Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The Mighty Yokozuna!" - All E. Honda.

"The Mighty Yokozuna!" - All E. Honda.

So glad I eventually made my way round to doing an article/deck profile on E Honda like I have done with Zangief and Vincent Grey.

I've been playing as Honda since he was spoiled and loved every step of the way since.
    I was originally really wary about playing a 5 hand size character that didn't have a built in way to reduce damage, but I've found that I don't necessarily need it with Honda.

I still find it mind blowing that some people still consider him to be bad. If you still insist he's bad... you haven't tried him

Symbol of choice? All, for sure. It gets you his most important key pieces right now for both offense, defense and hand sculpting, we'll get to that.

It came as quite the surprise to people that I chose All over Earth.
    Yeah I played an Earth version originally using cards such as Implacaple, Demon Billion, Killing Dinosarus, Death Valley Face Plant and a couple of others that really complimented Honda, but after a while, looking at what All had to offer, I decided to make the change and it's turned out for the better in a number of ways, I'll explain in a bit.

I do miss using Direct hit on Sumo Headbutts though as that was fantastic if you made them big enough for your opponent to warrant blocking 'cause you got to seal 1 non-character in their staging area, seal their block or another non-character in their staging area, they removed the top 4 cards of their deck from the game, they discarded the top 4 cards of their deck and you drew a card.

Then just Implacable the Sumo Headbutt back to your hand to do all over again next turn.

but anyway, onto the All version.

I personally think after talking with a few people that the best Honda decks will run just Safe attacks. The only exception to this rule is Hundred Hand Slap which I have at 3 and I'm not the biggest fan of it not being Safe.
    This does mean against certain matchups I won't play it at all against them so I don't play into a reversal. Another way you can do this is just to simply keep an eye on how many cards they have in hand as that will normally tell you.

But it's just super effective to draw a card off of your opponent blocking you, they remove the top 4 cards of their deck, you seal their foundations so they can't use them and they can't reversal you for it to go on top.

I will say don't feel the urge to run something like Remembrance or Invincible Iron Body just because 1 of your attacks isn't Safe as that will just clog your deck of cards that won't do enough for you.

Another thing you need to make sure with E. Honda is that all of the attacks you choose to run need to do something productive, I saw an E. Honda deck the other day that was running Double Lariat which I would strongly disagree with on the grounds that it doesn't have an effect that triggers if it isn't blocked or it dealing damage, it isn't Safe and the only thing you can do to make it worth your opponent blocking it is ramping the damage, which is fine, but shouldn't be the sole reason that your opponent feels inclined to block your attack because there will be times where you don't have access to that damage buff, they'll just shrug the attack off.

Here is my current E. Honda deck --> http://ufsultra.com/deck.php?deck=pU...UfvHQVbQegULrf

I don't have Corroune De Fleurs in there because I am yet to get my hands on some.

Your goal here is to play 1 attack each turn until you either get enough of a board that playing more than one attack a turn doesn't mean you're overextending or that your opponent is on such low life that it's worth laying on some more pressure.

So treat it like you would if you were to be playing a grindy throw deck, 1 a turn until it calls for it basically.

There's no need to run too many attacks in your deck, in fact this current ratio I have (15 in 60 cards) is the highest I've had in a very long time, but I still don't play many attacks in a turn until much later.

All your attacks are 5 difficulty, so checking 3s and potentially 2s if you're running them is a serious issue.
    I'd still personally skew the ratios of the deck so that there are as few attacks, but have effects to add attacks to your hand/back to your hand so you're never short of them (See Surveyor, Merciless Master, Sight Seeing)

MVP of the deck hands down is Partners in Crimefighting, like most 5hs decks that can run it, but especially for E. Honda because this is your main source of fixing your hand and making sure you don't tap out at the same time.

For example, if I draw my hand of 4 foundations and 1 Attack, then you reveal 2 foundations and an attack off of Partners in Crimefighting, the play is to add them to the top as Foundation-Attack-Foundation.
    That way you have a guaranteed check for your attack to pass and if they block "said attack" you draw into the attack that's on the top of your deck.

If they don't block it, nevermind. Just play foundations for the rest of the turn as you've done what you needed to do.

