PDA

View Full Version : Dut's Gencon Report #1 - General comments on UFS post Gencon experience

dutpotd
08-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Ah, writing up UFS reports how I’ve missed thee. It has only been a little over half a year but damn it feels like too long!

Before I get into the meats and potatoes of it I wanted to touch on the ‘state’ of the game. Frankly, I love it. It is fast, it is a frenzy, and by golly - if you aren’t unlucky with early game checks - control is still viable when played intelligently.

I will be posting 2 Gencon related reports and 2 deck builds/discussion relative to Gencon 2010. They are:

- This thread
- Dut’s Gencon Report #2 - The experience, Extended World Champion and Standard 9th (?) place after diversifying out of a 6th place finish
- Gill, Good/Order/Death Trisymbol Extended Worlds Winner
- Hilde, Good/Order/Fire Trisymbol Standard Diversify-ee

I know a lot of UFS players, not as many as some of you - granted I’ve only been playing for two years now (started Gencon 2008), and they have been seriously skeptical (and some still are) about UFS’ latest change of hands. I’ve heard comments, made some myself, and have seen on the faces of players/friends or in their voices over the phone despair, doubt, and in some cases firm belief that this Jasco foray will fail. I want to set my opinion on this straight, since I haven’t voiced it to the entire public forum – ever; I feel doing so is important.

Going in to Gencon I was of the belief it would be one of if not my last UFS events, not because I want to quit playing, but because it just wouldn’t be played enough to warrant it. We have a player base in Calgary of 20-30 when we play named tourneys, usually 10 regulars twice a week otherwise. We haven’t played since January… Except for in private and between friends.

Jason and Co have done an incredible thing with Gencon this year, they have offered more than just a tournament and have really tried to grow the game with mass distributed promo, demos, and free starters/more. He needs to be commended to the end of days for his passion for keeping UFS around against all odds.

I thought we’d get 20 people out or a little more to singles, I wasn’t expecting anything because I didn’t want to be disappointed. When I opened my Gencon grab-bag on Wednesday night in my hotel I nearly choked on my own tongue when I saw the Nehtali promo in there, what followed was phone calls to my Scout and others for a few hours just ‘talking’ about “it” – “it” being marketed UFS, something I have NEVER seen (recall I started 2008).

Things at Gencon just got better from there on in, a well made booth/space on the floor, jam-packed demoes, 4 other promo cards that were printed and widely distributed, amazing art prints and new characters to look forward to getting to know, and a ~50 player singles event.

Long story short, I was in a “time will tell how this effort fails mode, meanwhile I will enjoy what little remains – the biggest part being the community”, now I am in a “I want to promote the game mode, I want to be a part of what I’ve always considered ‘my favorite competitive game ever’ ‘s ascension to widespread recognition in the gaming world., and I want to make it happen together with a community that is like none other”.

I firmly believe that Red Horizon will help, it is sexy as hell and there is a chick from Canada in it, and that ‘IF’ a new license is acquired or even an old popular one renewed (see Street Fighter) the game will see a revival, and I wouldn’t be surprised then to see 100 people again at a UFS worlds in Gencon 2011. I think this is entirely reasonable given the devotion Jason and Company have already shown and what I know to be the attractiveness of the UFS game.

I know that Gencon 2010 was a UFS success story in many ways, but I also know that there is a long way to go. The most important thing in my mind is to start playing again. Play standard, see how fast/fun it is, play extended, see how many options and new things you can do in a meta with recent bans and ever-growing card pool. Hell – play legacy and put together cards in combinations that make babies cry and iron cast stomachs puke.

Enjoy UFS again; get ready for the new Horizon of cards, and have some faith, try it, life is better that way. I’m determined to, and I look forward to seeing you all in person a few days before my 27th Birthday (which is November 10th ) at Neoncon for US Nationals November 4-7th in Las Vegas.

