PDA

View Full Version : EX's GenCon Report

TripsEX
08-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Essentially...

Jason is doing an AMAZING job with the game. From what he's been given I can see nothing but good from his marketing strategy and love of UFS. Let me break it down for those who were not there or just didn't realize what was actually happening:

-We gave away 800+ Soul Calibur IV Staters. I say we because it wasn't just Jason at the booth, it was almost every UFS player who had some spare time. These were usually no-strings-attached starter decks, that pretty much said "Soul Calibur is awesome, so is this game." to everyone. People were coming up left and right the minute you yelled 'free' in the dealer hall, so we had a lot of hits and people seemed pretty excited about it. I think I said 'free' more than Scott Gaines did the whole weekend! There were actually a lot of people who were new the game coming up to the group in the TCG Hall and asking how to play again, and were then given stacks upon stacks of cards like commons and such. Great idea!

-The Jasco Games booth was awesome! Not only could you get a free starter for the game there, but there were three tables that were for demo purposes, and were filled the entire convention. Giant UFS banners adorned the whole thing, with a giant Street Fighter Akuma vs Ryu on hanging out for everyone. The booth was also maybe... 50 feet from the entrance of the dealer's hall. So you walk in and see Bandai, a leather shoppe, and Jasco Games. That's product placement! Speaking of product...

-The Jasco Games booth was a UFS player's dream. UFS was on sale in the booth, for $30 a go on SCIV01 and SW01, with Red Horizon being the regular cost of a box. Also, selling Ultra Pro deck boxes and KMC (iirc) sleeves. You basically didn't have to leave the booth, and were attracted to it even more. It was a stellar job.

-There were UFS cards in the convention bags. Everyone who attended the convention got a promo copy of Nehtali right away. UFS player or not, it was in there. I think he even said that he had so many put into the bags that they're more common than an actual common in the set, that's how many were set into rotation. That had a lot of people coming to the booth or the tournaments and asking what the game was. This is by far the best move ever.

-The people who would demo, knew what they were doing. I think the demo people included... Jason/Jasco, Dani/ShadowDragon, Thomas/Halbred100, Sage/rAn (I think.), Nick/TripsEX/me, and a few others. People were brought in and talked to, explained to, and they learned it. They loved it.

-Jason looks you in the eye when he shakes your hand. I like that.

So needless to say, Jason really has his head on straight and is taking a huge step forward in promotion of UFS. Who knows, maybe we'll get a UFS Road Trip like Horvath used to do back in the day. In the mean time, I think we all have to do our part re-establish the game in our areas and push the game harder than ever. We are on the brink of having an explosion of players again, all we need to do is make it there.

My personal times at GenCon...

Got to meet a lot of cool people that I had never seen before, ever! It was awesome. I didn't realize there were so many UFS people in Texas, go figure.

Getting hammered drunk the whole weekend kinda messed me up though, so I ended up going to a 2-4 scoop pretty much because of Keenan/MakingSenseofUS' and his stellar Heihachi deck pushing me out of diversity. Of course there was Bucca di Beppo (which Jason actually got us a reservation for!), staying up all night in the lobby of Jasco's hotel with him, making him play UFS and talk about the game (which he had nothing but good ideas and concepts to share with us), and as usual: THE RAM.

Highlight of the Year? Nick Markey's Mystical World of Magic. I had to read my new intellectual property to the Jasco Games staff, which involves a monkey man, a whore best friend, and magic. Coming to UFS in 2011 if I play my cards right.

Shoutouts will be in the next post, but if you got something to say go ahead, all is love in this thread! See you in the next post!

rAn
08-13-2010, 09:14 AM
-The people who would demo, knew what they were doing. I think the demo people included... Jason/Jasco, Dani/ShadowDragon, Thomas/Halbred100, Sage/rAn (I think.), Nick/TripsEX/me, and a few others. People were brought in and talked to, explained to, and they learned it. They loved it. Sage = Eithnis :D I did demo with you on Thursday though.

RockStar
08-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Great read, Trips!! Thank you for illustrating a little more in-depth just how strategic Jason and Jasco Games are being in giving UFS the best chance it can to reboot!!

Will you be attending US Nats?? If so, i hope to meet you there, bro!!

TripsEX
08-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Will you be attending US Nats?? If so, i hope to meet you there, bro!!All signs point to yes if I get another job and save some money for it.

dutpotd
08-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Nice report Trips, here's hoping you manage the job/money and we see you again in November.

- dut

Grizzlegrom
08-15-2010, 01:30 AM
All signs point to yes if I get another job and save some money for it.

