PDA

View Full Version : Rochester CCG GenCon side event: OLD DOGS, NEW TRICKS!

S_OBrien
07-28-2012, 10:22 PM
Rochester CCG will be holding a small event at GenCon this year. We will be playing "Old Dogs, New Tricks" on (swiss) Thursday August 16th at 7pm at the CCG hall at the Jasco Games playing area. Top cuts will be after Team swiss on Friday

Cost: $5 a head

Prizes: 1st place will receive 1/2 of the entry as store credit at the Rochester CCG store
2nd down will split remain tourney entry as packs purchased from the store at cost.

Any questions, post here!

Jasco seems excited about this.

BANNED LIST
----------------------------------------------------------
Adon-3
Akuma-6
Alex-3
Chun Li-9
Dhalsim-1
Dhalsim-3
Hugo-3
Ibuki-4
Ken-2
Sakura-4
Zangief-5

Cassandra-2
Rock-3
Talim-1
Talim-3
Tira-3
Xianghua-3
Yun Seong-3

Donovan-3
Felicia-4
J. Talbain-3
Morrigan-2

Nakoruru-2
Mai-5
Ukyo-2

Matt Kohls-1

ATLPiglet
07-29-2012, 02:22 PM
This is so cool! I might try to make it up earlier to play this.

HypeMan!
07-30-2012, 11:19 AM
I'd be interested

dutpotd
07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Since Legacy starts at noon that day chances are I can't partake in this untested bound-to-be-funny format. That said, after seeing your banlist I will put together something from a favorite old character and see how it goes.

I actually think starting this later in the day Thursday (after legacy) and doing top cuts later in the day Friday (after teams) would get you the most participants.

Birch
07-30-2012, 11:55 AM
I like the time of the event. Be cuz it allows me to not get caught in the Jasco Games Trap. Would love to see a ban list ASAP do that I can throw a deck together.

dutpotd
07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
I like the time of the event. Be cuz it allows me to not get caught in the Jasco Games Trap. Would love to see a ban list ASAP do that I can throw a deck together.

You should elaborate on the trap. Are you insinuating that the Legacy tournament might not start until after noon on Thursday...? If so, wouldn't the time of this event actually mean you would be stuck in the trap?

The Hurricane
07-30-2012, 01:57 PM
I am excited to play this! But if it interferes with Legacy its gonna be a no-go sorry. I am interested in seeing what the ban list is. I will throw something together either way.

Skys2high
07-30-2012, 03:56 PM
You should elaborate on the trap. Are you insinuating that the Legacy tournament might not start until after noon on Thursday...? If so, wouldn't the time of this event actually mean you would be stuck in the trap?

As Phil described to me, it's that if you play in every single Jasco Event (because they take a long time or never start on time or whatever I forget what he said) that you will never have enough to walk around and see the convention. This event would kinda be a middle ground for the people who want to see the convention while getting to play some UFS

Birch
07-30-2012, 05:02 PM
What sky's said

HypeMan!
07-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Didn't realize this would conflict with Legacy, and I've got to play legacy.

S_OBrien
07-30-2012, 06:48 PM
How does 7 sound then guys? The vendor hall will be about done for the day then.

dutpotd
07-30-2012, 06:55 PM
How does 7 sound then guys?

Basically, if I ain't playing Legacy I will play in your event. I will probably build a deck for it regardless and if someone who isn't in legacy wants to run it (cuz I am still playing Legacy) then they can have at it!

- dut

HypeMan!
07-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Late night with Rochester?

S_OBrien
07-30-2012, 09:48 PM
^You would like that too much

Banned list is up.

Also, I will have some legacy characters available for sale at the event

dutpotd
07-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Banned list is up.

I think you need to ban Vega **, Gill*, and any other 8hs character (maybe even Leona, or espeically Leona due to slicekicks).

NJBrock22
07-30-2012, 11:21 PM
I think you need to ban Vega **, Gill*, and any other 8hs character (maybe even Leona, or espeically Leona due to slicekicks).

awww... dont ban my leona... i loved playing Slice -> Slice -> Genesis for death... but yeah agreed.

N.J.

syclic
07-31-2012, 12:41 AM
How are you handling reprinted shadowar promo characters?

playing as newest version only or as 2 seperate characters?

HypeMan!
07-31-2012, 01:43 AM
Since the general tournament rules consider the latest version of a card the definitive version, I'd say newest version/errata only.

HypeMan!
07-31-2012, 01:44 AM
Also, way to ban 3-5 characters I would play :P you cur.

S_OBrien
07-31-2012, 08:48 AM
How are you handling reprinted shadowar promo characters?

