2x 0/5 The Man Behind the Mask +3M
2x 0/5 Hope for One's People +3H

71/60

Sideboard - 8
3x 3/5 Strange Fashion
2x 2/5 Memories of a Nightmare
2x 2/4 Good & Evil +3M
1x 3/4 Military Uniform +2M

The deck was built with a Vespera Heavy meta in mind. I believe that the dirty old bastard cannot be cracked by the spider in any matchup. He can simply out build, hit harder, and happily push through all of Vespera's tricks. I also went VERY heavy on High Blocks as I guessed (correctly) that the environment would be rife with High-zone attacks to avoid the worst of Vespera's tricks - not to mention Piercing Howl, Divine Tribulation, and Segaki Offering are all High. Lu Chen performed his job admirably. I loved my match-ups and played with some great people.

Match-by-Match report bellow.

vaporgecko
02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Round 1 vs. Phil Birch's Vespera 1-0-0
My first match vs. Phil Birch's Vespera was epic, with both of us throwing down massive foundation walls. In my opinion, a lot of rounds against Vespera are lost because a player blinks first, and isn't prepared to deal with the horrors of a reversal. I'm a bit of a reversal hipster though (Alba** for the win!) and have been playing with reversals since before they were cool. Lu Chen is a baller and hits Vespera harder than she could ever hope to hit him. On Birch's turn before time was called he went for the kill, throwing massive attacks at Lu Chen. My life total was dwindling, but I was getting in the blocks when I needed them, and was able to snipe Phil's Grasping Widow from his hand on the second block with Lu Chen's R. That stemmed the tide enough that Phil couldn't seal the deal that turn. The game ended 15 minutes after time was called on my turn in an amazing exchange of massive attacks that started off with a big ZING! which was reversed with a massive Paralyzing Touch for lethal, that was stopped dead in it's tracks by a Ballistic Snap Kick for the burn damage and the win.

Round 2 vs. Nick (Trips) Mike Lowe 2-0-0
So dangerous! Lots of fast beat down available to Mike, but the tiny vitality is just so juicy to stomp into nothing with. Nick fell victim to me having fantastic hands of high blocks, letting me throat punch the Piercing Howl with Galactica Phantom or Luck at every opportunity. KAPLOW!! is so very dangerous for fast 7HS characters. I sided into Lu Chen's little girl Amy for round 2 to ensure that I had raw the high blocks, and took the round with a Ballistic Snap Kick into a Enemies Now Friends Kaplow.

Round 3 vs. Paul (Flagnine1) King - Let me know your name again! 3-0-0
I love playing against King. Yes the throws are massive and dangerous, but King depends on being violent and often. And (if memory serves) it worked the first time through, as Lu Chen was broken in half by some massive throws. However, after siding in Strange Fashion and Good & Evil I was good to go. Game 2 saw Lu Chen dominating the playing field by getting TWO Righteousnesses out on turn 2 (thanks to Forbidden Knowledge) and Paul getting messed up on some poor checks. Soon after Paul scoops to push for a fast Game 3 win rather than wait for me to draw the attacks to just end him. Game 3 was far more fair, but I was able to Ballistic Snap Kick on just about every attack, softening him up enough for a Enemies Now Friends KAPLOW!! for the win.

Round 4 vs. Garett's Paul Bitner 3-1-0
I had 0 experience playing against Paul Bitner until this match-up. I held my own, but was simply overwhelmed early on by the quality of Garett's total cheat-face control checks and my inability to get some orange in hand. Game 2 saw a first turn UFS House, but the attack turn was stalled quickly by the quality high block line-up I field as well as Lu Chen's wardrobe of Robes and Uniform, but, again, a case of scurvy and Garett's flawless play landed the old man his first loss.

That's right! Game 2 I swapped into Amy to try and grab those KAPLOW!!s faster. Garett still cheat-faced a UFS House down first turn though, and I just couldn't draw the angry orange cards I need to take him out before he rolled me over for a slapping since I sided into his girl. That being said, I think Siegfried would have been the better choice.

I also always mix up the usual order of W/L/D as W/D/L. Yeah.

Round 5 vs. Dillon's Jin 3-1-1
Jin is a blast to play against too. Typically, any character that task there time to build up is a breeze, and Lu Chen was able to whip the young bloke into shape nice and easy in Game 1. Game 2 went differently however, as Jin threw down some very quality attacks, and was able toss some very quality attacks at me. I was holding a grip of 2 Ballistic Snap Kicks and 2 KAPLOWS!! (28 damage for those who are counting). A mistake on my part - forgetting the Fortress Frame Response on Lu Chen's E - let Dillon block the first KAPLOW!! with a Piercing Howl. On his next massive attack, I had a board far too committed to guarantee more than 1 block, and only a slim chance of tossing the second KAPLOW!! for the win (he had no high blocks and no mid blocks capable of dealing with the size of the attack). I needed to either check a 6 and then a 4, or check a 4 (using Together Again) and then a 5. I erred on the side of safety, and flipped Instability for the 6! Wasting Together Again meant I had to flip a 5 to drop the KAPLOW!! and I flip a 4! Dillion takes the game one Spinning Demon later!

