Thread: Suggested optional ruling

Suggested optional ruling

Ok let me preface this idea by saying there should be no need to implement any change in rules if people just played the game properly
    However
    We've all experienced that time when you begin a kill string and the opponent states "im not playing any enhances just play it out" sometimes your opponent may also have a bit of an attitude about you playing the game properly. Some of us may then have experienced one of the most annoying things in the game where at the conclusion of your last enhance you state ok that's it and the oppo plays an e. Maybe its an e that you want to play at the end of the enhance step say "return this attack to printed..." obviously your opponent wants to get all your enhances out of the way prior to playing an e that powerful. Now in my opinion you shouldn't be able to then play an enhance after declaring you aren't going to be playing enhances in this enhance phase however there is no mechanic for this and the rules state you should offer your opponent the chance to play an enhance after each of your enhances meaning you get a sticky situation like the one above

Enter forgo
    I believe there should be an opt in mechanic where by an opponent can state they are now forgoing this enhance step. They can do it at any opportunity they would have to play an enhance and in so doing signals that they pass all opportunities to play enhances and responses until the end of the enhance step in which they would then be able to use responses that trigger in response to the end of the enhance step.
    It could be symbolised by turning your character to your oppo or placing it on your deck. Again this would be completely optional but would avoid situations like that mentioned above.
    Top 8 at 2011 uk standard nationals -jin
    3rd place 2012 uk legacy nationals - nakoruru
    3rd place 2013 uk legacy nationals - lilith
    my trade thread http://forums.jascogames.com/forums/...s-trade-binder.

Head Judge
    I don't believe this is necessary, but you need to make it clear to your opponent if they do the "I'm not playing Enhances just play it out" thing that they need to follow standard procedure.

How hard is it to just say "pass" to signal to your opponent that you aren't playing an E?

You're absolutely right though, in light of stuff like Refusing to Let Go and Survivalist ("Is that your last Enhance? Cool, I'll R...) and the fact that those abilities are meant to be able to be played around (using less bonuses than expected, etc.), people should not be effectively cheating by shortcutting.

I've personally lost games to having Dust in the Wind and waiting for the 'perfect' speed bonus only to have my opponent pass and force me to over commit resources into blocking because they didn't use their strongest speed increase yet.

It's not a minor aspect of the game we're talking about here.

I don't think there should be an "opt out" option though because there's a REALLY big he said / she said ruling nightmare waiting to happen. Someone doing what you said, their opponent calling a judge over. "He said he opted out of Enhances!" "No, I never did. I just said I was passing my Enhances...".
    hay guise, im ofishul

Oldschool Deck articles! I II III IV V

Quote Originally Posted by Tagrineth View Post
    I don't believe this is necessary, but you need to make it clear to your opponent if they do the "I'm not playing Enhances just play it out" thing that they need to follow standard procedure.

How hard is it to just say "pass" to signal to your opponent that you aren't playing an E?

You're absolutely right though, in light of stuff like Refusing to Let Go and Survivalist ("Is that your last Enhance? Cool, I'll R...) and the fact that those abilities are meant to be able to be played around (using less bonuses than expected, etc.), people should not be effectively cheating by shortcutting.

I've personally lost games to having Dust in the Wind and waiting for the 'perfect' speed bonus only to have my opponent pass and force me to over commit resources into blocking because they didn't use their strongest speed increase yet.

It's not a minor aspect of the game we're talking about here.

I don't think there should be an "opt out" option though because there's a REALLY big he said / she said ruling nightmare waiting to happen. Someone doing what you said, their opponent calling a judge over. "He said he opted out of Enhances!" "No, I never did. I just said I was passing my Enhances...".
    Thats why I say incorperate it as a mechanic like turning you character a different way or placing it in a different area. That way moving it would be no different from untapping a foundation randomly
    Top 8 at 2011 uk standard nationals -jin
    3rd place 2012 uk legacy nationals - nakoruru
    3rd place 2013 uk legacy nationals - lilith
    my trade thread http://forums.jascogames.com/forums/...s-trade-binder.

Opposite to Tag's experience, I've legit won games by strategically shipping attacks weaker than they could be because my opponent was sitting on an Out of Control Giant. Ive always build my decks and centered my playstyle around my opponents control elements. It's why even if my opponent gets into a pass loop, I still always go "yours?" after each enhance and even remind them that they have tech that Im worried about/waiting for them to use if they seem like they're doing so annoyedly. Like "You have Refusing to Let Go that I keep expecting you to use" and they'd sometimes say "oh , right".

The problem is that its legit cheating. I always pay attention to where all of my opponents speed and damage buffs are coming from before I Refusing, or Survivalist. When you take an enhance, and then immediately go "ok thats it", thats your opponent passing their enhance followrd by you passing your enhance, making it the block phase. When your opponent decides to retroactively take an enhance or worse, react to the enhance you did before passing, they're reacting to info they shouldnt have. Either theyre breaking ths rule wherein the attack is to transition to the block phase, or theyre missing a reaction trigger thats 2 steps too late.

I understand making a tangible rule so that newer players can have a shorthand, but there's already a way to call that person out for breaking the rules if theyre trying to cheat. Granted, its also possible for them to play the "they never gave me a chance to enhance!" card, which is why I always make them physically pass enhance.
    Metal Blade!
    Metal Blade!
    Metal Bla-

Head Judge
    Opposite to Tag's experience, I've legit won games by strategically shipping attacks weaker than they could be because my opponent was sitting on an Out of Control Giant.
    I've done that one way more. Even back in the early days, baiting out or at least playing around stuff like Idyllic Kamui Kotan was a thing.

The DitW thing was just the most recent example I could think of.
    hay guise, im ofishul

Oldschool Deck articles! I II III IV V