PDA

View Full Version : Why did you like UFS?

SuperMetalerox
11-12-2013, 10:20 PM
I personally like UFS because its a CCG that features franchises that I play like Street Fighter, The King of Fighters, Darkstalkers, Samurai Showdown. Also the art style is nice but cool be better. Other franchises that I would like to see are Metal Slug, Rival Schools or general SNK & Capcom characters. A Mortal Kombat licensed could be cool too.

HypeMan!
11-13-2013, 02:10 AM
I like the mechanics a lot. Blocking, enhances, control checks, and the unique character interactions. Also a big fan of the art, the card coloring and design makes it super easy to demo to people and explain card roles and understand what's in your hand at a glance.

SuperMetalerox
11-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Great!!! I havent had the chance to try out the mechanics of the game since I am just getting started, but they seem fun and unlike anything else I have seem before. Now I am just reading about how to play the game and understanding the cards.

Tader_Salad
11-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Having come from a Magic:TG background I remember back in the day (2005) walking over to a table to see my scout and his girlfriend in the middle of a game. I remember thinking wow...so every "land" has abilities and you guys have a million of them in play - must be hard to keep track of. Then they told me you could play as Chun-li and my boi Ryu. The rest is history.

dutpotd
11-13-2013, 12:02 PM
There are a lot of things that keeps me interested in UFS:

1. The people/players/community.

2. The depth/mechanics/deckbuilding.

3. The licenses/fighting-games, etc. - certainly is what first drew me to it.

btw, this isn't an 'off-topic' post, just for future reference you can put this in general discussion :)

Birch
11-13-2013, 12:16 PM
The best prize in gaming definitely keeps your heart in it for the long haul. Especially if you have a really competitive nature. Being able to embody yourself into the game and see yourself on cards being played by people around the world that you dont even know is pretty awesome. That may not have gotten me into the game, but when I figured out that was the prize I was in it to win it. Ive won it and nothing feels better i assure you. :D

Baranor
11-13-2013, 12:50 PM
I love playing games, and when my friend showed it to me, I was very happy with the full hand recycle each turn and the fact that you couldn't get "mana screwed". Oddly enough I really couldn't care less about the fighting game theme. It was a fun side thing, but the game itself pulled me in.

Alcibiates
11-13-2013, 08:25 PM
My biggest reason for liking UFS actually comes from a bit of a dark place... UFS is exceptionally hard to cheat at. In a competitive setting, unless you allow your opponent to uncommit committed cards (not sure how they would even pull this off), you never allow them to do anything to the top of their deck unless they are drawing or making a control check, and you ensure there aren't people behind you watching the game there is little that can be done to cheat in a meaningful way. The competitive magic community is plagued by people who cheat, cheat well, and cheat often. As a game, magic lends itself to modes of cheating that are easy to execute and create meaningful change (drawing an extra card, playing an extra land, etc.). Yugioh and pokemon share these problems as well because there are so few cards that move each turn. In UFS, drawing an extra card or manipulating a single control check is hardly enough to win a game--you would have to repetitiously cheat to create a significant effect in the match.

RockStar
11-15-2013, 09:23 AM
A couple reasons, actually:

1) I get to play my favorite characters from different fighting game titles AND I get to design their Kung Fu!!!! How cool is that! Anyone who grew up on Shaw Brothers or Kung Fu Theatre, like I did, loves the whole sitting across from an opponent to see who's Kung Fu is stronger set-up!!

2) Coolest Prize In Gaming... I get to BECOME a character that 'interacts' with Ryu or Terry Bogard or (insert any UFS Character here)... yeah! 'Nuff said!!

3) Last but not least, it has to be the entire UFS Community! And, this isn't something that I've fully appreciated until I started traveling to Regional and Major events, but UFS definitely has a kick @$$ player base! And hearing it from other players who play other ccgs, UFS has the most friendly player base. Like, ever! I can only agree with this sentiment.

SuperMetalerox
11-15-2013, 09:47 AM
After reading all your great comments, I am glad to be in here, and hopefully become part of this wonderful community.

DalaiLama
11-15-2013, 11:28 AM
First one for me is playing different characters with lots of different effects and way of doing things.
And second one, drawing a lot of card per turn. I hate games with one card draw ever turn, that's so boring.

Vanguard
11-19-2013, 01:36 AM
I started playing UFS because of the Soulcalibur 3 license.

Then I continued to buy cards because of Cassandra and Sophitia, mainly.

Then I played Legacy (almost on my own) for a long time because old booster boxes were cheap as dirt, and so many commons and uncommons were playable and had interesting effects.

Then I started playing Standard when FFG's "miniblock" format (Tower of Souls + Shadowar) became Standard format. Not a lot of cards to buy... but alas, not a great deal of variety either !

Then I continued to play because the mechanics were great, and several friends started playing seriously.

Then I continued to play thanks to UFS's rebirth (thanks, Jasco Games !) and the excellent Red Horizon universe.

Then I began to organize events, and became a scout, trying to delve deeper into the great mechanics of the game.

Then I raged about some bans and errata... :D

But however I look at it, I can't imagine I'll stop playing this game anytime soon !

dracomageat
11-19-2013, 03:54 AM
I like the mechanics a lot. Blocking, enhances, control checks, and the unique character interactions. Also a big fan of the art, the card coloring and design makes it super easy to demo to people and explain card roles and understand what's in your hand at a glance.

This, largely. Some starwars card game got me hooked on the "destiny draw" system and UFS took the mechanic to the next level, giving it a true TCG of its own.
From there, I found I rather enjoyed the fighting game style move chaining and the ability to do so in a high risk, no foundation fashion made it all the more exciting.
Most of all, though, it's about how in depth the deck building process becomes and how much knowing where every card is matters when control checks come into play. Love this game!