Example 2:

You draw into 3 foundations, a Throw it Down and an Attack and you reveal 2 foundations and an attack off of Partners in Crimefighting.

The play is top put them back up as Attack-Foundation-Foundation.

That way you check 1 of the foundations for Throw it Down
    You check the other foundation for the attack.
    And you're guaranteed to draw into the attack now on top because if your attack gets blocked, you draw a card off of E. Honda and if it deals damage, you draw a card off of Throw it Down.

*It's nice when you get a Throw it Down and an Oicho Throw in your hand because the chances of you drawing 2 cards off of playing that one attack is very high as it's massive damage so they have to block (letting you draw off of Honda) then you draw a card off of Throw it Down (because of the Throw keyword on Oicho Throw)

or getting a Hundred Hand Slap is great too because if you see the first example, if the attack you play is a Hundred Hand Slap and you use the E. Honda enhance on HHS, you're guaranteed to draw the attack off the top regardless of if they block or not.

But if you don't happen to have an attack in your hand and you use Partners in Crimefighting and reveal an attack card, all you need to do is draw it off of Power Struggles.
    Power Struggles very recently went up to 3 because of how well it works with Partners in Crimefighting and how well that combo works around running a skewed attack ratio.

Merciless Master is another card that I have found to be incredibly powerful in Honda as it means if you have attacks in your momentum, you can put them on the top of your deck and dare your opponent to block your attack as you'll draw into another off of E Honda (the one you added there)

Flying Yamato Spear is your main attack in the deck. It plays tremendously around the way you want to play E. Honda as your opponent really doesn't want to block you, so having a massive Multiple attack in your deck that just so happens to fit the requirement for E. Honda too is just fantastic because now either way they are super doomed if they don't deal with him pronto.

Of course you could just get a Merciless Master on Board then keep playing 2 Oicho Throws, but Yamato Spear is better at taking chunks of your opponents life off in one go.

Ki Techniques is just there to make the most out of the draw power in the deck and as we all know, if you're going to pay hand for health, you'd better stretch out that health the best you can and I feel Ki Techniques is the best damage reduction under all right now so I have it at 3.

High Seas Adventure is probably the best foundation in the game right now in my opinion.
    Something you'll learn quickly about playing such high life characters is that when you get a wall of defense up, your opponent needs to rely on getting the very most out of every single attack they play in order to topple you.

Besides, there are too many attacks in UFS right now that you can just lose off the bat from - Nivose, Flip Kick, Trinity Geyser, Yamato Spear, Dark Laser, Mexican Typhoon and many more.

Being able to just remove one of your foundations to nullify them is absurd.

Hannya is pretty self explanatory, I've never found myself using it offensively in there, only defensively in there, especially because we have damage reduction and high life, we can afford to take unblocked damage nearly every turn and still be alright.

I like using High Seas Adventure then Hannya straight after too, that's a lot of fun for us because it shuts down most peoples attack turns.

Throw it down I've already briefly gone over. Works really well with Partners and Honda as you're guaranteed to draw a card either way with Honda and Partners lets you fix what you'll be drawing.

plus Throw it Down into either Oicho Throw or Yamato Spear is lethal.

Lightning Vengeance is there for stun decks really, having a "Torn Hero" esque effect is great at stopping any attack that has stun which is quite a lot right now.

Solomon's Teachings another explanatory one, but the reason why I bring it up is because I would very much consider sideboarding a fourth for decks that ramp speed.

Hundred Hand Slap also, if you hadn't noticed, works really well with Partners in Crimefighting for it's commit effect, because if you tap Partners, it readies again.

Battle Royale is there to stop people no selling my attack, every attack needs to matter as Honda. If someone finds a way to bypass them (damage reduction being one of the few ways) then Battle Royale lets me have a say about that before it gets out of hand.

Sight Seeing use to be in the deck, but eventually got taken out when trimming the deck down as I wanted to see cards like Partners in Crimefighting and High Seas Adventure a lot faster than I was when the deck was larger.
    That and the fact that it didn't have a block and I already had cards to pull attacks into/back into my hand such as Partners, Merciless Master and Power Struggles.