I for one have some work to do, and not just tax preparation for antsy clients… I WANT to rally my playgroup, work on expanding it and all between now and November. My personal goal is to have 4+ of us from Calgary down to Vegas, if everyone does their part, and I feel that helping my players travel to play is mine, UFS will succeed.

- Garett (dutpotd as you know me via forums)

ps – Herr is a Fudge Dip for not playing in at the very least extended this year.

pps – The goal of all UFS players is to get Fudge Dip playing as himself at Gencon 2011, cosplay costumes like that don’t go out of style!

ppps - An equally amazing Gencon 2011 goal is to get Hatman to actually attend for once, if only so I don’t have to read his precon posts that just say ‘I’m not going to be there…’

pppps – I’m never eating Cheesecake again.

RockStar
08-09-2010, 01:30 PM
This. Because it's so awesome! Thanks for posting and keeping the good vibes goin', man!! Hope to see you at an upcoming event this year!

Best,
RockStar

dutpotd
08-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Also, we just made a new MOST EVER ONLINE for these forums, as in today at 1pm. UFS is back and front and center :)

RockStar
08-09-2010, 01:34 PM
I DID see that, too! Yeah, Baby!!!!

Grizzlegrom
08-09-2010, 01:36 PM
So Garett wins Blue Card or did you win RTGT action (lol) and Drew won Orange Card :)

Good job Garett I told you that you'd get there. Couldn't find you sunday :(

Da_ghetto_gamer
08-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah Just noticed that as well! Things are starting to become amazing and im loving every minute of it!

Also thanks for the Tourney update im looking forward to seeing decklist of Top 8 decks from all events and other random event happenings im sure there were some fun times had somewhere!

Also im a little sad that nationals is going to be in Vegas thats a little outta my range over here in VA......does anyone know if there are going to be any tourneys out this way anytime soon?

failed2k
08-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Always a pleasure and looking forward to your reports my good man.

Hatman
08-09-2010, 08:07 PM
ppps - An equally amazing Gencon 2011 goal is to get Hatman to actually attend for once, if only so I don’t have to read his precon posts that just say ‘I’m not going to be there…’

Very likely to not happen. Whereas in 2006/2007/2008/2009/2010 I couldn't go because I was strapped for funds, in 2011 I probably won't be able to go because I can't get that weekend off.

dutpotd
08-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Very likely to not happen. Whereas in 2006/2007/2008/2009/2010 I couldn't go because I was strapped for funds, in 2011 I probably won't be able to go because I can't get that weekend off.

I'm beginning to think your lack of control over what you can and can't do in life (freedom) may be the reason you come across as bitter in many posts. If you can't ask for a weekend off a year in advance you need to find a new job...

- dut

HolyDragonCloud
08-09-2010, 08:50 PM

Hatman...I have to ask you this.

The hell are you doing with your vacation time?

Hatman
08-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Hatman...I have to ask you this.

The hell are you doing with your vacation time?

Simply put, senority rules over vacation time (unionized), and August is ALWAYS booked fully. I started working there a month ago. The closest person to me in terms of senority (in my dept.) has about 15-20 years more of it than I do.

I do need to find a new job, but attending a con is not the primary reason (the primary reason being that a dead-end job isn't exactly what I want to do with my life).

Morning Demon
08-09-2010, 10:09 PM
(the primary reason being that a dead-end job isn't exactly what I want to do with my life). What do you want to do with your life?????????

Baranor
08-10-2010, 01:11 AM
You mean UFS isn't part of your life goals?

ScottGaines
08-10-2010, 05:58 AM
DUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So proud of you man, top 8 in both events(before termination aka diversity) amazing job man! You are a freaking rockstar at ufs.

TripsEX
08-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Very likely to not happen. Whereas in 2006/2007/2008/2009/2010 I couldn't go because I was strapped for funds, in 2011 I probably won't be able to go because I can't get that weekend off. If that happened I would pay for you to quit your job at this point.