I hope you have part two of the epic new ufs franchise ready for nationals. :)

TripsEX
08-15-2010, 12:36 PM
I hope you have part two of the epic new ufs franchise ready for nationals. :)Mystical World of Magic: The Coalition of Tricks

DaCaylen
08-15-2010, 02:39 PM
So as soon as I can get the video subtitled, there will be a posting of TripsEX's Nick Markey's Mystical World of Magic pitch to us at the RAM. The subtitles are definitely required because the environment was rather uproarious as well as TripsEX was hard to understand at times due to his inability to contain his excitement over his new ideas.

Also, TripsEX I still need to get that visual diagram you had as a visual reference. Please scan and send to me so that I may also post it along side the video.
Thanks in Advance!

TripsEX
08-16-2010, 03:10 AM
Shoutouts~!

Josh Kroswek - Good times with you again, but we didn't get to see each other too much during the convention, we'll have to change that. Thanks for arranging the ride back to Atlanta for me! The girl appreciates it as much as I do. PINEAPPLE SAKE NEXT YEAR!

Keenan Meadows - Thank you for the ride and it was awesome meeting the guy on the boards who reads into words too much! Seriously though, you're a stellar guy and I hope you have your swagger on 24/7.

Omar Chavez - You know it's always good when we get together in one room, no matter what the size is. If you go to US Nationals this year we have to hit the tables. Craps or billiards! ROAM THE GHETTO.

Jihan Chirchlow(?) - You'll learn to play the game some day, so good luck. It was really good hanging out with you Wednesday night and watching you fall asleep while building a legacy deck.

Sage Rogers - Has anyone ever told you that you look like Kevin Smith? Haha, just kidding man. Good times on the way back, but you should have been in that bathroom.

Danny "Ole" Fung - We never got to say goodbye, so technically you're still in my heart. <3

Mike Lowe - You crazy drunk, and your crazy soda made of real sugar. If you want me to get that artist together for your character card, because he'll do you up rad!

Shajir --- - I am not even going to attempt to spell your last name, but it was good getting those games together after Bucca and and hanging out during the convention. Come to more events in the US, we'll kick it like Tae Bo.

Dani Carpenter - Always awesome when Team Madison gets together and wreck face. Stop with the demo time though, and more with the play and hang out time! I'll make it to Madison some day.

Ben Habeck - Masturbate by the bacon.

Garrison Bunnell - You're going to be the first person from Wisconsin to win cardboard, you know that right? Great showing this year, and try to make it to MKE for events now that I'll be running them again.

Jacob Yonda - The sugars! Spoils was fun, but your wicked UFS deck is even more.

Scott Gaines - SALT! BODIED! STAY FREE! CONCRETE BOX OF SALT!! Godfather of UFS is always good to be around, so make sure you get back in this game and show up when we need you to.

Andrew Olexa - He gets another folks! Congratulations on winning another character and keeping Jeremy Ray down. Enough with that MonPoc, up with that UFS. I'll draw Voltron on some cards for you.

Jeremy Ray - Dude, you'll get it some day. If we ever meet in finals I will just scoop. You deserve it at this point, because no one plays as consistant as you and not get there. Regardless, you're the man and I had fun hanging out with you.

Matt McDannel - YOU MOTHERFSCKER.

Kirk Polka - I am pretty sure that you're a Jasco Games employee at this point, but it was good seeing you. You're finally talking to people! Now you're people.

Heath --- - Awesome meeting you man, thanks for walking around the dealer's hall with me and kickin' it wicked. Can't wait to hang out again.

Brian Harris - Dude we always have to play and trade whenever we see each other, and you brought the TX heat this year! Send my regards to Shelby and

Justin Tu - Nice to finally meet you man! You're not an idiot either man! See you at Nationals.

Jason Howranski - I know I spelled that wrong, but it was really nice meeting you and your crew (family, friends) at the event. I really like what you're doing with the game and you can make that check out for Mystical World of Magic to me at Nationals.

Everyone else! - I'm sorry, post if you want a shout out!

DabalRowRaizah
08-16-2010, 08:15 PM
<3 with you always trips

Drewkasa
08-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Shoutouts~!

Andrew Olexa - He gets another folks! Congratulations on winning another character and keeping Jeremy Ray down. Enough with that MonPoc, up with that UFS. I'll draw Voltron on some cards for you.

Put your money where your mouth is son! I want some voltron cards!

HypeMan!
08-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Dude, I was the one that made that Bucco reservation for Jasco :P

"*ring ring*" "Hello?" "Yes I'd like to make a reservation for tonight at 10 for 40 ppl." "Hold on.... Ok you need to make a reservation what time." "10, and that's how many people?" "40" "How many?" "40 people, is that possible?" "Uh... Um can you hold on." "*queue godfather music*" "Ok that's fine, tonight at 10"

"Jason, tonight at 10." "I don't think we'll make it, it's 8 now. How bout tomorrow after finals?" "Ok."

Call back, same shindig. Next day: "Thomas, can you move it up" "Like 9?" "9:30 be good" *call* "[...] 40 People?, Uh hold on *godfather music*" "goddmn it."

:P