Thread: Relatively New Player with Various and Sundry Rules Queries

Relatively New Player with Various and Sundry Rules Queries

I'll just get right down to it.

Situation 1: Stretch Kick

Stretch Kick cares whether or not it has received both a speed and a damage boost in order to pass along two speed and two damage. Let's say that I use Iron Will's response in order to increase its speed, and my first enhance in order to increase its damage, and my opponent uses an enhance which reduces its speed by 2, putting it back to its un-adjusted amount. For my next enhance, I attempt to use Stretch Kick's enhance. Which one applies.

a. The Kick had received both speed and damage boosts, so everything happens normally.

b. The kick checks its values when you use the enhance, and would not pass the bonus to the next attack.

Does it check when the enhance is used, or is it when it resolves? What happens if you use the enhance before applying damage or speed bonuses?

Follow-up question—more to verify my understanding of the rules:

Let's say I use Stretch Kick's enhance and my next attack gets two speed and two damage, and I have a Death Charge out. Is the correct moment to use Death Charge's response the moment my attack is played, after the check?

Situation 2: "After you play" effects.

Just want to verify, a card is considered "played" after, and not before the control check.

Situation 3: Prepare to Fight

When an action card has an enhance, if you don't play it for its enhance when you want to use it, can you use its enhance while it is in the card pool? Let's say Player A plays an attack and player B plays Prepare to Fight as a block. Player A plays another attack.

a. Can player B use Prepare to Fight's Enhance on the second attack?

b. Can player B use Prepare to Fight's response that doesn't mention the attack it specifically blocks?

I don't honestly know about the first situation, but I believe that in the second one, you can continue to use Prepare to Fight's anti-multiple response as many times as you'd like while it's in the card pool, based on how The Hunt for Spiders and Dragons works.

Situation 4: Pride of the Tribe

This question concerns response windows. If I have two or more Pride of the Tribes out, and use more than 1 of them to pass a block check, do I get to use each one's response, or does the game consider them all committed at once, and consider it only one possible response window? How many foundations does my opponent end up needing to flip? As many as Prides I've committed or just one?

Situation 5: Off-Symbols

If I have an off symbol card that I play as my first form, and then remove it from the card pool either by its own effect, or from another such as Felicity House, can I play a form string from a completely different symbol?

Situation 6: Face-down foundations

Let's say over the course of the game, I flip three different cards into face-down foundations. My opponent knows two of the cards, but one of them came down from the top of my deck. Naturally, over the course of play, I move my foundations around and commit/ready them many times and lose track of which one is which, and I play an effect that lets me return a foundation to my hand.

a. Am I allowed to look at the reverse side of my flipped foundation?

b. Is my opponent allowed to ask to see what is one the other side of my face-down foundation, such as if he is trying to decide which one to destroy with an effect?

Situation 7: Momentum

I know that you're not allowed to rearrange, or look at momentum unless a card specifically says you can, but I have two questions.

a. If an effect, such as Shien Kyaku's enhance, would ask you to reveal 1 of your momentum at random, how exactly are we expected to do that? The only way I can immediately think of is assigning each momentum a value on a die, and rolling until you get one of those values, but if you have, let's say, 9 momentum, and no access to anything other than d6s, how should this be randomized? To a new player, the easiest way is to grab the momentum, shuffle it, and then have your opponent pick one out. Keeping the order and contents known while still randomizing a potentially large value seems tricky.

b. In a tournament, are we allowed to take paper-and-pen notes on momentum, since it is usually public information that gets obfuscated, and we are expected to keep track of? Furthermore, are we allowed to ask our opponents to more carefully show where they are putting which attack where on their momentum, rather than the usual "flip-n-slip" method? After all, cards are removed in a specific order during the end phase, and not all at once.

Situation 8: Focus Charge

If focus charge gives a floating +1 to the next card's powerful rating, does that give a card without powerful a powerful rating of 1? Also, if the attack later gains powerful, such as Delta Kick, does that new value get the +1 from Focus Charge?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I've been playing less than a month, and I'd like to have my understanding of the rules ironed out more completely before I go to a tournament, and there's a pretty big one coming up that I'd like to attend.

For the first one, you can compare Stretch Kick to Fire Palm Fury to see the difference. If your opponent reduces the speed on Fire Palm Fury, back to printed, you'll have to pump it again to be able to draw. Stretch Kick just wants to have at any point been higher than 4, so you're all good in that situation.

