PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Nationals 2012 Singles Results - Live!

Hatman
10-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Check this post for updated stats as the tournament happens. Updates will be written by Target X but I'm too lazy to log off.

Event just started, 31 players with a lot of big names,

RockStar
10-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Will do. Thank you in advance for the updates! Big ups to my boys reppin' the West Coast, USA: AJ and Aaron!

Hatman
10-13-2012, 04:39 PM
So far, AJ's doing pretty well, just coming off a 4th round win.

RockStar
10-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Updates? :)

Hatman
10-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Top 8!

Tim Keefe / Kazuya
Keith Disbro / Syrithe
AJ Murray / Mike Lowe
Phil Birch / Vespera
Danny Fung / Alice
Don Chambers / Mr. Karate
Garett Brett / Paul Bittner
Shajir Islamuddin / Xianghua

darthnoir
10-13-2012, 07:28 PM
When is teams?

Grizzlegrom
10-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Top 8!

Tim Keefe / Kazuya
Keith Disbro / Syrithe
AJ Murray / Mike Lowe
Phil Birch / Vespera
Danny Fung / Alice
Don Chambers / Mr. Karate
Garett Brett / Paul Bittner
Shajir Islamuddin / Xianghua

those are some painful top cuts matches, surprised no Jeremy Ray in tops, I think Shajir has a legit shot at going all the way if the Xianghua is similar to the deck I won teams with with a great first round matchup of Kazuya but only if Alice loses but i like the possibilities this top cuts has to offer though

Hatman
10-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Teams registration starts sunday at noon. event starts at one

Grizzlegrom
10-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Teams registration starts sunday at noon. event starts at one

will top 8 be today or tomorrow?

PvtChurch
10-13-2012, 07:56 PM
I got 11th today with my Padma. I enjoyed explaining to people how scary her F & No Equal can be!

RockStar
10-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Woo-hoo! Go AJ!!!! :)

Hatman
10-13-2012, 09:10 PM
will top 8 be today or tomorrow?
((Hatman's back on his account for now))

We started Top 8 tonight and will finish tomorrow. We are up to top 4.

I don't have the results on me (they're on the laptop which was left at the venue).

My personal report goes as follows :

1st match vs. Olexa
"Aw :):):):) bad checks all around that happens."

2nd match vs. SLAM
"Welp at least I got one but I had no chance in that match-up."

3rd match vs. Jeremy Ray
"...:):):):) this deck."

4th match vs. Bye
"Okay so this deck sucks I'm gonna concentrate on Gabrek and Alice from now on."

5th match vs. Mike Lowe
"...:):):):) this game."

So yeah, this did not go well for me.

The reason I'm not out with the boys is because I get to work tomorrow morning, then head straight to the venue in order to meet up with folks and then judge Teams. Teams will, obviously, start at 1 PM or after singles are done, whichever is later.

those are some painful top cuts matches, surprised no Jeremy Ray in tops, I think Shajir has a legit shot at going all the way if the Xianghua is similar to the deck I won teams with with a great first round matchup of Kazuya but only if Alice loses but i like the possibilities this top cuts has to offer though
J-Ray got 0-2 in the first two rounds.

((UNOFFICIAL RESULTS OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD))
I think Shajir got destroyed by Divine Tribulation and Garret went through his match but don't consider that money until the official results are posted. Since I'm out of the tournament I'll probably be handling internets posting results tomorrow.

makingsenseofus
10-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Go keith! Prove the angels still do work!

Grizzlegrom
10-13-2012, 09:40 PM
((Hatman's back on his account for now))

We started Top 8 tonight and will finish tomorrow. We are up to top 4.

I don't have the results on me (they're on the laptop which was left at the venue).

My personal report goes as follows :

1st match vs. Olexa
"Aw :):):):) bad checks all around that happens."

2nd match vs. SLAM
"Welp at least I got one but I had no chance in that match-up."

3rd match vs. Jeremy Ray
"...:):):):) this deck."

4th match vs. Bye
"Okay so this deck sucks I'm gonna concentrate on Gabrek and Alice from now on."

5th match vs. Mike Lowe
"...:):):):) this game."

So yeah, this did not go well for me.

The reason I'm not out with the boys is because I get to work tomorrow morning, then head straight to the venue in order to meet up with folks and then judge Teams. Teams will, obviously, start at 1 PM or after singles are done, whichever is later.

J-Ray got 0-2 in the first two rounds.

((UNOFFICIAL RESULTS OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD))
I think Shajir got destroyed by Divine Tribulation and Garret went through his match but don't consider that money until the official results are posted. Since I'm out of the tournament I'll probably be handling internets posting results tomorrow.

