Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blurd's Updated thoughts - it's one of my articles so expect wrestling references.

Smile Blurd's Updated thoughts - it's one of my articles so expect wrestling references.

I'll go over a few topics in one go with this, but there will be a lot of talk about wrestling due to the subject of both sections of this article just as a heads up for people who don't really care about it or something.

So first thing is first... Cossack. Might as well get him out of the way as this is something that is held to my name right now.

Dr. Cossack was a character who I vocally considered to be somewhat a weaker versions of other characters that do the same thing, however, through watching one of my good friends play as this character as he showed me his build on him, I am lead to think differently now.

I had basically made my mind up on him far too early because I was confused about so many aspects of his character.

Dr. Cossack didn't look like a "Big Dude"
    He didn't blow damage out of the water.
    He only had 31 health which is abnormally small for a 5 hander.
    And most importantly in my eyes, he didn't remind me of a wrestler I knew.

(yeah I know I'm samey-samey but I value simple things and besides, Raw Deal isn't around anymore so UFS allows me to play as characters who wrestle people in fighting games)

Anyway, back to Cossack.

Turns out Hero's training works with him so throws began to look pretty sweet as him.

He allows you to play a lot more easily when you can add blocks from your discard pile to your hand, you don't feel so scared about overextending as him because you can adapt to what zone happens to come your way as and when you need to really.

And the one thing that really slipped under my nose is the life gain, I mean yeah I knew he had Fatherly Love but if you run Haoh Raiou Ken, Templar, Kersplat it sorta compensates for the small life.

So turns out I ate my words on him and good, when I said that he was bad to people, you can indeed see that I said it would be good if someone else does good with him and likes him because at least then it may be a connection I don't have to him that someone else may have.

So everything is cool now. But I don't think I will play as him because there isn't anyone from wrestling who he reminds me of, in fact unfortuantely the only person who he reminded me of was Vince Russo

And now, Clark.

As many people know, or at least the UK guys now, I am the Goro guy, he was and has been my character choice from day one when I got my hands on him way up until where we are at now.

Me and Piglet tend to play as the same sort of characters and I think everyone has gathered that by now, but one thing that he did that I didn't was take a liking to Clark.

I've played as Clark in the past and have now come to the conclusion that it is best that I attempt to build him off the Order symbol as I think this may well be his best despite how much I love the Fire symbol.

Now I know piglet loves him because he is convinced that Clark is the 9th Mayor of Suplex City - BROCK LESNAR!

I spent yesterday drinking some cool cola whilst building Clark.
    When I turned up to my local today it felt like this -> https://youtu.be/E3IeLaoUU_Y?t=157
    I hope that doesn't come across arrogant tho.

I won all the games I played today.

I played against
    Air Man
    Jiffany Jamber
    Gutsman
    Lord Raptor
    and Leona

and maybe some others.

Here's the deck I played:

Clark (60+Character Card)

Actions: 0

Assets: 4
    Hannya x1
    Clark's Sunglasses x2
    The Ruler of Time x1

Attacks: 16
    Hyper Bomb x4
    Ultra Clark Buster x4
    Spinning Necro Driver x2
    Gatling Attack x2
    Super Argentine Backbreaker x4

Foundations: 40
    S Class Hunter x2
    The Out of Control Giant x2
    Heel Persona x4
    Childhood Sweethearts x3
    Wasted Talent x3
    Orders from Heidern x4
    Tough and Cool x4
    Getting a Ride x3
    Trained by the Streets x2
    Accomplished Grappler x3
    Land of the Makai x3
    Into the Sunset x4
    Second Chance x3

I begin to take back some of what I said about the throw-blockers.

Ultra Clark Buster just happens to fit the exact same role as Brock Lesnar's finishing move, the F5.

So for the people who are interested still in these links, this is what I think happens when it connects in UFS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN_GNrWQlGs

I would imagine that the throw blockers now exist because of this card, I never understood for a long time why they were brought in as I thought you couldn't just die off one throw in one big go but by god does Clark Buster get it there.

