Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dutís US Nationals 2017 Report - Canít Block my own Stoyle (without blocks)

Dutís US Nationals 2017 Report - Canít Block my own Stoyle (without blocks)

The most important thing about this weekend is Olexa came back and played Vega to a top cut finish. Best part of my weekend was seeing him do well with the character he loves!!! 2nd best part was the numbers, 90+ is awesome especially since so many high profile players werenít thereÖ on that note,

The worst part of the weekend was no Rob Snyder. Seriously, Iím thinking this guy keeps getting better, despite being in the same rut as some other baddies I know and still playing the same 5hs whenever things get realÖ

Congrats to Dan Hughes! I knew heíd win a singles event soon after the crutch that was Kim was gone, and he started playing altogether more well-rounded characters. That said, the discard your hand thing is still a gimmick, even if it is an age-old one stemming from legacy, and one that is not nearly as relevant now than it was thenÖ but I digress.

Athena has won many events now, so letís take a walk down memory lane. The ĎSilent Assassiní Athena was developed by Tim Keefe, him calling it a railgun, and made its competitive debut in September of 2014 (Detroit and then Monroe). The era was Piercing Howl, and his first stab at it was a failing one. However, you would not be entirely wrong to say Tim Keefeís decks have won the last two cardboard championships stateside, his Pharaoh Man in Spring and now his all-grown-up Athena in the Fall. The event was, Michigan PTC, and Tim showed up into a group of Huitzil loving loonies playing as an Athena that dropped Silent Assassins and tried to hit you with P Howl. I was one of the Huitzil loonies, daring to fight Ben Shoemaker for diversity with a 70+ card Huey that didnít main-board Piercing HowlÖ I know, I was trying to prove some points here. http://jascogames.com/forum/forums/s...troit-PTC-2014 http://jascogames.com/forum/forums/s...op-8-Decklists http://jascogames.com/forum/forums/s...roe-PTC-report

In any case, even though Tim didnít win with his Athena I knew P Howl and not being able to block was, well, busted as all hell. So when I went to the UK for my follow-up from 2013 dominance, I decided I would play his baby, teach it some tricks, and very likely win an event with it. I couldnít play Athena in singles because I needed to Birch on Brits more, creating storylines is more important than actually winning for me and has been for years. After winning with Birch in singles I could quite happily play as Athena in singles, show Tim his deck had legs despite his abysmal play, carry Devon to cardboard, and all that good stuffÖ And thus is the story of Athenaís first cardboard, babyís first steps I should say. The result is Squishy Wizards, a card that sees some very niche play nowadays, but with some of the best looking team champs on it in the game! Devon sans scarf, Kevin the Brit, and of course, yours truly in squishy form ^^ http://jascogames.com/forum/forums/s...nationals-2014

From there, I continued to revise Athena. Especially after Piercing Howl was banned and Rain Flush was released. I decided Ė ĎHey, I can play this with a somewhat clear conscience again!' Note I have always referred to Rain Flush's enhance as 'the cheating enhanceÖí Sadly, every time I brought my revised Athena to an event it ended up being the lend-out. In 2015 I leant the update to Jack Hale who bombed in New Orleans in May, I came second in that event playing Elisabeth. Later in the year it was leant out to Jack again, and Matt Maffei finishing third with it http://jascogames.com/forum/forums/s...lanta-PTC-2015 While Matt played it again at Gencon that year, Jack moved on to playing Ďasí Tim Keefe (together with Kevin Broberg), for the reasons a) I revolutionized the character with a 2nd place finish in Scotts Valley that year and b) Tim was about to rotate.

