PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Champ ATL PTC Report

generalreaction2.0
06-24-2012, 10:44 PM
So this my tourney report for the ATL PTC from this past weekend. For those who dont know, i was playing Vincent Grey (evil Lincoln) for this event.

Swiss Round 1 vs ATLpiglet's Alice Deck
If there is one character im afraid of facing going into worlds this it would have to be Alice. This character limits what you can play each and every turn she is ready. Piglet was running a very solid version of this deck and i must congratulate him on it. After some grey (no pun intended) wars during game 1, piglet is able to push enough damage through to get me. Before game 2 i boarded into Eva in an attempt to burst down Alice but with bad checks and a poor early game it wasnt going to happen.
I lose this round, record 0-1

Round 2 vs Netahli
I sincerely apologize for forgetting the name of the gentleman piloting this netahli deck as it was a match i quite enjoyed. Game 1 had my deck firing on all cilanders (spelling?). I got my control pieces out and got great hacks from Grey. I attack when the time is right and take game 1. Game 2 goes in my favor again as my opponent's deck doesnt give him what he needs and im able to survive the match.
Record 1-1

Round 3 vs Brian Lee's Mitsurugi
If you wanna talk about a battle of two completely different decks then this match would be one you would have wanted to watch. Mitsu and Grey are polar opposites in terms of how they are played and this match came down to some luck for me. Rugi bashed me early and often in game 1 and took me out but good. Game 2 i got lucky because Brian ran into some bad checks and i was able to hit him with a lethal attack turn. Game 3 was again about luck as i was able to get enough turns to wall up and defend myself against the assault of Rugi. I survive and take the drunken samurai down.
Record 2-1

Round 4 vs Childress and Satoshi
After beating a samurai, i get to fight a ninja in this next round. Childress was running a really cool version of satoshi and i was glad to see he and his crew made the event. Game 1 i see just how inventive his deck is when he hits me was some anti action cards that made match up alittle harder. However i get military uniform out early and im able to fight off his offense every time he comes at me. I wittle down his vitality and take game 1. Game 2 i see uniform again and it helps me fight off the deadly onslaught that is my opponent's deck. I get my kill turn and hurl a 13 damage attack to take down the ninja.
Record 3-1

Round 5 vs JP's Paul Phoenix
Now this was a rough match for me just because of how JP's deck worked. The ability to tap anything with Paul Phoenix is often times over looked and i know just how good it can be (he was the first deck i played when Tekken 6 came out). To avoid having Grey get tapped by Paul, i simply cc haxed the first attack JP played on me every time and thankfully it worked out well for me. JP is one hell of a player and great dude, as were all the guests we had from Jersey. This was probably my favorite match from the whole day and thankfully it came out in my favor.

Final record after Swiss is 4-1 and i am the swiss champ (and boy did i get the big case of the curse)

Top 8 vs ATLDrew and Kazuya
They say it is never a good idea to underestimate an old lion, and though im not saying i did I will say Drew gave me all i could handle and more, and this match proves just how good all the players in ATL are. Drew hadnt touched this game in months and here he comes with a deck that was barely running any ToV cards that knocked me on my butt. I complain and say that Kaz was the worst match i could have faced in top 8 but i will say that Drew deserves a ton of credit for coming back to the game and going all the way to the finals. As for the games they went how most of you would expect. My deck had no answer for board clearings from Kaz and each game it was only a matter of time until Drew out-positioned me and killed me.

I lose in top 8 and finish the event 6th overall.

Final thoughts:
-Angels can be beaten, and not just by decks like Paul Phoenix.
-Keenan Meadows may very well be the first man to win back to back world titles in this game
-JP should never drink anything that Piglet hands him again.
-And finally i think top 2 in worlds this year will be death vs evil

ATLPiglet
06-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Nice report Marco congrats on the top. Scumbag Keenan is pretty good, and yeah JP didnt know any better

makingsenseofus
06-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately the only way I might win back to back world titles is if my character is not out by gencon, having been semi-nerfed into the ground. Good report though dude, you rocked it with that grey deck. Drew is kind of a nearly unstoppable killing machine but way to grab swiss champ!

Forever a scumbag

jp_status
06-25-2012, 09:30 AM
nice report dude...and hey i wanted to celebrate damn it! so why not drink some White Lightning! is all good though, as long as no one got pissed drunk and got naked and walked around strutting their junk...oh wait....that was piglet :D

dutpotd
06-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Nice report Marco, glad you guys had so much fun.

Seeing as how you sided into Eva I can only presume you were Evil Vincent, which I find interesting - similar to your prediction about the symbols to be facing off in top 2 at worlds :)

As much as I hate Evil I intend to pilot one at my next competition coming up here so maybe I can weigh in on my symbol thoughts in a general forum thread during the month of July.

Looking forward to seeing you, and all, at gencon and grats again on a good showing at your PTC! Kazuya is a 'bad' matchup for a LOT of characters, practically any and all that don't have a way to deal large damage with few foundations so don't feel alone in your plight here, not to mention Drew is a 'good' player as well.

- Garett

Grizzlegrom
06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Just curious off evil why Eva over Truong?

Skull_Knight
06-25-2012, 10:57 AM
nice report dude...and hey i wanted to celebrate damn it! so why not drink some White Lightning! is all good though, as long as no one got pissed drunk and got naked and walked around strutting their junk...oh wait....that was piglet :D

I should of told you about my strict "No Mason Jar" policy". Sorta dropped the ball on that one.

ATLPiglet
06-25-2012, 12:02 PM
I put on the singlet for just a few minutes I was not naked

syclic
06-25-2012, 12:12 PM
You were completely naked dude.

then singlet like 10 mins later then normal stuff.

generalreaction2.0
06-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Just curious off evil why Eva over Truong?

i felt eva was a better character for the match up

generalreaction2.0
06-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Nice report Marco, glad you guys had so much fun.

Seeing as how you sided into Eva I can only presume you were Evil Vincent, which I find interesting - similar to your prediction about the symbols to be facing off in top 2 at worlds :)

As much as I hate Evil I intend to pilot one at my next competition coming up here so maybe I can weigh in on my symbol thoughts in a general forum thread during the month of July.

Looking forward to seeing you, and all, at gencon and grats again on a good showing at your PTC! Kazuya is a 'bad' matchup for a LOT of characters, practically any and all that don't have a way to deal large damage with few foundations so don't feel alone in your plight here, not to mention Drew is a 'good' player as well.

- Garett

I just feel like evil always finds a way to sneak into the finals in most formats. And as for death i think it finally has a consistent way to kill people to go along with all its control pieces