PDA

View Full Version : 2 Out of 3 Ain’t Bad but 3 Out of 4 is Better! – dutpotd’s 2013 Gencon

dutpotd
08-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Well, this was a really weird Gencon for me. I lost to my own deck in Legacy finals, okay that’s not that weird considering I lose in Legacy finals like 75% of the time I make it there, but this was the first year I built both decks in the Legacy finals and it hurts a bit more to know the one that normally wins the matchup had the worst run of checks ever in its loss.

I also went undefeated in singles, but was diversified by a deck that didn’t go undefeated. This isn’t that surprising either.

So what was weird about my Gencon then? I didn’t stay with UFS House. Not that I regret it, I did enjoy spending time with Kirk, Scott, and my friends from Calgary. But nothing can replace systematically being torn apart by Jon Herr for a full 4 days, and I just feel like I got away from Gencon unscathed! Don’t get me wrong, he did get in a few jabs here and there, Canada jokes, congratulating me on being diversified, asking me about my safari bag, etc. But I just didn’t get to spend enough time with him for the judges to hand him a clear knockout or issue a decision.

Getting away from the ‘weird’ and back on the track of ‘normal’, I thought the title of this report was fitting seeing as how it features the title of one of my favorite Meatloaf songs and points to my steady improvement concerning the number of my ‘creations’ at final UFS tables. In 2012 I created the Bittner in standard and Nako in Legacy and in 2013 I created the Jon Herr in standard, and the Mignon and Truong in Legacy. That’s an improvement to 3 out of 4 decks at the final tables and next year it stands to reason I am going for a full 4 out of 4 sweep!

I’m going to post decklists in the decklist forum when I get around to it, for now I will just debrief everyone on my tournament experience here followed by a brief shoutout to the non-ufs relevant Gencon things that I was involved with this last week.

Legacy – Mignon off of Good, my other decks entered (run by others) were Seong-Mina off of Water, Felicia dual Air/Good, and Truong Evil

Round 1 vs. Garrison playing Life Angel – result, tie, record after round 0-0-1

I was late getting here and a bit frazzled, I came straight from winning a True Dungeon run with UFS House (still have those runes memorized, I am a ‘good’ Cleric after all). Garrison was as kind and cool as ever and we had a very fun match. I lost game 1 because I suck against Omniel and Garrison is really good with him and always gets him out turn 2 against me. Game 2 I struggled but did pull out a win before we ran out of time. Good is a strong symbol, but it doesn’t really have any draw power, what that means is that every piece it has needs to pull its weight and in a match where the pieces are being targeted selectively it can really struggle.

Round 2 vs. Piglet playing Earth King (Tekken) – result, win, record after round 1-0-1

Pretty typical for me to be paired up, and this time to Piglet who I understand won his first match of the day. I didn’t have that much trouble with Mr. Turner, except for getting over the fact I came from Montanada (always a joy Matt ^^). I pride myself on being ready for anything in Legacy and I was ready for throws and damage pump. I was a bit worried once I realized just how much damage Piglet was prepared to throw so I went for an early, turn 2 kill (after antisocial extra) kill with a Fight or Flighted Darkness Blade. It did its job despite my not having access to any speed pump and that was that. Game 2 was a bit more precarious as I couldn’t find any big damaging attacks early, so I sat on my defenses and did my best to battle his Rare Card shenanigans; eventually I got the offense I needed to end the game.

Round 3 vs. AJ – playing Death Sagat – result loss, record after round 1-1-1

AJ was in a diversity battle so he needed this lot more than me that helped me suck in the loss. But who am I kidding, I couldn’t find my answer to his one hit kill, Healers and Amy’s and that is how it goes. I was therefore one hit killed in both games at awkward times. I told AJ not to get ahead of himself and that 3-0-0 wasn’t everything when playing as a one-trick pony deck. Unfortunately, I was foreshadowing his demise because he ended up just missing top cuts. AJ’s deck used Chaos Flare and Heir to the Storm backed by Soul Power and Valued but Not Trusted to one hit people. Oh, and of course he had Lesser of Many Evils… Can’t forget that one either!

What was to be my only Swiss loss of the weekend out of the way I vowed to play harder now that I was sufficiently humbled.

Round 4 vs. Keith D – playing Death Sagat – result win, record after round 2-1-1

Great, more Death for me! I’m telling you, as a Good player that likes to reversal I hate playing against Death decks that can ruin my day with Lesser of Many Evils and End it All, and of course Keith was playing both… Unfortunately for him I don’t think he was 100% into the Legacy game, which is just tricks after trick, and I tricked him into Tiger Genociding me when I had negation out, committed out completely I won game 1. Game 2 I think he ran into my Darkness Blade and that was that.

Round 5 vs. Mark (Slam!) - playing Void Zangief - result win, record after round 3-1-1

Back to back up and coming Michigan players!!! This one with a deck that just made Keenan Meadows cry, and he is one of the best Legacy players (players even) that I know. That's fine with me though, I know I can beat Slam! so I go about doing it. Unfortunately, the Void wall is nigh unbreakable if you let it set up. It is the reason Void Sakura is silly. It is the reason Akuma was amazing. Etc. Therefore I attacked hard and fast dropping a Darkness Blade on turn 2 when I sensed some weakness. With Slam! down to single digits I was able to finish him later with some stuff, but not after he got a Zangief dirty card into his momentum face up and started to Contemplate me. Thankfully, I also found my Undercover Agents who always help me out in Legacy and I took game 1, barely.

