Kevin Broberg vs. Danny Fung
Tim Keefe vs. Matt Hughes
Sean O'Brien vs. Phil Birch

Top 4: (winner Listed First)
Sean O'Brien vs. Bryan Reandeau
Tim Keefe vs. Kevin Broberg

Top 2: (winner first)
Tim Keefe vs. Sean O'Brien

All said and done a very competitive event with only 2 repeat characters. I played with Andrew Olexa and Tim Keefe as assistant judges to have an even number. My detailed report about my matches will be later. Good luck to top cuts on West Coast tomorrow!

HypeMan!
07-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Impressive.

My detailed report about my matches will be later. Good luck to top cuts on West Coast tomorrow!

Read as: "Once I sober up"

S_OBrien
07-01-2012, 10:19 PM
My detailed report for Swiss:

Round 1: Vespera vs. Andrew Olexa (Andrew Alexa)
I have to admit, I always get a little nervous sitting down across from a champion. I was nervous rightly so. Adrew Olexa was playing a aggressive good throw deck. Andrew always had a ton of momentum to pay momentum costs. But, bad checks kept Olexa from doing too much damage. The up side to throws is that Vespera is able to block throws relatively easy. And, when a reversal hits at less than 20 vitality character, it hurts. Rising Typhoon, Strange Fashion, and “1” Checks were the MVPs this match.-Record: 1-0-0.

Round 2: Vespera vs. Mike Lowe (Mike Lowe)
Another champion...another good deck. I personally think that Mike is better off of life. But, in the NYSC-KoF 3v3 in Poughkeepsie, I played Amy with Mike as a side character, so I knew what it could do. It was a very long match, but one checks plagued Mike just like Andrew. When Mike decided to come in for a kill with Flash Needle, I blocked with the Sting Kick I had been holding since he checked early on. I blocked with the stick kick and then Typhooned him to death. Sting Kick and “1” checks were the MVPs this match-Record 2-0-0.

Round 3: Vespera vs. Kazuay Mishima (Tim Keefe)
BLOW OUT! Both games did not even go past turn 4. Anytime I would try to reversal a Piercing Howl, I would get and Out of Your League packed in. Tim would always lose enough vitality to be in desperation. Then Divine Tribulation would be for super easy. Match was not even close. But, I did not mind losing to someone who I think may be one of the best UFS players. MVPs for Tim were Out of Your League and Divine Tribulation. I had not MVPs.-Record 2-1-0.

Round 4: Vespera vs. Alice (Danny Fung)
I knew this would be a tough match after playing Danny back in Michigan But, this time, I knew I would have to be aggressive. But, when I went for the kill, I had my move block and was reversaled by surprise punishment. I could only block high and have my turn ended. But, I reversaled with a Rising Typhoon and multipled out. But, then I got surprised again. It was enough to kill me. MVPs for Danny were Holiday Cheer, Sacrifices for the Cause, and Suprise Punishment. My MVPs were Penance, ...Knows When to Talk, and Smug Satisfaction.-Record 2-2-0.

Round 5: Vespera vs. Sevastian (Ryan Field)
This match had been played out locally dozens of times and Ryan was out of the running. He decided to scoop to me. MVP was Ryan Field.Record 3-2-0.

And that was Vespera's journey to top 8 in the Rochester Regional. Top 8 adventure tomorrow.

Link
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Loved Rochester. Such a good time. Thanks a LOT to Keith and Olexa for picking us up.

Just wanna clarify soemthing here. Life Mike Lowe > Good Mike Lowe. Only reason I dont wanna do it anymore is I played Life for a LONG time and I refuse to punk out and play Slice kicks. Plus I love Righteousness. Its so fun to play it. Like i dont even care if it wins me games its just so satisfying to play it

Nisyr
07-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Rochester was a ton of fun, just as much or more as the Teams event we went to. Thanks again Sean for letting all of us stay at your place! And no problem Mike, anytime we're passing through and we have room, you and Danny are welcome.

dutpotd
07-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Loved Rochester. Such a good time. Thanks a LOT to Keith and Olexa for picking us up.

Just wanna clarify soemthing here. Life Mike Lowe > Good Mike Lowe. Only reason I dont wanna do it anymore is I played Life for a LONG time and I refuse to punk out and play Slice kicks. Plus I love Righteousness. Its so fun to play it. Like i dont even care if it wins me games its just so satisfying to play it

Woah, I respectfully disagree. Good is better than Life, but Air is better than all of them... :)

vaporgecko
07-03-2012, 03:45 AM
Woah, I respectfully disagree. Good is better than Life, but Air is better than all of them... :)

True on both accounts.

Kaz has been a pet project for me between Nina, Lizardman, and Lu Chen decks. I am very happy to see 6HS characters taking major tournaments for once. It's a particular joy to see that one of the major culprits is the number of Reversal decks floating around. I keep saying that as long as you go blow for blow with someone who starts out losing, you can't fail!

Hellion
07-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Does somebody have the Roy and Alice decklist ?

Cetonis
07-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Alice was a death build... Penance can fetch Surprise, and Death is good at making the momentum for it. Also ran Deadly Embrace, and.... I forget -.-' Even though I played against it >.< I think Knight Breaker was involved.

The Roy ran Blazing Storm, Poison Dart and Deathcopter Attack, forget the fourth attack but it was a weapon of some sort. Sean talked about the deck a little on the podcast recording we did with Drew and Dave from Atl, so whenever that's posted you can hear a little about the deck.

dwolf52000
07-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks all for a wonderful tournament! After a 5 month drought, it was really good to play again and see where the meta is currently. The players were a great group and very laid back. I really appreciate not getting flak for my 111 card mill deck. While turning out to not really be an effective deck, it was about a turn away from winning game 1 of my second match. Unfortunately it told me that I would not get any more blocks on my opponent's turn. Now it is time to turn Joe into a useful deck for Worlds.

Sean - Thanks for letting me crash Friday night and hosting a great tournament.

dutpotd
07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Really wish I was able to travel to this. Obviously I can't be in two places at once!!!

Congrats to all the top finishers, especially Sean and Tim.

Sean, how dare you Vespera it up - I swear to the UFS gods I'll be packing so much response/reversal hate at Gencon that you can all suck a lemon :)

Tim, we know Kazuya is broke along with at least a third of the Chaos attack lineup. BAN Piercing Howl already dangnabbit!

Question - was both the 1st place Truong and 2nd place Mike Lowe the a-typical Life Slice Kicks deck?

Cetonis
07-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Yep, they were of course slicekick decks. Kevin being Kevin, and Bryan with a not-70-cards version of the one he took to a diversified fourth place in Michigan.