Round 6 vs. Juan's (Zamora) Good Vincent Grey 4-1-1
First off, Juan has only bee playing for a month, and was at the top table and played flawlessly. He did not make a single mistake the whole game long, making it very difficult to take him down. It didn't help that I also ran head long into a VG Hack on a KAPLOW!! Game 1 ran on long, 40 minutes of beating each other in the face, of Ballistic Snap Kicks dealing burn to both sides, and a very unique Good Stun line-up on VG's side. Game 1 dragged on as I failed to draw any orange (used Hunt for Jin 3 turns trying to find KAPLOW!! or Righteousness) until the very end when I hit Forbidden Knowledge and 2 Hunt for Jins to grab KAPLOW!! and When the Moon Comes Over the Mountain. Ballistic Snap Kick into Enemies Now Friends KAPLOW!! wins me yet another game. 7 minutes was called, and out of respect, I played as fast as possible, taking all of 10 seconds to spam down foundations, only pausing for the occasional ZING!. In those 7 minutes, Juan and I got to turn 5, with Lu Chen taking the game with a Galactica Phantom** into KAPLOW!! for the win.

Top 8 vs. Jeremy Ray's Super Skull Man 33
Oh god I hate Crime Fighter backed up with Memories of a Nightmare and Good & Evil. Game 1 saw me playing Robes of the Grandmaster ~7 times, and had us slugging each other in the face for a good long time. Eventually J-Ray was able to swing for the fences, and I stupidly fished a KAPLOW!! to just have it run headlong into Crime Fighter after he blanked Instability with Memories of a Nightmare. Game 2 saw things get off to a great start as J-Ray comes at me with a very early throw to fuel momentum for Good & Evil, only to receive a Ballistic Snap Kick and a KAPLOW!! (Check 5 tap out my board) for his trouble. But then I checked through all three Instability and 2 Strange Fashions, and watch J-ray drop 3 Crime Fighters. Thanks to getting to play Regretful Existence no less than 12 times, I was not able to draw the Orange necessary to just push the kill before he finally got a second Skull Man down on turn 14 or so. It spiraled down from there, with Lu Chen going for a vanity KAPLOW!! before buckling beneath the giant throws coming his way.

In Conclusion
I had a blast, and was very pleased to rep my Epic Adventure boys in top 8s. I was also very pleased with how Lu Chen performed, and need to come up with some secret tech to get around Crime Fighter, which is the only real magic bullet I have issues with. Maybe I'll start main decking 3-4 Promo Lu Chens to stack or some bull-hockey like that.

Zamora
02-11-2013, 03:04 PM
checking like a boss
instability is most likely the best response, I've also seen Good & evil though I don't remember you using momentum with Lu chen, also Out of your league but you lose 3 vitality...
besides vespera this deck managed to survive 3 kicks and 2 dragon lifters, I bow down to the experience and wisdom of lu chen and its player

dart132
02-11-2013, 03:12 PM
So excited when I saw someone from epic representing in Top 8. Great Job Sam! Looks like you had a blast.

dutpotd
02-11-2013, 07:22 PM
So excited when I saw someone from epic representing in Top 8. Great Job Sam! Looks like you had a blast.

He also was top 2 of teams with myself and another epic-er in Marcus. Team West Coast is the Best Coast eh? for life :)

Flagnine1
02-11-2013, 07:41 PM
I was playing the King, real name is Paul. I checked really bad early game two and needed to get a kill before he got set up. Thought I could win game three but he got me the turn before I would kill him.

vaporgecko
02-12-2013, 03:14 AM
checking like a boss
instability is most likely the best response, I've also seen Good & evil though I don't remember you using momentum with Lu chen, also Out of your league but you lose 3 vitality...
besides vespera this deck managed to survive 3 kicks and 2 dragon lifters, I bow down to the experience and wisdom of lu chen and its player

You just gotta check like a bau5 if you're going to go up against the Vincent Grey. God that attack string would have murdered me if it weren't for swapping in Galactica Phantom** for Psychic Upper the night before singles. You play some good UFS.

I was playing the King, real name is Paul. I checked really bad early game two and needed to get a kill before he got set up. Thought I could win game three but he got me the turn before I would kill him.

Edited for the correction. You were a lot of fun to play against and I can't wait to see you across the table at the next Scott's Valley PTC.

I would also like to thank AJ for insisting that I freely run Lu Chen with a ton of 2s and 1s. I had traded for Ballistic Snap Kick for the dirty old man, just didn't have the gumption to run them main decked until Nats.