PDA

View Full Version : UFS needs new licensed content

jhorphear
08-06-2010, 02:20 PM
hi everyone, im new to the game but quickly falling in love with it. i was giving some thought and there are deffinatly some licensed content jasco games could pickup to really make a good push for the games third life. i know jasco games probly doesnt have alot of cash since they picked up the game, but if they could manage to pickup any of the following licenses they could really make some cash.

Dragonball - the upper deck game is dead as far as i know, and this system would work really well with it.

Mortal Combat - ive never seen mortal combat in a TCG before.

Star Wars - the system would work i think, but the license would cost anywhere from 5-10 million, probly a little too rich.

Ninja turtles - would be an instant success based on nostalgia alone

Berserk/Hellsing - two of the most epic animes i have ever watched, also alot of manga to get content from, and since the anime market has collapsed the licenses would probly be dirt cheap

tell me what you guys think, seeing as i dont really know the history of UFS to well these ideas might already have been discussed and shot down. please enlighten me :-)

RockStar
08-06-2010, 02:29 PM
I agree with you that it would be very nice indeed if Jasco could license another IP. That said, i don't see that happening in the next year, if only because doing so might be prohibitively expensive for them at this point.

However, i disagree with every potential license you named:

DBZ...at one time this would've made sense, but its popularity has waned pretty significantly.

Mortal Combat...hasn't been innovative or considered a mainstay Arcade Fighter in years! There are better ones out there that should be considered FIRST, like, say, SSFIV, for example!

Star Wars...not saying it wouldn't work. But, as you said, the licensing would be potentially outrageous (Jem!)!

Ninja Turtles...and while we're at it, Jasco should also try and pick up Naruto or Pokemon and convert it to UFS. Ugh!

Beserk/Hellsing...As it pertains to making a CCG, i think there are better Animes to consider. As an anime itself, good title!

KodiakZero
08-06-2010, 02:47 PM
I think the first title to be licensed by them would be a small one that doesn't profit much anymore; It would be cheaper for Jasco that way.

SMazzurco
08-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Ninja Scroll battle box

jhorphear
08-06-2010, 02:53 PM
well seeing as pokemon and naruto are already card games, your argument makes no sense.

i actually like the idea of ninja scroll, it could be cheap enough that jasco could pick it up. in fact most anime licenses could be really cheap to pickup.

also feel free to add your own suggestions, dont let me be the only one to feed the trolls.

RockStar
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
well seeing as pokemon and naruto are already card games, your argument makes no sense.

i actually like the idea of ninja scroll, it could be cheap enough that jasco could pick it up. in fact most anime licenses could be really cheap to pickup.

also feel free to add your own suggestions, dont let me be the only one to feed the trolls.

Firstly, i realize that sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet, but suffice it to say, that i didn't necessarily agree with your suggestions about Ninja Turtles because i'm necessarily a fan of card games nearly exclusively marketed toward young adults ages 12 or younger, which would be the demographic for NT. It's a little creepy for me showing up during a Pokemon league and seeing a bunch of 9 and 10 year olds playing against 40 year old men.

Secondly, i'm not sure if you were alluding to me being a "Troll" or not, but i take umbrage with that; i'm NOT, nor have i ever been that. However, if i came across that way, please accept my apologies.

That said, allow me to suggest that i think either Transformers or Voltron would make for viable translations into UFS. The former would perhaps breach that line of being prohibitively expensive, especially with the success of the live action movies, but could potentially be profitable as well.

I like the Ninja Scroll suggestion as well, as i'm a fan of that anime movie, too (not so much the series they released afterward).

Another suggestion: Fist of the North Star. Could be pretty rad.

And another: Ultraman and/or Godzilla. :)

jhorphear
08-06-2010, 04:02 PM
apollogy accepted, i am not really familliar with anyone here on the boards, so if i jumped to conclusions i too appologize.

as far as TMNT is concerned, if you have ever read the graphic novels, it was NEVER intended to be a childrens franchise, it just ended up that way. And i think the lower end of the demographic targeting the 14 y/o crowd isnt a bad thing. i have played many ccgs over the last 15 years and that seems to be about the age where the kiddies start to learn how to be competetive. Hell i got my ass stomped by a 13 y/o at magic, he was actually one of the best magic players i have seen under the age of 18.

and there seems to be a recurring theme of wanting anime series converted into UFS. I think this should be something JascoGames should look into. Seeing as the only anime themed CCG had terrible mechanics ( animayhem ).

RockStar
08-06-2010, 04:05 PM
The original Eastman/Laird TMNT are my favorites. I'm just worried that what that series has turned into might be too "kiddie", at least for my tastes.

And, yeah, apology accepted. And welcome to the wonderful world of UFS!! :)

Birch
08-06-2010, 04:42 PM
This game is based off of fighting games.... NOT ANIME. no offense to anyone who wants i know plenty of u people out there do, but it would lead to alot of bitching to jasco if he picked up any anime, because everyone and their mother would just complain until their favorties got picked up...

