Thread: Mike's UK Nationals 2017 Report - Scrub Tier Singles / 1st Place Teams

Mike's UK Nationals 2017 Report - Scrub Tier Singles / 1st Place Teams

Thought I would post a little something in regards to my UK Nationals 2017 experience, I haven’t done something like this in a while so please bear with me and I apologise if this sucks.

Singles started for me months ago when I began playing Saiki properly with the release of Blood Omen, I have tinkered with him numerous times since release but the release of Fort Negley Restored really was the piece he was missing. So began the long process of testing and getting comfortable with the deck, now between the release of Blood Omen and UK Nationals several things happened, the game became ridiculously fast and turn 2 and even turn 1 kills became the norm; anyone who knows me should know that I like to be able to sit down with someone for a while and get to interact with them, winning comes second it is the interaction with the opponent that comes first for me. Anyway many of these problem cards were banned and Street Fighter was released, shortly afterwards Champion Batch IV was released.

As a group we began extensively testing with Street Fighter and Champion Batch IV as we accurately predicted that there would not be another release between then and UK Nationals at the end of September (something I wholeheartedly wish we were wrong about). So I was settled on Saiki and that was that, now just to help the rest of the group prepare, Grant was easy he was going to play himself and everyone else slowly made their decisions. Dave was the most difficult as he had no clue and wanted to make sure he played a “real deck” this year after coming top 4 for the last 2 years with Sie and Eva**. As a joke I suggested Eva** Technical Sphere + Rekkashinken to create infinite damage. Well this was possibly the worst decision I could have made as Dave took the idea and ran with it. This became the deck that I felt I needed to beat to stand a chance… and I couldn’t consistently do it so it was back to the drawing board.

As time went on I learned that not only was Garett attending but also 4 other Americans were making the trip this year. Well this was the UK playgroups time to shine and finally show the US players that the UK was not “free”. I decided that screw it if I can’t beat Dave I will just beat everyone else and was back on the Saiki hype train. This was my second mistake as I shortly learned that Kevin Broberg was attending and likely to be playing Saiki. Now I am not one to shy away from a diversity battle, but I didn’t think it would be fair of me for someone to travel this far and then diversify them out of the tournament. If the UK was going to put up a fight they would have to do it without diversity as a crutch to keep people out of it.

So the night before the event we go out for drinks. I get home and decide to build a new deck, I had been thinking for a little while about how great Death Slash Man could be, especially considering he is relatively open ended and could quite easily side into Grant (the character I would have played if Grant wasn’t playing it). This was mistake number 3, whilst building the deck I was discussing it with Clint about card choices and he gave me a bunch of good ideas, my mistake however was thinking he could seal foundations and assets… Oops…

Oh well morning of the event I meet with some of the guys for breakfast, test the deck against Nathan and his Dr Wily** and lose game 1 when I don’t respond then win game 2 when I do respond and lose game 3 with no particular way out. Now I’m feeling bad about my decision and wish I could do something about it. Well off to Patriot we go.

We arrive at Patriot and I get into a fluster because the box full of cards to lend out to a couple of people had disappeared (I later found out it had fallen out of my bag when I was packing the night prior) but I was pretty annoyed that I had let people down and was not a good start to the day.

Round 1 vs Damon – Order Guile
    Damon was entering at my request and doesn’t really play the game anymore he just enters to hang out see some people for the day.
    Game 1 goes long I manage to seal his Unspoken Feelings / remove them from the game with Sinister Malevolence and eventually grind out a kill.
    Game 2 I sided into Grant to try and get the quick win but it went terribly and time was called before we could finish.

Record
    1-0

Round 2 vs Phil – Life T. Hawk
    Phil is a local guy and the T. Hawk list was one I put together a while ago to see how he worked, he liked the look of it and asked if he could build it.
    Game 1 I get out a Jurassic Jungle and it all escalates from there, he can’t deal damage with his throws and can’t T. Hawk to make me flip / discard. I eventually grind him out and get the win.
    Game 2 I stick as Slash Man thanks to the pacing and he just doesn’t draw attacks I go in for a big kill turn backed by Pulled My Trigger and edge him out.

Record
    2-0

Round 3 vs Grant – Death Grant Padley
    Well I knew this was coming and knew it wasn’t going to be easy, if there is one person in this tournament that has played as / against Grant more than anyone other than Grant it would be me.
    Game 1 I know what to look out for and hold the appropriate blocks but I could not find the necessary speed reduction and eventually die in a long game.
    Now this is where the stupidity sets in we are playing with the same sleeves and almost identical decks rather than grab my remove from game pile I grab his, shuffle and then start to side. We notice before it is too late and fix this but the damage is done we start game 2 but time is called before I can get the kill.

