Here is what I would like to see for our tournament software:

Online compatibility
Swiss Pairing done automatically
Persistant ELO rating for players
Initially pairing based ELO ratings
Offline mode for the tourney software that stores results for later upload

rAn
08-10-2010, 11:31 PM
I would also like it to store player information for easier signups, also i'd like it to work :P Something the old tourney softwares for UFS never did.

HypeMan!
08-10-2010, 11:42 PM
I assume that JascoGames have in house programmers, but I wouldn't be against trying to build something rudimentary. I'd need to know the algorithms for how swiss works, and I have no idea how long it would take by myself.

rAn
08-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Everything except for the online stuff would be very simple to code through VB or Visual C. You can find most of these algorithms on google.

HypeMan!
08-11-2010, 12:17 AM
I need to learn VB and VisC. Java, C++ and C# are my current repertoire. Though I want to make a UFS deck building and search app, so Objective C is next I guess. The big stuff is more keeping it organized well and easily usable. With a manual, anyone could really program, but it takes some finesse and practice to make it easily usable and appealing.

dutpotd
08-11-2010, 12:18 AM
I want it not to blacklist me, stop giving me bad matchups, and generally subtracting from my strength of schedule score as a hobby - and yes tournament software can have a hobby, it certainly has a mind of its own, so why not!

- dut

rAn
08-11-2010, 12:20 AM
I need to learn VB and VisC. Java, C++ and C# are my current repertoire. Though I want to make a UFS deck building and search app, so Objective C is next I guess. The big stuff is more keeping it organized well and easily usable. With a manual, anyone could really program, but it takes some finesse and practice to make it easily usable and appealing. Yea..the only programming i really know is C ++ and some Basic..aaand a tiny bit of jscript, but thats not real programming :). I've used VB before and it's very easy. Visual C++ takes aspects of VB (the easy to use form stuff) and you just kinda add code to the visual stuff. Not too bad.

HypeMan!
08-11-2010, 12:22 AM
I know a lot of people that use VB as a good way to program something really quick, but can be a little quick and dirty

Tifer
08-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Well, I honestly think that anything would be a step up from Tourney Magistrate, which is what they used at Worlds I believe. I use it on a pretty regular basis at the comic store I work at for Yugioh and Magic, and I have to say, it sucks pretty hard. It takes up waaay too much memory, so whatever they DO come out with definitely needs to not take up so much memory.

aslum
08-11-2010, 01:49 AM
I could write something in PHP fairly easily, but it would have the downside of being online only... That might not be a super-critical failing ... Hmmm.

HypeMan!
08-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I take Networking this year I believe so that should give me enough expertise to figure out the online stuff, might could even use the algorithms and general code for class projects and make sure it works nice and clean. Offline really isn't that bad I don't think, just have to make a file print out and store it then do some kind of upload. I'm bad with Databases is the only thing so whatever Jasco is using for the ranking numbers and recording will probably fall on their shoulders.

Teagus
08-11-2010, 12:15 PM
i would like to see an online connection to organized play via the jasco website that lets you as a player pre reg for a tournament with your character and decklist, i believe SG had something like that and it was very nice. also a droid/iphone app for tourny's would rock, being able to run a tourny off a smartphone would definatly be easier for me atleast, currently i have to use the owners computer with generic tourny software and when hes got several events at the same time going on its difficult to get on it sometimes.

HypeMan!
08-11-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm already in the process of designing an iPhone app for deck building and saving so tournament software wouldn't be a stretch. I'll have to wait to have access to a Mac though first so I can build and test it. Jason said that if it was good, Jasco could buy the license to put it on iTunes and the App Store for distribution.