Thread: Reintroducing Legacy Cards - Join in, it's lots of fun!

Lightbulb Reintroducing Legacy Cards - Join in, it's lots of fun!

My post the other day went over the good majority of cards that got banned in Legacy and it brought back all the nostalgia of "the good old days" so this lead to what you're reading now.

Well, that and the fact that I truly do love getting the community being creative and talking together

Pretty simple one - "If you had to hand pick 5 non-characters from Legacy UFS to reintroduce back into the game, which ones would you pick?" and if you're really looking for those extra stars, explain why.

I'll start:

1: Bringing the Master to his Knees http://ufsultra.com/showcard.php?id=1289

Fantastic versatile card that was really good at keeping games in check. I'd reprint it without Breaker: 2 though as that does seem a little much.

It didn't hate too hard on reversals or action cards either as it states "cards in their staging area"

2: Fight for the Future http://ufsultra.com/showcard.php?id=4844
    This one admittedly, has a lot of text on it that could easily be condensed down so I think if it were to be reprinted, I would clean that up to:

"After you play an attack, your opponent may draw X cards. If they do, you may draw equal to half the number of cards they drew (rounded up). X equals the speed of this attack."

This card was really good at showing players when to make certain plays. If you could handle running this card correctly, this was your best friend, but if you were never sure when to use it, it could easily kill you - which in the long run, just made people better players.

It's also an effect that benefits both players so it's incredibly hard to call it an NPE. Anyone who did call it such, I'd imagine falls under that category of misunderstanding when to draw the cards off of it.

3: Pommel Smash http://ufsultra.com/showcard.php?id=4359

This card would be great in standard as most attacks right now you play have to hit high numbers in order to be relevant. Pommel Smash on the other hand is probably one of the best pound for pound (non-banned) utility attacks in the game.

*It was one of very few ways to tap your opponent's character.
    *It's cheap to play.
    *You could open turns with it.
    *Whether you played super defensively or super aggressively, you could always warrant running this card.
    *It's a super good sideboard option if you don't happen to be maining it already due to how influential it can be in certain matchups.
    *It's a weapon so the many cards that reference them would work really well with it.
    *And if you had cards that said "if this attack deals damage" you could make very intricate plays with it to bait people's blocks.

4: Monster Lariat http://ufsultra.com/showcard.php?id=742
    Here's one attack that was so simple, yet so effective and fair at the same time.

It's on the more difficult side for an attack that doesn't have any keyword abilities and is mid, but I've never known people to be so fascinated about trying to make a card work because if you could find a way to make this attack hit, the value from it is insane.

And even if it got blocked, then good... it did a different job for you by literally forcing your opponent to put something in front of it.

Besides, as all card players know - you can never have enough draw power.

5: Yoga Mastery http://ufsultra.com/showcard.php?id=3022
    What a shocker most would say, but allow me to explain:
    I feel as though with UFS having such an overflow of ways in which to deal with your opponent's staging area with target tap, seal and flip now that foundations should have stronger effects.

Something our veteran players spoke about amongst eachother the other day was how the most blatant difference between "What makes Legacy the way it was compared to the way Standard is" is due to where the strength lied in cards back then compared to now.

What I'm trying to say is - Foundations were way stronger than attacks were back then and that has changed with time, that's why the format is so aggressive and rushy, it's because the quality of attacks has crashed into the ceiling and your staging area.... as much as it is still for sure relevant, isn't nowwhere near as influential on games than it use to be.

So I'd personally like to see this come back with it's full errata of course, which... for the people who don't know was:

"If this ability is being played for the second time or greater this turn, commit this foundation."

I guess this stems from me wanting the game to slow right down because of how "racecarey" the format is right now, it doesn't really allow intricate, clever plays - Vega now being a rare exception.

I dunno.... but what I do know is that I could ramble for days about topics if people didn't stop me haha

What cards would you bring back? comment down below as I assure people as always, I will read through them.