We should all remember what Athena was all about in 2016, Broberg came up with the assets version, and the term Ďhonest Athenaí was coined by Tag, she was also played by Bryce heavily during this era. She again won cardboard with the former as played by Kevin at worlds that year. http://jascogames.com/forum/forums/s...mpionship-2016 Flash forward to 2017 and Ryan Pham literally made a career (joined Jasco) out of Athena, taking Shaneís updated honest Athena version to the San Antonio PTC earlier this year http://jascogames.com/forum/forums/s...tonio-PTC-2017

Iím pretty sure I can speak for Tim when I say we are not surprised at this characterís prolific success in UFS. Winning three pieces of card board, two teams and now a singles event. A few things have stayed the same throughout - Revokes, KKK, Laserís, Caught Red Handeds, Shopoholicís and more. Itís first cardboard success was with Piercing Howl, but Iíd actually argue it came into its own with the Mega Man set and Rain Flush + Leaf Shield + 200X + 8000Degrees. It is somewhat fitting my run at this event was ended by a character Iíve won cardboard with previously and one that I added Rain Flush to first, following which I never got to play it as at any eventsÖ sigh, canít even match my own Stoyle. So, on to the report!~

Teams Ė Team ĎBodied by LAXí, Garett, Mark L and Devon aka Calgaryís only Hope Ė playing Death Vega, Air Felicia, and Death Saiki respectively

Our name was going to be the Brett family dungeon, but Devon and Mark wanted to reminisce over the experience I gave them coming back from Vegas in MayÖ Little did I know that meant they actually wanted to continue to get bodied all event!!!

We went into teams wanting to win, so we decided to all play our best decks. I hadnít lost with my Vega (except to nut draws from Devonís Saiki version) in all rounds tested and I was fairly confident I could beat anything in an untimed round if I drew at least 1 Self Destruct before turn 4.

Round 1 vs. Team Vegas, eventual winners Ė Ryan playing Saiki, Brandon playing Keith D, and (of course) Chris playing Raptor

We won the die roll, and we had planned for Devon to kill all of the fake Saikiís with his Ďrealí one. So proceeded to pair that way. The thought was Iíd be fed to Raptor, and even though that is a horrible Vega matchup, Iíd be able to at least steal a tie with the Self Destruct since he probably isnít used to winning with that deck from low foundations, no stage to setup guarantee. I also thought Felicia would beat Disbro because I always beat the snot out of him with it when I play Felicia. If I got paired into Disbro for some reason Iíd have him with 4 Reactive mained, I was paired into Disbro in the next roundÖ and I was comfortable with that analysis in hindsight. Basically, being Vega I was going to get a bad matchup no matter what, since both Raptor and Keith D have control check boosts and I live off the hack.

Game 1 vs. Raptor. I knew exactly what to expect, my goal was to survive until self Destruct, ideally pulling that off just in desperation. I went 6 turns without drawing a SD. Eventually he got a guaranteed win board out including Air Tiki and I rolled over.

Game 2 vs. Raptor I at least got to go first, meaning even if I didnít get the SD I probably could defend against his bull if I found enough speed hate early. I did find 2-3 Balanced Fighters and at least one of my sided High School Sweethearts. Again, no SDÖ I defended his kill turn and bopped him in my final turn of the time/round.

I tied, Devon proved he was the real Saiki. And Mark lost. Overall tie.

0-0-1 team and personal record

Round 2 vs. Team Orange you glad you arenít wearing these ugly shirts? Ė Piglet playing Jedah, Slam playing Sasq, and Broberg playing Keith D Ė we were paired up into a team that won round 1, whatís newÖ

A lot of Keith D going around. Not really sure where that started (Iím going to guess Azeroth/Eorzea), but people really should wear protection. In any case, we lost the die roll and either Kevin was paired into me or Piglet paired into Devon, pretty sure these people know that bonuses to control checks help against Vega and that was it, but Piglet was seemingly wanting to chomp on Devon or something. In either case, we wanted Felicia into Sasq because Felicia could keep him off foundations and flip down his meaningful ones sooner than the rest of us.

Vs. Kevin I did see Self Destructs, and Self Destruct I did. So much so that he played Crit split on me 2+ times in the game. The last time he played it on me he could have had game because he also drew/crafted into what I assume was his only 1 OOYL. He used it to cancel the Prepared multiple removal though, meaning he didnít hit me for half. Of course I blocked all multiple copies of the Crit Split and won. I then proceeded to kill him with some despo kicks. Iím pretty sure our game 1 was all we had time for because of the many SDís.

