PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Nationals 2013, November 15-17, Winnipeg MB

PvtChurch
08-20-2013, 04:44 PM
It seems Winnipeg is to be holding nationals this year, and was told the third weekend of November would be the prime time, though I am not the best at remembering things and may have gotten the date wrong.

Legacy will be Friday
Singles will be Saturday
Teams will be Sunday

Legacy will be commencing at 1pm

Singes and Teams will both be at noon on their respective days.

The event will be held at:

Hidden City Comics
845 Henderson Highway
Winnipeg, Manitoba

dutpotd
08-20-2013, 04:52 PM
I think this is all fine and good, but don't go overboard with the Tourney's. If there is a Legacy, a Teams, and a Standard you are already looking at A LOT of UFS. We barely got done the Standard and a truncated teams over in Quebec last year.

Focus on Teams and Standard. If you can't get 20 Legacy players it isn't worth it.

Cetonis
08-20-2013, 04:57 PM
There would be a third day for this one, do note. So legacy could fit maybe?

PvtChurch
08-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Yeah, with the 3 days, it should be fine for all three. It's almost like that ends up being one tournament per day! Gasp!

dutpotd
08-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah, with the 3 days, it should be fine for all three. It's almost like that ends up being one tournament per day! Gasp!

I'm just saying be careful. I'll play whatever you have going on, don't you worry about that.

PvtChurch
08-20-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm just saying be careful. I'll play whatever you have going on, don't you worry about that.

Would it be so wrong to enforce time on top 8 games? I don't know if there's a thing against it, but it would really save time. Even if it's longer, such as 75 minutes or something.

Cetonis
08-20-2013, 05:40 PM
No, you can't do that.

PvtChurch
08-20-2013, 05:44 PM
No, you can't do that.

Poop. Well, one day for each could very well still work.

vaporgecko
08-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Enforcing time will make your tournament a quite a bit out of the ordinary. I wouldn't do it.

I'll check my schedule and let you know if I can swing the trip. I would love to be more active in the community, even if I can't play in worlds! Fortunately you did dodge the weekend I am teaching classes.

SLAM!
08-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Depending on work and funds, I might try and find my way out there to rep Michigan.

S_OBrien
08-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Rochester will be there.

PvtChurch
08-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Depending on work and funds, I might try and find my way out there to rep Michigan.

I would love to see this happen!

The Hurricane
08-20-2013, 06:25 PM
I am making no promises, but... I am going to try really hard to get to this. I graduate the week before so maybe I can swing a Graduation Trip! ;)

We shall see.

Hurricane Out

Alcibiates
08-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Should be there. Not expecting anyone else from New Orleans to go, but I will represent your southern, French speaking half-cousins.

boredtodeath0321
08-20-2013, 08:04 PM
I have to check work but I should be able to go

HypeMan!
08-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Invade Canada!

PvtChurch
08-20-2013, 11:38 PM
My best hope is for our border patrol, Miska, to pull out a win. Though that's not exactly likely...

toysoldyours
08-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Our playgroup is gonna start training for this. Not sure who's all coming out. At least a handful of us. Gotta rep western Canada.

Link
08-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Doubt anyone from Southern Ontario can make it :( Id love to but it looks like a flight would cost me 500+ dollars. I could do a reasonable price range with Greyhound but thats a 36hr bus ride

Cetonis
08-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Is this at all official-ish yet? Can't realistically book tickets until something is locked in....

vaporgecko
08-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Is this at all official-ish yet? Can't realistically book tickets until something is locked in....

Yes please! Let us know when stuff is locked in.

PvtChurch
08-25-2013, 11:00 PM
I was just discussing things with the venue yesterday and today, they were a bit hesitant about it, due to the relatively poor sales of UFS, and the not-so-stellar turnout to previous events (Such as the Regional last year that had like, 10 or 12 people)

I think I just need to talk with Mr. O'Brien aboot working it out.

vaporgecko
08-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Keep us up to date!

toysoldyours
09-05-2013, 12:46 AM
Anything new on this? Id like to try and plan/build for it. So some details would be stellah

Cetonis
09-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Weekly bump and request for updates. If this is a possible not-going-to-happen thing I'd like to know so I can put my remaining time off towards some other excursion...

Hughes
09-13-2013, 05:38 AM
If its such an issue cant it just be held in Montreal again, don't both areas have an equal size community and putting it in Montreal would allow more US players to attend.

Cetonis
09-13-2013, 05:48 AM
Montreal group fell off the map I'm told. There's nobody there to hold it.

toysoldyours
09-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Calgarys playgroup has sized up a lot. I'm sure we can make something work if worse comes to worse

Hughes
09-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Are you sure I guess I could be mistaken but I swear a player from the Montreal group sat at my table at world's while at Bucca and told me his had 4-5 which is similar to Winnipeg.

toysoldyours
09-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Only 5? I thought calgary was pinner at 11-15. I guess we need more Canadian players . It's just so hard to connect in Canada. Stupid tiny population on a giant landmass.