If you play Clark Buster, you get it up to double damage and get that enhance off, you're opponent has just lost the game if they don't have throw tech active like throw blockers, dodge as the attack is considered not to have dealt damage so then the Enhance on the card doesn't burn you or at a push Koppouken that can be committed by him.

So Throw blockers help balance an attack like this but they do hurt regular throw decks. A necessary evil I guess.

It's a first draft of the deck, so I reckon I am gonna make sure I add more low blocks in too for sure.

I am headstrong for the Next UK PTC which will be at Doncaster in March.
    I told the fellow UK guys that the next time they saw me I wouldn't play as Goro as I have sorta held him close when it came to playing competitively but as Wrestlemania is a week or so after the PTC I am more than likely going to play as Clark, I don't mind saying that even tho I'm sure someone will side deck against me now for saying so but tbh, I'm not really sweating or try-harding for this upcoming PTC, I am just looking to have a good time with some awesome friends.. and if I do well then that'd be good but it would be nice to see some other players do well who are sell themselves short.

I guess we'll have to see what goes down when it goes down really.

(the following is just talk we have and shouldn't be taken too seriously at all ever)

Oh and about Garett's undefeated UK win streak... you remember what happened to the Undertaker's Wrestlemania Streak? now 22 wins and 1 loss, oh yeah. I just called you out!

If I remember correctly you have dodged me in singles each and every time you have come over so I'm hoping the stars align and we get paired so I can give you an all expenses paid trip to SUUUUUPLEX CITY!! Same goes for you Devon!

That is if Clark is still in the format tho.

Thanks for reading, Blurd Out.
    "I've never been good with words... it's why my metacarpals have been broken on and off most my life"

2015 UK Teams Champ - Earth Goro
    1st - Doncaster PTC - All Megaman
    1st - Sheffield PTC - Fire Goro
    2nd - Colchester PTC - Fire Goro
    2nd - UK Legacy Nats - Earth (Tekken) King
    3rd - Colchester PTC - Earth Andy
    Youngest player to win cardboard - I was 17 at the time.

Will there ever be a post where you don't talk about 5 handers it is getting a bit old imo...

I do try and we both know that but it's already been said, I just can't see myself enjoying a game where I wait to die. I liked Gemeni Man 10 times over and everyone at our local as you know was very happy to see that I had found a 7 hander who I liked on the grounds that he didn't look dodgey, he had a consistent damage bonus and I kept him for quite some time.

If you don't become attatched to certain deck types or characters in a game where only 2 or so sets come out a year, chances are you are more than likely gonna get bored.
    "I've never been good with words... it's why my metacarpals have been broken on and off most my life"

But surely if you stick to same deck types how are you supposed to become a better player when you keep going to the same old characters and deck types when there is more variety now then there was a few months ago.

I would of thought that if wanted to become a better player then you play a character which has not been played that much be it in the UK or US/Canada, and from that learn to like characters play styles instead of always going back to the 5 handers be it either Goro or Clark because it makes you feel like you have something to prove by playing them.

After today, I have nothing but respect and fear for that Clark deck.

From the games we played, you seemed to have no problem dealing with Ophidiophobia by pinpointing it with Land of Makai and, as for dodge, pumping up the attack before Ultra Clark Buster to near-lethal baits them out quite effectively.

I would suggest that throw blockers aren't an evil, against an entire archetype of attack that reads "you are taking damage no matter what", utilised mostly by characters that can casually tank a 20-something damage attack with enough life to spare afterwards. It's a ray of hope in what sometimes seems like an otherwise futile battle.

...But that's just the opinion of an inexperienced player. That defaults to playing aggro. 34 Vitality is a lot of health to slog through XD

In any case, best of luck in the PTC ^_^

I'm glad you brought this up.

I have been playing as Megaman 1 dot for about 3 or so months now.

Is he new? yes
    Is he a character everyone overlooked? yes
    Does he branch out from every deck I am use to playing? of corse, he isn't a 5 hander and the deck hasn't got a throw in sight.

