Thread: Fire Scorpion (Lubbock PTC)

Fire Scorpion (Lubbock PTC)

This was a troll deck to tease the Abilene crew (whom are huge MK fans) with the Scorpion that they couldn't get early enough. While I've had a lot of time to brainstorm about what direction I wanted to take the deck, I didn't have a chance to flesh it out and conducted super-limited testing with it until the Tuesday before (due to various circumstances :S ).

At any rate, I'm posting this decklist because I have no intention of playing it again (see: no Earth symbol), but I've had a huge amount of fun with it and recognized the raw potential it has for being competitive.

··Scorpion··

Attack
    Ura 1207-Shiki Yamisogi x4
    Cascading Fear x4
    Chasm Buster x4
    Flash Lightning x4
    Ura 1029-Shiki Homurahotogi x2

Asset
    Homemade Explosives x4
    King of Fighters XIII x3
    Talbain's Nunchaku x2
    Saw Blades x2
    Kyo's Jacket x2
    Clark's Sun Glasses x2
    Team Ikari Warriors x2

Action
    Tama Yose x4
    Where There's Smoke… x2

Foundation
    Deforester x4
    Short Fuse·· x3
    Young Mercenary x3
    Killing Dinosaurs x3
    Robot Masters x3
    Embracing His Curse x2
    8000 Degrees x2
    First Class Materials x1
    Where the Seas Meet x1

Total: 63

Side
    Out of Your League x3
    Crescent Moon Hook x3
    The Land of Makai x2

Props:
    * Desperation attacks: Being able to activate Scorpion allowed me to keep handfuls of attacks first turn and still manage to pass them (and potentially kill with) on turn 2. It worked out even better if the opponent was especially aggressive (and helpful!) in chipping me down to desperation. There were multiple games where I didn't get the Tama Yose/Deforester dream going and I was still able to nuke my opponent down by turn 3, and it was all thanks to desperation attacks.

* Momentum gen: Flash Lightning is an uber-troll in this deck. I'd play them out and force an ultimatum onto the opponent: waste a block and give me a momentum, reduce the damage and give my next attack Multiple, or eat the damage (potentially getting buffed via Killing Dinosaurs) and give my next attack Multiple. I've thrown it out during build turns, I've thrown it out in the middle of attack chains, and I've even played it a couple of times as a reversal (usually paired with 8000 Degrees and Robot Masters). This card put in a lot of work on all fronts.

Honorable mention goes to Cascading Fear, as it's a Flash Lightning impersonator. It's nice to have such a cheap attack with decent damage to cap off an attack string (or to throw in front of Yamisogi for the combo).

* Assets: With the infamous Tama Yose/Deforester tech, I was able to play around with some previously underutilized assets (in some cases, abuse). Clark's Sunglasses and Kyo's Jacket aid in the quest of staging area lock-down, even during the opponent's turn. Homemade Explosives, Team Ikari Warriors, and Talbain's Nunchaku provided significant card draw, with Homemade and Nunchaku being helpful in my defensive efforts, too.

My personal favorite, though, is King of Fighters XIII; it helps to keep certain meta cards in check (Revoke, Fox News, Shield Ram, etc) and has seen play multiple times throughout Saturday. I've even used the damage pump once!

* Homurahotogi: I've already mentioned desperation attacks coming up huge, but Homurahotogi deserves special mention. The ability to drop this at the end of a 3+ attack string and only having to check a 5 was so clutch. Couple this with the opponent usually exhausting their blocks by this point, so chances were that it'd come packing with a Multiple: 1 on it. There was one game where I managed to drop two of these at the end of an attack string, with both copies multipled out.

The multiple pieces of staging area hate that the deck packs usually paved the way to where I didn't need to pump the speed to push it through, but Embracing His Curse and/or Saw Blades was there to help it out in those rare times.

Flops:
    * Where There's Smoke: This is in the Flops section strictly because I didn't come across a Kim/Goro/(Insert R-heavy character here), and I've used it 0 times for momentum gen. I could definitely see it as a strong sideboard, but it's situational enough to where it won't see significant use every game.

* Land of Makai: Needed to be mainboarded. There were too many times where I had to power through speed hate, Ophidiophobia, etc when I could've selectively locked them down with Land of Makai. There were probably 2 games total where I didn't side them in.