Iceman
09-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi,

If people are wondering where to hold this CanNats. I manage Trilogy Games and we have been growing the group back here in Calgary with the help or Toysoldyours and Garret Brett. We have a solid 12 players with people hiding in the mist if needed people. Also the Store can hold well about 142 players within the store. As we just host a yugioh Regional for 142 plus a 12 man win a mat at the same time. This could be a good replacement if needed. I know in the past we were talking to FFG to host the last last regional since the poor showing for the first team event in Winnipeg. We brought 3 teams a spare.

PvtChurch
09-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Ok, finally an update! Sorry for the delay, UFS is a hot-button issue around here, it seems. One store denied us after hearing the word "UFS", three never got back to me, and the last store said yes, and I thought it was good for a little while, then when I came back, he said he didn't realize I had said for UFS, and then called it off :/

So, FINALLY, we have a store to host it!

Hidden City Comics
845 Henderson Highway

The gentlemen whom owns the store even said he would be willing to open the store quite early for us each of the days, as early as 8am if we desired!

Now I just need to hear back from Jasco regarding the prize kits and such.

PvtChurch
09-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Ok, just giving this another bump for a bit more info, and I suppose I'll edit the original post for this as well.

We're going to have Legacy on Friday, Singles on Saturday, and Teams on Sunday. I'm not quite sure on the times for each of these, Legacy could be... could be a long one, to the point of having to move to a different location mid-tournament, or simply having top 8 the following day. Can we get a callout from anyone who knows they can go?

dutpotd
09-18-2013, 09:24 PM
I'll come and we will bring as many from Calgary as possible.

That said, I am preoccupied with planning for earlier events until Mid October and then all my attention will shift to Can nats.

One of the problems with Legacy on Friday, or anything on Friday for that matter is that I'd suspect a lot of people can't make it re: time off. Speaking for myself, I will be taking Friday off to drive (all day) then Monday off to drive (all day) home. Of course I could fly but my other players likely can't afford that.

I really don't think you should try for 3 events, 2 barely worked last Can Nats and Winnipeg is further away for more possible attendants, i.e. they will want to leave earlier and arrive later.

If I was running your event I'd do singles Saturday, teams starting early Sunday morning - and that's that. Fun side event for anyone who is in town and able to be there Friday...

UK Nats knows this, that is why they separate their standard and Legacy nationals. Trust me, you should follow this formula.

PvtChurch
09-18-2013, 10:20 PM
This is quite true. I think most people won't be there for legacy on friday, but from what I can tell, most people do not care about legacy to begin with? I'll see who around here would care to show up that day, and who out in the world also cares to make it that day.

Cutting legacy is definitely a plan, yeah, but if we can get the people, I think it would be fun. I'll look in to this.

Does having Singles before Teams matter much? Teams was before Singles at gencon, yet it was Singles then Teams at Can Nats last year... Hmm

Cetonis
09-19-2013, 04:50 AM
I would be interested in Legacy. Doing teams on Sunday seems like it would be better since team events are shorter, so people could "safely" get Sunday night flights if it started early enough. (i.e. if teams started at 8AM you could probably safely assume they'll be done by 6PM, barring 48 people showing up)

dutpotd
09-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Doing teams on Sunday seems like it would be better since team events are shorter, so people could "safely" get Sunday night flights if it started early enough. (i.e. if teams started at 8AM you could probably safely assume they'll be done by 6PM, barring 48 people showing up)

I agree with that.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have a Legacy event Friday, feel free to - especially if you can get enough people. I just think you might have a hard time justifying handing out cardboard for a less than 10 person event. That, of course, is a whole other topic - what numbers are needed for an official best prize in gaming. I'd say for a Legacy tournament you want at least 16 - Singles - 30 - Teams - 8 (teams) or 24 people.

Of course that isn't my call but I do attend all of these events and have a good feel for what 'good competition' entails.

If you have a Legacy event start at noon on Friday I will look into leaving Calgary Thursday night, a stop in Regina/Moosejaw that night and an early morning for the remainder of the trip.

The problem of course, I could run into, is that I am bringing with me people (right now at least 5 of us I'd say) and having all of them leave early and do night and morning driving might not be 'possible'.

S_OBrien
09-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Looks like I may have a hic-up. I have to see if I can get Wednesday off. I thought it was going to be a Saturday/Sunday thing...

Cetonis
10-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Bumping -again- . The necessary travel arrangements are going to differ depending on what formats are what days at what times. For instance I need to take an extra day off if standard is on Sunday. People need this finalized. Please stop letting it fall off the radar...

dutpotd
10-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Right now I've taken Friday and Monday off. Assuming we are down for Legacy on Friday, I request you start it after noon so that we can travel all Thursday night and do the rest Friday morning...

We are bringing 6 from Calgary, two teams of 3.

We will be there all day Saturday and all day Sunday, we won't drive home until Monday.

Thank you and looking forward to some good old Canadian matches!

- Garett

boredtodeath0321
10-02-2013, 12:18 PM
I am just waiting for the time off if I get it I plan on heading up there Thursday the 14th can anyone pick me up at the airport and have a place I can crash at for the night? Once I get time off I'll be able to get plan tickets.

