PDA

View Full Version : Empire Circuit Stage 3 - Wappinger Falls

Twin44
12-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Alright folks! It's time to get this ball rolling on the upcoming Empire Circuit stop in Wappinger Falls, NY. As long as enough people are making their appearance in this event, it will be a Teams event.

As far as Minimum/Maximum is considered, We are looking at a complete MINIMUM of six teams (18 people in total) and hold a round robin type event (which I'm told is what happened at Can Nats). More will go to swiss with a top 4 cut.

I would also like to get people's input on whether or not to run a Team event in general. So far I have gotten very mixed thoughts on the whole idea and that is another reason for this post. I want your input on whether we want to run teams or not, but I also want to know what teams are formed (no specifics, just players) up since I can get thirty votes agreeing to teams, but only have 2 showing up :P

On to the information!

When: January 25th, 2:00 PM (time is subject to change, date is pretty much set in stone)
Where: Vast Abyss
What: Empire Circuit Stage 3 - Teams
Why: Because it's awesome.

Full Address:
1177 RT 9
Wappingers Falls, NY,

Points for a top 4 will go 4-3-2-2

Entry cost: $10 per person, $30 per team

Prize support: 4 packs per entry, 12 per team.

The store opens at 1 pm. Sign ups begin immediately and the tournament begins at 2 pm (as long as everything goes as planned).

Current Empire Circuit Points:

8 points
Ryan Field (5-3)

7 points
Kevin Broberg (3-4)
Jared Bohizic (2-5)

6 points
Jack Hale (4-2)

4 points
Tim Keefe (1-3)
Sean O'Brien (2-2)

3 points
Cassy Shaw (3-0)
Christine O'Brien (2-1)

2 points
Nick Ganzer (2-0)
Jeffrey Kahn (0-2)
Matt Hughes (0-2)

1 point
(anyone who appeared at one of the two events but didn't make a top 8)

Current Teams: (I'm making up a few names...)

Rochester (3):
Team Sean, Don't...
Team (insert awesomeness here)
Team (as above)

Poughkeepsie (3):
Po-Town Throwdown
Team Still Arguing
Team Honey Badger (really Jack?)

New Jersey (1, maybe 2?):
The Black Tristars
...and another?

S_OBrien
12-27-2013, 12:17 PM
I vote for teams. Team Sean Don't... will be thete!

Ravnos
12-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Yea but your team is broken Sean

wafflecopter
12-27-2013, 02:11 PM
TEAM UNIFIED STANDARD

Teams of 3 players, no duplicate cards between decks period

GET HYPE

S_OBrien
12-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Yea but your team is broken Sean

We're not that good. We won the Canadian Wild West Shootout because we were paired far away from Voltron Kitten Force.

Twin44
12-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Are you guys going to really make me do some crazy shenanigans for the first Empire Circuit I'm hosting up at my store? I'm looking at you Kevin... -_-

And Sean, don't worry about Rich. He thinks anything that's any good is broken :P

But in one of my Facebook posts someone make a mention of taking down the names of each team so I'll take care of that this evening. I'm assuming Team Sean, don't... will be the first Rochester team to list off. We've got three formed up here for this event (one looking for a third partner. So let me know who and what teams are coming so I know whether to keep it teams or switch it up.

Thanks in advance!

Twin44
12-30-2013, 03:41 PM
Bump Up The Jams!!!!

Put in the most current teams in the Original Post. Let me know of any others coming along!

Starfleetjedi
12-31-2013, 05:39 PM
There's a second Rochester team being cobbled together, we're just figuring out who wants to go or not. Possibly a third if all 5 of us are interested, can get a 6th, and the two odd ones out can find somewhere else to stay (my place can only fit my team.)

S_OBrien
12-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Let's discuss teams this weekend.

SevenUpYours
01-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Okay so I wanna make sure of something, what sets are we considering playable? Cause I remember seeing somewhere that the second circuit stop was only allowing sets that will be legal post rotation. (Ex. Only red horizon and forwards) If this is the case I need to know now so I can let my players know cause it drastically alters our current deck builds and possible availability to attend. I'm also not sure because it really doesn't make any sense to be playing in a post rotation format when half of the available card pool for standard when rotation happens hasn't even been announced let alone released.