"Would I play the deck for tournaments?" Absolutely, he's a beast of a 5hs character who doesn't rely on damage reduction. Some could ask "why is that a problem?" well, it's because we have like 7 people playing as Bass so for the second time in my UFS run, people aren't budging off of a deck that directly hates my preferred style out of the game, this one just happens to be more bearable. So I don't know what to think of that really.... *shrugs. I don't care as much this time around because I yet again have found a super effective counter to it.

"Who would I recommend E. Honda to?" Players who are use to playing defensively, he's a semi-grindy deck that you need a lot of discipline to handle, but if you can handle playing as him, he's more than worth it because as long as you aren't dead, you're going to win - they're either running out of deck because they're blocking or they are taking more and more damage, both of which they can't keep doing... and the longer the game goes on, the better for you because they're going to keep cycling.

Advice for E. Honda players

*Skew the ratios of your deck so you won't get flooded with attack cards in your hand.
    *Make sure you have ways to add attacks to/back to your hand because of your skewed ratios.
    *Check that all your attacks have productive effects and aren't just raw damage.
    *Prepare yourself for bad checks (Tribal Protector, Partners in Crimefighting or cards that say "Discard 1 momentum: ready this foundation" to make up for committing them to pass control checks such as Nuclear Powered, Racing Rivals or Career Solider.

One thing I want to do before Honda rotates is to remove 4 of the same card off of his enhance, but that will probably never happen, but it would be so fascinating to see if it somehow happened.

I don't think there's anything else I need to say, so

Blurd Out!
    Last edited by Blurd Visionary; 07-08-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    "I've never been good with words... it's why my metacarpals have been broken on and off most my life"

2015 UK Teams Champ - Earth Goro
    1st - Doncaster PTC - All Megaman
    1st - Sheffield PTC - Fire Goro
    2nd - Colchester PTC - Fire Goro
    2nd - UK Legacy Nats - Earth (Tekken) King
    3rd - Colchester PTC - Earth Andy
    Youngest player to win cardboard - I was 17 at the time.

I never quite got the auto-requirement people have with Safe as a keyword for Honda. The way Ive always seen it, if theyre reversaling your attack, they've blocked your attack. It could be because Ive always built Honda to be mill focussed, but Im wondering where all of the fear is coming from.

Like people are autoincluding a Flying Yamato Spear in their builds which adds a 2 check on an attack that only 50% synergizes with the deck. Ken's Shoryuken always seemed more useful with the whole "youre a 6 hander no matter what" aspect.
    Metal Blade!
    Metal Blade!
    Metal Bla-

Quote Originally Posted by Lolollo View Post
    I never quite got the auto-requirement people have with Safe as a keyword for Honda. The way Ive always seen it, if theyre reversaling your attack, they've blocked your attack. It could be because Ive always built Honda to be mill focussed, but Im wondering where all of the fear is coming from.

Like people are autoincluding a Flying Yamato Spear in their builds which adds a 2 check on an attack that only 50% synergizes with the deck. Ken's Shoryuken always seemed more useful with the whole "youre a 6 hander no matter what" aspect.
    Safe is super important as 5hs because one of the things they struggle the most with is Reversals.
    They've paid hand for health so they need to stretch that health out as much as they can in order to live.
    Taking damage on their turn and then eating an attack turn from your opponent is one of the best ways of dealing with them so we don't want that happening to us.

Yamato Spear is insane. It needs to be in this deck as it's a kill condition that just so happens to fit the requirement for Honda too.
    I don't think Honda should be treated as a mill deck because you don't depict whether or not your opponent blocks you.
    You can add cards that say "If this attack isn't blocked" or "If this attack deals damage" yeah sure, they have an incentive to block you.
    But the best way you could play Honda is to play to win... if they block you, cool, you get nice things for it. But don't build your deck to mill people otherwise you'll get outpaced by any competitive deck right now.
    "I've never been good with words... it's why my metacarpals have been broken on and off most my life"

Quote Originally Posted by Blurd Visionary View Post
    Udstad...
    And it works incredibly nicely with Oicho Throw because, funnily enough it's a Throw.
    Hopefully this bit is sarcasm (if not, please elaborate on the synergy).

