PDA

View Full Version : Zi Mei Deck (Need help and advice)

Sato Arashi
06-17-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm looking forward in building a new deck but I was rather lost of who I want to play. I've then decided to go with Zi Mei. I was wondering if anyone is willing to help get a deck started. I will warn you all ahead of time that some cards are rather unobtainable since I didn't get much Shadowar plus it's not likely that I'd be able to get the money cards.

Lono
06-18-2010, 12:19 AM
If you're on a budget, I'd suggest Mitsurugi. He works off of almost any fire/life decks, can be built pretty cheap, needing only a few key cards. Just get Mist stance, some high attacks (really, any will work), and you're pretty good to go for a decently competitive deck.

Sato Arashi
06-18-2010, 12:23 AM
I am aware of how great Mitsurugi is, but I've given him to my friend, who is the only other person that plays UFS locally, so that he could do him where as I got my Taki. Besides, I haven't really given ShadoWar much light so I was thinking go with Zi Mei.

Tifer
06-18-2010, 01:24 AM
Well, first off, are you planning on playing standard, or legacy Zi Mei?

You can get away without using Fury of the Ancients in Zi Mei, and just use the Rites. They're actually a little overlooked imho. I used to run Zi Mei the same way that I used to run Fei Long. Play a bunch of attacks, clear card pool, and play more attacks. The Rites are particularly good because they all have different zones, and you still get your combo bonus whether or not your opponent blocked them or not. Driven By Fear is a great card in Zi Mei. Nursing a Grudge is really good too, as it recycles your attacks as you use them. I would definitely recommend running her off of fire, as it's one of the strongest symbols in the game right now. There are so many options open, it's just a matter of finding what's right for you.

Sato Arashi
06-18-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm planning for standard. I'd like to try doing her with air/chaos as she has access to Taki's Assassin's Secrets. Here's what I have so far:

1x Zi Mei**

1x Nina Williams
1x Taki

4x Ascending Zypher

4x Execution Technique First Rite
4x Execution Technique Second Rite
4x Execution Technique Third Rite
3x Seal
3x Assassin's Secret

4x Trained Far and Wide
3x War between Sisters
2x Ruthless
3x Stoic Assassin
3x Keeper of the Watchers
3x Carefree
3x Mishima Zaibatsu Leader

44 cards + Zi Mei

Bloodrunstrue
06-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Hello Sab

It's good to see you exploring the game and wanting to make your own deck.

I would recommend that you use Fire as Zi mei's resource symbol, it is usually more powerful and easier to make than the other two symbols.

Suggestions I would make for this deck:

TRY and acquire Fury of the ancients, I cannot stress how important they are to this deck.
Drop Seal. You probaby don't need it.
Drop Keeper of the watchers, replace with From the mouse,humility

I'll think on it more and get back to you,
Hope your enjoying the game :)
Bloodrunstrue

NJBrock22
06-20-2010, 09:49 PM
i know a very popular way to run her is as follows:

For the Money + All Life is Prey; then in card pool: ZM Wheel Kick -> Dragon Lifter -> Neutron Bomb -> Fury of the Ancients Multi 5 all + 5 damage if ya have enough foundations out + ALiP, but i'm sure there's 3-4 other ways to go about running her, i think i have an article to help ya out with this one, i'll post it up here a little later.

also look into making 2 decks, one extended and one standard both out of her, it'll show ya a few ways to run her.

N.J.

Sato Arashi
06-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Ok, I finally got cards and I ended up with going Fire. All I can say is after I went through a couple of gold-fishing, this deck just slaps silly. Here's the list, I know I don't have some of the good cards like FtM but it's good as it is right now:

Zi Mei**

Actions
4x Ascending Zephyr

Assets
3x Glanzende Nova and Frischer Himmel

Attacks
4x Execution Technique First Rite
4x Execution Technique Second Rite
4x Execution Technique Third Rite
3x Leg Slash

Foundations
4x Nursing a Grudge
4x Looking for a Thrill
4x Trained Far and Wide
4x The Strength Within
4x Hungry for Battle
4x Hope for One's People
4x Unstoppable Conviction
3x From the Mouse, Humility
3x Defeated the Rifle
3x Intimidating Presence

Best case scenario I go T1 Attack, Acsending Zephyr, Trained Far and Wide (Or as an alternative, foundations with TFaW with speed cards). T2 First Rite, speed pumps on that, Second Rite, F on TFaW, then Third Rite. If I don't have momentum on T1, AZ after Third Rite. That's an almost guarenteed T2 kill. T3 kill will happen often though.