Game 2 I knew it'd be very hard to kill Slam! again, now that he had a good feeling for what my answers were to him I expected he'd be able to do a better job at dismantling them. He did, and got 2 copies of Contemplation out on turn 2 or 3 and went to work. Lucky for me my deck had 12 or so attacks in it after siding in a few more and I was able to survive through the discard-fest. Time was called and I took the round.

Slam! is one of my favorite people, and seeing him woop-ass in Legacy was awesome. Even if it was with a 'broke' deck :) Play Legacy again, you will not be disappointed!

Round 6 vs. Marcus S – playing Life Xia – result win, record after round 4-1-1

I think there were only 5 rounds of swiss for Legacy (sorry if I am forgetting anyone!) We had 30+ people so this was the biggest Legacy tourney I’d ever been in, first entry in 2010.
Marcus is mean. Seriously, who plays Slicekicks in Legacy… Meanie. Well, believe it or not I have more tricks in Legacy to deal with Slicekicks than I do/did in standard. It’s called Fight or Flight and Kaplow, one does of that and Xia was put to rest during her turn 2 kill turn game 1. In game 2 I was backed up against a bigger wall but still managed to survive things somehow. And by things I mean 5 attacks, followed by Make a Difference and some more attacks thereafter. Marcus always provides the fun games and I hope I get to play against him again sometime soon.

Round of 8 vs. Piglet – still playing Earth King (Tekken) – result win

Nothing too new to report here. I got a pretty good stranglehold of the game 1 with some Amy’s and Strange Fashion early then went for the kill. Game 2 he almost got me, but alas 4 straight wins against throws is what a man prepared for throws does.

Round of 4 vs. Scott (Magnus) – Order/Water Tycho – result win

Here is a 3.5+ hour match waiting to happen. Scott is playing an Order monster, one that locks stuff down and outbuilds you by playing Sacrifices for the Cause’s form, discarding 0 cards, reacting with Tycho to commit 1 and draw 1. The 1 committed is Shinobi Tradition so basically what happens is you draw, pass what you draw, then draw some more. Typical unchecked build turns saw Scott build 10+ cards in a turn. My whole goal was to get out and protect Undercover Agent, something that is extremely hard because Scott was also running 4 Silences to hit any anti-committal I got my hands on.

Game 1 was a ridiculously long game that saw me take care of his Dirty Pool for enough turns to attack and deal half of his vitality to him. Then, after another 5 or 6 turns of posturing I was able to finish him off by looping throws, throws that were hiding at the bottom of my deck after the first cycle.

Game 2 was bad. He got out Sacrifices turn 1, and Shinobi turn 2, followed by a lot of Program Malfunction and Ring Veteran. He pretty much had this game after turn 3 with like 13 foundations to my 6, since I had to double Tag Along turn 2 in order to try to get some Undercovers and ended up checking two 2s… However, Scott made some mistakes, including forgetting to chain-call infinities and luckily I got away with a turn where he only built 3 cards. I had an answer for a lot of his kill attempts, crazy techy action cards I sided in, but he also had Showdowns. Ultimately, he got me after I overextended to do some damage to him, which is really all you could do at any one time, him with free blocks and a zillion cards in hand every turn. He also sided into throw defense so I had to hit him by outzoning him.

Game 3 I was determined to play out my gameplan, now that I got to go first again. I didn’t get any really bad luck and again I found myself in a position where I could deal about 13 damage to him. I did so and held just the 1 card I needed to survive his unblockable attack assault. He thought he was invincible with Cutting Edge out but I Shadow Bladed that away and finished him off.

Final Round vs. Kevin (Waffle) – My/Kirk’s Evil Truong – result loss

There is a really funny backstory to this event. Namely, Kevin asked me to borrow a deck on Monday night. I scrambled Tuesday to put together a deck for him that I thought could win the whole thing, namely I made the UK Seong Mina Legacy winner better. Then, I got to Indy and played some practice games with Kirk Polka and he decided he wanted to play Seong Mina. This left us in a bind, I still had to give Kevin a deck, because I told him he’d play Seong Mina and now I felt bad about it. Kirk and I had also been tossing some deck ideas back and forth pre-con and he brought a Xia and a Truong we had fleshed out. We did some playtesting with Truong, then I gutted him and made him better. Taking out the redundant pieces and giving him my own Evil favorites. The result was a monster deck that Kevin had in his hands to play against me in this final.

Sadly, I was pretty confident going into this match. My Good decks almost always beat Evil decks, they are designed to counter agro Evil decks. I firmly believe my Mignon would beat my Truong like 8 out of 10 matches. However, it was not to be, Truong won dice roll and got out Shinobi’s turn 1, what followed was a string of Zeus, Zeus, Chasm, etc. I survived with 1 vitality. It was all I could do on turn 2 to build enough defenses to survive any other assault he could throw on his turn 3. I got everything I needed but throw defense, and lucky for me Kevin did not draw either of the last 2 Scourges in his deck. On my turn 3 I had everything I needed to finish Kevin, I played a Kaplow on a 5 and checked a 1 (the only 1 in my deck), Kevin Anti-K’d it to 0 and the rest is game 1 history.

