PDA

View Full Version : What to build next? Dutpotd's 'Standard' Dilemma

dutpotd
08-16-2010, 05:10 PM
So, I was 'probably' going to retire from my Hilde days anyways but with her pending ban/errata I am all but certainly moving on to bigger and better things...

That said, I'm running into my typical UFS problem - 'builder's block'. Not that I can't come up with ideas, quite the contrary, whenever I look up cards (kind of an all day thing in between work and other distractions) I have too many ideas. For example, I started today wanting to construct an Amy deck, quickly moved onto Omar, jumped back to Herr (a deck I wanted to build yesterday), onto Lu Chen, the life symbol in general, even considering Christie, Tira, Taki, Xianghua, White Crane, Black Popsicle, and others I swore I'd never play... I get to the point where I have an idea all fleshed out, an attack lineup and supporting cast, then I figure out a similar or better use for said cards in other decks, and I'm lost again, swimming in the land of never-to-see play UFS deck ideas.

I've come to the UFS community before for direction, sometimes before regional/major events, sometimes just to get base ideas, and you guys/girls have always helped me move on or make that key decision that I just can't make myself. I figure we have a symbiotic relationship: the forum/community helps me, and I often/always come back with tourney reports and decklists, rarely if ever keeping secrets or findings to myself, often sticking my foot in my mouth in the process, certainly angering some, and smack dab TLDR'ing others :)

And so, I come to you again... and here are the fine details of the deal ^^

You, a forum reader, suggest a character I should build a deck for. You can even go as far as suggesting a symbol I should focus on (I can't gaurantee I won't dual or tri-symbol it), but the symbol suggestion isn't necessary if you don't have one in particular you want to see built, and we all know a few symbols are still on the lacking side of things with a limited card pool and all.

I will wait for a couple days to get all the suggestions in, and the character with the most 'suggestions' is the one I will build.

Once I build the deck and play it locally and against other decks I will a) put up the decklist and share my results if I choose to retire it or ask for further advice, explaining why I built it like I did, or b) announce I will use it at the next big tourney (nationals it looks like), in which case I won't post the deck list until after the tourney. If I happen to win the event with said deck (whether it be a team event or a singles event) I will have to come up with a prize for the forumgoers that suggested I play said character. I gaurantee it will be a unique prize, and probably highly sought after, so yeah - give me good suggestions!

I will have to adjust for Red Horizon, either reissuing the call for suggestions if I retire whatever deck I built before, or by updating the deck for the new cards. In either case I will post what I am doing so everyone can follow my progress.

My suggestions to you in this endeavor: a) suggest for me a character you've built yourself to see how we approach the same character differently or similarily, b) suggest for me a character you've never seen built or run sucessfully and I will do my damndest to make it the best I can, or c) suggest for me a character you think is the best one out there, potentially having me break the will of my playerbase with endless victories, and more importantly pushing the envelope so that the best deck is on display for the forums to discuss and see leading up to a big event.

Without further ado, give me your suggestions!

Thanks,

- dut

Baranor
08-16-2010, 05:42 PM
I recently had a void king that was beastly. I'm curious if you come up with similar tech or something that inspires me. I will say, fair warning, I might be bringing him to Nats.

Shinguyi
08-16-2010, 06:18 PM
I think King is a bit overused. Why not go a bit original/different and use a character that isn't seeing a lot of play?

I say Taki. Her abilities are heck fun to use. Combine with two Quest of Souls and you have a board which doesn't become blank while opponent does, and its the foundation of your choice.

I like Taki and her tech, a lot. but I don't see her all that much. I want her to see the light of day. My petition would be "Play Taki!" unless you despise her, hahaha.

kryzenbeastfang
08-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Can you build a White Crane deck?

I've never seen one run, and I'd really like to hear all about it, as she's a character who interests me.

Perhaps you can? :D

Ninja's rule
08-16-2010, 06:48 PM
I suggest Christie, because i've built 2 or 3 versions of her and have had my ass handed to me on more than one occasion. First I tried an All version with her kick combo and when that failed miserably I went the life route using Law's summersault kick as a finisher. While I faired a little better with that build, more often than not her small (but very sexy) frame could't get past turn two or three before getting squashed by my opponents Heihachi, Mitsurugi, Ragnar... you name it, i've lost to it. No one in my play group will touch her with a ten foot pole (and who can blame them?) so I would love to see someone else give it a try as i have sort of got tired of losing with her.