Twin44
01-01-2014, 07:54 PM
This is a current set event. No post-rotation, no special rules, just teams.

Any other questions/concerns please feel free to ask!

SevenUpYours
01-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Excellent, thanks for the heads up. My crew is currently kind of reliant on support from ShadoWar and the other sets so it's good to know that we still have those options available to us. With that known we should definitely be able to get a full team there for the event maybe two. Official team name as of the moment is The Black Tristars (Because we're all Gundam nerds XD)

MermaidKelly
01-04-2014, 10:15 PM
I hate to admit it, but I am disappointed that the event has been decided as a team event. I was looking forward to a first shot at playing competitively, but it looks like it's not going to happen now. I mean, this is a pretty tough spot for a new player to be in. Team with people you barely know and if you screw up they hate you, or team with people you know and risk them getting angry at you if you forget that first enhance for the second time. Fun. Also, at least in a singles tournament, everyone who wants to play can. In this format, you need to hopefully fit everyone in perfect groups of three, or some people just don't get to play. Maybe I'm just in a strange mood, but I am frustrated.

Cetonis
01-05-2014, 06:21 AM
This isn't Magic, or League of Legends. People here aren't going to rage at a new player for making mistakes. Even the best players find themselves completely punting a game from time to time. UFS is hard, and everybody knows it.

SevenUpYours
01-05-2014, 11:18 AM
I agree 110% with Cetonis. The community for this game is incredible and brilliantly helpful and understanding of the difficulty that comes with playing the game especially when you're relatively new to it. Hell I've been playing the game for a while now and I spent three weeks forgetting to use King's (KoF XIII) first form for vitality. I got a lot more upset with myself then anyone else did. In Magic people always assume that if you're at a big event then you're a god tier player, in UFS it means you came out to have a good time and shoot the :):):):) with some great people for a day. It's why the forums are still active and have a very low required moderator presence for things like punishments and warnings, it's just not a common thing. The UFS community understands that everyone is a new player at some point, and for many of us it's whenever we make a new deck or a profound change to one we built already. If you were to come out and slot yourself into a team that was short on a player, it's much more likely that if you make a mistake they'll work with you to help you if you need it then that they'll get pissy and blow up in your face like a bunch of tossers.

Zamora
01-05-2014, 01:09 PM
I just want to share an experience: My first ever event was US nats 2013, I had less than a month of experience and no cards. Not only did socal folk and magnus offered help in teaching me but also went out of their way to have a deck ready for me.

I was randomly paired up with Tim and Meta for teams, the latter of which lent me cards even though i only met him for a couple of seconds and even thought me how to play when the moon correctly.
At the end of the event I couldn't believe how nice and considerate people were.

Honestly just have fun and ask for help, you'll get much more out of the experience.

S_OBrien
01-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Plus remember, at team of 2 is always guaranteed to lose 3 games. I would rather have a new player on my team then no one at all. Plus, you will learn a lot at this event about play style and deck building. Each play group has their own play and build styles. You'll get a ton of great ideas.

MermaidKelly
01-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I agree this community seems very friendly and helpful. I have had mostly all positive experiences with UFS so far, and I hope it continues that way. I resonate with what SevenUpYours said about probably being angry at yourself for making mistakes more so than the other way around. I've been asking for help when needed, and most of the people I play with have been more than accommodating...helping explain situations and even giving me cards. I guess I just need to relax and have fun...haha!

ATLDrew
01-05-2014, 06:14 PM
I have been playing this game competitively since it was released and I must say that no matter who you team with, Teams is the best competitive format I have ever played in a TCG. I competed with a pick up team (TripSevens and BRad) at US Nats 2011 after I ended up going late and my normal teammates were already committed. The event was a lot of fun and it is always a blast to play with people from outside of your playgroup. Everyone is extremely accommodating and very friendly at these events. Please give it a shot before you stress about it. Teams is one of the toughest but mots rewarding formats to be good at and I would love more opportunities to compete in Team regionals.