Great article, as usual. Tossed out a couple of bits that I haven't considered yet.

One thing I considered: with all of the Bass players in your area, are you packing Racing Rivals in your sideboard?
    Last edited by Nubian God; 07-06-2017 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurd Visionary View Post
    Safe is super important as 5hs because one of the things they struggle the most with is Reversals.
    They've paid hand for health so they need to stretch that health out as much as they can in order to live.
    Taking damage on their turn and then eating an attack turn from your opponent is one of the best ways of dealing with them so we don't want that happening to us.

Yamato Spear is insane. It needs to be in this deck as it's a kill condition that just so happens to fit the requirement for Honda too.
    I don't think Honda should be treated as a mill deck because you don't depict whether or not your opponent blocks you.
    You can add cards that say "If this attack isn't blocked" or "If this attack deals damage" yeah sure, they have an incentive to block you.
    But the best way you could play Honda is to play to win... if they block you, cool, you get nice things for it. But don't build your deck to mill people otherwise you'll get outpaced by any competitive deck right now.
    I've actually not had a lot of problems with super aggressive builds since Ive always held it a priority to build the deck with increased defense, like Templar. The main thing about aggressive decks is that they'll usually have a vested interest in blocking your attacks, usually because they cant actually afford to take the damage. And if you run the attack lineup right, you can turn Honda into a 7, or even 8 handed character instead of the usual 5 with that fact. Then you just build and defend while churning an exponential snowball of attacks. Its like you said, you have an exorbatant amount of health, and youre even running Hannya defensively for that disruption. The way you run it more mill focussed is you run the attacks as high damage cannonballs that just sort of chug at the opponent, and then you favor tech thats centered around extension and recycle over churning 20/20 attacks that are impossible to block. The benefit you get from Honda is the fact that you dont care if your opponent blocks your attack, and in fact get benefit from doing so, so I run tech as opposed to speed and reap the benefits.

Like I get a lot of mileage from Senshi no Sonshou and Samurai Robotto. The former is really good for churning upwards of 2-3 attacks out which is a lot of pressure given that "get hit or mill" false choice. Playtesting, Ive had people taking 12 damage Oichi throws in the face just for me to toss another one out. They end up having to block that one just to not die and I get to draw into more gas. Thanks to not having to worry about 2 checks, my early game is neigh 100% garunteed and the capacity for build gets outrageous. Aritifice Avarice and Egotistical are really solid for draw (you run Hannya in a way where you take damage in the face. Egotistical can capitalize further on that advantage like mad. Late game, which it seems your deck is geared towards, Armor Expert and Artivice Avarice are dumb as . 5 check and a free card? Hot damn! Run Merciless to put an attack on top before putting Artifice on top? Hot damner!).

I think all thats mostly because you prioritised your deck differently than I did, gameplay wise. The way I structured my deck to run out is my early game tosses an attack out early, and then builds the rest of the turn. Thats what Ken's Shoryuken is really nice for, as it nets you that 6 hand size garunteed. Then, on turn 2-3, you have enough foundation fodder to play 2 attacks and eat a 3 check.
    Partners is really nice, as you said, as it can be used to fenagle attacks to your hand, but also show you how garunteed the next 2-3 attack checks are.

Another reason senshi is really nice is you can toss it as a first form, and more of less give your first attack minus 1 difficulty, as even if you check a 3, you only commit 1, which then makes it easier to play your second attack that turn if you have other senshi's to lube the turn. Ive had explosive turns where i'll get 2 senshi's on turn 1 and be able to unload 2 attacks on turn 1/2 depending on your perception of turn ordering. Then, checks depending, you can send out a 3rd attack and eat the check to really harrass your opponent. I think that also adds to why I dont mind as much if my opponent plays reversals, because save for the odd Guardian Slasher build, which simply requires me to play more careful, all youre doing is clunking your card pool for me to ship my second, maybe 3rd attack, which is now that much harder for you to block. Those Samurai Robotto's are really gonna make you feel it then.

