PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to win Worlds this year?

jason
06-19-2012, 03:05 PM
I just posted something that made me think about the meta and all of the great characters available right now. Here is my list of top characters that I think could win Worlds 2012. Please post your characters and thoughts as well!

(this is not in any kind of order)

Gabrek
Nehtali (either one)
Vespera
Satoshi
King
The Angels (either one)
Zoey
Sevastian
Kaden 1
Sascha
Any of the Champion characters
Miska
Eva
Truong
Zi Mei
Alice
Vincent Grey
Mei Lien
Super Skull man 33
Temujin (either one)
Xianghua
Mitsurugi
Siegfried
Cassandra
Yoshimitsu (that's right, I went there)
Reese
Amy
Kazuya
Paul Phoenix
Astrid
Tira
Kishiri
Jin
Heihachi
Yun-Soeng
Morathi
Kilik

This is my list of top competitors for 2012! Can't wait to see your thoughts and ideas.

dutpotd
06-19-2012, 03:21 PM
<Jason> Haha, here's my list of who has a chance to win - proceeds to list almost all standard legal characters.

Funny, but in a way I can't disagree, I'd say only about 33% of the ones you've listed above have a real chance though and, not surprisingly, the champion characters probably have the best of that.

I was going to start my own - 'WHO'S GOING TO WIN WORLDS THREAD' akin to the one I had last year in which most people guessed Eva right... - but wasn't going to do so until after the pro tour events end of this month.

That said, I will refrain from throwing in my hat until then. Okay, I lied - here is my chop down of your list:

Nehtali (either one)
Vespera
Satoshi
King
The Angels (either one)
Sevastian
Any of the Champion characters
Eva
Truong
Alice
Vincent Grey
Mei Lien
Super Skull Man 33
Mitsurugi
Cassandra
Amy
Kazuya
Paul Phoenix
Astrid
Tira
Kishiri
Heihachi
Morathi

HypeMan!
06-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Dut, O ye of little faith.

Grizzlegrom
06-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Truong will win lol

generalreaction2.0
06-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Truong will win lol

ill bet you a beer and some hamburgers that he doesn't.

dutpotd
06-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Dut, O ye of little faith.

Faith? I just eliminated the characters I'd know I'd never play hehe. Arrogance is more like it.

HypeMan!
06-19-2012, 11:59 PM
You've seen one of them played that you dropped :P And it's coming back bigger and badder than before

dutpotd
06-20-2012, 12:35 AM
You've seen one of them played that you dropped :P And it's coming back bigger and badder than before

Are we talking gabrek? Well, yeah, I have a tough time with him - he is good though - I just don't see him topping.

Skull_Knight
06-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Gentlemen it is now time for another edition of "Guess what Garrett is going to play for Gencon"!!! I'm gonna go with some sort of death deck...

My money is on Alice for winning Gencon this year. She is very strong and underplayed, and when fronted by a good player can cause some for very scary play.

I'm going to stick to my guns though, play :):):):) that you can't block. Lets see how far it gets me this year. I want that Cardboard!!!

KodiakZero
06-20-2012, 03:03 AM
I feel that Satoshi may be underestimated...

dutpotd
06-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I feel that Satoshi may be underestimated...

I underestimated him. Won't do that again. I'll revise my prediction but I'd put Satoshi top tier, i.e. top 10 of playable characters at the moment.

dutpotd
06-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Gentlemen it is now time for another edition of "Guess what Garrett is going to play for Gencon"!!! I'm gonna go with some sort of death deck...

Your guess is as good as mine.

Death, eh. Certainly one of my three top favorite symbols.

HypeMan!
06-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Are we talking gabrek? Well, yeah, I have a tough time with him - he is good though - I just don't see him topping.

7 rounds of Swiss to a top 16 cut. Nearly did that in MI, avoid play mistakes and retooling the deck plus that super secret dut-tech...

Nekuro
06-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Your guess is as good as mine.

Death, eh. Certainly one of my three top favorite symbols.