Lavos
01-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Noon noon noon start at noon. Pleassssssse. Or 1230 :P Happy New Years to all!!!!! ^____^

Twin44
01-06-2014, 10:16 PM
What everyone says is very true. The first Empire Circuit event I went to was Long Island a while back when I was still a little UFSling and I got a lot of advice as I went along through the tournament. A teams event, as said before, will probably give you more experience overall then a singles tournament.

I've updated the original Post with some team name updates. I haven't heard much in terms of new/more teams involved, but it looks like most everyone is looking forward to a teams event overall. Anyone that might be looking to come and needs a teammate or two, just post up and we can all work to get something together for you!

I will look into whether or not the store owner would like to start at noon, but I would like to hear some opinions from everyone on here first about that. I know the Rochester Crew is around five hours away from this area so noon might be a little rough on their day. So let me know from all corners of the Northeast what a preferable time is.

Also, would everyone like to have names listed off next to their team names? Or does it not matter? I'm getting a little bit of both thoughts from some people so let me know on that as well.

Thanks everyone in advance!!!

S_OBrien
01-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Can we compromise with 1 PM? That will make it so we can leave at like 7 AM and have time to settle in instead of 6 AM.

MermaidKelly
01-07-2014, 04:32 PM
What everyone says is very true. The first Empire Circuit event I went to was Long Island a while back when I was still a little UFSling and I got a lot of advice as I went along through the tournament. A teams event, as said before, will probably give you more experience overall then a singles tournament.

I've updated the original Post with some team name updates. I haven't heard much in terms of new/more teams involved, but it looks like most everyone is looking forward to a teams event overall. Anyone that might be looking to come and needs a teammate or two, just post up and we can all work to get something together for you!

Good to know... "little UFSling"...love that lol. :cool:

I've posted it elsewhere, but since you mentioned it, I'll post it here too. I am one of those people that wants to come but needs a teammate or two.

SevenUpYours
01-08-2014, 12:41 AM
well there is a possible slot in our second team if we can get the cards and funds to bring more than three players up to the event if so I will definitely let you know, we should have an update by next week or so on player count. Also would it be possible for people to bring extras of like everything just incase my crew still needs to get a hold of cards the day of? I'll post a comprehensive list of what is essential once I have it but since we're a small group getting our hands on a lot of product is difficult and that's not even counting the ToV stuff we CAN'T get anywhere. [sigh]

Twin44
01-09-2014, 03:41 PM
well there is a possible slot in our second team if we can get the cards and funds to bring more than three players up to the event if so I will definitely let you know, we should have an update by next week or so on player count. Also would it be possible for people to bring extras of like everything just incase my crew still needs to get a hold of cards the day of? I'll post a comprehensive list of what is essential once I have it but since we're a small group getting our hands on a lot of product is difficult and that's not even counting the ToV stuff we CAN'T get anywhere. [sigh]

Let us know on cards you might need and the list on who is going and who's not. Some of the hyper cards might be a pain to get people to lend you (KAPLOW, Trib, etc.).

So far for extra players we have one from Poughkeepsie, and possibly 2 (?) from New Jersey. Anything on you folks from Rochester?

As for the time of the event, I've asked about the store starting the event at 1:00 PM instead. They usually open at about 2:00 so they will have to make a decision on it as they will probably have to open at about noon with this time (for prep, sign up, etc). I'll let you know as soon as I am told about it.

Anything else, please let me know! We are close to having six teams for this event which is great news with the possibility of more!

S_OBrien
01-09-2014, 04:08 PM
I have 3 teams. Plus 1 or 2 stragglers.

Twin44
01-09-2014, 04:58 PM
3 teams? That puts us to 7 if that's the case. If we get one more team together, can we just replace the lack of the Canadian Nationals asset? :P

SevenUpYours
01-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Okay so here's the card list of things that my group will need for next week...

