PDA

View Full Version : All Attacks Format (WIP)

aslum
08-13-2010, 03:02 PM
So here's the basic idea for a super-extended format:
Bans stay banned.
All characters are available as the starting character.
All foundations from the set the character was released in are legal. Maybe "Standard" foundations are available too.
ALL attacks are available for use.

Let's face it, fighting games are all about the attacks. And you can't grey-wall with attacks (some exceptions?!).

Thoughts?

HypeMan!
08-14-2010, 01:21 AM
I worry it would generally turn into: Play an attack, play another, your turn. At best.

The control check mechanic makes it difficult to run only attacks, or mostly attacks, you need foundations for the checks at least.

aslum
08-14-2010, 02:28 AM
What I mean is that this would be like Standard, Extended or Legacy a format. When you build your deck only foundations that matched your character's set would be legal (meaning a small pool of foundations, meaning less ability to wall up) but all attacks would be legal, since you can't wall with attacks.

So for example if you are running Mitsurugi 5 (your pic's source Halbard, ha ha ha) you could use any foundations from Soul Arena when you built your deck, but would have access to every attack.

I guess same restriction for assets and actions as for foundations.

Not trying to suggest an "attack only" format, but rather a bizarre love-child of standard and legacy formats.

wafflecopter
08-14-2010, 09:26 AM
I think the restrictions you decide on for foundations/assets/actions will ultimately make more difference to the format than the inclusiveness of the attack list.

There'll be exceptions, of course, but most attacks simply aren't powerful enough to be built around. There'll probably be decks built around Tsunami Sabre, Seichu Nidan Tsuki, Feline Spike, maybe Chain Throw. But most decks will still need to build a presence on the board using foundations so they have the option of staying alive next turn if they don't quite manage to "get there" this turn.

Also, my favorite characters are mostly promos, I guess I have to just play UR Dhalsim? :P

Birch
08-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Why wouldnt u just make a limitation on the number of foundations in your deck? So that you are forced to play more attacks.

rAn
08-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Why wouldnt u just make a limitation on the number of foundations in your deck? So that you are forced to play more attacks. If you limit certain types of cards it kills creativity.

Shinguyi
08-14-2010, 08:26 PM
I've had a similar idea with this one, but more into the area where you can only build a deck fromt he frenchise the character is from.

"King of Fighters" characters can only use "King of Fighters" cards.
"Street Fighter" characters can only use "Street Fighter" cards.
"Soul Calibur" characters can only use "Soul Calibur" cards (not sure if mixing "Soul Calibur III" and "Soul Calibur IV" will be a good idea or not)

This doesn't include the promos though. Depending on the promos (such as "All or Nothing") it could be used in any deck. Kind of like the Pegasus League YuGiOh! has.

JinKazama
08-16-2010, 01:30 AM
so... legacy using only foundations from my characters set? So Im gonna play a character from cutting edge off all evil or order : ( might as well just play legacy