PDA

View Full Version : Alice, First Look into the 2nd Installment of Red Horizon

NJBrock22
09-09-2012, 03:38 AM
Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the first article of the new season of "Character Gems Corner", today we look at the first character from the new Red Horizon 'Tides of Vengeance' Set, the Psychotic looking Maid Alice. From looking at her cards and reading into her, it appears she is an Orphan who was brought into the Occult at a young age and turned into a bounty hunter thru the Occult, using what appears to be a Short Sword as a weapon. For those wondering MORE about her her Bio is posted here (http://www.jascogames.com/story). Let us take a look at her:

Alice[UR]
Hand: 6
Vitality: 29
[Air, Death, Evil]
R: After this Combat Phase begins, name a card. For the rest of this Combat Phase, your opponent must lose 5 vitality as an additional cost to play the named card.
E: Commit: Name a non-character card. Your opponent loses 1 vitality for each copy of the named card in their staging area. Only playable if you dealt damage to your opponent this turn.

Well she's a 6 hand with 29 vitality which is a little above average... [Air], [Death] and [Evil] which are all 3 good symbols for counter-meta, [Evil] especially giving her some Control aspects to help her plow thru [Good] wall, how you ask? Read her abilities. First her E allows you to name a non-character for a commit, and you then make your opponent lose 1 vitality for each copy of that card in their staging area; most Wall/control decks will get 3+ of a card out and hide behind the 'wall' of redux or just general control(or in aggro's case a wall of damage pumps), this forcing your opponent to have to out rush you being able to 'burn' them. The R which she uses every combat phase, will allow her to name any card and for the rest of this turn your opponent must pay 5 vitality as an additional cost to play that card... hello Jin, Kaz, the Angels, Mai and all other characters that benefit a lot from stacking you've now gotta pay vitality to get a character dropped... this can also extend into Extended and keep Kung Fu Training from being played or for those 1 Hit KO decks you can name stuff like Absurd Strength, Chain Throw(if it was still legal) and many other cards. She is a good counter-meta character though i'm sure MANY will disagree with me.

Saint Rose Orphanage(Asset)[R][Terrain]
[Air, Death, Evil]
Block: +3L
While this card is ready, players may not play Action cards.
F: Commit, lose 3 vitality: You may discard 1 card from your card pool. Playable by either player.
Diff: 3 Control: 5

The Soul Eye(Asset)[C][Unique]
[Death, Evil, Void]
Block: +2H
E: Commit: Chose 1 [Earth], [Good] or [Life] foundation in your opponents staging area. Abilities on that card may not be played durring this attack's Enhance Step, Block Step or Damage Step.
First F: Destory this asset, discard your hand: Draw X-1 cards. X equals your character's hand size.
Diff: 2 Control: 4

St. Rose Orphanage, where were you about set 8 or 9 when we had Chain Throw + Kung fu Training + Absurd Strength to worry about... yeah granted they can commit the card as a form by paying 3 vitality... but ya know... if ya just found a way to ready it as your first enhance durring your attack you can lock out your opponent's ANNOYING action combos. The Soul Eye, hmm well it's a way to basically blank a key foundation until your attack resolves, which can be very useful, cards in extended like Holding Ground for one or cards like Shinobi Tradition to lock out your opponent's blocking and reversing tricks, there's probably a few more tricks one can look at for this one. The other ability, I personally don't see it having much use outside of a very select few decks that draw a lot of cards and are then locked into a crappy hand and can't review enough cards, but drawing cards equal to your handsize minus 1 eh... i'd have perfered if it was just pitch hand, draw to your hand size... but that's just me, I CAN see uses for it in a "keep track of how many you discard/draw deck like Algol usually tends to be though.

Dark Corruption(Attack)[U]
[Air, Death, Evil]
Block: +2M
SZD: 3H3
While this card is in your card pool, players must lose 1 vitality as an additional cost to play abilities that would draw cards or add cards to their hand.
E: The next foundation you attempt to play this combat phase gets -2 Diff.
Diff: 3 Control: 3

Dual Blade Rapture(Weapon)[U]
[Air, Death, Evil]
Block: +2L
SZD: 3L4
While this card is in your card pool, your foundations get -2 diff.
E: Ready 1 card in your staging area that has not been readied this combat phase.
Diff: 5 Control: 3

Surprise Punishment(Kick)[UR][Reversal]
[Air, Death, Evil]
SZD: 5M6
E: Your opponent loses 1 vitality for each card in their card pool.
Alice E: Discard 2 momentum: If this attack deals damage, your opponent's Combat Phase ends after this attack resolves.
Diff: 4 Control: 2