Teagus
08-06-2010, 05:08 PM
This game is based off of fighting games.... NOT ANIME. no offense to anyone who wants i know plenty of u people out there do, but it would lead to alot of bitching to jasco if he picked up any anime, because everyone and their mother would just complain until their favorties got picked up...

Picking up an anime or any other non-fighting game IP wouldn’t change anything? The complaining already happens regularly :P and will inevitably continue thru the games lifetime. UFS was based on fighting games till ffg added shadowar. JG's new set doesn’t seem to be a console fighting game either. I personally don’t really see much difference between making up characters for a set and choosing a non fighting game theme to base a set from other then not having to pay for a license. Personally I'd rather see a new lecense regardless of where it originated then the 50th version of Ken or chun Li

I do believe that games and anime that have already had a ccg should be avoided. Many of them are struggling or have already failed and would just make ufs look bad as people would remember the other game system that had the title. i remember when i first started many stores wouldnt carry ufs cause they got burnt on a mortal combat ccg that failed not long before UFS came about. I also prefer to keep the games geared towards the more adult audience, ive always liked that UFS has drawn a more mature crowd and hope it always stays that way.

Tagrineth
08-06-2010, 05:23 PM
It's a little creepy for me showing up during a Pokemon league and seeing a bunch of 9 and 10 year olds playing against 40 year old men.

God forbid something successfully bridges the generation gap.

FYI the very first UFS set ever released was a WEBCOMIC.

Teagus
08-06-2010, 05:42 PM
FYI the very first UFS set ever released was a WEBCOMIC.

lol i forgot bout that, i even have a few battleboxes floatin round my closet too :D

Hatman
08-06-2010, 06:52 PM
God forbid something successfully bridges the generation gap.

Rare are the things that can bridge that gap. Rarer still are the things that can be GOOD while trying to bridge that gap.

jhorphear
08-06-2010, 07:24 PM
lol i forgot bout that, i even have a few battleboxes floatin round my closet too :D

i am actually an avid penny-arcade reader/fanboi, and that in no way encouraged me to play UFS.

i'm probably just spouting off nonsense at this point, but there is something special to be said for a game that has died twice already and still got revived. this is a truly unique game and it can really take advantage of any IP it wants. i am definitely starting to see that most of the core players would like the game to stay with fighting game based IP, but there is only so much you can do with fighting games. just throwing my 2 cents out there, but as long as UFS avoids pro wrestling i'm sure the game will survive its second resurrection.

Yoko Charming Fox
08-06-2010, 07:43 PM
I watched some clips of Hellsing to death metal music the not long ago, and just based of what I saw of Hellsing from those clips I think that it would totaly kick ass if JGs got the licence to Hellsing.

I would also really want Darkstalkers back and would like to see Blaz Blue, and Gultiy Gear.

Hatman
08-06-2010, 08:31 PM
as long as UFS avoids pro wrestling i'm sure the game will survive its second resurrection.
These words.

They are to be qualified as fighting.

Morning Demon
08-06-2010, 08:42 PM
These words.

As long as UFS avoids TNA. I'm sure the game will survive it's second resurrection.

jhorphear
08-06-2010, 09:03 PM
These words.

sorry, i just prefer my fake fighting to be animated :p

Hatman
08-07-2010, 12:03 AM
As long as UFS avoids TNA. I'm sure the game will survive it's second resurrection.

As long as UFS avoids Vince Russo/Eric Bischoff/Dixie Carter, you mean. The performers are pretty damn decent if they're under the age of 40, IIRC.

michel3105
08-07-2010, 03:07 AM
As long as I'm concerned, I'd prefer UFS to stay in the beat'em up environment. I'd love to see an Arc System Works licence, but if this is not possible, anime/fighting inspired things like Red Horizon are welcome.

While cross lincences between fighting games have happened and are still happening, I would be uneasy if my Capcom or Snk character would be challenged by, say, a Jedi Knight or a Ninja Turtle...

marauders1972
08-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Bring on Mortal Kombat !!! Finnish him !!! It would be great....Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Johnny Cage, Reptile...the list goes on :) Pokemen ??? DBZ ??? Whatchu' talkin' about Willis ??!!!

Ninja's rule
08-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Bring on Mortal Kombat !!! Finnish him !!! It would be great....Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Johnny Cage, Reptile...the list goes on :) Pokemen ??? DBZ ??? Whatchu' talkin' about Willis ??!!!

Get over here!!!

MarthWMaster
08-08-2010, 12:29 AM
well seeing as pokemon and naruto are already card games, your argument makes no sense.This quote makes no sense. He didn't mention Pokemon or Naruto as licenses he would like to see.

Wilding
08-08-2010, 03:24 PM
My suggestion, as it has been for a while....Double Dragon.

One of the first "fighting" games I ever played, and likely to be able to be picked up cheap. Also, anyone in the age range for UFS, at least most of us, probably remembers DD.