Nfxon
06-30-2010, 08:09 AM
I'll toss in my thoughts on this. I currently play a ZM deck but with a completely different attack / foundation base. But there are some general ideas / cards I can give you.
Trained far and wide is kind of a waste for your 3 difficulty foundation slot. You only run one "combo" attack. I'd replace it.
Unstoppable Conviction has very limited use and no block. I'd replace it.
From the mouse has neat combo abilities but could be replaced with something more powerfull.
Intimidating Presence just doesn't have a spot here. 2/5 no block granted you can attrition grind foundations out but ZM doesn't have the vitality for that kind of game unless your focused on foundation destruction.

Cards I would consider. I know your on a budget so I wont say "RUN FURY OF THE PACMAN ANCIENTS"
Shadowar the boxtopper would be a great 3 dif foundation, all your attacks except leg key off it and the dmg redux is nothing to scoff at.
Theres some commons uncommons you would greatly benefit from Tekken, namely Paul's support.
For the Money and Financial Troubles are both outstanding fire cards that do lots of pro things.

Something else to consider would be your foundation curve. X number of 2 difs vs 1 dif foundations. Playing 4-6 foundations on turn one will greatly improve your T2 / T3 kills. Consider adding in Brooding, free cheap dmg pump.

Alright I'm done with this disertation. All the cards I've suggested short of Shadowar are commons / uncommons. So happy hunting!

VikTheSlick
07-05-2010, 11:16 AM
PACMAN IS LOVING IT.

(sorry usually I would contribute but that was more for Nfxon's sake than anything else, he knows of what he speaks)

ATLDrew
07-05-2010, 11:32 AM
^ This. And like it or not, starter Zi mei is just a vehicle to deliver Fury of the Ancients. If you just like the character then go nuts. But if you are trying to make her competitive based on her abilities, you are better off just playing Cassandra or another character. Fury, imho, is the only and the hands down BEST reason to run her.

Sato Arashi
07-05-2010, 11:41 AM
You know, hate to tell you this but I'm not going to spend 25 bucks each for a card, it's not going to happen. There's more to her than Fury of the Ancients as the Rites are a good replacement plus it has been overlooked, so most of the time, people are not going to expect it.

ATLDrew
07-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Absolutely dude. If it's working out for you, then keep rocking it. Do you have much trade stuff? Due to good zm getting banned, Fury's prices should come down a little. I know we have a couple we can get rid of.

Sato Arashi
07-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Depends if the trading is through mailing. I haven't ever done it before as I obtained my cards from buying card on CSI, trading with my friends and some others locally, or by boosters which is mostly why I don't have the top end cards as most of you suggested.

Nfxon
07-05-2010, 01:40 PM
There's more to her than Fury of the Ancients as the Rites are a good replacement plus it has been overlooked, so most of the time, people are not going to expect it.

I can agree with this, but the deceptive nature of UFS kinda gets thrown out once you start making control checks.
Don't take everything so negative man. I feel like you overlooked some very practical suggestions in my post in favor of defending your nonFury build.

Now is this a competitive deck? If so you should look at alternate characters, because ZM doesn't really benefit in any way ability wise by running the Rites.

makingsenseofus
07-05-2010, 01:44 PM
run brooding. Its guud. all your attacks get plus 1 damage, and you play a lot of those.

Sato Arashi
07-05-2010, 01:54 PM
I didn't mean to sound rude, I was just saying that I'm not capable of playing Furies in the deck due to my current case.

I did make some changes to the deck since I'm finding that Ascending Zephyr isn't cutting it when gaining momentum and I can't afford to spending attacks to gain the momentum needed for Thrid Rite so here's the following that I did:

-3 Leg Slash
-3 Intimidating Presence
-4 Unstoppable Conviction

+4 Pommel Smash
+4 Solitary Assassin
+2 For the Money

By having more attacks that can use her second ability, I can use that and Solitary Assassin to get the momentum easily. I thought of running Brooding, but I'm not sure what to take out as I'm finding that it is essential to bring me down to desperation so that I can use the Hopes to commit troublesome cards.