PDA

View Full Version : 6th Place Worlds 2010 - King -

Cain Valentine
08-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Okay so here is my 6th place king deck from gencon 2010.

1 King.

4 Ready to Launch

3 Jaguar Mask

4 Cobra Clutch
4 Cobra Twist
4 Flinging Half Nelson

4 Bloodline Rebellion
4 Brooding
4 Enemies Now Friends
4 Ka Technique
3 Killer Android
3 King of the Ring
3 Memories of a Nightmare
4 Paid to Protect
3 Strange Fashion
4 The Man Behind the Mask
4 Torn Hero

SB: 3 No Forgiveness!
SB: 2 Ancient Burial Site
SB: 3 Undisputed Ruler

This deck preformed really well over the weekend at Gencon. Screwing over your opponents draws might only seem cute but as your building up your turns even with no throws in hand ( thanks to Jag Mask ) every turn you can use king to grab a high throw and the mask to grab a Cobra Twist combo E. Of course when you get a King of the Ring your screwing over 2 cards a draw step.. Its seriously effective in this format.

The deck had plenty of damage redux to survive through a flurry of attacks. Constant damage pump on throws just bodies people. Blanking foundations or assets vai Ka or Memories is much like screwing over draws, Unbelievably affective in this format. Earth is quite a good symbol.

The deck was designed to defend against the flurry of Hilde decks in the format. P2P is just nuts vs Hilde. However, I never got to go against one.

Well Im gonna try to get a report up in the next few days so enjoy the deck list.

~Cain Valentine

RockStar
08-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Congrats on showing so well at this year's Worlds, man! King is definitely a beast!!

Cain Valentine
08-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Yeah thanks man. It was a really good time. Everyone there was awesome. I just hope my deck helps shows that fire dont own this format. Good dose lol. But seriously.. You dont have to play fire to win. This is proof... King is a beast!

RockStar
08-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Well, the one truism about current Standard is that creativity IS rewarded. You're absolutely right: Fire, while very powerful in this format, does not completely own this format.

Congrats on piloting a creative deck to victory!! Sans PotM, too!!

dutpotd
08-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Just wanted to congratulate you on the top 8 finish. I was the Hilde that finished 6th and was diversified, and I beat the 'other' King deck in round 5 to go to 4-1. I hope the other King deck posts as well because it was amazing also, and I'd be interested to see how different your guys deck's played.

Can't wait to read your report! (also, I'm Hilde and ran more attacks than you? so please stop crying about decks with few attacks it is silly and this is coming from the guy that lost to Bittner's 4 attack deck last worlds and now Olexa's 3 this world's)

- dut

ps.

I also wanted to state my opinion that P2P isn't any good agaisnt Hilde... At least, any Hilde that runs Good or dual/tri symbols granted we run Memories of a Nightmare to blank it.

If we aren't Good the Siren's call just commits P2P as the last enhance it makes for -2 to the massive pump.

Similarily, a response from Hilde's foundation persevering despite rejection turns our throws into 50+ damage when the speed is returned which is often just as bad (not always due to strange fashion).

Cain Valentine
08-09-2010, 02:06 AM
While yes, It has ways to deal with it while you are forced to deal with it Im throwing throws and trying to slow down your draw. like I said, I never got to play a hilde at gencon however, In all of our testing it allowed us to deal with hilde even the dreaded throw and perserving combo that is what strange fashion is for lol. But hilde is good. Sorry to hear about your diversification. It happened to me in Legacy.

Ps. No Forgiveness is to eat your memories of a nightmare.

dutpotd
08-09-2010, 02:12 AM
Ps. No Forgiveness is to eat your memories of a nightmare.

No Forgiveness eats everything/anything... and it has to do damage, not gonna happen against Hilde unless you are timing it perfectly early on. We just wait and reduce the attack you play it on, and with all the revealing of hands we 'almost always' get it right :)

Cain Valentine
08-09-2010, 02:14 AM
Say that to amy and her Strange Fashions.. I can time em right. :P But Its all about fun really. It was just a great experance for me. I met alot of great guys this year. Like you, Omar, Dave, Keegan and Ray and your all great guys. Seriously your all winners in my book.

dutpotd
08-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Say that to amy and her Strange Fashions.. I can time em right. :P But Its all about fun really. It was just a great experance for me. I met alot of great guys this year. Like you, Omar, Dave, Keegan and Ray and your all great guys. Seriously your all winners in my book.

100% agree and same or more back to you. Just wanted to point out Hilde has incredibly good defense against practically the only thing that hurts her (okay there is a lot that hurts her but yaknow where I'm going with this).

Hilde has, in my mind, been a cleaer best since Tekken's set as far as most consistency, most potential (early kill), and frankly best defenses (if willing to tri/dual there are multiple answers for everything) and yet hardly anyone agreed (there was all/only talk about fire, 'any character with fire', and she wasn't on nearly enough player's lists of bests).

At the same time Hilde is one of the hardest characters to use, a beginner often gets the math wrong or doesn't have the experience to know when/how to defend 18 vitality in a game dominated by big damage attacks.

I'm not saying ban or anything silly, but people need to give her credit and ensure they build answers and are ready for a control battle against her 'if' they can't kill her turn 3/4 or sooner. Frankly, I think some players were ready for her (you obviously as I can tell from your responses above), but the VAST majority were not, and this is why Olexa won so consistently (only two losses) and why I had an equally easy time when I wasn't checking 1 of 3 two checks on turn 1 or on blocks turn 2.

I only want to bring public visibility to her and her tricks as to push the envelope of deck design and player skill level, that is the only reason I spend so much time posting and I thank any and all who appreciate it.

- dut

Cain Valentine
08-09-2010, 03:05 AM
Dont misunderstand me Dut. Hilde is a great deck. My hilde deck I have sitting here in front of me is tri symbol running King's Reverse DDT as its kill. I dont even need to blank P2P i just Preserve after a p2p and they die anyways. Hilde is right now the best character. I just want people to realize if your fast enough like King or Jin is you can go though hilde. Its just a battle.

Yes, I do believe I was prepard for Hilde. I spent alot of time testing.. game after game after game after game. hours spent. But, Anyone can win if you just put your mind to it and find away around your opponents tricks. Like a well timed power of the edge.. Or letting you waste all kinds of redux then valued but not trusted. Even just wait to do redux after the big E. You can find away you just have to work at it.

But you know all of this. I just want like I said, people to see that fire is not the only way to go. For months, I was the only non fire player in my group. I played king for a year straight and it brought me here. I just cant wait for next year.

~Cain

Sieg
08-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Yeah dude you were my hardest match along with Hilde and Jin. You hit my Amy deck right and another game against you that day i was not looking forward to. depending on what happens with Hilde im gonna need to figure a way with Amy to kill her but i also need to see how to fight you! you and i are rivals but dude those were some fun games!

Cain Valentine
08-17-2010, 09:11 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!

I got a rival?!? How the hell did that happen. Well... Wait... if your my rival now, That makes me your nemisis.. Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.

So Sieg, Bring it.

Sieg
08-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Your greatest rival can be a great friend too. i'll take up that challenge!