Wonder what the other two are... At a guess, Good and Order?

dutpotd
06-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Wonder what the other two are... At a guess, Good and Order?

Currently, Air/All - Death - Good. And no, you can't just name the symbols on Cursed Blood and think they are my favorite!!!

Grizzlegrom
06-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Currently, Air/All - Death - Good. And no, you can't just name the symbols on Cursed Blood and think they are my favorite!!!

why not everyone loves cursed blood ;) lol

Birch
06-20-2012, 05:26 PM
My list is prolly smaller. EVA, King, Vespa, Troung, Mike Lowe, Satoshi. Depends on the pilot and their match ups. I do think that a few more control decks can make top this year.

Nekuro
06-20-2012, 06:48 PM

I did think of Cursed Blood after naming them, but actually the one deck that got me thinking about Order was your tri-symbol Hilde :D

Shinji Mimura
06-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Man, nobody has mentioned *Zhao Daiyu* :/ if only people realized how good giving -5 to your opponent's checks is multiple times in a turn.

dutpotd
06-20-2012, 07:04 PM
I did think of Cursed Blood after naming them, but actually the one deck that got me thinking about Order was your tri-symbol Hilde :D

Ah yes, that is a great deck. However, I should note, it was mostly Fire to begin with, with a Good splash. Then I went Good with a Fire splash, and finally I added in some Order only cards - but the final version was 80% Good, 10% Fire, 10% Order.

TripsEX
06-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Jeremy.

Ray.

Grizzlegrom
06-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Jeremy.

Ray.

or who beats him in top cuts :P lol

Grizzlegrom
06-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Man, nobody has mentioned *Zhao Daiyu* :/ if only people realized how good giving -5 to your opponent's checks is multiple times in a turn.

she's ok but I dont think she's top tier material the top aggro decks in the format can just push through her :p

Shinji Mimura
06-21-2012, 01:20 AM
Not if they can't play their attacks.

HypeMan!
06-21-2012, 07:16 AM
For her to reuse her ability they have to play attacks.

KodiakZero
06-21-2012, 07:24 AM
she's ok but I dont think she's top tier material the top aggro decks in the format can just push through her :p

I do like her off Evil. Harnessing Chaos makes Twilight Embrace pretty annoying.

Archimedes
06-21-2012, 07:19 PM
I've only just started following this game again but I think a properly built and piloted Vespera deck could take it down.
Paralyzing touch is just too absurd to not try and abuse

TripsEX
06-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Jeremy.

Ray.

Birch
06-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Nick.

Markey.

RockStar
06-22-2012, 10:23 AM
I've only just started following this game again but I think a properly built and piloted Vespera deck could take it down.
Paralyzing touch is just too absurd to not try and abuse

Welcome back, Brett!! I used to be a part of Brynsul's play group in Santa Clara! Very nice to have you back, bro!

dart132
06-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Welcome back, Brett!! I used to be a part of Brynsul's play group in Santa Clara! Very nice to have you back, bro!

Welcome Back Brett! I'm in the same boat as Iari. Great to see you getting back into the game

dutpotd
06-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Welcome Back Brett! I'm in the same boat as Iari. Great to see you getting back into the game

I third this, except of course - I wasn't in that playgroup, a great mind and player back to UFS deserves all welcomes possible.

Shinguyi
06-22-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm definitely going to win worlds, with a record of 0-0-0. :D

*coughcough*

On a side note, Standard has a very good assortment of characters. Its going to be an unpredictable tournament. Wonder if there will be more people than last time.

Shinji Mimura
06-22-2012, 04:33 PM
For her to reuse her ability they have to play attacks.

Nope, not true

1. Her R works during either turn for any form they attempt to pass
2. Her E (that readies her) can be played during either attack and can be built into by way of Treacherous Offspring, Maniacal Laughter, and Ascending Zephyr (and by just attacking)
3. Dual Blade Rapture readies her instantly on her turn and combos nicely into Twilight Embrace

Also, as was mentioned earlier, Harnessing Chaos, combined with Zhao's ability, makes Twilight Embrace stupid dumb.