Part of it could be our philosophy approach in building 5 handers. I dont want to make assumptions on how you do it, but my initial priority is in figuring out how to make that 5 handed big McSwollhuge into a 6 or 7 handed Big McSwollhuge. Then I can go as fast as other 6 or 7 handers with the added benefit of being a Big McSwollhuge. It was how I approached Napalm man, and he was dumb as at my local playgroup. That probably adds to why I never had/have to concern myself with safe as I always try to view 5 handers as a 6 or 7 hander with some extra effort.

Here's my Honda build for reference: http://ufsultra.com/deck.php?deck=MY...lCjYRfIlKhhxRR

PS, I get that you dont have the obscure Elizabeth asset, that thing helps a lot.

PPS, Im also hoping that its not thought that Im just walking in here and dumping on your post, I dont mean any sort of disrespect. I was simply super excited to build the deck as well as soon as it was spoiled, I just think I was so for different reasons than you were, so I do value the difference in approach. That way 5 handed characters that cant easily be turned into 6 handers arent just an unsolvable rubics cube for me (case in point: I was thinking the whole Safe thing was for Honda specifically as a consideration, not necessarily that it was an important need for 5 handers in general, which makes sense.)
    Last edited by Lolollo; 07-06-2017 at 09:01 AM.
    Metal Blade!
    Metal Blade!
    Metal Bla-

Quote Originally Posted by Nubian God View Post

Great article, as usual. Tossed out a couple of bits that I haven't considered yet.

One thing I considered: with all of the Bass players in your area, are you packing Racing Rivals in your sideboard?
    I do believe Rio will have probably been cheating, oops.
    2011 UK Team National Champion
    2012 UK National Champion
    2012 UK Team National Champion
    2015 UK Extended National Champion
    2016 UK Team National Champion
    2017 UK Team National Champion

Just a washed up scrub who has to be dragged to victory these days...

By the way, now that Way of a True Warrior is out, it could be a decent side option against Bass. Using one against his first attack effectively forces him to extend 3 attacks deep just to do anything and neuters a third of the problem is if comes up.
    Metal Blade!
    Metal Blade!
    Metal Bla-

Quote Originally Posted by Nubian God View Post

Nah, it wasn't so much of a misread - my friend suggested it for the deck and spoke about how good it would be with Oicho Throw which I assumed wasn't "non-throw" from what they told me so I doubt it will make the cut now.

Racing Rivals actually doesn't work agaisnt Bass - Bass forced you to add a card from your hand to your card pool, which is different to discarding it... Besides, I don't think it would have been worth it 'cause if he had stripped me of my hand, chances are - I'm dead.

I've actually not had a lot of problems with super aggressive builds since Ive always held it a priority to build the deck with increased defense, like Templar. The main thing about aggressive decks is that they'll usually have a vested interest in blocking your attacks, usually because they cant actually afford to take the damage. And if you run the attack lineup right, you can turn Honda into a 7, or even 8 handed character instead of the usual 5 with that fact. Then you just build and defend while churning an exponential snowball of attacks. Its like you said, you have an exorbatant amount of health, and youre even running Hannya defensively for that disruption. The way you run it more mill focussed is you run the attacks as high damage cannonballs that just sort of chug at the opponent, and then you favor tech thats centered around extension and recycle over churning 20/20 attacks that are impossible to block. The benefit you get from Honda is the fact that you dont care if your opponent blocks your attack, and in fact get benefit from doing so, so I run tech as opposed to speed and reap the benefits.

Like I get a lot of mileage from Senshi no Sonshou and Samurai Robotto. The former is really good for churning upwards of 2-3 attacks out which is a lot of pressure given that "get hit or mill" false choice. Playtesting, Ive had people taking 12 damage Oichi throws in the face just for me to toss another one out. They end up having to block that one just to not die and I get to draw into more gas. Thanks to not having to worry about 2 checks, my early game is neigh 100% garunteed and the capacity for build gets outrageous. Aritifice Avarice and Egotistical are really solid for draw (you run Hannya in a way where you take damage in the face. Egotistical can capitalize further on that advantage like mad. Late game, which it seems your deck is geared towards, Armor Expert and Artivice Avarice are dumb as . 5 check and a free card? Hot damn! Run Merciless to put an attack on top before putting Artifice on top? Hot damner!).

