PDA

View Full Version : Bloodrunstrue's weekly poll 5: Do you feel there is enough interactivity in standard?

Bloodrunstrue
07-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Hello again fellow players

For this week's poll I've decided to cover the issue of interactivity between players, but first let me explain why: Me and my brother and 2 other friends were playing a four way game of standard UFS, I was playing fire Jin Kazama, my brother was playing Earth King, first friend was playing Air Xianghua and other friend was using Water Amy (He loves challenges).

We found that during our 2 games that only really Amy had any sort of interaction between herself and the opponent... the other three characters were just a matter of how big can I make this attack? With the only interaction being damage reduction from an opponent.

I won the first game and King won the second but i'm sad to say that we couldn't be bothered to play game 3 since it was pretty boring :/

So this leads me to this week's question I ask of the community: Do you feel there is enough interaction between players in standard UFS?
This question is entirely open so answer how you wish, I belive that more interaction is desperately needed in future sets.

Also, on another note, how are your playerbases doing in terms of numbers recently?

See you in the arena
Bloodrunstrue

TripsEX
07-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm going to reserve this space to so I can ask, "What the Hell do you mean by 'interaction?'"

What the Hell do you mean by "interaction?"

Oh, and my group is around 4 people right now.

RockStar
07-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Have to ask the same as TripsEX...what DO you mean by 'interaction'? In one sense, and without knowing just what kind of interaction you are wanting more of, i will answer this way: Standard has no legitimate Stall, or Mill...so, automatically, it has A LOT of player interaction, whereas the aforementioned Stall and Mill decks only encourage a form of Solitaire that is truly unhealthy for this game.

Please qualify your question, and i'm happy to answer further.

Yoko Charming Fox
07-31-2010, 12:53 AM
There is no where near enough interaction right now. Right now the game feels like your playing a fighting game and all thats going on is button mashing, compared to previous formats where much more stratagy was involved.

BTW, by interaction he means stuff that effects your opponents control checks and difficulty like Blood Runs True, stuff that limits their ability to attack such as Arragance, things that commit their stuff on their turn on there turn like Ring Veteran or Program Malfunction, negation like Lost Memories, and anything that just generaly screws with your oppenents play like You Will Not Escape. Stuff like that, and anything that just generaly controls, cards which are lacking in this format.

My play group is made up of 4 people right now, with 3 who might start up again.

Tagrineth
07-31-2010, 03:40 AM
not quite. There need to be more ways to slow down the inevitable aggro 2nd-turn onslaught.

Although part of the problem is people need to pack decent blocks in their deck and be careful about how they USE them.

TripsEX
07-31-2010, 03:46 AM
The Combo Keyword is making most attack strings predictable right now, so learn your strings folks!

RockStar
07-31-2010, 11:59 AM
There is no where near enough interaction right now. Right now the game feels like your playing a fighting game and all thats going on is button mashing, compared to previous formats where much more stratagy was involved.

BTW, by interaction he means stuff that effects your opponents control checks and difficulty like Blood Runs True, stuff that limits their ability to attack such as Arragance, things that commit their stuff on their turn on there turn like Ring Veteran or Program Malfunction, negation like Lost Memories, and anything that just generaly screws with your oppenents play like You Will Not Escape. Stuff like that, and anything that just generaly controls, cards which are lacking in this format.

My play group is made up of 4 people right now, with 3 who might start up again.

There's a reason such cards are lacking in this format: they're broke as hell, and perpetuate an NPE.

While i acknowledge this is a card game, it is, in fact, a card game based upon arcade fighting games. And, yes, i also acknowledge that this game feels more like Killer Instinct Button Masher's Delight, rather than, say, Tekken or SoulCalibur...2 arcade fighters that UFS had rights to, and which are way more strategic! That aspect is going to change with the upcoming Set/s, methinks.

Still, saying that what this game needs a healthy dose of cards that ran it into the ground in the first place is ridiculous.

Hatman
07-31-2010, 01:18 PM
A) Replace "Interaction" with "Responses" and your posts makes a LOT more sense.

B) We need more responses, yes.

C) About 5-6 depending on whether I stay around or not.

Bloodrunstrue
07-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Sorry, I should have clarified my question further.

By Interaction I mean cards that encourage responses between both players and get both players involved on either turn, so for example a card that works during your opponent's turn.