I branch out more than people imagine, I just talk about these types of decks because I am constantly curious to see what type of decks people enjoy, not what decks tend to be the best or else you would see me playing Felicia or Demitri or the Void Athena deck that everyone hates.

I make these posts because they don't focus so much on what people do to win, it speaks a lot for the players behind the decks, what matters to them.

If you turned up each week then spoke about and played 7 handers quite a bit, that's interesting to me because they aren't the type of characters or decks I would personally play so it's great to know why players play their pet decks and what they're capable of.

I am week in week out really interested in the fact that I have found you value playing Reversal style decks and disruption.

And even further than that, it's something to read for the people who are bored really, it's better to have someone talking a bit about some new subjects and a little bit about them every now and then because it's better than no one posting and people having nothing to read.

Does that make sense?

A Necessary evil is a term of phrase, we're saying the same thing lol

You say that you branch out more than people can imagine your signature begs to differ.

More often than not when people turn up at there local store they play as often as they do because every game will be different whether its turn 2 win or turn 2 loss, or just really memorable for a certain play or combo but when it comes to playing against 5 handers I find it difficult to take anything memorable from it as will more often that not be case of throws being a threat or a certain card which helps the 5 hander in a big way to capitalize on the 7 hand characters vitality.

Thanks for the content Blurd Visionary! Keep it up! Looking forward to more

Dan,

My signature comes across strongly, but it shows more about my love for wrestling than UFS really.

Anyway, having fun against 5 hand size characters.

You said they're predictable because they rely to throw to help them keep up and I can understand how that can be difficult when you have a small starting vitality.

I would reccomend that you play against Gutsman (who doesn't throw at all)
    Super Skull Man 33 tends to make a deck that draws cards rather than throws someone because his bottom E allows for larger attack strings.

I believe that your problem relies fully on throws, but it's one of them risks you take when you play as a 7 hand size character and I have been burnt in the exact way in the past. Now if someone throws me, they're gonna have to really work hard to grind me down because I'm on such high life I never had a problem with them.

It sounds rich coming from me but I do think that you take this subject a bit too seriously, you seem really sad or annoyed with it because I know you really like Lilith right now and throws and 5 handers are exactly what she doesn't need to deal with.

Everyone is going to come across these types of things. I don't refer to them as NPEs anymore because I began taking the steps to take it less seriously, the more I have let go of my feelings towards cards like Ever Hopeful or Roberts Flip Kick the better time I am having.

I've began to love UFS for the players again, it took me to lose at a national event in singles to understand this fully, the UFS community is there to have a good time, no one is in this game for themselves and that is a really nice statement to make about this game.

I have staging area disruption
    You have throws
    Ricky has reversals
    some people's decks are allergic to stun decks.

I will tell you this tho, if you think about it, it is important for local playgroups to have someone who represents different areas of the format in order to have a variate within the playgroup. This also allows each and every player to test against the different areas of the format before tournaments in order to prepare people and make sure they have a good understanding on what their good and bad matchups are, and if they have a particular bad match up, how they can learn to counter it as best they can.

funnily enough, if you need to play against anyone, it's probably me to fix this, then you won't get heated about throws and you won't get heated about 5 handers.

Myself and Peter play control
    Ricky and Matt play Aggro
    Nathan and Oliver play 'the cool stuff'
    Jon and little Dan play reversals and control
    Jack actually branches out in my eyes, I'd put him in the aggro section... but that Hsien Ko deck tho.

If I have forgotten someone I'm sorry or I can't work out what they do because they change things up and I can't see a pattern.

To summarize, Ricky taught me not to be vocal or calm it down if I found something that challenged me as a player, I'm close to Ricky of course because he's my brother.. and for a while I was the only one who knew he had this real problem with Nivose, but I found this out through being his team mate funnily enough.

If I can keep my cool about the throw blockers and I have began to see both sides of the story with throw blockers then I reckon (you don't have to) but you could chill about throws and 5 handers.
    Because I don't want things to be so tense between us because of what we play, I come up to the local to see you and the guys, I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

I do realize that I talk about 5 handers and throws quite a bit now so I'll make sure I bang on about them less if it helps too