I think all thats mostly because you prioritised your deck differently than I did, gameplay wise. The way I structured my deck to run out is my early game tosses an attack out early, and then builds the rest of the turn. Thats what Ken's Shoryuken is really nice for, as it nets you that 6 hand size garunteed. Then, on turn 2-3, you have enough foundation fodder to play 2 attacks and eat a 3 check.
    Partners is really nice, as you said, as it can be used to fenagle attacks to your hand, but also show you how garunteed the next 2-3 attack checks are.

Another reason senshi is really nice is you can toss it as a first form, and more of less give your first attack minus 1 difficulty, as even if you check a 3, you only commit 1, which then makes it easier to play your second attack that turn if you have other senshi's to lube the turn. Ive had explosive turns where i'll get 2 senshi's on turn 1 and be able to unload 2 attacks on turn 1/2 depending on your perception of turn ordering. Then, checks depending, you can send out a 3rd attack and eat the check to really harrass your opponent. I think that also adds to why I dont mind as much if my opponent plays reversals, because save for the odd Guardian Slasher build, which simply requires me to play more careful, all youre doing is clunking your card pool for me to ship my second, maybe 3rd attack, which is now that much harder for you to block. Those Samurai Robotto's are really gonna make you feel it then.

Part of it could be our philosophy approach in building 5 handers. I dont want to make assumptions on how you do it, but my initial priority is in figuring out how to make that 5 handed big McSwollhuge into a 6 or 7 handed Big McSwollhuge. Then I can go as fast as other 6 or 7 handers with the added benefit of being a Big McSwollhuge. It was how I approached Napalm man, and he was dumb as at my local playgroup. That probably adds to why I never had/have to concern myself with safe as I always try to view 5 handers as a 6 or 7 hander with some extra effort.

Here's my Honda build for reference: http://ufsultra.com/deck.php?deck=MY...lCjYRfIlKhhxRR

PS, I get that you dont have the obscure Elizabeth asset, that thing helps a lot.

PPS, Im also hoping that its not thought that Im just walking in here and dumping on your post, I dont mean any sort of disrespect. I was simply super excited to build the deck as well as soon as it was spoiled, I just think I was so for different reasons than you were, so I do value the difference in approach. That way 5 handed characters that cant easily be turned into 6 handers arent just an unsolvable rubics cube for me (case in point: I was thinking the whole Safe thing was for Honda specifically as a consideration, not necessarily that it was an important need for 5 handers in general, which makes sense.)
    It's very clear the difference in our decks, our preferred styles and what we value in our games, but that's normal.
    There are a lot of cards in there that I'm not a fan of, but that just goes back to what I just said.

I've always played super defensively in UFS, for countless reasons. The idea of a 5 hand size character having 18-20 attacks and being a super aggressive deck in it has always been the biggest oxymoron I've ever seen in my entire UFS run so I never do that.

I will however raise this: The main reason why I feel playing much more of a defensive build of Honda is because we can both agree, the longer the game goes on, the better it gets for Honda.
    Granted, the format is very fast now and that may put some pressure on players to try and make their decks to work fast, but that still doesn't warrant shoehorning what's quite clearly a defensive long game character into playing super aggressive on early turns and running high attack counts.

Something I've advocated a hell of a lot about in the past is how important your first few turns as a 5hs character are.
    I run fewer attacks than the large majority of players and I feel my it's very much rewarding my early game (seeing more foundations in my hand, being able to pass a lot more of them, then passing more attacks throughout the game as it prevents your from overextending which will kill you.

I dunno... we could go back and fourth about this for ages as I have done with this topic with many other players in the past

Something I reckon you'd like though is Super Mega Buster.
    I know I spoke about how all your attacks should realistically have productive effects that either draw you a card or are incredibly influential in games, but considering the style of deck you're playing, you may like it because it's a massive attack (You'll get the momentum because they don't want to block you) it's offzone, it's got a good block and it doesn't roll for a 2 which I can tell you're so very set towards not running.

By the way, now that Way of a True Warrior is out, it could be a decent side option against Bass. Using one against his first attack effectively forces him to extend 3 attacks deep just to do anything and neuters a third of the problem is if comes up.
    Yeah I am running that now