The reason I ask this question is because at the moments the game does, indeed, feel like button mashing where the only real interaction seems to be damage reduction and reversals as opposed to abilites that let you react to your opponent's plays.

I hope this clarifies things, if not please tell me so I can try and explain further.
also playerbase responses are better than what I was expecting so far, keep it up :)

Thankyou
Bloodrunstrue

JinKazama
07-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Right now the game feels like your playing a fighting game
I don't see what's wrong with that.

Da_ghetto_gamer
07-31-2010, 04:05 PM
There isnt enough interaction between players because you basically know exactly whats coming when it happens and either you can stop it by blocking or with your massive wall of fire or you sit there and eat it because you dont have the right blocks or you overextended on your turn and failed to get the kill

We need more responsive things in the game...not exactly straight up control but ways to throw your opponent off a bit and slow the game down to a turn 5 or 6 ko and not all this turn 2 or 3 nonsense going around

Bloodrunstrue
07-31-2010, 04:07 PM
I don't see what's wrong with that.

The only real problem is that it tends to play like: My turn, make my cards. Your turn, make your cards, My turn make my cards attack, Your turn make your cards attack and so on. There is no real interaction between the players besides blocking, reversals and damage reduction.

Don't get me wrong I love standard format, but I really think it needs to be more than that, y'know?
Keep up the discussion
Bloodrunstrue

Yoko Charming Fox
08-01-2010, 12:40 AM
There's a reason such cards are lacking in this format: they're broke as hell, and perpetuate an NPE.

While i acknowledge this is a card game, it is, in fact, a card game based upon arcade fighting games. And, yes, i also acknowledge that this game feels more like Killer Instinct Button Masher's Delight, rather than, say, Tekken or SoulCalibur...2 arcade fighters that UFS had rights to, and which are way more strategic! That aspect is going to change with the upcoming Set/s, methinks.

Still, saying that what this game needs a healthy dose of cards that ran it into the ground in the first place is ridiculous.
Sorry, I was not trying to say that those cards needed to be brought back, I was just trying to give extream examples of player interaction that everyone would recognize, because the fist two post said that they didn't understand what Bloodrunstrue ment by interaction.

And for the record I don't think that Ring Vet, You Will Not Escape, and Lost Memories had much to do with killing the game sence they were long rotated when contol was dominating the meta (Programe Malfunction and Blood Runs True are another sory, especially Blood Runs True). That said, I really don't want to see another form of You Will Not Escape get printed.

Hatman
08-01-2010, 10:40 AM
YWNE was "reprinted" with Alba3 and Keep Your Cool, however, Alba3 was much more powerful than KYC and no one even played him.

As I said, we need more punitive responses, but preferably from actions, and with a cost.

Bloodrunstrue
08-01-2010, 02:21 PM
i'm not trying to say that the likes of YWNE or BRT should be reintroduced into the game, i'm trying to say that there needs to be more interaction between the two players as opposed to I make my cards you make your cards, GG.

Still, keep up the discusiion, discussion is always good.
Thankyou
Bloodrunstrue

HypeMan!
08-01-2010, 09:48 PM
There really isn't that much by way of abilities and card effects that cross the table during turns. There needs to be more of that back and forth during the game to keep it interesting and exciting. While Reversals are great and all, more things like Es to play on your opponents turns and some Rs would be nice to see with the growth of the environment. As of right now I'm not surprised by the lack of interplay during games, since the current sets were designed to counter a turtle-control heavy environment and inject some much needed aggro into the game. But now that is all that is left and no one really wants to damage boost your opponents attacks. (Though it would be cool to see a set of cards that would encourage that for some cool effects. Yay getting yourself punched harder?)

Yoko Charming Fox
08-02-2010, 12:57 AM
i'm not trying to say that the likes of YWNE or BRT should be reintroduced into the game, i'm trying to say that there needs to be more interaction between the two players as opposed to I make my cards you make your cards, GG.

Thankyou
Bloodrunstrue
Agreed.............

Hatman
08-02-2010, 09:13 PM

Thankyou
Bloodrunstrue
It's called Responses. No, there aren't a lot right now in Standard.

Bloodrunstrue
08-04-2010, 02:26 PM
It's called Responses. No, there aren't a lot right now in Standard.

So should there be more??

How should they be implemented?