PDA

View Full Version : New Keyword: Clash (or Counter, not sure of the name yet)

kilik850
09-23-2012, 05:35 PM
The way it'll work is that this keyword will be printed on attacks only. I'm still not sure if it should be just throws or all kinds of attacks, but the attack will already have an attack keyword on it (i.e. Reversal, Weapon, Punch, Throw). The keyword will have static text and work like this:
Clash:
When you completely block an attack with this card, you and your opponent both make a control check. If your check is higher, that attack deals no damage and you may play this attack as a reversal, following all restrictions and paying all costs.

If I restrict it to throws only, then I'd add this sentence to the end:
If your check is lower, your opponent's attack gets +X damage. X equals the difference between your opponent's check and yours.

Thoughts?

Flagnine1
09-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Seems a bit powerful, as I believe the ability to have attacks deal no damage has so far been limited to just a handful of cards. Also the reversal effect is a extremely rare only on 3 or 4 cards. I do however like the few cards with opposed check mechanics. Maybe instead make it a bit like combo where it is an e on the attack. "I.e. Clash e: if you win this attack gets +X damage. If you lose this attack get -X damage. X equals the difference between both players checks."

kilik850
09-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Damn! I forgot part of the restriction of the ability. The clash keyword would only be able to be used against an attack with the same attack keyword. For example, a punch with clash can use it's ability against another punch attack, but not against a throw. So that way, it makes it more exclusive to have the effect happen. I'm still not sure if the keyword clash itself should be able to be used (A clash/punch attack can use the clash ability against a clash/throw attack).

Eldelay
09-23-2012, 11:10 PM
If it is going to be exclusive to specific types, then it wont be played. That is too unreliable to be effective.

PvtChurch
09-24-2012, 12:04 AM
I feel it should not be a keyword, but perhaps a game effect? Say you block a punch with a punch, they clash and theirs fails, but then again that's what a normal block is for. Now I've got myself confused, going around in circles with this...

It's also got me thinking, if you block a throw with a throw, it should deal no damage, since that's how you escape throws in games anyway!

Cetonis
09-24-2012, 06:04 AM
This isn't generic enough to be a keyword, I don't think. As in, it's a wacky thing that you wouldn't want to print this on more than a very small handful of attacks in any format, at which point you're better off just spelling out the text on the card.

As much as I like to talk about how much design space this game has, I don't think that's true for keywords. The game is hard enough to teach people already, so piling on new keywords the way MTG does would be a very bad idea. The only thing I could see maybe doing a keyword for right now would be making some term to represent turning a card in your staging area face down as a foundation with a blank text box. It seems like something that's going to be commonly used, and it takes up quite a bit of text box space every time. i.e. If you called it "exhaust", then Apple a Day would simply read "F Exhaust: Add 2 face down cards from your card pool to your momentum face up," and if you really want to work it in Kaden2 would read "R (5+): After your opponent ... bonus, exhaust one of their foundations."

kilik850
09-24-2012, 07:59 AM
I feel it should not be a keyword, but perhaps a game effect? Say you block a punch with a punch, they clash and theirs fails, but then again that's what a normal block is for. Now I've got myself confused, going around in circles with this...

It's also got me thinking, if you block a throw with a throw, it should deal no damage, since that's how you escape throws in games anyway!

That's what gave me the idea essentially. I was watching Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture and it hit me. When Terry and Jamin both went for their respective knuckle moves and clashed is what gave me the idea. The clash mechanic would give the attacks that feeling. If you succeeded in the clash, your attack would essentially "power through" as a reversal. It also came about because I remembered that if you counter a throw with a throw correctly, the throw's cancelled. But if the timing's off, the throw still happened. The losing part for throws was so that the ability had a downside as well.

Akuma72
09-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Really? I thought you got it from the MTG's Clash keyword. :P

squrlmstr
11-01-2012, 01:34 PM
This could be a very cool keyword from a fluff perspective.

Clash can be a keyword akin to ranged. Where ranged can only be played as a block vs. other ranged attacks, clash can work sort of the same way except for when a clash blocks another clash card, each player takes half the damage.rounded down, minimum 1. Clash would go on more commonly used cards so that they will actually see the light of day. Lol

Its a neat idea that i would hope to see