Record
    2-1

Round 4 vs Jonathan – Air Lord Raptor
    I love Jonathan we always have a laugh when we play and even when the stakes are as high as the loser being unable to make top cuts it is still fun and never any hard feelings.
    Game 1 he goes relatively long and he eventually gets me with double Ultimate Undead into Bear Bites and probably something else it is hard to remember the actual games rather than the nonsense we were talking.
    Game 2 I side in a bunch of cards I think will help… they don’t I die and that is me out of contention. I don’t really mind it means I can relax, enjoy my last match and watch finals, which at this point I find more fun than playing them.

Round 5 vs Michael – Death Scorpion
    I’ve met Michael at a couple of events now but never had the opportunity to sit down across from him yet, he always has something cool to play from what I have seen and this was no exception.
    Game 1 Goes fairly long he builds momentum, I discard his momentum there was one point where he blocks with a Skull Barrier and reverse which I block with a Skull Barrier and reverse which he then blocks and reverse with a Matador Turn… we spend a couple of minutes remembering whose turn it is and then carry on, I eventually grind it out with a 15+ damage Egg Drop… I think.
    Game 2 I side into Grant as the additional health and being able to search out attacks should help me a little more. This goes much quicker he hits me a few times and builds a couple of momentum and I finish him off with a 12 damage Dragonflare that burns him for 4.

Record
    3-2

So I ended positive with a deck I felt uncomfortable with after getting a chance to play it. By the end of the day I really liked it and will definitely look at refining it and maybe bringing it to an event somewhere down the line maybe even US Nationals in Atlanta.

If anyone is interested in the Slash Man decklist I’m sure I can dredge it up from somewhere and post it here if need be.

Teams
    Last year after myself Baz and Dave won Teams we were all sat in the pub and myself, Grant and Dan Austin decided that we were going to team together to try and finally get Dan to the top of the mountain.

We spent months deciding what to play, Dan was settled on Bass and Grant on himself, I was constantly changing who I was going to play switching between Saiki, Vega, Honda, Sakura and a number of other characters. Eventually it came to the end of Singles and we were all sat in Pizza Hut and I asked them what I should play, they both decided on Saiki so I went home and built some 75 card untested monstrosity trying out a bunch of tech cards I had never played with before.

Now that we had our decks we needed the most important part a team name. We decided that we were going to be The Pedo Beard (Grant had a bit of a lumberjack pedo beard going on at the time), The Baddie (I’m bad at this game) and The Big Guy (Dan is a mountain of a man), unfortunately the store decided that team names needed to be P.G. this year so we became the P.G. Beard, the Baddie and the Big Guy.

Round 1 Vs The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Ricky, Rio & Sam) (Vega, E. Honda & Sakura)
    We roll the legendary Grant Padley piggy dice and they win the roll. Immediately they pair Vega into Bass. We take a moment and decide it should be Grant vs Honda and Saiki vs Sakura.

Game 1 Goes pretty awful, I am getting bodied by throws and end up around 7 health, I decide something risky and block with a Skull Barrier on a throw taking me to 4 but opt not to reverse with it as I have 2 momentum and Sam has a rhythmic Fighting Style in paly to remove it. Thankfully she just builds and we get to my turn, I’m sat at 3 vitality with a Negley in my discard pile. I decide to go balls to the wall and first f it into play. If I don’t win this turn I lose anyway, I start with The Hunt for Spiders and Dragons into a Cowboy Battery flipping the Surveyor in her staging area, I fill her pool with battery and negley then proceed to multiple. It hits and I respond with The Traitor’s Son to try and stack attacks so she can’t block. I reveal 1 attack and it is a MEXICAN TYPHOON, a 1 check I can’t believe my luck, if I play this right I win. We resolve the battery and she is on 14. I have a nivose and a skull barrier in hand, I play the nivose and enhance with power split to make her commit 1 of her 3 ready foundations, I was expecting a Revoke in hand so if she wanted to cancel anything she would have to commit 3 cards thanks to the amount in her pool. She opts not to leaving a dust in the wind 1 other foundation and sakura open. I enhance with nivose and she continues to pass, I make it 10 damage she passes and I pass, as soon as we pass I respond with Mathematician and she becomes a little annoyed at herself for not using Sakura’s enhance prior to this as she may have been able to block it.

Game 2 I side in throw hate deliverance and damage mitigation, unfortunately when you take 10 to the face on turn 2 you don’t have much of a chance when playing a character that burns himself. She wins in record time.

Game 3 we don’t get to finish as both Grant and Dan have just lost.

Record
    0-1
    Feeling a little disheartened we move onto Round 2

Round 2 Vs Team M.A.N. Reforged (Alan, Michael & Nathan) (Duo, Cammy & Metal Man)
    We roll the piggy dice and they win, after some deliberation they pair Cammy into Bass. We decide Saiki vs Duo and Metal Man vs Grant.

