PDA

View Full Version : Empire Circuit: Stage 4 - Poughkeepsie! Draft!

Cetonis
03-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Saturday, April 13th at 1PM

Alterniverse
2510 Route 44
Salt Point, NY 12578

Format: Draft! / $30 entry fee

Here's how our draft will work:

- Each player will receive 7 packs mixed between Red Horizon and Tides of Vengeance. (Some will get 4 RH / 3 ToV, some 4 ToV / 3 RH)

- These packs will be drafted in typical fashion, with each round also having a mix of the two sets (half the players at the table will be opening one set while half open the other)

- After the draft is over, players may select any 1 character from the Red Horizon property (including promos, except for Truong ofc) to add to the cards they drafted. A pool of lendable characters will be provided, or perhaps proxies, or players can just grab their own personal copy if they have one.

- Then players will build decks with a minimum of 40 cards
:: Resource rules will be in full effect
:: When a deck is cycled, only 3 cards are removed from the game instead of 10
:: In the case of a mulligan, the hand being turned down is shuffled back into the deck instead of being removed from the game.

Unless I'm forgetting something, I believe that to be it :) Moving forward, with KoF and hopefully future sets designed with draft more in mind, 6 packs will probably be sufficient; but with these two sets and their shaky symbol alignments a seventh pack is a welcome buffer to give players time to choose symbols.

We did a test draft using this format this past weekend and it went very well, even with a number of newer players involved. There were some draft strategy mistakes made (i.e. forgetting to take foundations, or dual symboling too aggressively) but nothing to indicate any real issue with the format structure itself.

----------

Points standings:
[Name] : [Mass pts]-[Ams pts]-[LI pts] ([Total])

Kevin Broberg: 5-5-4 (14)

Tim Keefe: 3-4-3 (10)

Ryan Field: 2-3-3 (8)

Sean O'Brien: 3-3-1 (7)

Yoni Benchaim: 4-2-0 (6)
Rich Goetschius: 2-2-2 (6)

Jared Bohizic: 0-0-5 (5)

Cassy Shaw: 2-1-1 (4)
Christine O'Brien: 1-1-2 (4)
Eric Andrejewski: 1-1-2 (4)

Keith Baker: 2-0-1 (3)
Josh Howard: 0-2-1 (3)
Sabino Cuomo: 0-2-1 (3)

Joe Morante: 0-0-2 (2)

S_OBrien
03-30-2013, 10:21 PM
My score is not correct. I should have 7 points.

Also, show up and have fun drafting.

Cetonis
03-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Oh right, I forgot to add showing up points. Fixed.

Also, there's going to be some sort of fighting game tournament going on in the shop on the same day (don't worry, they've moved into a bigger space) so prepare to evangelize a little bit :P

wafflecopter
03-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Sick! Do we know what they're playing?

Cetonis
04-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Results~

Swiss:

1) Tim Keefe - Kaden1
2) Kevin Broberg - Nehatli2
3) Sean O'Brien - Kaden2
4) Ryan Field - Kaden1
5) Sabino Cuomo - Nehtali2
6) Richard Goetschius - Vincent Grey
7) Cassy Shaw - Nehtali2
8) Abraham - Reese
9) Nick Ganzer - Nehtali1
10) Frank Coniglio - Allahra
11) Christine O'Brien - Miska
12) Ray Schmitz - Alice
13) Jared Bohizic - Eva

Top 4:

Tim Keefe def. Ryan Field
Kevin Broberg def. Sean O'Brien

Tim Keefe def. Kevin Broberg

----------

Lots and lots of Kaden and Nehtali. I don't know if they were actually better choices, or just easier ones - when you think open endedly about being able to use any RH character, certainly the ones in the sets are going to come to mind a little easier than the Morathis and Mei Liens. Surprised nobody went Zoey though, she seems like she'd be a solid choice here but I guess nobody went the water route in general. On the flip side Chaos/Evil was definitely overdrafted, it's certainly a possible path you can take but it's not going to support 4 or 5 people out of 14 I don't think. The combination of both card count and isolation you get by drafting order might make it a little too good for this format, but perhaps those sorts of dynamics would balance themselves out given sufficient familiarity with the format? In any event, draft conceptually as we ran it worked quite well, and as the sets come to support it a little better it should be a very playable format.

The_Grim
04-14-2013, 11:03 AM
I was actually planning to go Zoey, but after getting solid life and death cards in the first two/three picks - had to shift gears into the Angels, which did pretty good, much better than I had initially thought they might do. That's the fun of draft, having you plan knocked to pieces and rallying. Ironically once i made the switch, we ended up with two neo cosmic flares going round my table lol.

S_OBrien
04-14-2013, 11:10 AM
I just everyone to notice that for what I think might be the first time, Kaden II made top cuts at an event. He not completely unplayable. I think a lot of folks drafted order because of how much of it there is in the 2 sets. You get Kaden and Lily from the first set. Then, you got Gabrek, Kaden (again), and Vincent Grey. With evil you got Eva, Kaden, and Nehtali from the first set. From the second set you got Alice, Nehtali, and Vincent Grey.

All in all, a fun format. We will be playing it once a month in Rochester from now on.

Thanks as always to Alterniverse for hosting us (and becoming a Rochester CCG-Distribution customer). It was nice meeting a couple folks from a new store a couple of towns over. I am hoping to get a store in Buffalo to pick up the game next week at UB Con so we can finally have a stop on the circuit not 5 hours away from home.

wafflecopter
04-14-2013, 12:09 PM
It's worth noting that everyone who drafted multiple copies of Crushing Power Shock + Flying Body Vice made top 4, I think :< That being Tim and Field. Sean's deck was a grindy nightmare to play against that went 2-0-2, and I can sum up my deck with the following: 3 Piercing Howl 3 Confine 2 Ballistic Snap Kick 1 Canine Strike. I'm not saying that it (Body Vice combo) is overwhelming or unbeatable, but I think it's probably substantially more reliable and efficient than anything else you can do with just commons. And, importantly to this event at least, neither card is terribly attractive on its own merits.

vaporgecko
04-14-2013, 01:01 PM
I just everyone to notice that for what I think might be the first time, Kaden II made top cuts at an event. He not completely unplayable. I think a lot of folks drafted order because of how much of it there is in the 2 sets. You get Kaden and Lily from the first set. Then, you got Gabrek, Kaden (again), and Vincent Grey. With evil you got Eva, Kaden, and Nehtali from the first set. From the second set you got Alice, Nehtali, and Vincent Grey.

All in all, a fun format. We will be playing it once a month in Rochester from now on.

Thanks as always to Alterniverse for hosting us (and becoming a Rochester CCG-Distribution customer). It was nice meeting a couple folks from a new store a couple of towns over. I am hoping to get a store in Buffalo to pick up the game next week at UB Con so we can finally have a stop on the circuit not 5 hours away from home.

I think that a strong draft format will make many characters very playable.

S_OBrien
04-14-2013, 01:39 PM
I think that a strong draft format will make many characters very playable.

I could not agree more. I think the community should continue to make drafting a popular format. It's good for players to get cards for their collections. It's good for store because it helps them move more product.

Plus, with a strong draft format, we can continue to challenge the Jasco design team to make cards good for that format like Wizards does.