Game 2 I went first and checked a 2 on foundation 3. Kevin built 4 turn 1, including Revoke and Shinobi, again… My turn 2 I checked another 2, and only built another 2 foundations. 4 foundations to my half committed board is not good and Kevin turn 2’d me after I checked a 1 (the only 1!!!) on one of my block checks. Sigh.

I was very happy for Kevin, and somewhat relieved after the 3.5+ hour match before to be done so soon. In any case, my decks did well, that was some consolation, and I congratulated Kevin and moved on hoping to accomplish bigger and better the rest of the weekend.

Teams - Jon Herr off of All (aka the 2nd place Singles deck, +1 Bernstein) with Kirk playing Iori off of Evil and AJ playing Bittner2 the non-swords variant off of Fire

I really badly wanted to win teams again this year, and I think what my team was playing was enough to take it. However, we ran into a very strong team in round 2 and made some mistakes, and then in round 3 we ran into an even hotter team that ended up Swiss champing. Sadly, even though our 2 losses were against teams that had hugely good strength of schedule, our 2 wins were against teams that didn’t win all day so we weren’t one of the teams with 2-2 records to make the cut. We were paired up and then paired down, it didn’t make sense, but it is what it is.

Round 1 vs. Church playing Mr. Karate off of Air, individual win and team win, 1-0-0

I can’t remember what my fellow Canadians were playing for teams, but I remember after winning the roll off we figured I was the only one who could beat Mr. Karate. It was a pretty wicked long game of me holding onto my shirt/vitality but eventually I had the positioning to kill him without him killing me on the backswing.

I’d never had the pleasure of playing against Church before so this was a long sought match. He didn’t disappoint, friendly and skilled. Can’t wait to play you again!

Round 2 vs. Ben Shoemaker playing Ben Shoemaker off of Air, individual team loss and team loss, 1-1-0

Keenan was playing Evil Keenan and Matt (Piglet) an Earth Omar. We won the die roll but couldn’t make a decision, we were pretty sure all of us could take any of them. I don’t disagree with that assessment even now, despite our loss. They paired off the Iori with Keenan, makes sense since you’d think Ballistic would hurt Iori. It didn’t though, Kirk won with flying colors. We decided I’d take Shoe because Paul Bittner 2 ditched cards himself and it would just be a race if he’d play Ben.

I always have very close games with Ben, and the two times I played him this weekend were no different. In this match I was Jon Herr and had access to cards that really hurt his ability to attack into me. Despite that, he won the die roll and outbuilt me for the first 4+ turns. I finally arrived at a situation where I was happy enough to attack, if only to get rid of some of his oomph. I left him at 3 with one attack in hand (thank you Kaplow) and looking at his discard pile and what-not I decided he would have a very hard time killing me next turn (all 4 Piercing were gone so no loops) myself still at near full (less Directing self-kill).

Here is where I took my biggest risk of Gencon and it didn’t pay off, in fact it is probably what cost my team a very solid opportunity at repeating a win. I decided that I would use my Directing an Empire to commit his 1 Directing an Empire, hoping it would leave me with my Clandestine open for a next turn kill. Unfortunately, had I not taken the 2 vitality loss, or if I had taken it hitting his War Between Sisters or something, I could have survived. Since he killed me by 1 point of damage. Our game was so intense that we didn’t have time for a second one. AJ lost to Piglet, I’m not sure how, but what we watched of their game they were both making play mistakes left and right.

Round 3 vs. Childress (Ken Masters) playing Jin off Chaos, individual loss and team loss 1-2-0
Well, I knew exactly what his deck would do since I played it in top 16 last Gencon. It threw lots of attacks. I survived it with Eva with 30 attacks in my deck so I thought it’d be easier with Jon Herr with Templar and a lot of better checks. I was wrong, this was the second time one of my decks decided that checking poorly was the ‘thing to do’ and the Jin hit nothing but 5s across the board on turn 2 game 1, and then on turn 1 and 2 game 2. That’s right the guy threw 3 attacks at me turn 1 in game 2, then built 2 foundations. We all lost our matches this round, Garett Brett stomped on Iori with Piercing Howls, and I’m blaming my turn 2 losses on that (my emotional state was compromised severely).

I’m kidding, Childress played awesome all weekend, punting me in this match and then punting me via diversity in the day to follow. I’d never lost to him before and to be honest I greatly underestimated him, but this was his weekend to turn that all around on me.

Round 4 vs. Justen (Pandasauce) playing Void Satoshi, individual tie and team win 2-2-0

I’d never played Justen or met him before this, but I did recognize his names from the forums. I wasn’t super pumped going into this game because I did the maths and already knew that even if we won we would just miss top cuts on strength of schedule.

In any case, game 1 I took a little while to setup and actually whiffed my kill turn. I do that with Satoshi sometimes, I always have a hard time figuring out how much of my stuff will get messed with when playing against him and his asset/cards that end enhance phases. Ultimately I was able to finish the job after some defensive tricks of my own on his turn coming back at me.

During game 2 my team told me I could stop playing because they had both won their matches. Despite this we played it out and Justen drew into a god hand of multiple Satoshi finishers. My Jon Herr bite the sword and died an honorable death!