Hatman
08-08-2010, 10:55 PM
My suggestion, as it has been for a while....Double Dragon.

One of the first "fighting" games I ever played, and likely to be able to be picked up cheap. Also, anyone in the age range for UFS, at least most of us, probably remembers DD.

Finding out who has the rights, however, will be hard. Double Dragon was, IIRC, a Technos Japan Corp. property, and once they blew up, their rights were scattered all over. Million grabbed Kunio-Kun (and are now getting Arc System Works to do games for those, games we will likely never see :( :( :( ) but who grabbed DD is up in the air.

However, getting in contact with Evoga for Rage of the Dragons (a Double Dragon inspired fighting game that, while it had it's share of problems, had an AMAZING soundtrack and character design) may be more doable and profitable.

rAn
08-08-2010, 11:00 PM
UFS really just needs the license to a game that is still alive or has an iteration released in the past 3 to 4 years. Sure, having some of these older games from our younger years would be awesome for us, but wouldn't really strengthen the game by bringing new people in.

DaiAndOh
08-09-2010, 02:16 AM
To be realistic, while I'm not a fan of say the current properties in standard, I doubt there's gonna be much of any new licenses. It'll depend on the success of the revival imo.

Fanboy dreaming a bit, I need a dang ASW property in my card game life.

michel3105
08-09-2010, 07:13 AM
However, getting in contact with Evoga for Rage of the Dragons (a Double Dragon inspired fighting game that, while it had it's share of problems, had an AMAZING soundtrack and character design) may be more doable and profitable.

Wow, I love this game too... Awesome Characters and fun!...

But it's not famous enough.

Vexion
01-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Fighting games I would like to see: Bloody Roar, Killer Instinct, Evil Zone, Mortal Kombat, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear (probably could make the most money off this since it's still ongoing), and for SnGs, I would like to see Clay Fighter (NOSTALGIA!)

Animes I would like to see converted to UFS: They would have to involve a lot of fighting as the ground of the series.... Therefore, I can only say Fist of the North Star (Hokutoshinken vs Hado, who would win!?), and the original, japanese versions of Kinnikuman (japan only).... Kinnikuman Nisei (series 2) was also known as Ultimate Muscle in America, but it was one 4Kids got a hold of... So the whole ripping people and half and death and blood was completely taken out (go read the originals, so very not four kids [horrible pun i know]).... honestly, yes, Kinnikuman did become very wrestling oriented, but it's about chojin (Supermen) for goodness sakes! It's even got a reference to Ultraman! In fact, it was created as a parody of Ultraman before it started focusing on pro wrestling (of which the matches were never staged, and lots of blood, broken bones, and death ensued!)

Seriously... I would so LOVE to see Kinnikuman and Kinnikuman Nisei in UFS.... I'd suffer joygasm induced cardiac arrest the instant I learn of it xD.

Starsoulklr
01-05-2011, 10:25 AM
UFS was based on fighting games till ffg added shadowar.

Wait I though Sabertooth was working on Shadowars before they gave the game to FFG.

ANYwho while it is nice and all to discuss about new franchises to add I would rather see Jasco aim for a few the game had before the license exchange and even then just a few.

Hatman
01-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Wait I though Sabertooth was working on Shadowars before they gave the game to FFG.

ANYwho while it is nice and all to discuss about new franchises to add I would rather see Jasco aim for a few the game had before the license exchange and even then just a few.
At this point, I'd aim for a "timeless" license rather than a fad one.

Trip Se7ens
01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Just so you know, we are currently working on getting "Barney and Friends," it is timeless and will help sell to little kids, and we will make it grossly overpowered so you will buy it and play with it! 8D

SMazzurco
01-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Just so you know, we are currently working on getting "Barney and Friends," it is timeless and will help sell to little kids, and we will make it grossly overpowered so you will buy it and play with it! 8D

Isn't one of the chicks that was on barney an "adult film" star or something?

Hatman
01-05-2011, 11:39 AM
That being said.

PREVIEWS GODDAMMIT I WANNA SEE BARNEY'S HUG ATTACK IT BETTER BE A 14 DAMAGE BASE THROW.

Vexion
01-05-2011, 12:01 PM
That being said.

PREVIEWS GODDAMMIT I WANNA SEE BARNEY'S HUG ATTACK IT BETTER BE A 14 DAMAGE BASE THROW.

With the following; "E: Sing the "I Love You, You Love Me" song out LOUD, and this attack's base damage is increased to OVER 9000 and unblockable. You win every game in a ten mile radius, including games that are not UFS, if this attack deals damage. Afterwords you must make a public apology on national television for daring to use such an appalling song, and submit to regular 'special hugs' from the big purple dinosaur himself, while enduring a beat down from anyone who has TAKEN A LEVEL IN BADASS"....

I'm twisted when I'm tired :-}

Edit: After this post had been made, this thread has reached 666 views.... Therefore... I must be evil incarnate... MUWAHAHAHAHA!