You did have probably the worst pairings for regular rounds possible lol...

Hatman
10-13-2012, 09:44 PM
You did have probably the worst pairings for regular rounds possible lol...
Not the problem - The deck was just plain bad and as the rounds went around I just lost all desire to play it, even finding myself saying : "I wish I was playing Gabrek. At least I could just throw mother:):):):)ers and not care."

Grizzlegrom
10-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Not the problem - The deck was just plain bad and as the rounds went around I just lost all desire to play it, even finding myself saying : "I wish I was playing Gabrek. At least I could just throw mother:):):):)ers and not care."

what deck did you run?

Hatman
10-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Miska Air/Void Howl Loops

generalreaction2.0
10-13-2012, 11:11 PM
is it bad that i dont want AJ to win?

darthnoir
10-13-2012, 11:40 PM

Yes, it is.

RockStar
10-14-2012, 01:13 AM

Yes, yes it is. Ditto what darthnoir says. But, for the sake of argument, why???

Hatman
10-14-2012, 10:12 AM
TOP 4 MATCH-UPS!

Tim Keefe vs. Garret Brett
Phil Birch vs. AJ Murray

Updating results as they come in! (you know that thing I was supposed to be doing yesterday but I couldn't because I was in the tournament? Now that I'm not I got this on lock.)

darthnoir
10-14-2012, 10:56 AM
TOP 4 MATCH-UPS!

Tim Keefe vs. Garret Brett
Phil Birch vs. AJ Murray

Updating results as they come in! (you know that thing I was supposed to be doing yesterday but I couldn't because I was in the tournament? Now that I'm not I got this on lock.)

Those are some intense match ups! Wish I was there to spectate.

Hatman
10-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Pretty intense indeed, we're about an hour in with no clear winner on both matches!

Due to the time frame and the fact that people may have to leave, we will likely not be holding the teams tournament.

RockStar
10-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Good thing I've let my nails grow long. /bite bite nibble nibble -> spit! :)

Hatman
10-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Phil Birch wins and moves on to the finals, cutting AJ Murray at top 4.

RockStar
10-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Phil Birch wins and moves on to the finals, cutting AJ Murray at top 4.

Congrats to Birch. :(

Hatman
10-14-2012, 11:35 AM
The Garret/Tim match-up is now at 1-1. WHO WILL WIN!?

Hatman
10-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Garret wins after an iron man match of almost two hours!

Hatman
10-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Birch wins game one.

RockStar
10-14-2012, 01:27 PM
So...who won??

Hatman
10-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Garret wins game 2! IT'S DOWN TO THE WIRE! (and getting mad long - this is what happens when you don't have a time limit)

Hatman
10-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, your champion...

PHIL BIRCH

SLAM!
10-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Birch!!!!!! Salt on cardboard!!!!

RockStar
10-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Congrats, PHIL BIRCH!!! :)

Archimedes
10-14-2012, 02:09 PM
I knew as soon as I saw Birch playing Vespera that he'd win...

darthnoir
10-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Congrats to Phil on what was surely a hard fought tournament.

Grizzlegrom
10-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Birch!!!!!! Salt on cardboard!!!!

Good job Phil Birch glad you kept the championship in Michigan :) and to think you almost didnt go :p

HypeMan!
10-14-2012, 03:09 PM
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

hype

Hype!

HYPE!!!!!!!

"Raging demon in yo' a$$!!"

SALT IS EVERYWHERE

makingsenseofus
10-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Lol gratz birch. You deserve it and thanks for not giving garret another character.

Also, another US Canadian national champion. I feel like our two countries are destined to lose nats titles to eachother

Birch
10-14-2012, 10:09 PM
I knew as soon as I saw Birch playing Vespera that he'd win...

It was all the character probably.

Trip Se7ens
10-14-2012, 10:57 PM
It was all the character probably.

Dodging Mai like a pro!

Birch
10-14-2012, 11:03 PM
smashed a mai btw

Grizzlegrom
10-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Death Phil Birch?

lazylantern
10-15-2012, 12:18 AM
It is Paul now btw

Birch
10-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Yes like a man.

Grizzlegrom
10-15-2012, 12:24 AM
Yes like a man.

nice hot topic edition? :P

Hatman
10-15-2012, 10:59 AM
I would like once again to congratulate the participants and thank them for coming out. I know I did in person at the venue but :):):):) if I ain't doing it here.
crossposting from the teams thread.

Hatman
10-15-2012, 02:11 PM
It is Paul now btw

Paul Burch = Phil Birch's evil clone.