Standard – Iori off of Evil, my other deck creations run in this event by others were Bittner2 (swords) played by Kirk and Jon Herr (swords) played by Shaneth. I also had a hand in designing Leona good run by Iari and Mark LeBlanc, but that was mostly Iari (I just tweaked it)

Leading up to the day of I couldn’t decide what to play. Even worse I didn’t have a deck built to play. I had taken apart Jon Herr since I knew Shaneth was playing it and I hadn’t constructed any of my Garett Brett versions. I didn’t get home from the events of the night until late, like 100am and I stayed up till 4am trying to build versions of Garett Brett. I had deckbuilding block and went to bed with nothing done but some ideas. I shortly decided after my head hit the pillow to say ‘to hell with it’ and run my favorite version of myself, a Death version which plays a lot of 1-ofs and kills in like 8 different ways. It also sides into Kazuya and Ben Shoemaker for fun. I woke up at 6am and built myself off Death and Bittner2 swords because Kirk wanted me to. We had time to play a few practice games with Bittner2 swords vs. Iori and Kirk decided he was in love with ‘Bittner swords’. Even if Bittner wanted to play and use it Kirk was pretty much deadest on taking it from him. This left me with myself and Iori open. My team coerced me into playing Iori and that felt fine to me since I didn’t want to play as myself the first event I was legal, it just didn’t feel right to do that.

In any case, I knew I was destined to lose in some oddball style because me and the Evil symbol are cursed. I hate it and it hates me.

Round 1 – vs. PTC winner bye - result win, record after 1-0-0

I beat the bye so bad that I had time to go get some pretzels and steel myself for some UFS on 1-2 hours of sleep.

Round 2 – vs. Ben Shoemaker playing off Air – result win, record after 2-0-0

I was pretty much determined to prove to myself that I could best Ben and even after he won the die roll and went first I like to think I did prove that. This was a slightly different take on Ben off the Air symbol than it was the day before, it was more offensive. After barely surviving some nasty Ben aggression, him just not finding the last attack to kill me, I drew into enough to beat him on turn 3.
I went for my sideboard to add in my discard hate, which was really just 2 Sweet Nothings… He came back with Tim Keefe. Going first again he got a decent build. I got a bit behind but again was able to stabilize against his turn 2 attempts. This time on my turn 2 I decided it was time to go and I just barely killed him.

Thank you for the great games this weekend Ben! We split them, and I look forward to breaking the tie against Shoemaker next time we meet. Your character does a great job of putting the game onto the edge and I really enjoyed it.

Round 3 – vs. Thomas Ra playing King off of Earth – result win, record after 3-0-0

I’m not quite sure what they say about me in Atlanta but this kid was scared sh1tless! First he starts to insist he is gonna Ballistic snap me to death, then he tells me he knows exactly how to beat me. Says he doesn’t attack unless he can kill me or I am below 5 vitality. He outbuilt me too since he won the die roll and went first. He didn’t attack me once in game 1, across 4 turns, and he was King with a free form to attack. I swung into him with a ton of stuff and killed him after poking and seeing his hand, a bunch of Winners Never Quite – surprise surprise! Game 2 he changed his opinion on how to beat me and attacked me turn 2. That is, of course, the time he was wrong to do so and I got myself into desperation on my turn 2 and killed him. Despite his tentative play I think Mr. Ra is a top notch player, very calculating and thoughtful and it was a joy to meet and play against him. Perhaps next time he will be ready to beat me with the knowledge that he can!

Round 4 – vs. Scott (Magnus) playing Astrid off of All – result tie, record after 3-0-1

Well this is where my day went to sh1t. Scott is a rising star of UFS and in my opinion one of the top 5 players playing at the moment. I knew I had to play perfectly to beat him. He won the die roll, which he announced was the only thing that would determine which of us would win, and he went first, building like a bat out of hell and drawing a ton of cards. I poked turn 2 and successfully did a little damage getting him down to 20 whilst gaining a momentum. That was all I needed really, and to survive his turn 3. I blocked what I needed to and did the 20 necessary to steal game 1.

Game 2 he played a lot more aggressively, but I still poked turn 2 and did some damage and gained momentum, this time leaving him at 23 vitality. He attacked heavy and brought me down to 4 vitality. There was only 3 minutes left on the timer when I went to start to take my turn, and I was second player, I started to do some maths and realized I couldn’t kill him. Scott and I were rooming together, and I kind of wanted us to ID anyways because of that. However, I forgot about Diversity. Well, actually I figured I could take a tie because both of the other Iori’s already had 1 loss each and I didn’t have the confidence that either of them would win-out from there anyways. And, even if they did, I could win out as well. Because of this I did what I thought was best for Scott and I, didn’t stall (attempt to kill and fail just as time was called, being second turn player winning it), and I killed myself, enhancing with Iori to nobly die a Yoshimitsu-style death!

