Thread: Coming back with a few questions

Coming back with a few questions

So I'm coming back, and I will be trying to start a group for UFS in my area, but I want to make sure I have a full grasp on the rules. I recently bought 3 boxes of Cutting Edge, and noticed a lot of Ranged cards said things like "If blocking a Ranged attack, this has a block modifier of +0" and Thrown attacks that all say "This attack does half damage even if blocked." I saw in some threads while looking up other things and noticed that people are saying those old rules are changed now. How do I go about using those cards now? Is there some site with errata and FAQs?

Head Judge
    WElcome back!

A couple of things. First, nearly all play right now is done using the game's Standard Format, which includes a set rotation. Unfortunately that means that SNK The Cutting Edge is no longer legal for tournament play - and hasn't been for quite some time.

That said, the rules changes were that the text you noticed - about blocking on Ranged attacks and always dealing damage on Throws - got rolled into the keywords themselves. So at some point, "Throw" started just meaning the attack would deal half damage when blocked. Ranged, however, while it was like this for a while, currently does NOT do anything like this, it is just a descriptive keyword like Punch or Kick.
    hay guise, im ofishul

Oldschool Deck articles! I II III IV V

On newer cards (since Rise of the Masters), keywords which grant abilities are in italics. Throw is one such ability, and grants that old "half damage" ability.

Ranged isn't italicized, and the closest you can get to the old effect is Proto Man's asset. Note that old cards with the literal text still function that way, but new Ranged moves can't

As for errata -- you can look at the official "Standard Format Legality" PDF linked from http://www.jascogames.com/ufs with the list of errata relevant to Standard. You can also look up on http://ufsultra.com/ but the official doc takes priority. For older cards, UFSUltra does have an "Errata Text" field in their database, but there haven't been many recent efforts to bring old cards into line.
    http://i.imgur.com/nxMBqb4.gifv

To edit a post, click Edit Post (brings up the Quick Edit thing over your post - ignore it), then click Edit Post again (this takes you to the detailed post page, where your edit can actually save)

Living Game Rules document v03.txt, because maybe you want to search through it?

Alright then. Thank you guys. Since I'm going to be starting the group from scratch, should I do legacy style games until collections are built up? The most recent set i bought was Red Horizon, and I also recall seeing something stating that was rotating out of standard as well.

https://jascogames.com/wp-content/up...s-May-26th.pdf

Is the current standard, if you are referring to Red Horizon (and not Red Horizon Blood Omen) then the most recent set you bought is also not standard legal.

What type of play you do with your group is up to you, but unless you just intend to play casually there is no point to playing anything but standard - i.e. there is no currently supported legacy format and legacy cards in general are harder to find.

Personally, I'd only suggest buying standard format cards, and running standard format events with your group. The only reason I can see not to do this is if you and the other yet-to-be members of your group all own legacy cards already and don't want to play anything more than casually with one another.
    "No, no, not by the hair on my chinny chin Chin."

Alright then. I'm still waiting to see what my local card shops can get so I'll probably decide once I know. The only person I know that plays irl does so casually, but we don't talk much so it's hard to get games in.