Game 1 goes pretty long lots of reversalling and removal, eventually I manage to tap down his board with power split and clog his cardpool that he can’t block and I Finale Rosso + Pulled My Trigger him out of the game.

Game 2 I side my last Nivose in and prepare for more of the same as game 1.

Both Dan and Grant pick up the wins for a full sweep.

Record
    1-1

We break for lunch and refresh in preparation for what is to come.

Round 3 Vs World Police (Kevin, Rob, Tim) (Saiki, Guile & Keith Disbro)
    Again we roll the piggy dice and lose the roll… the pigs have betrayed us I am not impressed, they pair Guile into Bass and we decide it would be best to go with the Saiki mirror since Kevin beat Grant the previous day in the same match. So we go Saiki mirror match and Grant vs Keith.

Game 1 I decide to roll my orange dice AND I WIN THE DICE ROLL, F*** the piggy dice. I opt to go first and build very poorly, fort negley 2 diff into spiders and dragons. I knew I couldn’t mulligan this hand as it has 4 attacks and a negley, whoever gets negley first is able to control the pace of the game in the mirror. Crazy things happen reversals all over the place lots of cutting ourselves for assets and eventually I edge it out with pulled my trigger, which was only fitting since it was Kevin’s card.

Game 2 Kevin bops me pretty quickly iirc not much more to say than that.

Game 3 is where it gets weird things go pretty well skull barriers and over reversals galore. I block with a badger club to see if I can get a free attack, I have a Nivose ready to go to truly ruin his day as I flip my top 4 cards I reveal a Nivose and go straight for it not letting on that I had another copy. He ends his turn pretty much committed out and low health, I draw up and have ~5 attacks in hand and it is history.

This was by far one of my favourite memories of the weekend along with drinks after teams, while at the pub Kevin proceeded to joke that “you really pulled my trigger with pulled my trigger “ which really made my day.

Grant and Dan both also won their matches.

Record
    2-1

We’re close now, win and we’re in draw and it’s a maybe.

Round 4 Vs League of Extraordinary Nations (Garett, Jack & Thomas) (Felicia, Sasquatch & Fire Man)
    This is it we roll the orange dice and WE WIN THE ROLL, F*** the piggy dice. After much deliberation we decide to pair Saiki into Felicia, the deck most likely to be able to go long against her and still have a chance at ending it. They pick Sasquatch vs Grant and Fire Man vs Bass.

Game 1 I win the roll and go first, I don’t get the best of starts but eventually am able to get back into it, between Toofis and Fight Like a Beast I am able to keep his staging area under control and eventually take him down backed by Pulled My Trigger.

Game 2 Goes a pretty similar to game 1, I have a hand ready to kill with prepare to fight nivose and the hunt for spiders and dragons, for 4 turns in a row I don’t draw a single other attack giving Garett more than enough time to stabilise and get the win.

Game 3 Garett fails his second foundation and I begin to take advantage, unfortunately my luck doesn’t hold and I can’t end it, Garett goes for a big kill turn and time is called, fortunately I was able to hold on with prepare to fight cage fighter and pulled to majigen. I draw my hand to see if it would have killed it would have, Grant and Dan both draw.

Result
    2-1-1

At this point I am pretty nervous especially considering our tie breakers were not particularly great. Thankfully we make it in at 3rd but have to play against Team Garett again.

Top 4 Vs League of Extraordinary Nations (Garett, Jack & Thomas) (Felicia, Sasquatch & Fire Man)
    We win the roll again and the same pairings happen again.

Game 1 goes completely different, Garett goes in early and gets in with 3x Hien Shipuu Ryuujen Kyaku and gets it.

Game 2 I manage to return the favour and get Garett relatively quickly before he could get to his comfort zone.

Game 3 Game 3 is going pretty evenly back and forth for several turns. I see an opening when he is on 8 with only 3 cards ready, all I have is a nivose and a cowboy battery with a pile of momentum, I play them but he manages to hard check both necessary blocks thanks to travelling performer and gets me on the back swing. Thankfully Grant and Dan manage to pull it out and it is on to the finals.

Finals Vs The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Ricky, Rio & Sam) (Vega, E. Honda & Sakura)
    Our one loss in the tournament, we know we need to win the dice roll for it to be favourable for us, unfortunately luck is not on our side, we needed to win this to pair Vega into Saiki to avoid the Bass issue as we are pretty sure at least one of Grant or Bass can take either Honda or Sakura so we should be good. However they have just won the roll and the sinking feeling is beginning to sink in when all of a sudden they decide they are pairing Vega into Saiki… WHAT?!?!?! I couldn’t believe it they just gave us the exact pairing we were hoping for. We pair Bass into Honda and Grant into Sakura which are the three pairings we wanted.