Needless to say, this decision came back to bite me in the ass hard. The Ioris faced each other next, meaning one would definitely win. And if that same one won again I would have to win out as well…

Round 5 – vs. Don playing Mr. Karate off of Death – result, win, record after 4-0-1

This is the worst matchup possible for Iori. He cannot get hit even once by Mr. Karate who gives his attacks the good old plus 6 damages because if he does he cannot use his vitality loss abilities to pump his damage high enough to do 38 to him. I literally had to make perfect decisions all game long, and when I say that I mean with respect to what I play and keep as blocks. It was a guessing game and luckily, this time (see vs. Shoemaker), I guessed right and repeatedly. I took game one in crazy fashion, attacking across multiple turns. Game 2 he went first and I was in for the hurt early but I managed to get out a guitar again which helped a lot as something to use after his damage pump for attacks I didn’t have complete blocks for. As stated earlier, I wasn’t packing discard hate, so this was an additional problem, given he was Death discard. I really don’t know how I won, but I survived his best assault when time was called and I was given ‘second player’ final turn. I started attacking to try to actually beat him twice then realized he had the reversals on him and just called it with him at 10 vitality and me with a few attacks left in hand. I’m not a wuss, you try playing against Mr. Karate with a 7hs who uses his vitality to get damages!!!

Round 6 – vs. Jeremy Ray playing Skullman off of Good – result, tie, record after 4-0-2

This was a horrible twist of fate. Jeremy and I, two good friends, peers, and sometimes equals when it comes to this great game face to face at table 1 in the final round of Swiss with both of us needing something specific to seal top cuts births (not be diversified). I needed a win, and Jeremy just needed a tie, we both figured that much out quickly. We also knew Childress’ Iori was playing against a deck of mine, or at least one I had some influence in design process of, Iari’s good Leona. I knew iari could win it, but I didn’t really think it was a good matchup for him. Ryan Field was playing as the Skullman and he needed to win and needed Jeremy to lose for him to get into top 8. He was playing Scott (Magnus’) Astrid. I wasn’t too worried really, I knew if I was fated to get into top 8 things would play out that way, all I could do was play my best.

Unfortunately, things were not meant to be. My game 1 was insane, I had to mulligan a 6 attack opening hand that included 2 Divine Tribs. Then, after building decent turn 1, and Jeremy leaving himself open to attacks (no cards in hand), I drew into ZERO attacks turn 2. I had never drew a hand with Iori and not come up with a single attack, but here it was. I don’t give up easy and told myself I could do it. And slowly but surely I did get back into the game. I put together one big attack turn with 1 Divine Tribulation that I finally found near the bottom of my deck, checked the 3rd one on turn 2. I couldn’t finish him, and he drew into enough attacks to come back and finish me.

I knew I could beat his Skullman quite easily though, and all that I needed for that to happen was me drawing into 2-3 turn 2 attacks after going first. Game 2 I didn’t just draw into 2-3 turn 2 attacks, I drew 7 orange cards, all of my hand was attacks and I blew up Skullman, not even having to play a 3rd Trib that I could have multiple’d. Unfortunately though, time was up. I had found out Leona failed me, what’s new (she hates me too), and shook hands with Jeremy. I told him he had to win it all this year, and I knew he could do it. I hope my faith in him helped him play his best in top cuts, but I know his faith in himself would have been enough anyways!

There you have it, after telling everyone how great diversity is I was diversified again, this time with a 4-0-2 record by a 5-1-0 record. I was really mad, and it took me a little while to realize that who I was really mad with was myself. At first I blamed Brett for his behavior while I was playing round 4 against Scott, insinuating that I was slow playing which I tried to attribute to my decision to ID with Scott. This wasn’t the case though, although I was somewhat put off by Brett asking us to speed up when neither of us felt the other was playing slowly, that had nothing to do with my decision to hand Scott the draw. Besides, it is the judge’s job to govern speed of play. I think I was just ‘not used’ to any judge anywhere at my UFS table and having one beside me all weekend long at top tables was a bit unnerving at times but also really good at others. Not to mention having someone typing away and playing against Scott (Magnus), he talks the game like the best of them, had me out of my comfort zone.

I was just trying to find a scapegoat for my own decision that turned out to be a bad one. I apologized to Brett the day after, but I’d completely understand if he is still mad at me, after all I’m still upset with myself for behaving like that. The no-sleep, diversified, Garett monster came out! Beware!

Well that is the end of the details of my play this weekend. I had a great time; I think I finished 2nd in legacy and 9th in Standard (post diversity) and teams. I’m pretty a-ok with that, probably better that I finished like that than lose in top cuts to one of my own decks again, i.e. Shaneth playing my Herr deck which would have probably done it!

I’m super happy with the players that won this year; Kevin on his own cardboard will be great. Similarly, it goes without saying, besides me and my teammates, there was not a single person I’d rather have taken the whole thing down over Jeremy Ray.

I want to give some shoutouts, but I’m sure I will forget someone. So, if I edit the shoutouts after I first post this don’t be surprised!!!

- First and foremost shoutouts to Tag and Brett and the rest of the judging team (Sean too!), starting close to on time was marvelous, even if it did cut into my pretzel eating time. I loved getting to meet you Tag, you do such a great job with rules-stuffs on and off the forums and I can’t wait to see you again.

- Thank you to my teammates Kirk and AJ for some great fun and the best support both before, during, and after games were played. I couldn’t ask for better. We need to get AJ onto a character card soon, and Kirk I think you have enough help to start playing yourself now that Zealot Rush is out.

- Thank you to UFS House for hanging with me and my tag alongs this year. Mark (beer hat guy) had the time of his life going out and aboot with you guys along the weekend. Also, hi and nice seeing you again Eric! Jester!!!

