PDA

View Full Version : I just read about the PTC coming this Winter

Shaneth
08-10-2010, 06:32 PM
I think it's mad hot that the winner gets a paid ticket to Gencon, but we'll have to see what the other prizes are, right?

I have some beef tho.

You get a first round bye in the world tournament?!?

I don't agree with that at all. It instantly puts select players at an advantage than the others who didn't win and were forced to travel to worlds. It just doesn't seem fair to get an instant advantage over other people just because you won some tournament and they didn't. Players are players and should be treated equally.

Also, I can foresee it screwing up with the tournament. Say you have 10 people in a 128 man tournament who got 1st round byes. In 128-man tournament you would do 7 rounds of swiss. The 10 auto wins put the 64 people that should have had wins automatically set to 69 (128-10=118/2=59+10freewins=69) so now you have 69 people with wins and you are now forced to do 8 rounds of swiss instead of 7 like it should be.
But then again, this game has draws - so really the math and tiebreakers are all irrelevant.

But still, the fact that one player starts off better than another is mad unfair. Everybody should be playing on an equal field for success.
I dunno, anyone else agree?

rAn
08-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I can't say i agree with that. Technically everyone IS on a level playing field. Everyone has the chance to play in PTC events therefore everyone has the chance to earn a first round bye at worlds. I guess another way to think about it is that the first round of worlds will be like a grinder kind of. If you've already won a Pro Tour event why should you have to play in the grinder? :D This is common in lots of card games, in Magic if you maintain a certain DCI rating you can get byes in the first round of Grand Prix's and stuff like that. It's just an extra incentive for everyone to come out and play. It doesn't guarantee that you're going to top 8 or anything like that, just that you get a first round bye. Personally, I like the extra incentive.

Shaneth
08-10-2010, 07:03 PM
I understand what you're saying. Not everybody has the luxury of going to PTCs tho. Perhaps they can only afford worlds?

But I do agree that the free win doesn't guarentee top cuts. The free win does indeed make people want to come out and play, but it just doesn't seem right that another player would immediately start off in a better position than you just because they won a tournament. One could argue that they "earned" it, but on a high caliber tournament such as the world championships, it's better to have everybody start off equally. Also, it's not like it's amazing enough that they "earned" the free plane ticket out there.

Tader_Salad
08-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Like rAn says, its commonplace in other games and has proven itself over time to be a tried and true system. It's simply a reward for previous effort put forth. It's not by any means a free meal ticket into top 8. It's not our place to decide someone doesn't deserve a first round bye at worlds just because they also got a free plane ticket. Even in NASCAR you get a better starting position based on how we'll your doing in the season.

It can be tough to have an impartial outlook when you see someone who got a free plane ticket and you didn't, and then gets a first round bye and you didn't, asking yourself why is he/she getting so much more than me. I barely made it over to this event with my playgroup. What do I do when I see that person? I shake their hand, congradulate them on doing well with what must be an awesome deck, and sit down and play my first round because UFS is teh funz.

NJBrock22
08-10-2010, 07:48 PM
what i've said to Jason before is this needs to be done:

have the schedual going as follows

Divide the US into 9 Geographic(playgroup wise) Regions
Canadian Championships
US Nats
US Worlds

And try to do each regional in the time between each championships preferably have Nats say in April, Worlds in August and Canada in December(first week or second week) and have the Regional Events in the 9 months between them, that could make a Pro Tour work, though the fun part would be deciding where the regional events should go, i would say a South East one should go either at MTAC(late march-early april), Atlanta(Dragon Con) or In Florida(Which has their own regional every year at SCC/SAS), but still that may be too much of a headache to set up and get a lot of people angry that the East gets too many regionals because the west only has 5-6 playgroups(represented on here) and that may give them 2 regionals at most(Plus nats this year), but we can probably figure something out one day... i hope

*Edit*
and yes Europe & Asia/Australia/NZ would have their own Separate regionals to have on their own times.

N.J.

ATLDrew
08-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Im with rAn on this one. Having a tournament series that offers a round 1 bye at a major is very common in several card games. To me, if you are able to make the trip, put in the work, and win the tourney, then why should you not be rewarded? Jason will have several of these all of the country so there is no reason why most people shouldn't be able to make one. And if you can travel to a PTC event and win it, why shouldn't your trip cost to Worlds be compensated? This is a smart move to get people on the tourney scene and I frankly think it's a great step toward growing the game.

My big gripe would be if there were money being fronted as prize support but that's a whole other story...

Shaneth
08-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Very well.

I'll concede this argument.