Cosmos
10-15-2012, 02:14 PM
smashed a mai btw

I failed in my job as the Michigan Assassin. :(

Grizzlegrom
10-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Paul Burch = Phil Birch's evil clone.

wouldn't his clone be good? I thought Phil Birch was already evil lol... That is one of Michigan's symbols evil air :p

dutpotd
10-15-2012, 05:00 PM
You deserve it and thanks for not giving garret another character.

Yes and NO, meanie :( I was one game away, I could taste it. But I didn't want Birch to cry especially since he was smack talking that I wouldn't even make top 8 when I was 1-1-1 (my keyboard and the forums would never know the end of the counter-smack to that!)

I even removed all the P touch, Wonderworld Warrior style, and then lost to prove it's not P touch that is the problem - and I'm always right about these things :)

failed2k
10-15-2012, 07:38 PM
I even removed all the P touch, Wonderworld Warrior style, and then lost to prove it's not P touch that is the problem - and I'm always right about these things :)

When did you become a forum troll exactly? Do you remember the exact date? I'm not even going to bother posting all the reasons why that statement is 100% troll.

dutpotd
10-15-2012, 07:51 PM
When did you become a forum troll exactly? Do you remember the exact date? I'm not even going to bother posting all the reasons why that statement is 100% troll.

You don't become what you already are -> also, after little sleep and long flights, if you wanted a more precise answer.

I am just pointing out what I did and what happened promptly afterward. The facts are the facts, how I take them and how others take them is my and their own perogative. Not having taken the route of playing my Vespera sans touch I still managed to prove a little of something, and when it really counted. That being that Vespera with a 'good' reversal is enough, and unless you plan on never giving reversals out ever that are 'good' the problem will be Vespera and Vespera forever :)

On a less trolly note, albeit a troll with facts and measures, I was talking with Keith and we discussed your good idea re: the REAL problem at the moment, P Touch. I concur and offered an other alternative errata idea.

Postface - I am not saying anything needs to be done. Playing Vespera in the finals was actaully incredibly far from an NPE for me, I had a great time, but it could be just because it was a joy to see a player and friend like Birch play his hardest and achieve as a result. Not sure, it was good nonetheless.

Grizzlegrom
10-15-2012, 07:52 PM

pretty sure we all turned heel for worlds and trolling is nothing new on these forums actually I believe not trolling in some instances is frowned upon :p lol

dutpotd
10-15-2012, 07:55 PM
pretty sure we all turned heel for worlds and trolling is nothing new on these forums actually I believe not trolling in some instances is frowned upon :p lol

This is my opening to say Kirk taught me. And I was expecting Steven to help me out first, damnit! :)

failed2k
10-15-2012, 08:26 PM
This is my opening to say Kirk taught me. And I was expecting Steven to help me out first, damnit! :)

The problem with removing touches, is that it takes 5+ turns minimum to remove them all, which defeats the reason why touches being gone would make her way more fair, because without touches you can actually attack her early without just losing most of the time, her not having her touches 5+ turns into the game is pretty insignificant, at that point their impact is SEVERLY diminished by the amount of cards on the board.

also I totally quoted the wrong post. team trollingtons on the forums are going to be the death of me.

dutpotd
10-15-2012, 08:29 PM
team trollingtons on the forums are going to be the death of me.

Oh man, this reminds me of what AJ reminded me we wanted to call ourselves for teams at worlds. SO FUNNY.

... A Hurricane of Trolls <doing something I can't post on the forums>

dutpotd
10-15-2012, 08:31 PM
The problem with removing touches, is that it takes 5+ turns minimum to remove them all, which defeats the reason why touches being gone would make her way more fair, because without touches you can actually attack her early without just losing most of the time, her not having her touches 5+ turns into the game is pretty insignificant, at that point their impact is SEVERLY diminished by the amount of cards on the board.

also I totally quoted the wrong post. team trollingtons on the forums are going to be the death of me.

Yeah, I know. But with Paul it's pretty easy to say no P Touches in the discard, between ability and Wonderworld. Being dead serious on that.

Early game though, YES you can't attack because if you do you are now 0 ready foundations (and less 1) to your opponents much bigger board. This is why I lost game 1 actually, gambled that he didn't have a touch in hand (2 cards in hand after turn 1 of build) and he did... ... ... ... ... Lucky sonofagun :)

Don't worry. I have a good memory and will report it all up. And yes, Touch is the problem card if anything is.

Grizzlegrom
10-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Oh man, this reminds me of what AJ reminded me we wanted to call ourselves for teams at worlds. SO FUNNY.