- Thank you to the players that played my deck creations and for putting up with me stealing some of your glory. I’m not trying to do that specifically, I just like to play the ‘game beyond the game’ and that involves being a help to the community when they need me, whether it be for cards, deck advice, or whatever. It also gives me something to aim for as a consolation when I inevitably know I will lose at the final table the majority of the times I get there, lol

- Thank you to Scott (Magnus) for some of the best games I’ve had the joy to play. Legacy was a blast because of you, and our standard match was a close second to it. Really glad you could stay with us this weekend and I look forward to seeing you, Dillon, and more from your group in the future.

- Thank you to everyone that I love to hang out with but didn’t team or stay with me, you know who you are, but lets list the ones I can remember top of mind – Iari, Marcus, Chris/Nicky, Talon, Danny, etc. from the West Coast – Jeremy, Olexa, Birch, Slam, Keith, Mr. Horth, hell everyone from Michigan – Sean, Kevin, Giggles, Keefe, Ryan F, hell everyone from Rochester/Newark/Whatever is up there – All of Atlanta, including Syclic and Kros which I didn’t see playing much UFS this year

- Thank you for being as good at the game as you are to the following – All of Atlanta but in particular Keenan, Piglet, and Ben this year. Sadly I didn’t get to test my mettle on Dave Wagoner in Legacy!

- Thank you to all of the Jasco staff for all of their hard work on the game, growing it, managing it, etc. Didn’t get to hang out near the Jasco booth as much as I’d liked to have, but that is how it is at these things.

- Thank you to the Winnipeg players, Danny Fung, and Don for helping us compete hard for Canada. Danny you are looking great! That upcoming hot dog challenge might kill you at this rate!!! It was really nice to see Julio, my mortal enemy, again and I can’t wait to see you guys playing more UFS in the future. Let me know if you need any tech talk or whatever going forward.

- Nice to see Anthony again, you wanted help with a deck, hit me up!

- Hypeman, for being hype.

- Jeremy for winning and being such a great guy!

- Tim Keefe for being Tim Keefe.

- Ryan Craft for repping my character so well this weekend and his fellow South Carolinin for diversifying my ass and beating me with a Piercing Howl deck in teams. You know what you did, this is war and I won’t forget it!

- Joe Hammer and his group of players, I always love seeing you guys.

- Okay, pretty much everyone but especially Olexa because seeing him makes me smile.

- Shaneth and Hughes and Tapout and everything about them playing again. Thank you for playing my version of Herr to the extreme!

- Kevin for asking my deck to check 2s and 1s and getting his wish. Also for playing my deck so well, you did great.

- Scott Gaines for being a boss at Legacy but somehow losing in a mirror and being diversified. Don’t worry, only the best players get diversified. We will play one day in Legacy, and we will experience pandemonium.

- Paul Taylor, Simon, and crew for helping out again. UFS tournaments wouldn’t be UFS tournaments without you – same goes for art prints ^^

- My own playgroup for the lends

- Garrison and congrats on his marriage

- Nick Markey for being amazing fun and taking in my player to be on his team with Iari.

- There MUST BE MORE

The only negative I want to call out is Gummy bears with vodka and not enough Cheesecake, no further explanation is needed. Thank god I got diversified, cuz I probably wouldn’t have made it Sunday morning anyways!!! (blames Jon Herr)

- dut

HypeMan!
08-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Just lucky Montanada didn't get annexed. Until next time you cardboard monster.

The only negative I want to call out is Gummy bears with vodka

I heard the legend of this monstrosity and shoveling it down bare handedly.

SLAM!
08-21-2013, 07:45 AM
There were 6 rounds of swiss Legacy, I lost to you, lol

RockStar
08-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Fun-times, man! It's always great seeing you, Garret! And, let's face it: You are perhaps the single most generous player in all of UFS! Not only do you freely give your expert advice in making any deck BETTER, but you also put your money where your mouth is when it comes to getting as many players to this event as possible:

I surely would NOT have been able to attend if not for your generosity! So, thank you, Dude-Man! A million times over, thank you!!

Iari <3 Garett (no-homo)!

dutpotd
08-21-2013, 09:24 AM
There were 6 rounds of swiss Legacy, I lost to you, lol

Oh yeah. I try to forget about Zangief games because, well, I hate them lol. Also, you told me the next time we faced you'd beat me, so I'm leaving out all of the ones where you lose... You may never face me again!

Imma edit you in there, was it round 4 or 5?

dutpotd
08-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Iari <3 Garett (no-homo)!

Thanks Iari, and for your kind words.

Congrats to you on doing quite well in singles this year, final round out of top 8ing. I think I've helped a lot with decks but I think it is time I start teaching players how to play better as well because in my recent observations (not you, just some of my opponents this weekend) the player has the deck they need but doesn't have the confidence in themselves and their decision making to win with it when they really need to.

Hopefully I can get my octagon/Skype working and I can get some talk-teach in with others outside of my immediate area leading up to next seasons big events.

dutpotd
08-21-2013, 09:38 AM
I heard the legend of this monstrosity and shoveling it down bare handedly.

I think I won this challenge at least, soooo muccch.... sugar.... yeah, sugar.

HypeMan!
08-21-2013, 09:45 AM
I think I won this challenge at least, soooo muccch.... sugar.... yeah, sugar.

Just remember, every year we must have more sugar... to stay up all night and stuff...

