Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Beginnings

New Beginnings

New Beginnings – 11/3/10
    By: Paul Bittner, 2009 Singles World Champion, Team Champion, and US Nationals Team Champion

“Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end.”
    Seneca, the younger

Like a phoenix that rises from the ashes, Universal Fighting System (UFS) is a property that refuses to die. I'm sure many of you out there remember Fantasy Flight Games' (FFG) acquisition of UFS in February 2008.

At the time, the transition from Sabertooth Games (STG), a former subsidiary of Game's Workshop, to FFG was a bit shocking, but overall welcomed by a majority of the community. Growing pains aside it didn't take long for FFG to begin designing and distributing new sets. With the eventual design of it's own IP, (Shadowar) and the later acquisition of Namco's popular Tekken license many (including myself) thought the future of the game was secure and strong heading into 2010.

[An aside, many people even to this day, don't realize how close UFS was to being potentially lost forever in 2007/2008. As early as the final months of 2007, Game's Workshop had already decided to discontinue it's affiliation with STG. Luckily for us, FFG basically came in at the 11th hour and purchased the UFS property right as it was about to be discontinued. STG was literally days away from announcing the game's end when the deal was made with FFG.]

As beneficiaries of history we know now that the successful future we hoped for at FFG turned out to be short lived as the company later discontinued the game and announced UFS' termination in December of 2009. Many, myself included believed this was the last stop for our beloved game, and I'm sorry to say that despite my very own devotion to UFS, UFS House (a UFS team) and I sold our entire collection at this time. This is a decision we would wind up regretting months later when Jason of Jasco Games once again revived UFS from the ashes.

Which, bring us to this weekend, another critical time for UFS. The Nationals Championship in Las Vegas at Neo Con serves as yet another turning point for this game that many of us have invested countless time, effort, and money into. Personally, having been through this roller coaster with you all, I will say that this has truly been a dizzying ride, but one that I'm glad to have taken part in nonetheless. Certainly, looking back at the last 4 years the highs have undoubtedly surpassed the lows.

Unfortunately, I am unable to attend this years Nationals event - the first time I've missed a major tournament since Nationals 2007 in Philadelphia. Yet despite this I am overwhelming excited. I'm excited that UFS is once again alive. I'm excited that for the first time in the game's history, a major tournament is being held west of the Mississippi. After all, if we want this game to sell across the country it needs to be supported from coast to coast in both stores and tournaments. I'm hopeful, like many of you, that this tournament will be a success and that many will come out to play and experience UFS both for the first time and the hundredth time.

Finally, and most of all, I'm excited for the future. There must be something pretty special about a game that has gone through a recession and yet purchased by three separate companies. There must be some potential there, something that everyone who knows could be great, but hasn't quite hit the mark yet. And for all that STG and later FFG did, I can't help but feel Jason is the most passionate of all the owners this game has ever had. His ambitious attitude, goals, and vision for the game have me excited and I just keep hoping deep down that his relentless effort and love for the game will make this third try a successful one. That this time around we'll be able to unlock the potential in UFS other companies have to this point failed to take full advantage of. Thus far, the development of a new IP, sponsorship with monster energy, and the pro tours have me most pumped. I know that going forward I will personally continue to do everything I can to help make this time around a success. I'm on board, 100% to see this thing through.

Here's a toast from Dayton outstretched around the world to everyone who is hoping that Vegas and the Red Horizon set are just the beginning of many good things to come.

“Look not at where we've been, but where we're going. The future in front of us and it's ours to seize. What we do now is entirely up to us.”
    Last edited by PaulBittner; 11-03-2010 at 05:15 PM.

I read all the way up til the point that he quoted Green Day and then I couldn't take it serious. LOL @ Green Day quote.
    2nd worst UFS player NA

Very good post Paul, I feel just like you. I haven't been around since the very beginning, but very close to and I know exactly how you feel. The announcement of Jasco taking over the game was one of the greatest I've seen in a long time. I just like you couldn't make the trip to Nats which is only the second major tournament I've missed since me, Olexa, J Ray, and the rest of the crew have started traveling but I'm very happy they could make it still and I can't wait to hear about all the great times they have there.

If I could leave a sound clip on here I would record myself give applause even if it was funny because this is a very good read Paul, thank you for it and to all the other UFS players, I hope you feel the same.
    UFS Team World 3rd Place 2011 (Ray Andre, Stefan Jones, Matthew McDannel) Note: Swiss Champs
    UFS Team Nationals Champion 2012 (Jeremy Ray, Phil Birch, Matthew McDannel) Note: Swiss Champs
    UFS Team World Champion 2008 & 2013 (Andrew Olexa, Jeremy Ray, Matthew McDannel)

"Not to alarm anyone, but I think Matt McDannel is a god damn Ninja!" - Drew Maffei
    "The Bear, Most consistent Teams member" - Andrew Olexa after 13 Team worlds on me being 3 of 5 with teams.

Playstation Network: GTORules

Quote Originally Posted by EscarcegaGuy View Post
    I read all the way up til the point that he quoted Green Day and then I couldn't take it serious. LOL @ Green Day quote.
    Even worse was that Closing Time is by Semisonic, NOT Green Day.

Otherwise, well said by Bittner.
    Last edited by Hatman; 11-03-2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Has a book out! Self-published, in French, but still. A book!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
    Even worse was that Closing Time is by Semisonic, NOT Green Day.

Otherwise, well said by Bittner.
    Indeed it is. Well I feel dumb for actually forgetting that. I was more focused on making fun of the fact that he mentioned Green Day in a good way.
    2nd worst UFS player NA

Ok I'm basically further derailing my own topic, but I'll place the initial blame on S Car Guy and Capman who started it!

Hatman is right that Semisonic wrote the song. However, I like green day's version better. After further review I've found that Seneca the Younger from is actually the person I should be quoting and that Semisonic stole it from him 2000 years later

There settled. =P
    Last edited by PaulBittner; 11-03-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Begin Anew...

Start Over you mean

N.J.
    NJ Spade sole survivor of the Card Gaming Dynasty known as Cookeville Corp.

Writer of Articles for TCO and Jasco Games for UFS

Achievements
    2006: 3rd place Nashville-Franklin FoP(Life X***); 2007: 18th place Murfreesboro AOP(Fire Athena2); 2008: 5th place(2nd thru swiss) Middlesboro AOP(Fire Athena2); 2009: 28th place SEC @ MTAC Mt. Juliet(Life Yuri)

Truly tot he heart article. I am sure all hardcore UFS players think the same way and are more than glad and ready to support Jasco Games as much as we can to make the game an even better one and unlock its hidden potentials in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by escarcegaguy View Post
    indeed it is. Well i feel dumb for actually forgetting that. I was more focused on making fun of the fact that he mentioned green day in a good way.
    hahahahaha