Zhao is severely underrated.

dutpotd
06-22-2012, 04:45 PM

Seriously Shinji? In a topic about who will win worlds you are backing Zhao? I agree she is underrated, but not so severely that she is (or would be if someone played her) a top contender for worlds.

Archimedes
06-22-2012, 06:51 PM
I think Zhao might be a combination of too reactive and too fragile to survive and then sustain.
She's good, but I don't think she's going to win Worlds.

TripsEX
06-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Jeremiah.

Von.

Ray.

Patorobok
06-23-2012, 01:30 AM
Mei.

Lien.

Order.

KodiakZero
06-23-2012, 03:33 AM
I think Zhao might be a combination of too reactive and too fragile to survive and then sustain.
She's good, but I don't think she's going to win Worlds.

If you get the Combo of Twilight Embrace off early you pretty much win. Its just fairly difficult doing so, and relying solely on 1 attack with many other attacks supporting it isnt good UFS.

makingsenseofus
06-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Nope, not true

1. Her R works during either turn for any form they attempt to pass
2. Her E (that readies her) can be played during either attack and can be built into by way of Treacherous Offspring, Maniacal Laughter, and Ascending Zephyr (and by just attacking)
3. Dual Blade Rapture readies her instantly on her turn and combos nicely into Twilight Embrace

Also, as was mentioned earlier, Harnessing Chaos, combined with Zhao's ability, makes Twilight Embrace stupid dumb.

Forms would only be played during the opposing player's turn. You can't use her to fail blocks anymore. She's good and effectively puts your opponent at -1 handsize, but not sure if she's world domination good.

Cetonis
06-23-2012, 07:02 AM
I think Zhao has the same problem I'm running into with promo Temujin - whatever you build with her, you're generally better off using some other character. Yeah, in this case you get Twilight Embrace, but for a 6HS with no particular own-turn draw or tutoring it's hard to consider that a major part of the strategy, not to mention that if it gets blocked (which will probably be often) you only get rid of two foundations on the deal, which isn't really worth the 8 difficulty and attack restrictions.

In my opinion the most realistic Zhao deck would involve stacking both copies in some order and getting mileage out of Wonderworld Warriors and Military Uniform, but that's still kind of janky and awkward and would trip all over itself about as often as it actually worked.

Nubian God
06-23-2012, 09:19 AM
I think Zhao has the same problem I'm running into with promo Temujin - whatever you build with her, you're generally better off using some other character. Yeah, in this case you get Twilight Embrace, but for a 6HS with no particular own-turn draw or tutoring it's hard to consider that a major part of the strategy, not to mention that if it gets blocked (which will probably be often) you only get rid of two foundations on the deal, which isn't really worth the 8 difficulty and attack restrictions.

In my opinion the most realistic Zhao deck would involve stacking both copies in some order and getting mileage out of Wonderworld Warriors and Military Uniform, but that's still kind of janky and awkward and would trip all over itself about as often as it actually worked.

If I've never seen it in action (back when the Tekken set came out, no less) from one of my previous players who've consistently turn 3 (sometimes turn 2) combo'd Twilight, I'd immediately agree. The card (and combo) is powerful in the earlier stages of the game, when taking just the 2 card removal from the Combo E would hurt. Now, Evil Zhao has access to Harnessing Chaos, which makes blocking an early game Twilight that much harder. Card recursion is a problem, but there are some tools out there that can help (Don't Forget This worked better for me than I thought it would) and I've seen some evil decks do a lot better than I thought they should. Heart of the cards, baby!

With that said, I don't see a Zhao going top 8.

TripsEX
06-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Jeremy.

Cray.

wafflecopter
06-23-2012, 12:01 PM
The biggest problem I have with Zhao is that she is pretty awful at blocking. Harnessing Chaos - Twinkle Hug is pretty strong, yeah, but if things aren't going according to plan you're just dead. 6 HS, weak access to draw power (Wonderworld Comics is easily the best she has, and it's tough to build the kind of foundation excess you want to really abuse that)... you just die too easily.