Shaneth
08-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Very good report, Garett :)

- Shaneth and Hughes and Tapout and everything about them playing again. Thank you for playing my version of Herr to the extreme!
I'd play anything you design to win :)

- Thank you to the players that played my deck creations and for putting up with me stealing some of your glory.
You can have as much glory as you want lol the mastermind behind the concoction deserves as much respect as possible, but it takes a great pilot to further its attractiveness. Thus said, if you were to design a bunch of decks each having a super strong chance of winning a high caliber tournament, you know who to give one to :cool:

dutpotd
08-21-2013, 11:33 AM
but it takes a great pilot to further its attractiveness. Thus said, if you were to design a bunch of decks each having a super strong chance of winning a high caliber tournament, you know who to give one to :cool:

I'm not going to lie to you, Herr is very difficult to play well, especially in an environment with a lot of aggressive character/deck options. I don't think I could have had a better pilot playing it so, yeah, don't be surprised if you find yourself playing another Garett-creation down the road :)

That said (teams included), Kevin (Waffle) has won 2 out of 3 cards when piloting my decks, Paul Bittner is 1 for 2, Kirk Polka is 2 for 6, and you are 0 for 2(but very very close). Hmm, there appears to be a 'pilot' side competition going on here. I'm going to have to keep track lol.

SLAM!
08-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Oh yeah. I try to forget about Zangief games because, well, I hate them lol. Also, you told me the next time we faced you'd beat me, so I'm leaving out all of the ones where you lose... You may never face me again!

Imma edit you in there, was it round 4 or 5?

Round 5, I don't remember much, but you got me into a weird spot where I couldn't contemplate and I caught an early Darkness Blade.

dutpotd
08-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Round 5, I don't remember much, but you got me into a weird spot where I couldn't contemplate and I caught an early Darkness Blade.

Yeah thanks. I remember the games clear as day, I won game 1, you couldn't mill me game 2. I will update my post with the nitty gritty.

Shaneth
08-21-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm not going to lie to you, Herr is very difficult to play well, especially in an environment with a lot of aggressive character/deck options. I don't think I could have had a better pilot playing it so, yeah, don't be surprised if you find yourself playing another Garett-creation down the road :)

That said (teams included), Kevin (Waffle) has won 2 out of 3 cards when piloting my decks, Paul Bittner is 1 for 2, Kirk Polka is 2 for 6, and you are 0 for 2(but very very close). Hmm, there appears to be a 'pilot' side competition going on here. I'm going to have to keep track lol.

I think making top cuts with a Garett-creation should be a Gold trophy while getting 1st with one should be the Platinum trophy :)
That is less negative-sounding than 0 for 2 :mad:
So I have 2x Gold Trophy with Garett dex :cool: and no platinums.......... yet... ;)

Just keep me posted lol. Hughsie and I may go to Vegas, as long as Jason releases the dates early enough for flights to be cheap. Hughsie has a friend in Vegas who says he will give us shelter for the weekend, so that's why we can make it happen. His friend is also very good at card games (ranked #1 in Raw Deal for the first few years), so maybe we can teach him UFS and snag another contender!

Nfxon
08-21-2013, 02:23 PM
All the hearts! But seriously, in singles if I drew one more attack out of the 5-7 extra I was drawing those turns and we go to game three :D
Thems the breaks though. Always good to see and play against you.

We'll have to break that tie, but only if you play yourself!!!!!!!! /gauntlet

dutpotd
08-21-2013, 02:27 PM
We'll have to break that tie, but only if you play yourself!!!!!!!! /gauntlet

Don't worry, there will be Garett playing as Garett coming up sometime soon - the world just wasn't ready for it this weekend :)

babelfish666
08-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Hey Garett, could you please post your Legacy Seong Mi-Na build asap as i'm extremely interested to see it lol

failed2k
08-21-2013, 03:41 PM
<3<3 Thank you for the kind words and thank you for another excellent report.

Tho I'm extremely familiar with the iori vs skullman matchup, and I don't think it is nearly as lopsided as you paint it to be, I'm only scared of that matchup going second(iori probably wins 70% of the time), going first I find the matchup to be pretty easy actually(probably winning a equal 70% of the time), I have piles of mainboard tools for that deck once I have two builds and draws out of my deck. Remember, I never got to go first in our pairing, it would be interesting to see how that match would of played out if I did.

Also that is a huge reason why I hate the current tournament structure favoring the player who wins the dice roll, they get an excellent attempt to salvage a draw by getting to go first in both game 1 and game 2, and if either player is playing a slower styled deck, getting to game 3 is not assured.

I personally think that seeing who goes first should go

Dice roll, winner goes first game 1, loser goes first game 2 and then a second dice roll to determine who goes first game 3. That way the loser of the first dice roll has a equal number of chances to go first in the series, instead of no MATTER what happens game 1, the winner of the first roll always gets to go first twice in a beneficial situation.

dutpotd
08-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Dice roll, winner goes first game 1, loser goes first game 2 and then a second dice roll to determine who goes first game 3. That way the loser of the first dice roll has a equal number of chances to go first in the series, instead of no MATTER what happens game 1, the winner of the first roll always gets to go first twice in a beneficial situation.

I really like that second dice roll idea.

I also really agree you win 70% of the time going first in that matchup, which is what it turned into when I didn't draw a single attack turn 2 lol. In any case, they were good games.

I've designed my character to have an 'okay' matchup going second. Your observation is largely why I dedicate 4 cards in Legacy to Antisocial no matter what.