Sadly, Devon lost to Piglet, but what really sucked was Slam beat Mark, our desired pick losing we lost as a team.

0-1-1 team record, 1-0-1 personal record

Round 3 vs. Team Button Tag Ė Tomohawk Man playing Buttons, Tag playing netdeck.garett.dec., and guy playing GutsMan (sorry, even though we played poker together too I canít remember your name!!!)

After telling everyone I could beat all three of them, they won the die roll and told Tomahawk Man to eat Felicia. I thinkÖ I told Devon we just needed to pick a match he could win because I was definitely going to win either. He said he could control Elisabeth, had played against it a lot, and I felt his agro Saiki would be fine against her since she reversaled and he clogged pool, its hard to reversal with clog in pool. He also had Spiders and could get Second Chance.

That left me with Guts Man. Which was Evil and threw some cool Gyro Man stuff around at me, clearing the foundation/cost piece with the Gyro mechanics. He drew a bunch of cards, stunned me a lot, but I blocked everything always. Eventually, I let him put me to desperation so I could free kill him with kicks. Game 2 was pretty much the same, by this time I had collected all the data there was and he just couldnít hit me.

Sadly, Devon canít even beat decks that originate in Calgary. And Mark, the free win against Tomohawk Man (he canít block, as Felicia you just free win him to death), lost as well. WTF, Iíll be 100% honest, this is worse than losing to Cupcakes, this is losing to a game of Tag while pricking yourself with a button.

0-2-1 team record, 2-0-1 personal record

Round 4 vs. the team I helped become 3 Ė Danny playing Goro (snore, am I still in 2014), Nick playing Snake Man (!!! They still exist???), and Hayden playing Shen

We lost the die roll again, and they paired Goro into SaikiÖ I think. I didnít want to play Snake Man because I didnít want to fall asleep bored, plus I had just had 5 beers to drown the losing to Cupcakes sorrow and thought Hayden would be the most understanding of my situation. Felicia isnít supposed to lose to Snake Man, and Saiki doesnít have to block Goro, he defends by card pool cloggingÖ I beat Shen pretty easily, keeping him on low foundations with Vega is good because he needs to R Commit 1 to do thingsÖ I was confident weíd finally get a win.

Shen was Life, which was weird for me, I think I expected Death. It threw a bunch of Angel attacks at me, but even though I was burning, he was getting SDíd. I got him to a point where he had a horrible SD rebuild and I had a good one. I couldnít draw attacks for a while, but I could block everything forever. Eventually I drew into double Cowboy Battery and won game 1. In game 2 he tried to do as much as he could but eventually ran out of time.

Sadly, Devon canít beat a deck he beat the crap out of in practice, Mark canít even beat Snake Man (omg), and even though I dominate Shen we lose.

0-3-1 team record, 3-0-1 personal record

Round 5 vs. Married with UFS and Omahaís lady is the kid Ė Omahaís lady playing Bass, Garrison playing Sakura, and the wife playing something that Iím pretty sure still beat Mark

At this point, Iíve been playing to see if Mark and Devon can win for a while now. They won the die roll and fed Sakura to me. Saiki got to face Bass and Mark faced off against whatever it was that beat him some more.

I 2-0íd the Sakura, I was hit by a throw it down attack but that was it, and we were done two games in like 15 mins.

Mark lost, and we were waiting to see if Devon could win and weíd finally get a win. I canít remember what happened, but Iím going to say he lost.

0-3+-1+ i.e. it doesnít MATTER what happened here in round 5!!! 4-0-1 personal record.

That was teams. Please send sympathy cards direct to Garett Brett @ wishes he teamed with players that donít lose to things that are worse to lose to than cupcakes .com

I decided to drink some more and fine tune Grant for what I knew would be an auto top cuts entry.
    Last edited by dutpotd; 10-25-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    "No, no, not by the hair on my chinny chin Chin."

