PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Worlds Champ Tira: Lasers and insanity in all formats.

Sketch
08-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Decklist first, then stuff.

...Tira...

4x Concussion Blast
3x Knee-Capper
4x Segaki Offering
2x Shredding Vibrato
3x Sovreign's Glory

2x Superior Technique
2x Tag Along

2x Lynette's Shop

4x Ibis Minuet
3x Mentally Unstable
1x Soul Power
4x Blinding Rage
4x Makai High Noble
2x Quick Exit
3x Fight for the Future
3x The Don's Right Hand Man
4x Mission of Peace
2x Driven By Fear
4x Inhuman Perception
4x Soul of Ling-Sheng Su
2x Ideas on the Wind

Sideboard (can't exactly remember card counts):
2x-3x Seal of Cessation
3x Chinese Sword Style
2-3x Acrobatic, I think?

This deck list is approximate, I'm going off of memory here - if I can get the real list from Jason or Paul at some point, that'd be fantastic, I'd like to refine it some for Nats, add in weird stuff like British Subject and probably a few other cards.

Well, I was going to play Air Mina for legacy and shoot people in the face with Concussion Blast a lot, but I couldn't find my set of Soul Powers before the tournament started. So instead, I grabbed my standard deck, stole the attack base out of it, positioned a bunch of 6-checks and strong Legacy pieces around it in ten minutes and went to town with oldschool Promo Tira, so I could randomly make Shredding Vibrato connect whenever I wanted to and do bad, bad things with the enhance skips. I added in a bunch of the abusive attack repeating stuff like Mentally Unstable and Don's Right Hand Man, and dared my opponents to Lost Memories them with Blinding Rage and Makai High Noble providing staging area defense, and Mission of Peace providing more abuse. Turns of Conc, Capper, Segaki, pick up all 3 and replay them happened more than once, and got ugly very quickly.

I played against infinite speed Mitsurugi, evil Ukyo, Ryu's Ashura Senku Ryu, Great Teacher Donovan (the coolest legacy deck evar, srsly. If Slicekicks took steroids, this is what it'd look like.) in swiss, losing to RSK Ryu and beating everything else in very close matches.

In top cuts I faced Keenan's monstrous last year's Worlds-winning Dhalsim deck which fortunately had no answer to maindeck Fight for the Future (which I ripped 2 of in my opener game 2), lucky block draws off of said Fight for the Future, and Chinese Sword Style post-board, then faced Garett's Good Reversal Nakoruru in the finals.

I played against that deck last year in swiss with Mina, and it's what knocked me out of the tournament, so I knew I was in for a rough match. Game 1 is a nice refresher on what his deck does when he Darkness Blades me for 20 and blows me up after I misinterpret Bringing the Master To His Knees. Lesson learned, you can still reversal when that card is doing its job calling Rs!

Game 2? Game 2 is probably one of my craziest moments in UFS - we reach an early gamestate where I have one committed foundation to his 7 or 8, a hand full of orange and blue, and murder on my mind - I proceed to rip 5s and 6s off the top of the deck like they owe me money and melt him in an absolutely unbelievable string of attacks. Wild stuff.

Game 3 after a bit of setup on both ends he pulls the same Bringing the Master trick, calling Rs, and I'm forced to pass a turn when I'm holding something like 5 attacks, a Superior Technique, and one Fight for the Future which I refuse to play as at that point in the game it only benefits him. Completely passing a turn in Legacy is one of the toughest things I've ever had to do, but I'm convinced it was the right call at the time - I'm pretty sure the people watching may have collectively wtfed as I did it, but without access to Rs I can't guarantee all my damage pushing through with Tira's R, he can still reversal me, and that's what cost me the first game. I was not about to let that happen again. Garett plays a bunch of stuff out the following turn, I don't die, and during my next turn I start to lay in to him and rip a Concussion Blast off of Segaki Offering's enhance... and from there another blitz of attacks ends Nakoruru's life.

If you watch the video of this whenever it gets posted, I'm probably visibly shaky throughout the whole match due to a combination of raw adrenaline and fear - from my experiences last year, that deck is TERRIFYING to attack in to. At pretty much any point you can be reversaled for 20 once he has Fight or Flight up, and needless to say that is a pretty bad time. Garett, you are an insanely talented deckbuilder and player, and this was easily my most cerebral and crazy fun match of all of Worlds this year, thanks for a hell of a championship round.

dutpotd
08-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Garett, you are an insanely talented deckbuilder and player, and this was easily my most cerebral and crazy fun match of all of Worlds this year, thanks for a hell of a championship round.