Game 1 I think Ricky wins the roll and chooses to go first, he gets a good build as do I, from turn 2 he begins to throw flash attacks and I block what I can through Vega hacks. I decide I draw 5 attacks and realise this is my only chance I have Pulled My Trigger in play so I go for it pumping all my attacks and manage to plow my way through Vega’s static.

Game 2 we side and he opts to go first and builds a Herald of Germania and some others. I get a decent build and we play around for a bit, I eventually play negley the hard way and he goes for a build turn and uses Herald, I respond with Tactical Advantage to protect the fort and go for the kill the following turn with Hyper Bomb and Finale Rosso, Ricky does the math and realises he can either block or Dodge! 1 of the rosso but will then die to the others, as the only other block in his hand was the Self Destruct he sided in that doesn’t chain with the rest of his deck.
    By this point Dan had already won his match against Honda and had walked away. We did it we managed to achieve the goal we set for ourselves last year and I couldn’t be happier to finally see Dan get to where he belongs in this game. Thank you for letting me help you get there.

This is just going to be a brief shoutout to everyone I played / got to spend time with this weekend, I love all of you and it was great to see so many new faces and hope we can continue the positive growth that has begun.

Thank you to Garett, Tim, Rob, Thomas and Kevin for coming out this past weekend and I hope you all enjoyed yourselves and that we can see you again at another event somewhere down the line.

Special congrats to Kevin for taking the title and I hope your second character is at least half as interesting as the first… and also hope it doesn’t take as long as the first one did…
    2011 UK Team National Champion
    2012 UK National Champion
    2012 UK Team National Champion
    2015 UK Extended National Champion
    2016 UK Team National Champion
    2017 UK Team National Champion

Just a washed up scrub who has to be dragged to victory these days...

Nice read Mike, but what the heck is with this - 'Now I am not one to shy away from a diversity battle, but I didn’t think it would be fair of me for someone to travel this far and then diversify them out of the tournament.'

The whole point is to diversify them out of the tournament, its half the fun!?!? Just ask Devon
    "No, no, not by the hair on my chinny chin Chin."

Maybe I'm just an idiot then, and if you question me again I might have to smash you in the plums ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Doji_Mike View Post
    However they have just won the roll and the sinking feeling is beginning to sink in when all of a sudden they decide they are pairing Vega into Saiki… WHAT?!?!?! I couldn’t believe it they just gave us the exact pairing we were hoping for. We pair Bass into Honda and Grant into Sakura which are the three pairings we wanted.
    Ricky figured if he paired himself into Saiki with all his attacks having flash that Saiki wouldn't be able to add in the Negleys to disrupt, but know we know, that wasn't the case.
    2018 UK Teams Champion (card in the making)
    2015 UK Teams Champion "Death Charge"
    1st Place - Sheffield PTC
    1st Place - Doncaster PTC
    And a bunch of tops scattered about my record.

Join the UFS Discord, everyone else is here waiting for you! https://discord.gg/2ZfxH5

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleMountain View Post
    Ricky figured if he paired himself into Saiki with all his attacks having flash that Saiki wouldn't be able to add in the Negleys to disrupt, but know we know, that wasn't the case.
    Thing is Saiki runs reversals so even if the attacks are flash I could still have clogged, although I couldn't really afford to do that as I needed to block too much. It definitely wasn't free and it definitely wasn't easy and if I didn't get slightly lucky with him not drawing enough attacks it could have definitely gone a different way.

He did explain the reasoning to me, but like when you won death charge and took the same first pairing both times it would have been a little safer in my opinion. I know he said he was a little rattled after playing against Dan the round before though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doji_Mike View Post
    Thing is Saiki runs reversals so even if the attacks are flash I could still have clogged, although I couldn't really afford to do that as I needed to block too much. It definitely wasn't free and it definitely wasn't easy and if I didn't get slightly lucky with him not drawing enough attacks it could have definitely gone a different way.

He did explain the reasoning to me, but like when you won death charge and took the same first pairing both times it would have been a little safer in my opinion. I know he said he was a little rattled after playing against Dan the round before though.
    I think it's fine to play Flash into Saiki, but it requires you to have access to High Seas Adventure or Scorned Beauty and prioritize getting out those cards, or to be Quick Man (assuming Air).

The theory is sound, but there's more to it than just playing Flash.
    2014 UK Teams Champ
    2016 World Teams Champ
    Garett's personal butler and mid-boss
    Self-proclaimed God of the Happy Feet

Join us on Discord for live UFS chat:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/63dRYmx

He definitely had high seas, not sure about scorned, I know both games high seas was my first pick for a spiders flip