PvtChurch
10-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Yup, it's been finalized, do not worry.

More specific times have been updated on the first post.

Additionally, if some events run a bit too long (I'm looking at you, legacy) we have a secondary venue available in case stupid legacy goes for too long.

Which it will.

PvtChurch
10-02-2013, 12:35 PM
One of my friends said he'd be willing to help a couple people with couches and such at his place, I'll ask him aboot it.

Nfxon
10-03-2013, 05:05 PM
If someone has crash space / extra hotel to split for this let me know. I'm seriously contemplating this.
The dirty south may just represent.

Edit: How are we looking to meet the requirements for cardboard? It is around 30 people right?

dutpotd
10-03-2013, 05:13 PM
I have yet to determine my group of 6's arrangement but we will almost certainly be hotel-ing it. If my math is right you normally fit 4 to a room or 8 for two rooms. Given that, worst case, you can sleep with me Ben.

S_OBrien
10-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Can I get a finalized schedule please?

Nfxon
10-13-2013, 04:23 PM
This is about a month out. Do we have any kind of head count on who will be there?

boredtodeath0321
10-13-2013, 04:33 PM
I am still waiting for time off. I am going to push for an answer this week

dutpotd
10-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Looking forward to this. 6 from Calgary currently confirmed, slight chance we will take 1-3 more.

I'm thinking we are looking at numbers 6 from Calgary, 10ish from Winnipeg?, 5ish from various places (Tim, Aaron, possibly Ben, etc.), and ???ish from Rochester?

Nfxon
10-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Do we have an address for the event? Or am I blind? Either way it should be in the first post please

Awaken
10-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Hey Ben, We were thinking about going from from the REAL dirty south to rep...maybe we can work out travel plans and hotels? at least 3-5 of us would go

PvtChurch
10-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Do we have an address for the event? Or am I blind? Either way it should be in the first post please

Oh jeez, I'm sorry! I posted it deeper into the thread, but it got eaten up by other posts. Guess I simply forgot to update the first post. Here ya go!

Hidden City Comics
845 Henderson Highway
Winnipeg, Manitoba

boredtodeath0321
10-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Sad day its a no go for me to go to can nats this year. Counldnt get the time off. Sad day

PvtChurch
10-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Sad day its a no go for me to go to can nats this year. Counldnt get the time off. Sad day

Aw man, I looked forward to meeting you, too :(

dutpotd
10-22-2013, 03:53 PM
In happier news, I have booked the accommodation for the 6 travelling from Calgary so we are pretty much good to go.

Drewkasa
10-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Due to the seem very last minute support, it appears myself and Sweet Baby Keith will be bringing the Michigan representation. I look forward to seeing everyone and hanging out, though I don't have anything close to a playable deck anymore.

Nfxon
10-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Where is the roll call thread? So I can post in it :P

PvtChurch
10-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Where is the roll call thread? So I can post in it :P

On it, hoss!

Cetonis
10-29-2013, 09:38 PM
By any chance, are there any hotel rooms with space I can help split the costs on?

Awaken
11-08-2013, 08:54 AM
DO i need a passport to get to canada? Im from Florida and have never been outside of the USA (sadly)

dutpotd
11-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Yes, you need a passport to travel into Canada.

Awaken
11-08-2013, 09:28 AM
damn that sucks, i was gonna try to make it up in time for can nats, but i dont think i can get a passport in time lol

S_OBrien
11-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Yes, you need a passport to travel into Canada.

You act like it's another country or something :) Truth be known, the Canadians would probably let you in all day without a passport if they had their way. It's the jerk Americans that don't want to let you back in.

dutpotd
11-13-2013, 11:03 AM
You act like it's another country or something :) Truth be known, the Canadians would probably let you in all day without a passport if they had their way. It's the jerk Americans that don't want to let you back in.

This is actually pretty true, you used to not need passports to go either way but things have changed.

Anyways, tomorrow night we start our drive, Can Nats hype! Calgary is ready to represent :)

PvtChurch
11-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Forecast for Saturday and Sunday calls for snow. Not too cold, just a tad under 0c (about 25-ish in F)

Bring some warm jackets if you're not used to it.

Nfxon
11-13-2013, 02:40 PM
I was going to comment on it being cold. But since you beat me to the punch with not "too cold" I feel silly.
Define calls for 'snow.' Is that like a meter or what? o.O

toysoldyours
11-14-2013, 12:35 AM
I was going to comment on it being cold. But since you beat me to the punch with not "too cold" I feel silly.

well.... dog sledding IS an actual sport here...... just sayin

Awaken
11-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Canadian Nats has no fear of this Southern guy EVER making a showing lol...its 70 here and i got the heat on and all dressed up in my warm winter clothes...good luck up there guys! interested to see what the outcome will be

PvtChurch
11-14-2013, 02:01 PM

Naw, naw. Just some sprinkles, I doubt it'll stick to the ground or anything. Pretty much just some cold rain.

S_OBrien
11-14-2013, 09:17 PM
I am disappointed by how warm it is in Winnipeg.