My Grant deck is posted online, as it came 5th. It is the largest deck Iíve ever run with, 87 cards, but is built that way to get the ratios right vs. the see 9+ cards a turn form as well as getting 1 of 3 Bird of Prey soon. I suffered a loss in singles, to a deck I wasnít prepared for, and lost in top cuts to a deck I had only a small chance against because of a decision not to side certain thingsÖ Garrison and Mike Hardiman can attest to me wanting 4 Self Destruct for my sideboard, the concern was I needed something to combat decks that just Ďwoní if they built the right staging area, in particular things like Raptor, Athena, and new to this list the Heidiís without attacks. Timely Self Deestructs is my answer to these types of things. I made a last minute audible and decided, there was a higher chance for me to actually need more attacks and a 7th handsize for events like Bass (and also covers a little Athena), and I went with the Slash Man + attacks side. Long story short I sided to help swiss, but not to help untimed rounds, straddling the fence the wrong way saw me ultimately lose to Athena, but I wasnít without a chance at least.

Round 1 vs. Jacob Masur and his Death Blanka

Believe it or not this was a bad matchup for me, Blankaís pretty much always get +2/+2 against me, because 72/87 of my deck is non-attacks. To make matters worse Jacob drew and played all 4 Spiders and Dragons against me in game 1. I did manage to hold on and block just enough to survive while getting in a few reversals. I ended up killing him with some Robert kick when the opening appeared.

Game 2 we played a few turns but he didnít have what it took to win the game and I won when time was called.

1-0-0

Round 2 vs. Danielle playing Water Yamato Man

I thought this was going to be a Crit Split deck, but it turns out it was a Lilith-esque clone. Basically, it gave up the attack loop for the control elements and ran throws, lots of damage pump and tried to kill you with high speed high damage attacks. The problem was a lot of this damage revolved around the Death Charge asset, meaning a lot of checks and self mill.

In game 1 Danielle got off to an interesting start, building well but with none of the foundations being very valuable, i.e. a lot of spam. I was caught off guard a bit by the types of things she was throwing, but figured out how to defend about halfway through her first string. Dodge came to my rescue a few times and I eventually double Robert Kicked to end the game.

Game 2 she got to go first and got a MUCH better start, with her own control pieces and the asset early. The bad thing for her was she mulliganned. Her deck wasnít big enough and I defended well enough so that when she finally crafted a hand capable of hurting me it was too late as sheíd mill out of continuing to use Death Charge. I defended and she scooped at time seeing as how she was going to run out of cards/deck on draw.

2-0-0

Round 3 vs. Matt Maffei playing Air Raptor

I had already faced Raptor once this weekend, with my Vega deck though. I didnít know what I was in for, but it was bad checks and crazy turns early. My hand gave me a happy feet combo game one turn 2 and I attacked 3 times, reversal and then the attack attack combo. I left him at 3, checking a 1 on an attack that I hope/think would have finished me off. I was still at full and he had no way to get damage from card pool clear. That didnít matter, he had a Hell Dunk and attacked me 6 times with 2 review proc, I dided to his turn 2 backswing.

I sided out one of the 1 checks, the Inferno I checked to win game 1. Sadly I checked 1 again when attacking him turn 2Ö leaving me vulnerable but not in too deep vs. a backswing. The game got really crazy from there, with us both having and then not having turns where weíd win if drawing into the right stuff. I made some hardcheck blocks to survive a turn, and eventually won it near time.

It was not my goal to get into attack crazy games with Raptor, I had wanted to get out Hatred of Autumn, lock down his ability to card pool clear and go from there. My deck didnít want to cooperate with my plan and hence I ended up with a tie.

Itís not every day you escape with a tie after checking 1s two games in a row, this was one of them though and so far this was my most memorable match for its crazy turn 2 kills and bizarre staying alive moments.