Do you think it is time we look into changing the way going first works? I'd be honored if that discussion was born from a tourney report thread of mine!

failed2k
08-21-2013, 04:08 PM
I really like that second dice roll idea.

I also really agree you win 70% of the time going first in that matchup, which is what it turned into when I didn't draw a single attack turn 2 lol. In any case, they were good games.

I've designed my character to have an 'okay' matchup going second. Your observation is largely why I dedicate 4 cards in Legacy to Antisocial no matter what.

Do you think it is time we look into changing the way going first works? I'd be honored if that discussion was born from a tourney report thread of mine!

I'd love for it to be looked at some point seriously, it is kind of the not often mentioned blemish in the competitive play ufs, going first is such a significant edge, throughout the rounds I struggled through a TON of difficult game 1's. I lost the going first diceroll every swiss round but 1(I think I went first against Fields in the skullman mirror) in top cuts I fared better(going first in top 8 and the finals) but in the top cuts the diceroll is a bit less relevant because there is no longer the risk of losing game 3 to the void.

Changing the way going first is determined during the rounds tho, could be a good conversation to be had.

ramongoroth
08-21-2013, 04:57 PM
I really like that idea for another die roll for game 3.

Shaneth
08-21-2013, 06:20 PM
I don't, because it sounds like that change will do nothing.
If games are already determined by a coin flip, then why are we trying to stress that even more in game 3?

I hope you get what I'm trying to say. If coin flips are the problem, then we shouldn't be adding another coin flip to each match.

I think a mechanic change to the first turn would be far more beneficial.

Actually, I don't even think coinflips are a problem. Why am I 2-0'ing everyone then?

dutpotd
08-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Actually, I don't even think coinflips are a problem. Why am I 2-0'ing everyone then?

They aren't necessarily a problem, they are just very important in certain matchups. Often, this is more prominent with 6 and 5hs characters because if they go second they build, and have very few cards left to face their opponent's turn 2.

We aren't trying to stress anything in game 3. What we are discussing is the fact that winning the toss helps you get wins and steal draws, possibly unfairly given the match time limits of Swiss.

You could even have it that the winner of the first toss gets to decide who goes first game 1 and game 3, but that there is a mandatory different player going first in game 2. i.e. a 2nd toss is not as important as what Jeremy is talking about re: the player who goes 1st in game 1 should not also go 1st in game 2 because it leads to inferior decks having a much higher chance of drawing assuming they benefit from going first.

Shaneth
08-21-2013, 07:19 PM
re: the player who goes 1st in game 1 should not also go 1st in game 2 because it leads to inferior decks having a much higher chance of drawing assuming they benefit from going first.

Yes this is quite obvious.

What seems to be the case is/are the mechanics of UFS. Going first and getting those foundations out a step before your opponent is what makes coinflips matter right now. So how do we change the mechanics in a way where those foundations don't matter, without impacting deckbuilding? Or do we have to change the rules so much that it does indeed impact deckbuilding?
Having the first player add foundations committed could slow down some abilities, but will not impact the first turn player from having those extra resources to pop off other cards on their second turn.

Maybe this should develop into a thread of its own :D

dutpotd
08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Yes this is quite obvious.

I thought Jeremy's answer of 'winner of die roll chooses to go first or second in game one and then the opposite occurs in game two' was a pretty good answer to the obvious problem. Did you have a problem with that? Excusing a second die roll re: game 3?

Is Jeremy for or against 1 dice roll, winner chooses who goes first in game 1 and 3, loser does the opposite in game 2?

I don't care if we dirty my thread... this time...

failed2k
08-21-2013, 08:41 PM
I thought Jeremy's answer of 'winner of die roll chooses to go first or second in game one and then the opposite occurs in game two' was a pretty good answer to the obvious problem. Did you have a problem with that? Excusing a second die roll re: game 3?

Is Jeremy for or against 1 dice roll, winner chooses who goes first in game 1 and 3, loser does the opposite in game 2?

I don't care if we dirty my thread... this time...

That would probably be fine too, that means if you steal game 1 away from the roll winner, you have a WELL deserved advantage going into game 2 that you earned by winning the super important game 1 at a severe disadvantage.

Shaneth
08-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Oops I read it wrong lol
I need to regen my forum senses.

dutpotd
08-21-2013, 09:33 PM
That would probably be fine too, that means if you steal game 1 away from the roll winner, you have a WELL deserved advantage going into game 2 that you earned by winning the super important game 1 at a severe disadvantage.

Yeah. This is what I see/think too. Really good suggestion. We shall talk moar!!!

Ken_Masters
08-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Great report man! I really like the part where I checked all those 5s. ;) Good times.

dutpotd
08-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Great report man! I really like the part where I checked all those 5s. ;) Good times.

Think of it this way, your Jin deck in that instance roasted the 2nd place deck (singles). i.e. You were playing some amazing decks in both events this year, capable of some insane results.

Even losing turn 2s/3? to you with my beloved All deck I had a great time, a perfect example of tense/fun/even matches not needing to be super long.

Pandasauce
08-31-2013, 03:53 PM
Excellent reports as usual. Thanks for the great games and the warm welcome into UFS after such a long break. Maybe next time I can scrounge up more cards so my deck isnt so janky haha. Those 2 checks hurt me bad =[