Strange Fashion x6
Paid to protect x3
Flirtatious x3
Benimaru x1
Neo freeze execution x1
Hyper chain drive x3
ignite x1
give me your best shot x4
Death valley face plant x4
reverse shoulder launch x3
spinning necro driver x4
weight of memory x4
no sympathy x4
astute observor x3
lunar catapult x3
terry's cap x2
coltestri fortress x2
Etoile - Filante x4 (This might not be necessary but if possible it would be helpful)
Himoukyaku - Go x2-3 (same as above)

we might have some of the gabrek foundations like no sympathy but other then that I don't think we have anything. If you guys could let me know before hand what someone might be able to let us use for the day or maybe trade for if we have something you need then that would be excellent. ALSO we do have a second team attending that is a player short for sure so if anyone needs to be slotted into a team then we have a space open!! Also if we could have a definite confirmation of start time than I would greatly appreciate it since we have an hour+ drive and need to know when to leave so that we can be there on time. our second team doesn't yet have a name so it'll probably end up being something generic I think.

OH!! And how many people attending are close to NJ? Cause I got permission from the owner of my local to put the suggestion of adding a stop for the next circuit at our store if we can get enough players willing to attend!

Twin44
01-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Updated the main thread with the wanted information. Store Opening at 1 PM. Sorry it took so long, but the store owners also have separate jobs so it was hard to put things too far ahead as far as time was concerned. I also updated with the prize support for the event.

And SevenUpYours, has anyone gotten in touch with you on the cards you might need? A few are pretty tall orders, but a few the store has in stock if need be. Mainly KoF block and not so much from anything previous and I've also got a few things up for trade on that list as far as spares are concerned.

As for adding the additional empire circuit, I believe that's up to the Gentlemen/women in Rochester. Shoot them a message and you can see what's what.

S_OBrien
01-22-2014, 06:25 PM
You can also look at the online stores like:
www.rochesterccg.com
www.coolstuffinc.com

SevenUpYours
01-22-2014, 08:24 PM
I was able to get a hold of Cetonis and he has a good deal of the cards that we need including being able to lend me some of the RoT and KoF power cards that we need (Mainly the Terry's cap, H.C.D and N.F.E) the only three things that he wasn't able to find for me were the Astute Observors, the Strange fashions, and the Etoile-Filante (although the later is not necessarily essential if no one needs to run the deck they're in). We're also short one copie or Lunar Catapult and Spinning Necro Driver each. if we can get these and at the very least 2 copies of strange fashion and the Astute observors than we'll be all set for our already decided upon decks.

Sean I checked the sites and while there are copies of a good deal of the cards we're short the funds and time to order them before the event or it would have been a more viable option for us. Honestly we should have checked sooner for some of the cards but we were more focused on making sure our builds worked at the time which cost us the requisite time frame.

S_OBrien
01-23-2014, 06:03 AM
also, I have a third for your second team. her name is Cassy and she made top cuts at nationals last year.

Meta1
01-23-2014, 08:05 AM
I can loan the Strange Fashions, Astute Observers, and the C/UCs you need if no one on my team is going to need them. (Which I think might be true)

SevenUpYours
01-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Sean that would be great, our second team is relatively new to the game only been big into it for about four month so having a more experienced member of their team would be a great help for them. Meta thank you so much! The Strange Fashions and Astute Observers were going to be the hardest for us to find i thought so if you're able to lend them to us for the day that's incredibly helpful! We're going to try and be there around noon so that we have time to get ourselves settled before hand and give us some extra time in case of traffic so we'll be around. If Any of you would like to contact me more directly on the day my skype ID is listed on my profile and I get all my skype messages on my phone I'll make sure to have it on just let me know who it is when you go to add me so I don't randomly ignore it. I get a good deal of spam adds.

Twin44
01-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Great! So we have 8 teams for the event and it looks like everyone has what they will need.
Keep in mind that the store is opening at 1 PM. If you do manage to get there early, there are quite a few restaurants and whatnot down the road to pass the time until the store opens.
I'll see you all tomorrow and wish you all the best of luck in your travels and in the tournament!

MermaidKelly
01-26-2014, 06:01 PM
I enjoyed the event very much, and am looking forward to more events like this in the future! I loved meeting everybody from the different areas, and it was exciting for me to have my first chance in a large tournament. Although I am one of the newer players, I'm proud to say I won over half my games! Overall it was a great experience... I can't wait till we do something like this again. I wish so badly I could go to Vegas to partake in all that fun, but maybe there's next year.