2-0-1

Round 4 vs. Drew Maffei playing Chaos Blanka

Paired up into a 3-0 and great, another markedly bad matchup Ė sure, all of your opponentís attacks get +2/+2, sounds fair. And against a Atlanta pro player. Drew came at me hard after winning the die roll, hitting me a lot on his turn 2 and then leaving me at 2ish health after his turn 3. I had no choice but to try to kill him on my turn three and my deck agreed, drawing into a second Nivose, I kept one in hand from the turn beforeÖ I also had Original Legends and Cunning. I attacked with Nivose, then attacked with Nivose, turned the first one face down and added it to hand, then killed him with a third Nivose. I donít think I did anything wrong he remarked, I told him his mistake was attacking me.

Game 2 he went first again and continued to leverage the fact he got free momentum and +2/+2 on everything. I was in a bad spot until I drew a Prototype turn 3. I played it down, got momentum from a single poke he didnít full block, and then waited for him to overcommit into me with Nivose in hand. The problem was he had a lot of free enhances on his side of the field, the Cammy zonal enhance card and others. I just barely got the Nivose to 21 and killed him even with Wall of Goro, him at 18.

Apparently I sent both Maffeiís to the bottom tables with these rounds, not an unusual event or anything, but I do regret beating up on a whole family.

3-0-1

Round 5 vs. Don Hartfield playing Chaos Keith D

I had seen this guy floating up around top tables, and he was 4-0, I was at table 3 paired up into him with the 3-0-1. Jeremy Ray was also 3-0-1 and needed me to win or at least tie to help him get a foothold on diversity and I knew I would do him a favor, my deck was (unlike the day before) in a good place against momentum heavy decks because I could block multiples, punish attacking with reversals, and had reusable ways to discard momentum with Soba Freak.

This was a wall game, even though he won the die roll, he didnít draw enough attacks turn 2 and 3 and instead built himself. I wasnít ahead on build by much even though I did get a Bird of Prey turn 4 or so. Eventually he started going in against me, but I was very careful not to let him get any ground, it was especially important for me to keep him off 2 momentum because I didnít want to get Barriered if and when I decided to go in. Eventually, as my Nivose decks are designed to do, I arrived at lethal on board, and with enough speed and control to eliminate a block. However, I misplayed heavily, resolving Prototype before resolving two Travelling Performers, losing 2 speed in the process and allowing him to block with a Skull Barrier on a 5 check which he hard checked to do. Thankfully, I too am good at defending, and left enough up to survive his backswing. Eventually I crafted another hand of attacks and killed with two three Robert Kicks, an Inferno and Slash Claw.

This was an epic game, I was quite mad at myself for not knowing how to play Nivose, but it worked out and to my advantage, not leaving him with time to play a game 2.

4-0-1

Round 6 vs. Chris Nixon playing Void Dhalsim

I had expected an Air Dhalsim to show up, not this monster of a bs deck that was burn heaven. I knew I had to block everything to not take a ton, what with his +2/+2 and +2 burn. Sadly for me he got to go first and played 3 Portal Barriers followed by attacking me with 3 attacks. 2 I could block, mind you I took 3+ doing so (because of Napalm burn stuff). The third attack is what really did me in, Rolling Cutter. FML. I knew then my only chance of winning was getting to two Soba to get rid of it looking at me face up from his momentum. I played as defensively as possible, because I was low on vitality, and the Stretch Kicks and Naplam things kept putting me lower. I also made an aggressive mistake and took a hit hoping to draw into a backswing turn the next, which I didnít. In any case, I eventually got down to 2 health from burn but got to the second Soba. I knew I could now attack him but the only way I was getting through 3 Athenaís Knights, 3 Portal Barriers, and 4 Dalhsim -2/-2s was if he didnít also Revoke two things. He had a hand of two Revoke and my final Robert Kick did not do the destruction it needed, I left him at 3 and he killed me the next turn.

