PDA

View Full Version : Ho ho ho

Ninjazanus
07-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Ok, so in mini block, I've been playing this ftk Nicholas the Saint deck, but I need to make sure there have been no errata's or rulings that would make it not work.

Solid Santa reads "at the start of the game, place 12 Xmas tokens on the card." my theory was to use Here comes a New Challenger to switch him in and since its not the start of the game, he gets no counters so you form with santa you win.

Does this work?

Da_ghetto_gamer
07-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Obviously the way that its worded means that he wouldnt get the counters when you switch your character so from the looks of it then it works....

But i would suggest that removing a counter be errata'd to part of the cost and not part of the effect so that way this doesnt work any more....since there wouldnt be any counters to remove to pay the cost and the ability wouldnt be able to be played

Ninjazanus
07-27-2010, 02:41 PM
You would be the first to comment, wouldnt you. Anyway, I like the idea for errata, by which I mean I hate you for eliminating my ftk.

Da_ghetto_gamer
07-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Hahaha i was the first person to even view it...which is kind of funny actually

But yeah i always hate it when i find awesome combos like that and something happens to nerf them but its all part of the game and obviously legacy cant go on with a i check a 4 and win the game combo if it wants to actually get played at all

Link
07-27-2010, 02:59 PM
It was ruled that you had to start with at least 1 token for it to work, So if you switched to a new Santa that character had no tokens on

It was ruled like this because of Twelve

Tagrineth
07-27-2010, 04:08 PM
He says "if you have NO MORE tokens..." which implies having had one at some point and lost it.

Yoko Charming Fox
07-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Ha ha, I thought of the exact same thing when Here comes a new challenger we released.

Da_ghetto_gamer
07-28-2010, 12:37 PM
that makes sense and all but it seems too much to ask for a newer player to just know thats how it works...can we get some kind of errata or something so that way its not so difficult to understand when reading the cards for the first time

aslum
07-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Is it really that likely that a "newer player" will have a St. Nick? I mean, it wasn't the easiest promo to get a hold of.

Tagrineth
07-29-2010, 01:45 AM
that makes sense and all but it seems too much to ask for a newer player to just know thats how it works...can we get some kind of errata or something so that way its not so difficult to understand when reading the cards for the first time

This is really a case of "If it's too good to be true..." though. If it was at any point a legal play, the HCANC-into-St.Nick deck would've been HUGE in tournaments, would still be a fixture of Legacy play, and nobody would ever start with St. Nick because *Twelve* auto-wins against him.

Da_ghetto_gamer
07-31-2010, 04:18 PM
This is really a case of "If it's too good to be true..." though. If it was at any point a legal play, the HCANC-into-St.Nick deck would've been HUGE in tournaments, would still be a fixture of Legacy play, and nobody would ever start with St. Nick because *Twelve* auto-wins against him.

True enough i guess....i dont know i just never liked the whole its a ruling because we say thing...thats why i always like to try and fix problems and such when they arise so it doesnt evolve to that

AnarchyInc
08-15-2010, 05:46 AM
I saw this and just felt like I should offer my two cents. I tried something like this in tournament when HCNA came out, and it was judge ruled that discarding a token was part of the cost (despite how it's written on the card), so challenging in with no token then trying to use the ability wouldn't work. I don't know if it was officially errated to that effect, I just know it would likely be ruled.

guitalex2010
08-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Why are we assuming that by doing HCANC the tokens go away? That's MY first thought. You change your CHARACTER, but the tokens stay. You also have no other way of removing the tokens other than Nicholas the Saint, so why is this a question? To me, when you use HCANC and pick... promo Adon, promo Adon will have 12 X-mas tokens that can NEVER be removed. EVER. EVER, because you switched Nick out, even if you switch Nick in, those are not the same tokens because it's not the same card.

But yes, you have to have tokens on it before you win the game because it's worded "if you have no more" then you win.

GouHadou
02-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Alex, you misread- NtS is in the deck, to be fished out with HCANC. the starting character is irrelevant.

relevant point: NtS references having "no more" tokens. you cannot ever fulfill this stipulation without having tokens in the first place.