Thread: Dark Emperor and Reversals

Dark Emperor and Reversals

It is my turn. My opponent blocks my first attack and then plays a Reversal attack against me. Can I use Dark Emperor's R ability to cancel the Reversal? If so, what happens to the Reversal Attack? Does it stay in my opponent's card pool or does it go to his discard pile?

Thanks!

Dark Emperor reads:

R Destroy: After your opponent plays a response ability on a card in their card pool, cancel its effects.

Reversal reads:

R [Hand] Play this card as a reversal: After your opponent's blocked attack resolves, add this attack to the attack stack.

I'm curious why you'd think these interact (at face value they don't), is it because the card ends up in the card pool after being played, and therefore Dark Emperor sees the ability (cost paid and now played) and can tell the response ability was 'played' on a card in the card pool?

DE stops responses on abilities played 'on' cards in the card pool, Reversal is an r played from the 'hand' and the card it plays ends up in the card pool. I honestly don't know the answer to your question, it's a good one for the FAQ. I would lean that DE cannot stop reversal because it looks for a response ability played 'on' a card in the card pool and while the card is there in the card pool, after being played, the full response ability was not played on it (the response requirement and first part of payment was played from a card in the hand then transitional zone).

I can tell you what happens if it can stop it though. It stays in the card pool and the effect doesn't happen, meaning it doesn't get added to the attack stack.

TLDR I believe you cannot stop Reversal with Dark Emperor because while the card ends up in the card pool, the whole ability is not played on a card in the card pool. You can 100% stop card pool R's that lead you to play an attack as a reversal, like Skull Barrier though.
    Last edited by dutpotd; 09-26-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    "No, no, not by the hair on my chinny chin Chin."

I thought that there might be something to Reversal being added to the card pool first, with my opponent making a check to complete the cost at that point in time.

I can see an argument being made for either case. Personally, it just appears "cleaner" that Dark Emperor should not affect Reversals. Hopefully an official answer will be forthcoming.

Thanks for the answer!

Quote Originally Posted by KLT1963 View Post
    I thought that there might be something to Reversal being added to the card pool first, with my opponent making a check to complete the cost at that point in time.
    Well it certainly isn't added to the card pool first, they ability is played from the hand, only after its costs are paid (the card is played) is it getting to the card pool. To be clear, whenever you play a card from the hand it doesn't first get added to the card pool, then prog diff determined, then leave the pool to transit zone, and then come back to the card pool if the check is passed. The only time something similar to that would happen, would be on cards played from the card pool ala Skull Barrier (not from the hand).

The 50/50 issue I have is, when all costs are paid is when Dark Emp would respond, so technically it sees a card in the card pool at that time. The question is, can it tell the ability was played on that card if it was played from the hand? I still lean no like you, it should not effect reversals. Really good question though, I'm sure whoever decides this just took for granted it does not or does interact with Reversals and not many players have encountered it yet.
    "No, no, not by the hair on my chinny chin Chin."