I sided in all of the attacks and went first. I attacked like a madman turn 2, not building much or playing it safe. I got him down a bit and got momentum, I was right where I wanted. Sadly, his turn 2 he also had a lot of attacks, and I had to try to Dodge one, I checked a 1 on my Dodge and the rest is history.

I had never got to play against Chris before, but I knew from chats with him that he was one of the best from Omaha, and definitely one of UFSí rising stars. He proved me right in our games and I was back in a position where I needed to win to clinch a spot in top cuts.

4-1-1

Round 7 vs. Devon playing (my) Death Vega

Devon, having done so poorly with Saiki decided to play a Garett-deck in singles to restore his faith in himself. It worked, he only lost to Cammy that checked running 6s, and had a great time playing my crazy Self Destruct deck. Olexa had already intentionally drew with the Eva that ended up getting DQíd anyways for illegal deckÖ Um, so it didnít matter to Devon, if he won heíd be 5-1-1 vs. Olexaís 5-0-2 and be diversified by a point. That said he wanted to beat me badly, even though it was my deck. I wanted to see what deck was better, I had a feeling it was Vega.

Game 1 I knew I wanted to play aggressively and with as many low zone attacks as possible, forcing him to block with Cowboy Batteries or Spiders and Dragons. I did just that and even though he Self Destructed once, I was able to push through with some hard checks.

Game 2 everything when right for him going first. He got out 3 Hizoku Prince and Self Destructed over and over, putting them back in the deck with Seeking Information to troll me. He eventually put together a free win of a hand with Cowboy Batteries and took it.

Game 3 I knew he was going to mess around and then lose, since he was feeling very diversified. He did just that and I got the match.

5-1-1 record, good enough for 6th place going into top 16.

Top 16 match vs. 11th place, Slam (Marc W) playing as Earth Sasquatch

I pretty much knew I needed to win this. To avenge Mark for his teams loss. To avenge my lack of topping last US nats (Marc beat me with KimÖ so annoying). But most of all because there were still a bunch of Omaha and other players I couldnít let past the gate yet. Slam winning cardboard was fine, but I didnít have faith in him going all the way with such a straightforward deck.

Game 1 I got to go first, and believe me when I say that is important against Sasquatch. Sadly I didnít draw any speed reduction at all until some Travelling Performers my turn 3 or 4. I blocked half of his attacks on his turn 2 and 3 respectively, taking about 16 loss and hovering around 11ish. From here I had the decision to try to kill him or create the perfect defense and ensure he couldnít kill me, going in when guaranteed to win the game. I opted for the latter, walled up, outbuilt, and after getting my Chun Li foundation out determined I could kill him with 3 low zone attacks.

Game 2 he sided in some nasty cards for me, some that hurt drawing and my Bird of Prey, and some to just mess up my blocking strategy, namely he put in his own Low Zone attacks. He caught me off guard with a turn 4 where he attacked with 2 back to back Spine Sweeps and that was that.

Game 3 I knew going first I could do it, but since he had sided it wouldnít be as easy. I built up the wall that couldnít be taken down, being much more careful to identify what he could attack me with and when. Eventually I got many Robert Kicks and enough momentum generation to resolve two and take the win.

Iíve played Slam a few times now, and we are pretty even I think, but he has beat me a number of times (many players canít say that) so I was worried. This match replaced the most epic of the weekend for me, as it was a true control and offense match settled by zone fakes, risks, and rewards. I felt bad because I knew he wouldnít win teams the next day eitherÖ but you know, thatís what you get when you play Sasquatch without Kyakuretskuyaku and Kikosho while wearing an orange shirt.

Top 8 match vs. Dan playing as Void Athena

I had a feeling he was playing her gimmick symbol and not her best one, which is Good right now. And for that reason I knew I had a chance to win this, I just needed to play the odds and come out with the averages. Sadly that was not meant to be, but that doesnít mean I wouldnít take the same bet again if given it.

