PDA

View Full Version : Ruling Before Worlds (Please Read)

jason
07-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I have posted this here so no one is left out of the loop for worlds. There have been several issues with face-down cards in the staging area. Here is what we ruled.

Ruling on face-down cards *IN THE STAGING AREA*

There are very limited references in the AGR in regards to face-down cards in the staging area. Here is what we know:

2.13.9 A card turned face-down has no traits.
2.13.9.1 Any effects referencing a printed number on a face-down card would see that number as a 0.
4.3.7 A player may look at the reverse side of a face down card in their staging area.

It looks like we will have to replace the ruling on Deceptively Quick. Because you can only look at face down cards in YOUR staging area, we cannot use the title of the card to refer to that card, as that is private knowledge and you cannot show your opponent. A face-down card considered to be a foundation with a blank text box, has no Title (because it is face down), and thus cannot share it's Title with any other card. This means Deceptively Quick will only give +1 speed if a face-down foundation is targeted. However, if a foundation that is face-up but with a blank text box is targeted, it will still count it's copies, because it still has a Title.

The word Trait in the rules only refers to Keyword Traits, and Character Traits which are a very small group.

Until we release a new rules document that clarifies "Traits", face-down cards, and several other issues more clearly, we will go by this ruling on face down cards drawn from what we know from the AGR:

All face-down cards in your staging area are treated as a foundation with a blank Text box (Momentum is a separate zone from your staging area). It has no traits (keyword or character), any effect referencing a printed number is 0, and It has NO Title, as this is indeed a private zone and your opponent cannot look at the cards face. This is similar to the ruling on Lynnett's Shop. When the card it copied was destroyed, it became a foundation with a blank text box, but since it was face up it still had a title.

There are NO resource symbols, Text, block, or anything else on the card, unless it was given an ability or trait from another card.

That means in this case with The Anti K, the printed values are 0 and the lowest difficulty would be 0 for X.

I apologize for the original ruling. We will be sure to address face down cards in the staging area very clearly in the next edition of the AGR.

-Jason

Baranor
07-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Very well done. Well ruled and clearly a reasoned out clarification. This further confirms my belief that the game is in most capable hands.

TripsEX
07-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Yes, but will it blend?

HypeMan!
07-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Yes it will.

Good ruling, I like seeing common sense things getting put down in writing just so there won't be any cheese being pushed through because of logic loop holes. Keep up the good work.

aslum
07-29-2010, 01:21 AM
I'll second that. Color me excited to see such sensible rulings being made. (:

Sketch
07-29-2010, 01:27 AM
Thanks Jason. Much appreciated that this was tackled head-on and not mid-tourney!

Bloodrunstrue
07-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Good rulings, so far I can see nothing wrong with it.

Cheers Jasco
Bloodrunstrue