Let's say I use Stretch Kick's enhance and my next attack gets two speed and two damage, and I have a Death Charge out. Is the correct moment to use Death Charge's response the moment my attack is played, after the check?
    "Next attack" actually goes off before you make the control check. Several abilities say things like "Your next attack gets +2 damage and -2 difficulty" and things like that, so they have to apply at the very first moment you start to play the attack.
    If I have two or more Pride of the Tribes out, and use more than 1 of them to pass a block check, do I get to use each one's response, or does the game consider them all committed at once, and consider it only one possible response window? How many foundations does my opponent end up needing to flip? As many as Prides I've committed or just one?
    "R: After this foundation is committed to pass a check to block an attack, your opponent flips 1 of their foundations. Playable while committed."

You get to respond with each one of these individually, and your opponent will have to flip 1 foundation for each time you respond, unless they run out of foundations that can flip
    If I have an off symbol card that I play as my first form, and then remove it from the card pool either by its own effect, or from another such as Felicity House, can I play a form string from a completely different symbol?
    You sure can
    a. Am I allowed to look at the reverse side of my flipped foundation?

b. Is my opponent allowed to ask to see what is one the other side of my face-down foundation, such as if he is trying to decide which one to destroy with an effect?
    a. Yes, absolutely. It's private information. b. Your opponent can't ask to see your facedowns. However, he can ask you not to do things like stack up all your facedowns into a big pile, if he wants to try to remember which one came from a particular source so he can target it later.
    a. If an effect, such as Shien Kyaku's enhance, would ask you to reveal 1 of your momentum at random, how exactly are we expected to do that? The only way I can immediately think of is assigning each momentum a value on a die, and rolling until you get one of those values, but if you have, let's say, 9 momentum, and no access to anything other than d6s, how should this be randomized? To a new player, the easiest way is to grab the momentum, shuffle it, and then have your opponent pick one out. Keeping the order and contents known while still randomizing a potentially large value seems tricky.
    Great question. The easiest way is to use a better source of randomness like random.org on a cell phone (if this is even legal? I don't think we have any no-phone rules). You could also do some stuff with multiple rolls of d6s: split the momentum into 3 groups and roll to pick one, then roll again to pick a card from within that group. But it's easy to get this wrong and make it unfairly nonrandom (each outcome must be equally likely, or it's not right)

Furthermore, are we allowed to ask our opponents to more carefully show where they are putting which attack where on their momentum, rather than the usual "flip-n-slip" method?
    You're absolutely within your rights to ask your opponent which cards are going where

If focus charge gives a floating +1 to the next card's powerful rating, does that give a card without powerful a powerful rating of 1? Also, if the attack later gains powerful, such as Delta Kick, does that new value get the +1 from Focus Charge?
    This is a classic question. The answer to both is "No" - if a card has no rating in a keyword, nothing happens. And if it gains Powerful later, the effect from Focus Charge has already completely finished.

If another effect gives "your next attack Powerful:2" or something, then you can choose which order to apply the effects and either get Powerful:2 or :3. Contrast Focus Charge with Shoulder Throw. And also contrast it with Super Inazuma Kick -- if you play an attack without Stun, Inazuma Kick will ignore it, and if it later gains Stun, Inazuma will apply only then. But Focus Charge applies immediately when you have a "next attack" regardless of Powerful, so the Powerful part can be wasted.
    http://i.imgur.com/nxMBqb4.gifv

To edit a post, click Edit Post (brings up the Quick Edit thing over your post - ignore it), then click Edit Post again (this takes you to the detailed post page, where your edit can actually save)

Living Game Rules document v03.txt, because maybe you want to search through it?

Thanks so much for the answers!

I love to see new players who care about the fine details. Any time
    http://i.imgur.com/nxMBqb4.gifv

To edit a post, click Edit Post (brings up the Quick Edit thing over your post - ignore it), then click Edit Post again (this takes you to the detailed post page, where your edit can actually save)

Living Game Rules document v03.txt, because maybe you want to search through it?

Head Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by PvtChurch View Post
    For the first one, you can compare Stretch Kick to Fire Palm Fury to see the difference. If your opponent reduces the speed on Fire Palm Fury, back to printed, you'll have to pump it again to be able to draw. Stretch Kick just wants to have at any point been higher than 4, so you're all good in that situation.
    Small correction to what Church said here - Stretch Kick doesn't care if its current damage/speed have ever been higher than 4. Just that the speed and damage have both received a bonus of some sort.
    hay guise, im ofishul

Oldschool Deck articles! I II III IV V

Quote Originally Posted by Tagrineth View Post
    Small correction to what Church said here - Stretch Kick doesn't care if its current damage/speed have ever been higher than 4. Just that the speed and damage have both received a bonus of some sort.
    Yeah, that's a good clarification to make. I don't want to mislead people because of my wording, the wording in this game is weird enough.