He won the die roll game 1 and went first, this put me on a back foot but I still decided it was important to wear down his Athena Knights or force him to block with his hand crafting cards, as is I got the Knights and some momentum. I also got rid of one of his two Caught Red Handedís with my Spiders. I had two Templar in hand, and two Hatred of Autumn out as well as Ever Hopeful. And I think he knew he had to go in soon or Iíd get too much out in the way of draw and answers, possibly getting more Caught Red Handedís with Spiders, etc. He did the math and figured he could kill me. I did the math and knew he could kill me if I didnít get to resolve Templar OR I did get to resolve Templar but didnít draw at least a mid block, an on zone block would be best but I determined I could live with a mid and a halfer. He messed up the turn sequence, but got lucky and hit a 2/3 Templar with assassin. Nonetheless, because of his screwup I got to resolve a Templar, however I did not draw any blocks. The odds of me drawing mid or low on a single draw was 2/3 of 2/3 or 4/9. Therefore the odds of me not drawing the right block was 5/9, and not drawing it twice was 5/9 X 5/9. In other words he had a 25/81 chance Iíd not draw the right block with two tries, and I had a 56/81 chance I would. 69% is a bad number and I lost with those odds. He had no more attacks, and he was fully committed in, as Grant pretty much any attack and I would have punished on backswing or over-stabilized, him having used all of his Caughts but it was not meant to be.

Game 2 I knew I had to side into a 7hs to make his job harder, increase the chance I could draw many attacks and rush him down sooner, forcing him to block with attacks or use up his staging area on defense. I sided all 8 cards, including into Slash Man. Slash Man slowed him down, always hitting Silent Assassin, but instead of drawing attacks I drew a Templar on 1, kept it, 2 and kept 2, and then the third on 3 and was needing to have to decide to review 1 of 3 Templars and try to build aggressively or attack more. The attack more wasnít an option because after turn 2 he had too much in the way of defense, heíd definitely deny an OTK. I opted to keep 3 Templars and try my chances like in game 1 with defending. Sadly he hit tech after tech that hurt me from there, Dhalsimís discard, Zangiefís discard, and went from 1 to 3 Caught Red Handeds. It got to a point where he couldnít kill me because he didnít have the hand crafted yet, and I wasnít getting anywhere but knew all he needed was the attack hand (he had enough Caughtís and other discard). I debated going in with a Robert Kick either blowing a Revoke or trading areas, me hitting two Caughtís if he let it resolve, him probably hitting my Ever Hopeful or Original Legends (as I had two Cunning). I hesitated, wanting one more turn to get a 4th attack in hand with before doing the Robert Kick Trade, and on his next turn he drew what he needed (maybe Laser?). He went in, and I knew I would only survive if he misplayed the control sequence again OR if he missed 3 of 5 cards in hand with Silent Assasin. He hit my Templar with his Assassin againÖ Lasered for 2 Revoke and a 2nd Silent Assasin and played the control sequence correct this time (essentially using all three caught on my 2+1 <original legend cunning> Templars, me drawing nothing. Revoking Ever Hopeful, and not falling for Caught reacting to Cunnings). And that, was that. I didnít draw what I wanted with Slash Man, instead I drew 3 Templar too early, he drew Max Laser, and got 3 Caughts out. That was the end of my tournament.

Thank you to Dan for a great match, even though I was beat 2-0, each game came down to circumstance and strong decisions were made on your side of the table from what I could tell! At this point Jray and Dan got split up so I was confident one of us Good Old Boys would win. It isnít Omahaís or Vegasí time until we decide to let you past and while I feel Chris Nixon could have taken that power away from us, he didnít ^^

Thank you for reading the report and special thanks to Jason, Sean, Shane, Mike, JT, Pham, etc. for running such an awesome event and weekend (as they also ran side events that were awesome!!!)