So that is my suggestion. If you can build a Christie that is competitive and can win it's fair share of games, than you sir will be my hero and I would be willing to put up a poster of you in my house (not the bedroom of course, becuase that would be just to weird).

Grizzlegrom
08-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Can you build a White Crane deck?

I've never seen one run, and I'd really like to hear all about it, as she's a character who interests me.

Perhaps you can? :D

Jason has a pretty nasty one he was playing at the hotel :p

Grizzlegrom
08-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Build JJ it could be interesting

Sketch
08-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Jason has a pretty nasty one he was playing at the hotel :p

I won a dollar off that man while he was playing White Crane!

Real talk though, she's pretty good.

Shinguyi
08-16-2010, 09:16 PM
What of Dariya copying opponent's stuff? An almost complete Mirror Match if it wasn't for the symbols; she can copy an attack she completely blocked, she can copy any card in your opponent's staging area and her action copies any enhance on a card in opponent's card pool.

The mroe I think about it, I start thinking Dariya might be very fun as well.

The Hurricane
08-16-2010, 09:28 PM
I'd like to see a JJ deck.

dutpotd
08-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Hmm, I've actually built Void King myself, played it for a couple weeks in November if I recall correctly. It wasn't a huge stretch for me because I played a LOT of Algol back when standard first became the in thing after last years worlds. That said, every vote counts, and I can attest to the fact that Void King is actually hella good.

I wanted to build Christie way back (she was always one of my favorite Tekken characters, I also like Anna and Lily but they aren't out - come on promos!), so that would be a good one to build. We've built JJ in my playgroup, but I think it was a pretty rough Order draft - has potential though. There 'was' a player in my playerbase who built White Crane well before she was released, it was good and getting better as we all tried to give him the advice he needed to make it competitive. I saw Jason's at gencon, it was similar, but a bit more agressive and not nearly as techy as we had it. I think an in between would actually be best. Dariya is a good one, same player who played White Crane used Dariya in a tourney (kind of extended tourney) and he faced a promo Bishamon, it was pretty funny watching the no attack Bishamon get milled with his own ability lol.

Keep the suggestions coming, they are great so far! Thanks to all that have posted thus far.

Remember, if you see a suggestion you like be sure to second/third it as the one with the most votes I will build :)

I will count votes by the end of Wednesday's work day (5pm my time - roughly 45 hours from this post) and try to get a first build ready for our weekend local games.

- dut

Sketch
08-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Ivy. Make her work.

SMazzurco
08-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Algol.

Make Algol competitive.

Please.

Eithinis
08-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Jon Herr or Yun-Seong go

jason
08-17-2010, 01:33 AM
I agree Yun-Seong is awesome off of Air (that's right, Air).

HypeMan!
08-17-2010, 01:45 AM
I'll put another vote in for Yun-Seong

Da_ghetto_gamer
08-17-2010, 02:25 AM
Ill agree with the last two post and say yun-seoung is hella fun and i would love to see how different our builds would be off of air

But my real suggestion would be playing new character that was given out at worlds(cant exactly remember her name right now) but she seems pretty good and i want to see how competitive shes going to be

KodiakZero
08-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Kilik! (lol) Okay maybe if there were more mo-gen in standard :p

Nekuro
08-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Taki or Nina :)

Bloodrunstrue
08-17-2010, 05:23 AM

Your the best owner of UFS ever IMO just on this alone.

As for my vote I would like to see any of these 3:
1) Yun-seong Any symbol
2) JJ Void (It was his favourite after all)
3) Yi shan Water

Good luck Dut!

Lono
08-17-2010, 06:22 AM
Yun-seong + Communing with the Ancients = Yeah. Awesome.

dutpotd
08-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Yun-Seong has gathered a lot of votes! I have to admit I've built him once before, for a single tourney. It was off All, and he readied Financial Troubles over and over again, used all the cards to Sacrifice for Cause commit the opponent out and then looped Christie's kicks with Path out, taking a form in between to ready speed pump as needed, etc.

He is an amazingly fun character :)

Keep those votes coming!

- dut

SMazzurco
08-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Algol....Doooo EEEEEETTT

lol, seriously though

dutpotd
08-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Well, you can't vote twice Sal, so get your friends on it - spamming my thread that is...