ATLDrew
08-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Bodied. LOL

aslum
08-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Here's a couple more things to think about (even though you've already conceded)... A half dozen or so byes could make the first round slightly faster. First round is generally against random people (I'd prefer to have it be based on overall score but that's a different conversation). Say we have 2 byes, and 14 other people. It's a moderately safe assumption the two byes are better players. So there is less chance the rest of the tourney will have to face them first round, meaning average play level is lower, and it's easier to get a win first round. This does mess w/ a swiss style tourney to some extent. Normally w/ 16 players you'll have 8 winners and 8 losers (disregarding ties) however w/ 2 byes out and 14 other player's you'll have 9 winners and 7 losers. One of the losers will get paired up, but you could end up with 5 unbeaten players in round two (as opposed to 4 in normal swiss). Round three could then end with 3 players with no loses, leading to 2 unbeaten players in round 4, when normally there should be a clear winner by round four in a 16 man tournament.
However we almost always cut to top 8 anyways, so that's not such a huge deal.

The way I look at it, more winners means more people will be happy... more happy people = good.

5card
08-10-2010, 08:39 PM
its deff not common not in yugioh naruto pokemon and not in magic those are the top games in tcg/ccg world

HypeMan!
08-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Where is this PTC info? Did I over look something?

rAn
08-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Where is this PTC info? Did I over look something? If you click the news button up top, it's the first new post on there. I just discovered it last night myself :D

HypeMan!
08-10-2010, 10:24 PM
O sweet BUTTONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link
08-10-2010, 10:27 PM
what i've said to Jason before is this needs to be done:

have the schedual going as follows

Divide the US into 9 Geographic(playgroup wise) Regions
Canadian Championships
US Nats
US Worlds

And try to do each regional in the time between each championships preferably have Nats say in April, Worlds in August and Canada in December(first week or second week) and have the Regional Events in the 9 months between them, that could make a Pro Tour work, though the fun part would be deciding where the regional events should go, i would say a South East one should go either at MTAC(late march-early april), Atlanta(Dragon Con) or In Florida(Which has their own regional every year at SCC/SAS), but still that may be too much of a headache to set up and get a lot of people angry that the East gets too many regionals because the west only has 5-6 playgroups(represented on here) and that may give them 2 regionals at most(Plus nats this year), but we can probably figure something out one day... i hope

N.J.

Only a couple small things with this.
1. These regions need to include Canada, theres no reason for it to be exclusive to America
2. Switch US and Can Nats for a few reasons. Driving in Canada in the winter sucks, and the only real Convention to hold it at is Anime North and its in May.
3. Its not US Worlds :P

NJBrock22
08-11-2010, 02:05 AM
well technically there's how many playerbases in canada... i only know of Toronto, Montreal and the Calgary group... if anything i can understand getting y'all a regional thru Seattle and your Canada Championships and maybe either East or West Canada(whichever you decide) i'm looking at based on how many playergroups there are which i think the US playerbase outnumbers the canada group at least 5:1(if i counted right) but yeah that was a SUGGESTION not a requirement, it's still open to interpritation, and yea i know Driving in Winter sucks... i've lived thru Indiana ice storms, 6 years in a row... bleh.

N.J.

NJBrock22
08-11-2010, 02:11 AM
also technically we could do multiple regions at the same time(as long as they are NOT in the same geographic region like when the NOVA regional[around Richmond VA] and the Southeast regional[Nashville, TN] which pulled from eachother does not happen) that way ya get as many as possible hell 2 Regionals a month wouldnt be TOO bad i dont think...

N.J.

mastermajora
08-11-2010, 02:12 AM
its deff not common not in yugioh naruto pokemon and not in magic those are the top games in tcg/ccg world

a grand prix qualifier is a magic tournament that gives the winner 3 byes at the grand prix it is held for.

HolyDragonCloud
08-11-2010, 10:16 AM
a grand prix qualifier is a magic tournament that gives the winner 3 byes at the grand prix it is held for.

Yeah, this PTC is entirely based off of Magic's GP, and the perks are almost entirely similar between the two.

HypeMan!
08-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I'd say having like the Southeast Regionals and one for the East Coast/Mid-West wouldn't cause a conflict at all. Only thing is if some how that effects prize support or something.

TripsEX
08-11-2010, 12:19 PM
If you do infact do this (which I am all for), you have to make sure there are enough PTC Stops so that everyone can get to them if they are in their area. As much as you want to give a player a big incentive for attending one, you don't want to give the chance to only 60% of the player groups.

Da_ghetto_gamer
08-11-2010, 12:27 PM
regardless of what u do your prolly not goin to please everyone but I agree every attempt should be made to do so