Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite video game series?

Favorite video game series?

Just curious about something. What are you guys' favorite video game series?

Aside from fighting games (which I've never been stellar at but enjoy nonetheless), I'm a huge fan of the Silent Hill series. Granted the last couple games have been pretty mediocre, but when the series was firing on all cyclinders (2 and 3 basically), the series was great. The atmoshphere and horror were top notch. Fallout is a personal favorite too, just fr sheer expansiveness. I love that feeling of exploration and not being sure what is around the next corner.

I like RPGs and action games, myself. Only experience I've had with Silent Hill is with a demo of 4 and I never really got into Fallout. My tastes tend to lean more towards the niche stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TenshiWingMagatama View Post
    I like RPGs and action games, myself. Only experience I've had with Silent Hill is with a demo of 4 and I never really got into Fallout. My tastes tend to lean more towards the niche stuff.
    You may like Fallout if you're into RPG's. I mean it basically is an RPG in that it has most of the elements of one (expansive story, a "leveling up" system, open world, side quests, finding newer and better gear, etc...etc). But if you have only played JRPG's or the like, then yes it has a much different feel to it.

BTW Silent Hill 4 was terrible and not even really an SE game. In fact it was conceived as a totally separate title and essentially remade into a Silent Hill game by shoehorning some of the thematic elements of the series into it. It's not a good choice to judge the series by. If you can play 2 or 3 in HD do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Onslaught View Post
    You may like Fallout if you're into RPG's. I mean it basically is an RPG in that it has most of the elements of one (expansive story, a "leveling up" system, open world, side quests, finding newer and better gear, etc...etc). But if you have only played JRPG's or the like, then yes it has a much different feel to it.

BTW Silent Hill 4 was terrible and not even really an SE game. In fact it was conceived as a totally separate title and essentially remade into a Silent Hill game by shoehorning some of the thematic elements of the series into it. It's not a good choice to judge the series by. If you can play 2 or 3 in HD do so.
    It definitely appears to be vastly different compared to what I play. Always leaned more towards JRPGs since childhood exposure to Final Fantasy VII and VIII and Legend of Dragoon.

I didn't know that much about SH4. But it sounds pretty believable. Honestly, I don't really engage a whole lot in survival-horror in general so I don't know much about what's good in that genre.

There are quite a few series I like very much, but so I don't droll on too long I'll list only 5.
    1. Suikoden
    2. Shin Megami Tensei (includes Persona, traditional numbered titles and the like).
    3. Mother
    4. Yakuza
    5. Phoenix Wright

Honorable mentions to Fire Emblem, Tales, Metal Gear Solid and Tactics ogre/Ogre Battle
    Trade list
    2014 ATL King of the Hill, 2013 Official UFS Hot Dog Eating Champion.
    Cyborg killing machine from the future, Newtype, adopted son of Omar Chavez, and all around bad player who makes the impossible possible.
    I'm a Marc Wisniewski guy.
    "Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit."-Vyse

Nice! A fellow SMT fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Drewkasa View Post
    There are quite a few series I like very much, but so I don't droll on too long I'll list only 5.
    1. Suikoden
    2. Shin Megami Tensei (includes Persona, traditional numbered titles and the like).
    3. Mother
    4. Yakuza
    5. Phoenix Wright

Honorable mentions to Fire Emblem, Tales, Metal Gear Solid and Tactics ogre/Ogre Battle
    Mine is similar but not as entrenched in the Japanese day-to-day.

1. Phoenix Wright
    1a. Most any Capcom fighter - CVS2 > MVC1 > rest of em.
    2. SMT - Perona > Devil Survivor > rest of em.
    2a. Sora no kiseki
    3. Zero Escape
    4. Mother
    5. Most any quality schmup
    "No, no, not by the hair on my chinny chin Chin."

In no particular order:
    1. Fire Emblem series
    2. Final fantasy V/Bravely Default
    3. Splatoon
    4. Capcom fighters (I wish I was decent at any of them)
    5. Main Pokemon series
    ICWhatUDidThar's Trade thread: http://forums.jascogames.com/forums/...s-Trade-Thread

2015 Omaha PTC - 3rd Place (Water Vespera)
    2015 Scott's Valley PTC - 3rd Place (Water Lilith)
    2015 St. Louis PTC - 1st Place (Water Lilith)
    2016 Teams Worlds - 2nd Place (Water Lilith)
    2016 Redding PTC - 2nd Place (All Runika/Exodia)

Quote Originally Posted by dutpotd View Post
    Mine is similar but not as entrenched in the Japanese day-to-day.

1. Phoenix Wright
    1a. Most any Capcom fighter - CVS2 > MVC1 > rest of em.
    2. SMT - Perona > Devil Survivor > rest of em.
    2a. Sora no kiseki
    3. Zero Escape
    4. Mother
    5. Most any quality schmup
    Capcom versus SNK 2 is pretty much my favorite fighting game of all time.