Grizzlegrom
06-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Jeremy.

Cray.

lol since when were you the president of the Jeremy Ray fan club?

tannerface
06-23-2012, 01:36 PM
That's what I am hoping for. Cause I think Jray would make his character the first champion stacker. Guy has played more stack champs than anyone ever.

Shinji Mimura
06-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Seriously Shinji? In a topic about who will win worlds you are backing Zhao? I agree she is underrated, but not so severely that she is (or would be if someone played her) a top contender for worlds.

In my list for characters that are Worlds-winning-worthy, Zhao is not among them. If you were to guess what my actual list is, you'd probably be right.

However, I'm not only a firm believer in dark horse characters, I know that a proper build with a proper pilot can do well given her ability to ruin cards for free and her access to Sweet Nothings as well as direct momentum that can feed her. Twinkie Hug is icing on the cake.

On a more serious note, of all the "underrated characters" who I feel do stand a chance, moreso than Zhao, I'd say Yun-Seong. I've never even heard of anybody running him, much less competing with him. His momentum-building enhance is so stupidly easy to build around.

ATLPiglet
07-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Eva, Morathi, Vespera, Skull Man, Zi Mei, Mei Lein, Angels, Mike Lowe, Truong, Kazuya, Amy, Grey, Alice, Tira

dutpotd
07-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Eva, Morathi, Vespera, Skull Man, Zi Mei, Mei Lein, Angels, Mike Lowe, Truong, Kazuya, Amy, Grey, Alice, Tira

You are missing the 'King' and Queen (Astrid) of Standard, UFS. What is wrong with you Piglet? :)

Birch
07-08-2012, 10:08 AM
He is just hating cuz I smashed him last year with king ;)

ATLPiglet
07-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Ha Actually I did forget king, but only if someone besides that scrub plays him ;]

Nfxon
07-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Someone who plays cards that do things.

generalreaction2.0
07-08-2012, 11:15 AM
we are gonna have new champions this year in every event type

HypeMan!
07-08-2012, 06:48 PM
I can side into King if that counts. Sad part, he's about the weakest link >:D

Rider kick
07-08-2012, 07:11 PM
I will finally become competitive and crush everything. :P

makingsenseofus
07-08-2012, 10:26 PM
There will be a new world champion (unless I can REALLY break the crap out of my character in 5 weeks), but they will still be from atlanta. Also, teams is staying in atlanta, though going to different people this year. Also, legacy is probably going to stay in atlanta as well. So yeah, sorry everyone else.

generalreaction2.0
07-08-2012, 10:40 PM
There will be a new world champion (unless I can REALLY break the crap out of my character in 5 weeks), but they will still be from atlanta. Also, teams is staying in atlanta, though going to different people this year. Also, legacy is probably going to stay in atlanta as well. So yeah, sorry everyone else.

UFS is made in Texas but it is perfected by Atlanta

The Hurricane
07-08-2012, 11:17 PM

uhhhhhhhhhhh nope. ^

Grizzlegrom
07-08-2012, 11:41 PM

Michigan doesn't need to talk trash we just win ;) :p

Birch
07-09-2012, 12:15 AM
No we don't talk trash because we are humble. Atlanta is like the little brother that you let win every now and then.

ATLDrew
07-09-2012, 12:34 AM
You Atlanta children and you Michigan children play nice now. Or all of you are getting a timeout! Don't make me call your Uncle Ben and Uncle Jeremy!

Grizzlegrom
07-09-2012, 12:55 AM
You Atlanta children and you Michigan children play nice now. Or all of you are getting a timeout! Don't make me call your Uncle Ben and Uncle Jeremy!

Well Uncle Ben better bring rice and booze! :p

ATLPiglet
07-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Scoreboard.

TripsEX
07-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Jeremy.

Ray.

Grizzlegrom
07-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Jeremy.

Ray.