Blurd Out!
    "I've never been good with words... it's why my metacarpals have been broken on and off most my life"

2015 UK Teams Champ - Earth Goro
    1st - Doncaster PTC - All Megaman
    1st - Sheffield PTC - Fire Goro
    2nd - Colchester PTC - Fire Goro
    2nd - UK Legacy Nats - Earth (Tekken) King
    3rd - Colchester PTC - Earth Andy
    Youngest player to win cardboard - I was 17 at the time.

Hell no you cannot print Bringing the Master to his Knees or Yoga Mastery ever again.

Master says "If you have a degenerate combo or a 90% shot at winning this turn, go ahead and just kill them instead."

Yoga Mastery says "New players get to have a miserable time again"

Is this a real post?
    Looking for a Nats team

Quote Originally Posted by Magnusotls View Post
    Is this a real post?
    Certainly seems like one. I'm willing to play the game though.

Blood Runs True - It's degenerate
    Chesters Backing - It's degenerate
    Higher Caliber - It's degenerate
    Addes Syndicate - It's degenerate
    Darkness Blade - Read it and tell me EXACTLY what it does. Fun arguments abounds!

I'm being a degenerate and noone can stop me!
    Things don't look good for our plucky young heroes.

Darkness blade would continuously target the same card in their staging area (most likely their character), disregarding whether that card is committed or not. so it would just tap it down, and then become redundant afterwards (save for the card being readied for whatever reason). Or am I missing something?

Just do it.
    2014 UK Teams Champ
    2016 World Teams Champ
    Garett's personal butler and mid-boss
    Self-proclaimed God of the Happy Feet

Join us on Discord for live UFS chat:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/63dRYmx

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    Hell no you cannot print Bringing the Master to his Knees or Yoga Mastery ever again.

Master says "If you have a degenerate combo or a 90% shot at winning this turn, go ahead and just kill them instead."

Yoga Mastery says "New players get to have a miserable time again"
    *Woke up, read through what I'd scrambled together into "my latest post" and realised, yeah, probs can't get back BTMTHN and Mastery.

But it wasn't a kek, I would love them cards to come back because they were just so controlling in comparison to our current racecar format.
    in my personal opinion I've been under the impression (for quite some time) that UFS is a aggro players game where it's basically "who can get the bigger numbers the fastest without checking badly" and such.
    Vega again being the rare exception - but don't you worry... He's a pure gem for players like myself and I will get to him soon, probably tomorrow.

I'm sure there will be people that will think what I just said is insane or outrageous, but I'll say now that I'm not looking to start an argument on here or stir crap, that's just how I feel and I understand not all games fit my description, but from what I've gathered: When you looking at people playing UFS competitively - that being the key word here... Players tend to play insanely aggressive decks that try to fire off heavily on turn 2 and 3.

I'm straying... so I'd better stop.
    "I've never been good with words... it's why my metacarpals have been broken on and off most my life"

2015 UK Teams Champ - Earth Goro
    1st - Doncaster PTC - All Megaman
    1st - Sheffield PTC - Fire Goro
    2nd - Colchester PTC - Fire Goro
    2nd - UK Legacy Nats - Earth (Tekken) King
    3rd - Colchester PTC - Earth Andy
    Youngest player to win cardboard - I was 17 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurd Visionary View Post
    I've been under the impression (for quite some time) that UFS is a aggro players game
    Damn straight. Really miss a couple years back when it felt like all styles were a viable option and player skill made all of them put in the work. Game's been ed since Darkstalkers WotN (God bless Summer Heat + Ever Hopeful).
    Last edited by 'Caz Simon; 07-19-2017 at 06:52 AM.
    2014 UK Teams Champ
    2016 World Teams Champ

Quote Originally Posted by 'Caz Simon View Post
    (God bless Summer Heat + Ever Hopeful).
    I'm pretty sure the only card that's been more skill intensive than Summer Heat since I've been playing (RotM) is Artifice Avarice...

Quote Originally Posted by -OMB- View Post
    I'm pretty sure the only card that's been more skill intensive than Summer Heat since I've been playing (RotM) is Artifice Avarice...
    Then you missed our good friend, Mourning the Lost. lol
    2014 UK Teams Champ
    2016 World Teams Champ