Those characters are right out. They are reprinted with 5 point water marks.

Skull_Knight
08-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Basically, if I ain't playing Legacy I will play in your event. I will probably build a deck for it regardless and if someone who isn't in legacy wants to run it (cuz I am still playing Legacy) then they can have at it!

- dut

I'll take the Dutpotd Challenge!!!

dutpotd
08-02-2012, 04:00 PM

Okay then, no reply to my suggestion. Let it be known I will build and play Vega ** then :)

ATLDrew
08-04-2012, 03:12 PM
After thinking about it more, I really like this format. It solves so many problems and issues that long time players and new players have been having with standard. Old players get to play the characters that they started playing the game with, new players get to play Street Fighter and SNK characters with their current card pool, and, at least on paper, I feel like the characters provide more than enough depth on their own to give juice to symbols that need it. IE Water and Order and some of the weaker standard symbols but throw an Ibuki or a Tycho in front of one and you are immediately viable based on your characters power level. If tested enough, I feel like this could be a fun alternative to extended (which should be on the way out). What do you guys think? Would you enter an ODNT tourney if there was a card on the line?

Shinguyi
08-04-2012, 03:26 PM
YES! No doubt about it. XD

I have been wanting to try it out over here, but not a lot of people play anymore in Puerto Rico.

S_OBrien
08-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Okay then, no reply to my suggestion. Let it be known I will build and play Vega ** then :)

Go for it. It's kind of like the Wild West of UFS where there are barely any rules. Be ready for my Zass***

Grizzlegrom
08-05-2012, 01:37 AM
YES! No doubt about it. XD

I have been wanting to try it out over here, but not a lot of people play anymore in Puerto Rico.

Replace the extended prize and make an action or attack? :p

Grizzlegrom
08-05-2012, 01:43 AM
Curious how the crazy banned ibuki isn't banned lol oh well :p

RockStar
08-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Curious how the crazy banned ibuki isn't banned lol oh well :p

I think the List on Page 1 is "in addition to" characters already on the banned list, no? Otherwise...prepare for a heaping of broke sauce. Bring your antacids.

wafflecopter
08-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Ibuki doesn't have the completely ridiculous Red Lotus of the Sun synergy, and the format also lacks ridiculously powerful foundations like BRT that force people to play lots of commit effects to walk into her R.

The posted banned list is the entire list -- that's why, for example, Hugo-3 is still on there. There are likely mistakes of omission, but we'll find out ^^

S_OBrien
08-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Just a reminder, you can play other old characters as part of your deck.

Grizzlegrom
08-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Ibuki doesn't have the completely ridiculous Red Lotus of the Sun synergy, and the format also lacks ridiculously powerful foundations like BRT that force people to play lots of commit effects to walk into her R.

The posted banned list is the entire list -- that's why, for example, Hugo-3 is still on there. There are likely mistakes of omission, but we'll find out ^^

torn hero is just about as bad :p lol

Shinguyi
08-05-2012, 10:16 PM
torn hero is just about as bad :p lol

Well not necessarily. Remember that Torn Hero was errata'd into that it doesn't respond to an ability being played, but a card being committed. All in all, play and test! :D

JavelinChimera
08-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Just a reminder, you can play other old characters as part of your deck.

I approve of this if only for Cody funtimes.

But I still have to ask, why ban Ibuki4 and NOT the one that's already on the banned list? I guess I'm not seeing the brokenness, but then I don't necessarily feel like Morrigan2 is that bad either.

S_OBrien
08-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Just a reminder, the winner of this event get half of the entry fees as store credit with Rochester CCG.

Trip Se7ens
08-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Who ended up winning this?

Skys2high
08-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Phil Birch did with Seth

Shinji Mimura
08-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Phil Birch did with Seth

Pack Seth? As in "I neuter your attacks and Power of the Edge your blocks just by existing" Seth?

Loved that guy. Easily one of the most underrated.

Skys2high
08-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Pack Seth? As in "I neuter your attacks and Power of the Edge your blocks just by existing" Seth?

Loved that guy. Easily one of the most underrated.

Easily the most OP character during Old Dogs

HypeMan!
08-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Hope we do this thing again in the future. Realized a great deck to play waaaaay after the fact with one of my favorite characters :D

Shinigamirap
08-21-2012, 06:38 PM
LOL king of fighters :p

JavelinChimera
08-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Like I mentioned before, Seth is wayyy worse than Morrigan. Silly ban list.

Shinigamirap
08-21-2012, 09:26 PM
ban seth so seung mina can will it all!