Dark Corruption, the attack version of Martial Arts Champion, well it's a 3 diff attack for 3H3, and makes your next foundation played -2 difficulty, AND punishes your opponent(and yourself) for drawing or adding cards to your hand... hey Miska Decks, Fail-Gol, and other loop trick decks, say hello to this attack as a block, how many times you think you can just loop that attack till ya keel over, eh? Dual Blade Rapture... well it gives your foundations -2 Diff... and readys any card in your staging area that hasn't already been readied this turn(including Alice for her E)... 3L4 for 5 Diff is well a little below my standards, but still WELL Worth packing if you have room for it. Surprise Punishment... wow in Air i can see this with Taki's support just wrecking your opponent, anything that'd put cards into your opponent's card pool... wait... this + Yoshi-tora in legacy... ... ... *evil laugh* but anyway, the Alice E allows you to abruptly end your opponent's turn when playing it as a reversal if it deals damage, which at base 5M6, there's a good chance it will, a very well rounded Ultra Rare.

Scouting the Enemy(Foundation)[C]
[Air, Death, Evil]
Block: +3M
R: Commit: After your opponent plays a form ability printed on a card in their staging area, your opponent loses 1 vitality.
Diff: 1 Control: 5

Blessed(Foundation)[C]
[Air, Death, Evil]
Block: +3M
After you play this foundation into your card pool, your opponent must discard 1 momentum.
F: Commit: Commit 1 foundation that has more than 1 copy in play.
Diff: 3 Control: 5

Worthy Initiate(Foundation)[C]
[Air, Death, Evil]
R: Turn this foundation face down: After your opponent loses 1 or more vitality due to one of your card effects, your opponent loses 1 additional vitality. This card is considered a foundation with a blank text box.
Diff: 0 Control: 6

Remember Your Masters(Foundation)[U]
[Air, Death, Evil]
Alice F: Commit: Both players must reveal X cards from their hand. X equals the number of attacks in your card pool.
E: DIscard your hand: This attack gets +X damage and +X speed. X equals the total number of cards you discarded for this ability.
Diff: 2 Control: 5

Scouting the enemy gives the finger to cards like Financial Troubles, and can help in other formats with OTHER annoying form abilities even better than Oral Dead and 'whatever Raptor's other card was' can and the fact it's a 1/5 with a block makes it that much better. Blessed... hmm well 3 difficulty is usually a turn off, but the fact that it's an indirect re-print of Trade your passion for Glory makes it that much better, may be a 2-3 of in any deck that can run it. Worthy Initiate, well what else can ya say about it it's a 0/6 without a block with a fairly useful ability, albiet a one time use ability but still, i'd run 4 in any deck that i can. Remember your Masters... well it's a mini-Bitter Rivals as a form allowing you to know what's in your opponent's hand before maybe going for the kill, granted it's an alice only ability, but it gets the job done. The enhance on the other hand... wow... any deck with some drawing abilities can just run over their opponent with this... yeah granted you pitch your entire hand and there ARE speed resets, but if you catch your opponent with no speed resets in hand or in play... say goodbye to them.

now as how to build her... i personally have been running a Version of her off of Death that has been VERY succesful and has caught a lot of opponent's of guard wondering what the deck is doing, so let's go with this build for this article.

Character: Alice

Actions(8)
Sa, Symbol of Protection[Death] x4 2/5 +2M
*Reaping[Evil] x2 1/5 +3M
*Soul Wave2[Death, Evil] x2 5/4 +2M

Assets(3)
St. Rose Orpanage[Air, Death, Evil] x3 3/5 Terrain +3L

Attacks(20)
Dark Corruption[Air, Death, Evil] x4 3/3 3H3 +2M
Dual Blade Rapture[Air, Death, Evil] x4 5/3 3L4 Weapon +2L
Hell Lancer[Death, Evil] x4 5/3 3H5 Kick +2M
Leg Slash[Death, Evil] x4 4/3 3L5 +2H[B: 2]
Surprise Punishment[Air, Death Evil] x4 4/2 5M6 Kick Reversal

Foundations(32)
Blessed x4[Air, Death, Evil] x4 3/5 +3M
Brotherhood in Arms[Death] x4 2/5
Contemplating[Death] x4 2/5
Into the Sunset[Death] x4 1/5 +2M
Know Your Objective[Death, Evil] x4 1/5 +3H
Made for Speed[Air, Death] x4 0/5 +3L
Scouting the Enemy[Air, Death Evil] x4 1/5 +3M
Worthy Initiate[Air, Death, Evil] x4 0/6

*Anti-Discard Tech, not necessary to the deck if there IS no discard based decks in your meta.