A look back on my performances, and I have come 3rd, 2nd, and 5th in the three singles cardboard events this year in each case being eliminated by the winner of the event. Garett7 is proving to be a little harder to win than the 6 before, I don't know if it is old age, playing funny characters/decks (Slash/Air-Vgrey/Good-Grant/Air) when I should just play Spiders/Revoke instead, or if its something else. In any case, I will keep manning the gate, and you'd better start getting better (looking at you Omaha-Vegas-Atl) if you want to be anywhere near singles cardboard anytime soon.
    Last edited by dutpotd; 10-25-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Great read as always, our match was definitely my favorite of the weekend.
    Top 4 Arkansas 2016 ptc, Void Metal Man
    Won Omaha 2016 ptc, faster Void Metal Man

Head Judge
    Tag playing netdeck.garett.dec.
    Hey now, hey now. I did not netdeck a dang thing! :P You know me and my questionable attachment to designing my own shenanigans.
    hay guise, im ofishul

Oldschool Deck articles! I II III IV V

Quote Originally Posted by Tagrineth View Post
    Hey now, hey now. I did not netdeck a dang thing! :P You know me and my questionable attachment to designing my own shenanigans.
    Uh huh, I won a ptc with Elisabeth, as far as I know it wasn't on anyone's radar until I did.

So, either prove me wrong or perhaps you just took the idea and added your own shenanigans, both work for my point that it was greatly influenced by yours truly. Obviously you didn't just copy something card for card, no one called you Shane junior :P

Head Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by dutpotd View Post
    Uh huh, I won a ptc with Elisabeth, as far as I know it wasn't on anyone's radar until I did.

So, either prove me wrong or perhaps you just took the idea and added your own shenanigans, both work for my point that it was greatly influenced by yours truly. Obviously you didn't just copy something card for card, no one called you Shane junior :P
    I played Elisabeth in our local RoT prerelease and had tinkered with her off and on for a while! XD Your PTC win encouraged me to take another look at it but I didn't even look at your list, it just made me decide to re-evaluate her viability in the meta.
    hay guise, im ofishul

I played Elisabeth in our local RoT prerelease and had tinkered with her off and on for a while! XD Your PTC win encouraged me to take another look at it but I didn't even look at your list, it just made me decide to re-evaluate her viability in the meta.
    I played with her in prerelease so any deck I play as her isn't a copy... oO

Seriously though, none of your Elisabeth decks are posted anywhere. If, say, you topped and this deck was posted somewhere. We could actually support your claim that you didn't 'even look at my list' with evidence.

As is, the players that win and have their lists surrounded in the stars/(and in the annals of history) have all the power

But yeah, glad I helped you re-evaluate her viability in the meta, and sorry you or anyone is silly enough to think she ever was not.

Head Judge
    Uh, my point was that I didn't just pick up the character and build your deck in response to your PTC win. I still haven't actually looked at your Liz list until midway through writing this post.

Other than running Cowboy Battery, Guardian Slasher, Kersplat, and Templar, along with Solid Water Foundations, our lists are preeeeeeeeeeetty different.. you can't just look at any Water Liz that runs Guardians and say it's a netdeck though :P
    hay guise, im ofishul

you can't just look at any Water Liz that runs Guardians and say it's a netdeck though :P
    I can say if you had netdecked it we'd actually be able to look at your Liz for these comparison purposes because you would have done better with it...

Yup, its not a netdeck, its a poor attempt at netdecking.

You were encouraged to take another look at a character by my build/success, but didn't actually look at the list (sounds believable). I'm just going to conclude I did most of what you tried to do with this first, and better. I can change my report to call your deck Tag playing encouraged-by-but-didn't-copy(nay, didn't even look at)garett.dec ?

ps. this is what you get for beating my butler and taking my character without asking. This is just like when that sneak played Amy in Scotts Valley when she was obviously mine. I claimed Liz way before anyone, graciously gave Danny Fung permission to play her... but other than that, if you don't request my permission you will be shamed <and put in your place at the table>
    Last edited by dutpotd; 10-25-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Nice Write up.
    There are no words for a Rider Kick. Just an EXPLOSION OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE!
    Owner and Operator of Total Justice Gaming: The first UFS fan site to bring you deck profiles and interviews from both champs and new players!

http://totaljusticegaming.blogspot.com