To be honest, you could keep the attack line-up intact, gut the Deforester/Asset/Tama Yose portion, and still have a competent build (I was able to get Deforester out by turn 2 once every three games, and multiple copies once every five, so I didn't find it to be crucial to the win condition). Anyways, this deck is very much in a raw state, but as-is, it had me a misplay away from making it into top cuts, so the potential is there. If you think you can do something with the concept, I highly encourage it!

Up until about 5 minutes ago I thought the biggest thing I would do with Scorpion was Flash Lightning into multiple Leona Blade.

But this is a work of art. Perhaps flawed art, but there is some super cool stuff going on here.
    2014 UK Teams Champ
    2016 World Teams Champ
    Garett's personal butler and mid-boss
    Self-proclaimed God of the Happy Feet

Join us on Discord for live UFS chat:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/63dRYmx

Quote Originally Posted by 'Caz Simon View Post
    Perhaps flawed art, but there is some super cool stuff going on here.
    Exactly why I threw it out here. This is literally the first draft of the deck, but it had many large pieces that worked so well; I'm curious to see what other people could do with it.

This is really interesting thanks for sharing. I have to ask though how did the tama yose/deforester style of deck work out of a six handsize?
    2011 UK Team National Champion
    2012 UK National Champion
    2012 UK Team National Champion
    2015 UK Extended National Champion
    2016 UK Team National Champion
    2017 UK Team National Champion

Just a washed up scrub who has to be dragged to victory these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Nubian God View Post
    is King of Fighters XIII; it helps to keep certain meta cards in check (Revoke
    Oh my god can't believe I've missed that for so long

I approve of the insanity level of this deck
    http://i.imgur.com/nxMBqb4.gifv

To edit a post, click Edit Post (brings up the Quick Edit thing over your post - ignore it), then click Edit Post again (this takes you to the detailed post page, where your edit can actually save)

Living Game Rules document v03.txt, because maybe you want to search through it?

Quote Originally Posted by Doji_Mike View Post
    This is really interesting thanks for sharing. I have to ask though how did the tama yose/deforester style of deck work out of a six handsize?
    When it went off, it worked like a dream. My biggest issue was not being able to come across multiple copies of Deforester as much as I'd like. As a result, it was easily sniped by Fox News. I did like how it allowed me to run more assets; they're like Unique foundations, but immune to stun, and I don't really NEED any one of them, so I'm not hurt if they're popped. I still attest that Athena is the reigning queen of Tama Yose and Deforester.

Hm, it seems decent, and interesting since it doesn't even run almost any of the major desperation cards from Team Yagami (which I had believed the best way to abuse that First F ability. I admit I overlooked the Flash Lightning abuse at first glance and hat's an amazing troll card here The thing I dislike is the fact that it runs yamisogi and homurahotogi in 4 copies each because trying to run a similar deck suddenly becomes impossible for anyone that wasn't an active player during the first release of neomax (like my entire local save our scout really)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    Hm, it seems decent, and interesting since it doesn't even run almost any of the major desperation cards from Team Yagami (which I had believed the best way to abuse that First F ability. I admit I overlooked the Flash Lightning abuse at first glance and hat's an amazing troll card here The thing I dislike is the fact that it runs yamisogi and homurahotogi in 4 copies each because trying to run a similar deck suddenly becomes impossible for anyone that wasn't an active player during the first release of neomax (like my entire local save our scout really)
    Team Yagami doesn't have fire. Right now fire is probably the only symbol worth running for Scorpion. If he had evil or chaos he'd be golden, but until death or void gets some more cards that work with his form you kinda have to do fire. And the best fire desperation attacks are from neomax.

To clarify the only symbol any of the team yagami characters from kof 13 share with scorpion is death with Vice and her cards don't do anything great with desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryunosuke View Post
    The thing I dislike is the fact that it runs yamisogi and homurahotogi in 4 copies each because trying to run a similar deck suddenly becomes impossible for anyone that wasn't an active player during the first release of neomax (like my entire local save our scout really)
    Homurahotogi is capped at 2 copies in this build (but it wouldn't hurt if it was 3+). Either way, I definitely feel your pain with the crutch of NeoMax. The only silver lining with Iori's attacks are that they've been slept on pretty hard since Iori2's been banned, so I'd be surprised if it was that hard to grab at least Yamisogis off of someone at the very least (while good, it's not chase-rare worthy like the other NeoMax cards).

But yeah, I've tried a few non-Desperation builds off of him before this one and they suffered heavily without that consistent pressure. There MIGHT be a discard-variant build that could abuse the Multiple angle more consistently, but they tend to have a hefty cost for the payout. I agree with OMB that his options will open up considerably after a set or two.