Hopefully this deck inspires new ideas, until next time, this is NJ, signing off.

KodiakZero
09-09-2012, 04:15 AM
I really like a death reversal version of her. Cascading Fear (gets momentum) and Suprise Punishment an be fetched by Transfix an by Penance, which makes for a fairly consistant deck. If you wanted to go Vegas you could also use Deadly Embrace, too. Good read :p

Ninja's rule
09-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Nice article NJBrock22! I've been playing Alice since the new set has dropped and unfortunately have not had a lot of success. LIke yours, my principle builds have been through death (with a splash of evil), because I believe that is her best symbol. I think she has a lot of potential, but for some reason I have had very little success running her. The main problem I notice is that unless you can ready her after you use her Enhance, I rarely ever use it beccuse I need her ready during my opponents next turn to use her React. My optimal turn would go like this; play an attack (a throw to ensure it does damage) followed by Dual Blade Rapture, using Alice's E followed by DBR's E to ready Alice for my opponents next turn. The problem is that there is no other way that I see to ready Alice in order to abuse her Enhance every turn. Unless I draw two attacks (and one of them has to be DBR) her Enhance is almost useless.

Alice's best matchups are against characters that loop the same attacks or play the same cards every turn (i'm thinking of Zoey, King and the Angels in particular). Against characters like those, her React really can cripple opponents and force them to play different styles than they would normally play. You'll also want to play as many burn cards as possible and Worthy Iniate can play a huge part in Alice decks. If you manage to have a couple out along with Smug Satisfaction, you can get multiple uses out of Worthy Iniate to really rip into your opponent.

Despite my lack of success with Alice, I'm going to continue to tinker with her and see if I can get a more efficent build out of her. I like some of your ideas NJBrock22 and will incorporate some of them into my deck (especially Contemplating which for some reason I never thought of using). Keep up with these articles, they are interesting reads and not only help new players but are a fountain of good ideas for us veteren players as well.

KodiakZero
09-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Nice article NJBrock22! I've been playing Alice since the new set has dropped and unfortunately have not had a lot of success. LIke yours, my principle builds have been through death (with a splash of evil), because I believe that is her best symbol. I think she has a lot of potential, but for some reason I have had very little success running her. The main problem I notice is that unless you can ready her after you use her Enhance, I rarely ever use it beccuse I need her ready during my opponents next turn to use her React. My optimal turn would go like this; play an attack (a throw to ensure it does damage) followed by Dual Blade Rapture, using Alice's E followed by DBR's E to ready Alice for my opponents next turn. The problem is that there is no other way that I see to ready Alice in order to abuse her Enhance every turn. Unless I draw two attacks (and one of them has to be DBR) her Enhance is almost useless.

Alice's best matchups are against characters that loop the same attacks or play the same cards every turn (i'm thinking of Zoey, King and the Angels in particular). Against characters like those, her React really can cripple opponents and force them to play different styles than they would normally play. You'll also want to play as many burn cards as possible and Worthy Iniate can play a huge part in Alice decks. If you manage to have a couple out along with Smug Satisfaction, you can get multiple uses out of Worthy Iniate to really rip into your opponent.

Despite my lack of success with Alice, I'm going to continue to tinker with her and see if I can get a more efficent build out of her. I like some of your ideas NJBrock22 and will incorporate some of them into my deck (especially Contemplating which for some reason I never thought of using). Keep up with these articles, they are interesting reads and not only help new players but are a fountain of good ideas for us veteren players as well.

Unfortunately, Alice does little for the player actually using her. A lot of the time, it's like playing with no character at all.

Flagnine1
09-09-2012, 07:34 PM
I played a pure control evil Alice at Scott's valley ptc and she did awesome for me. I used law of the land and hunt for jin to character block everything I didn't snap kick block. You usually use her e on your opponents turn.

Ninja's rule
09-10-2012, 08:26 AM
I played a pure control evil Alice at Scott's valley ptc and she did awesome for me. I used law of the land and hunt for jin to character block everything I didn't snap kick block. You usually use her e on your opponents turn.

Yeah but in order for you to use her enhance on your opponents turn, you have to play her through reversals. There are a lot of better characters to play reversals than Alice.