... A Hurricane of Trolls <doing something I can't post on the forums>

well another good answer is to unban Truong Vespera is free but if you want us to turn it up a notch... Here it goes...

one slot available on me and Garetts us nats team is available to the highest bidder with a 99.9% success rate ;)

dutpotd
10-15-2012, 09:26 PM
well another good answer is to unban Truong Vespera is free but if you want us to turn it up a notch... Here it goes...

one slot available on me and Garetts us nats team is available to the highest bidder with a 99.9% success rate ;)

You don't even know if you can make it yet and you are throwing down the gauntlet and tossing AJ aside? Wow, see, I did learn from you!

Grizzlegrom
10-15-2012, 09:30 PM
You don't even know if you can make it yet and you are throwing down the gauntlet and tossing AJ aside? Wow, see, I did learn from you!

I thought Aj was teamed with his California friends and I was auctioning off the slot to make sure I can make it then we can win a bunch on blackjack :p

I mean real talk honest numbers we are two for three in teams and we lost to the team that won the only time we lost so honestly those stats alone are pretty good and I am sure someone wants to play on the dream team :p

The Hurricane
10-16-2012, 01:26 AM
I thought Aj was teamed with his California friends and I was auctioning off the slot to make sure I can make it then we can win a bunch on blackjack :p

I mean real talk honest numbers we are two for three in teams and we lost to the team that won the only time we lost so honestly those stats alone are pretty good and I am sure someone wants to play on the dream team :p

True I am a Californian... but I will always have loyalty to OUR team, Kirk. We are the best hands down! Gauntlet thrown at everyone else. Bring it. Team WTMCOTM...***stuff I can't say on these forums***... 4LIFE

Peeps best always be ready to clean themselves off!

Grizzlegrom
10-16-2012, 01:36 AM
True I am a Californian... but I will always have loyalty to OUR team, Kirk. We are the best hands down! Gauntlet thrown at everyone else. Bring it. Team WTMCOTM...***stuff I can't say on these forums***... 4LIFE

Peeps best always be ready to clean themselves off!

We are like the nWo of ufs! :p

Team WTMCOTM... SUPRISE! It's the boss...Troll Jeremy Ray 4 life...

Im glad with having a stacked team I just could've swore you were property of California in California but Im not complaining

The Hurricane
10-16-2012, 01:42 AM
Im glad with having a stacked team I just could've swore you were property of California in California but Im not complaining

Good thing we won't be playing US Nats in California then, huh? ;)

Grizzlegrom
10-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Good thing we won't be playing US Nats in California then, huh? ;)

lol im so tired bet you can't tell :P

Hellion
10-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Somebody have the Mr Karate Decklist ? And what symbol(s) did he play ?

Hatman
10-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Somebody have the Mr Karate Decklist ? And what symbol(s) did he play ?
Death and sadly, no. I don't have the decklists with me and it's not my decision to divulge it.

wafflecopter
10-17-2012, 12:04 AM
(100% second hand information) the only attacks in the Mr Karate deck were Swing Kick and Menuette Dance, and the deck was build to play 4 foundations on as many turns as possible. Max copies of the 3/5 symmetrical discard like War Between Sisters.

Hellion
10-17-2012, 04:55 AM
Thanks for informations ^^

Cetonis
10-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Not quite - there were two Mr. Karates. The 8 attack one was floating around the team event. The one that did well in singles was a death discard deck through and through.

Trip Se7ens
10-17-2012, 07:52 AM

What is this? I never troll, I am 100% backing everything I say!

Hatman
10-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Not quite - there were two Mr. Karates. The 8 attack one was floating around the team event. The one that did well in singles was a death discard deck through and through.

Piloted by Mr. Don MorningDemon, for those who were wondering.

PvtChurch
10-17-2012, 11:40 AM
(100% second hand information) the only attacks in the Mr Karate deck were Swing Kick and Menuette Dance, and the deck was build to play 4 foundations on as many turns as possible. Max copies of the 3/5 symmetrical discard like War Between Sisters.

It also played 4 copies of Bastet, so when I blew up my A Helping Hand, or War Between Sisters, I have more cards in hand than YOUR HAND SIZE, PUNY MORTAL.

I didn't get to finish my game against that twig, Mike Lowe, as both of my team-mates lost :(

Grizzlegrom
10-17-2012, 02:03 PM
What is this? I never troll, I am 100% backing everything I say!

its ok you are one of the master trolls ;) do not deny your heritage

Morning Demon
10-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Piloted by Mr. Don MorningDemon, for those who were wondering.

I'll be posting a decklist today or tomorrow. Ran good except for a few times but, that's the risk of a 4 handsizer.