Same back at ya! So ballsy, I wish I could teach my deck to check like yours did in game 2/3 - that's air for you though - always has been my nemesis :(

You like that Bringing the Master 'R' call eh? Your decision to pass was what won you that game (well that and the lovely 1 check I hit to block the Conc blast on your kill turn...). Well played!!!

Sketch
08-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Same back at ya! So ballsy, I wish I could teach my deck to check like yours did in game 2/3 - that's air for you though - always has been my nemesis :(

You like that Bringing the Master 'R' call eh? Your decision to pass was what won you that game (well that and the lovely 1 check I hit to block the Conc blast on your kill turn...). Well played!!!

If there is one thing I've learned in the two years-ish I've been playing Tira in a few different formats, it's that the crazy @#*&$ loves me and will occasionally make all of my checks awesome and my opponents decks crap on themselves in crucial situations. Sure as hell doesn't hurt! At that conc blast block I was still holding I think 3 more attacks, to boot - another conc, a shredding vibrato and something else. Hand full of pain that turn for sure!

dutpotd
08-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Hand full of pain that turn for sure!

Oh, I know. It just made me commit out, I had a handful of blocks for that turn and some reversals for sure!

Sketch
08-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I figured as much! Either way, can't wait to see the video so I can see what misery would've awaited me that turn. :D

PaulBittner
08-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Grats Sketch. Excellent work winning legacy with that masterful deck. When I think of Cock Blast I think of you...

...Just a matter of time before we see you on a character card.

DabalRowRaizah
08-22-2012, 04:51 PM
congrats on your card Dave! we knew it would only be a matter of time. I'm kinda proud I am the only one that beat you all day.

Grats Sketch. Excellent work winning legacy with that masterful deck. When I think of Cock Blast I think of you...

...Just a matter of time before we see you on a character card.

Wag Blast!

madeofwin
08-23-2012, 09:48 AM
impressive deck :) congratulations on the win, legacy is harsh.

intrigued to see the list for the great teacher donovan deck, sounds interesting.

Sketch
08-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

lazylantern
08-31-2012, 03:50 AM
with all the good choice of attacks in legacy for Air, I was surprise to see an attack lineup consisting ONLY of standard legal stuff.
any regrets not playing some of the legacy powerhouses like Shadow Banishment?

Grizzlegrom
08-31-2012, 04:39 AM
with all the good choice of attacks in legacy for Air, I was surprise to see an attack lineup consisting ONLY of standard legal stuff.
any regrets not playing some of the legacy powerhouses like Shadow Banishment?

I think shadow banishment isn't all that good off of air to be honest :( with fight or flight its really good but air has better options

ScottGaines
08-31-2012, 09:48 AM
the only non e attack he should of ran was overhand throw and that's real talk. that card is super free in this deck. give 2 more damage to conc blast. LOLZ

Sketch
08-31-2012, 02:53 PM
For this particular deck, I wanted to be able to hardcheck EVERYTHING if I had to - so Banishment doesn't make the cut. It's kind of meh in here anyway, committing 1-2 (or god help me, 4-5) for only slightly more damage than Concussion Blast or a boosted Segaki just didn't seem worth it. Overhand Throw almost made it in... but in this deck? Everything's a throw ANYWAY with Tira, and Sovereign's hits like a bus with the agressive amount of cardpool clear I do AND draws me cards if need be. Plus it blocks Ranged. Aww yeah. If you want to get in to it though, the real reason I didn't run Overhand is I can't trigger Superior Tech with it, and it isn't a self-clearing-on-block enhance skip, which tend to clog the opponent's card pool with blocks. Usually I wanted to lead off an attack turn with either Segaki or Conc Blast, for those two reasons, and Overhand's mild damage boost didn't really warrant including. That and it is REALLY easy to block/reversal, and I knew I was gonna be playing Garett at some point. High base speed = winning! Just my opinion though!

ScottGaines
09-03-2012, 12:04 AM
it or strike heads really makes your mentally unstable better imo. but your deck is super sick, obviously.