How about this, if Algol doesn't win out the votes here I will build him for extended/legacy (I've had some muse in my head tell me to try this anyways). If he isn't up to par I won't play him at big tourney x (but you will get the decklist and analysis still).

- dut

guitalex2010
08-17-2010, 10:33 AM
You, a forum reader, suggest a character I should build a deck for. You can even go as far as suggesting a symbol I should focus on (I can't gaurantee I won't dual or tri-symbol it), but the symbol suggestion isn't necessary if you don't have one in particular you want to see built, and we all know a few symbols are still on the lacking side of things with a limited card pool and all.

I will wait for a couple days to get all the suggestions in, and the character with the most 'suggestions' is the one I will build.

Once I build the deck and play it locally and against other decks I will a) put up the decklist and share my results if I choose to retire it or ask for further advice, explaining why I built it like I did, or b) announce I will use it at the next big tourney (nationals it looks like), in which case I won't post the deck list until after the tourney. If I happen to win the event with said deck (whether it be a team event or a singles event) I will have to come up with a prize for the forumgoers that suggested I play said character. I gaurantee it will be a unique prize, and probably highly sought after, so yeah - give me good suggestions!

I will have to adjust for Red Horizon, either reissuing the call for suggestions if I retire whatever deck I built before, or by updating the deck for the new cards. In either case I will post what I am doing so everyone can follow my progress.

My suggestions to you in this endeavor: a) suggest for me a character you've built yourself to see how we approach the same character differently or similarily, b) suggest for me a character you've never seen built or run sucessfully and I will do my damndest to make it the best I can, or c) suggest for me a character you think is the best one out there, potentially having me break the will of my playerbase with endless victories, and more importantly pushing the envelope so that the best deck is on display for the forums to discuss and see leading up to a big event.

Without further ado, give me your suggestions!

Thanks,

- dutNehtali off of Water.

Using Amyrillis Spin, she can pull off Wrath of Heaven's combo turn 2.

Reversals worth noting:
- Leaping Snap Kick
- Lu Chen's Palm Strike
- Chi Disruptor
- Hilt Strike
- Frigid Moon

Not only does she get to use Amyrillis Spin for attacks, but Not Human allows you to use big block modifiers to reduce damage. Also add Osterreisburg Castle Throne Room to add further to block mods and give you a slight bit of damage reduction when itís your time to block.

Now, you can also try a CHAOS build if youíre interested.

The attack lineup is mostly your choice, except for:

- Wild Storm
- Assassinís Secret
- Curse of the Ancient Mariner

Possibly even Zi Meiís Wheel Kick, Demon Slayer, Evil Mist... hopefully only high attacks.

You could use Acheron & Nirvana for its first R, Chasing After the Power and Sailorís Rest for boosts (along with Wild Storm), then by dumping a +3 check Curse already has Powerful 3 (not counting every other boost).

Two thoughts. Iíve built the Water one only.

Birch
08-17-2010, 10:41 AM
My votes yun seoung.

dutpotd
08-17-2010, 11:48 AM
30 hours of suggestions left. Here is the current standings after 22 suggestions (so if you want something else, be sure to influence it):

King - 1
Taki - 2
White Crane - 1
Christie - 1
JJ - 3
Ivy - 1
Algol - 1
Herr - 1
Yun Seong - 6
Nehtali - 2
Kilik - 1
Nina - 1
YiShan - 1

- dut

RockStar
08-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Well, since i'm a part of Sal's playgroup, and you're asking for votes, i vote you build FailGol...er, wait, i mean Algol!! :)

HypeMan!
08-17-2010, 05:37 PM
oooo I like the idea of Nehtali, any symbol, but she be cool.

dutpotd
08-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, this thread can be closed, I will be building a Yun Seong (maybe a few off different symbols). Wish me luck, and look for my report on how it goes!

Thank you to everyone that responded :)

- dut

Trip Se7ens
08-19-2010, 06:12 AM
I was actually interested in seeing a functional Taki deck that could be used int he competitive scene, but alas I guess YS will have to do.

dutpotd
08-19-2010, 12:12 PM
I was actually interested in seeing a functional Taki deck that could be used int he competitive scene, but alas I guess YS will have to do.

I'll build a Taki too, I'm personally interested in seeing what I can do with her.

- dut