Thread: A reunion with the summer family. A Gencon tourney report.

Regular Member generalreaction2.0's Avatar

A reunion with the summer family. A Gencon tourney report.

Alright so i am usually pretty bad with tournament reports because i have a terrible time remembering names but i'll give this the old college try.
    First off I gotta start by talking about the ride up. The car consisted of myself, ATLPiglet, Matt Maffei aka SkullKnight, and Ain (the newest member of team ATL). The ride was awesome up until we hit the end of Kentucky. At this point we were hit by some sort of Typhoon (possibly the rising variety). Piglet's expert driving skills and the kindness of truckers allowed us to make it through the storm in one piece and arrive at Gencon. The first night in Indy consisted of congratulating Dave Wagoner aka Sketch on his win in Legacy as well as some dinner at the Ram. Oh and there was also a fire in the pool at our hotel. AWESOME.....
    Friday marks the arrival of the teams event and i was privileged enough to team with Cetonis and YokoCharmingFox (who carried me through teams, don't let them tell you otherwise lol). Yoko was rocking All Wall Jon Herr, Cetonis was packing that Kazayu heat, and i was playing boring ol' Vincent Grey.

Round 1 vs a California team (Team Matrix?) and Chaos Angels?
    I apologize deeply for not being able to recall the name of the gentleman i played but i am 99% sure he was playing Chaos angels. I found out this weekend that Vincent Grey actually does very very well against angels but i'll come back to that later. I don't think he saw Omneil in the games we played so that was a major bonus for me. I win the my games and Cetonis and Yoko win theirs as well so the team is off to a great start.

Round 2 vs Mini Rochester and Giggles playing Chaos Omar
    Man can the Rochester guys bring it. I knew Sean and Kevin and Christine were good but i had no idea that community had three more solid players in their back pocket. Giggles had a very strong deck and had an excellent showing all weekend, needless to say this match was tough. I recall winning game 1 by using the awesomeness that is Vincent Grey and BSK to whittle away Giggles' vitality. Game 2 he ends up taking through the power of big damage Divine Tribs and Omar. We go to a game 3 but by that time my teammates had already won their matches (carrying me even more) so my team wins the match. Giggles and i finish out game 3, which i end up taking and my team moves to 2 and 0.

Round 3 vs Team WTMROTM....It's not R*pe if you yell surprise and AJ Murray's Mike Lowe
    The term "ass-beating" is thrown around alot these days, but what AJ did to me goes far beyond that. In simple terms, his deck was f'n sick! He threw far more attacks and damage at me then my poor little good wall could ever hope to deal with and i lose the match 2-0. Unfortunately, my teammates also lose their matches (we lost the dice roll btw) and our overall record falls 2-1. AJ provides me with some napkins so i can clean myself off and regroup for the next round.

Round 4 vs Team ? and Rockstar's Life Angels deck
    Yay more angels and in this round i have to win to give my team a shot at top 4. Well, that turned out to be false as Tim and Joe both win their games and the match for us before i finish game 1. But regardless Iari (sorry about the spelling) and I had one hell of a game. He get's out Omneil which leads me to resort to my patented "wall up and don't attack into Angel Exodia" strategy; and boy did it work out. I found that the second Omneil hit the board, the best plan was to sit back and wait till he cycled through his deck before attacking him again. Ya i'm a scumbag. I get enough DR and Strange Fashion on the board to cancel out any attacking he does as i wait for him to cycle, all the while using VG's damage pump on the attacks he plays that i know i can block and not take damage from. He cycles and I start to attack into him removing more cards from his deck. Again i'm a scumbag as i end up winning our only game by milling out the Angels, but a win is a win. Our team finishes 3-1 and we move on to top 4.

Top 4 vs Team WTMROTM and Garret Brett's Amy deck
    Well we lost the dice roll again and Tim gets matched up with truong once more. However Joe and I change opponents for this match in hopes that we can win our matches while Tim is behind the 8 ball. Unfortunately i was matched up against a wizard. That's right, Garret is a wizard and his decks are works of art. If you read his tourney report, he made our games seem alot closer than they were. Game 1 is a true chess match as i try to think on the level that Garret does to try and outmatch him. Sadly i failed. He get's me down to i think 12 or 8 and passes the turn to me, and at that point i try and go in for the kill. I draw a very solid hand consisting of three attacks and i make my move. Unfortunately for me Garret was backing multiple BSKs his hand, and i left all my actions in the discard pile. I get him down to three and throw my third and final attack, which was a zing, for fatal damage. However, he blocks with snap kick and before my damage can go through he burns me for game. SAD FACE. Game 2 the wind had been taken out of my sails. I try attacking earlier but fate is not in my corner as i just can't manage to kill of Amy. I make a clutch play with Righteousness to stay alive on his kill turn, but on my next turn i see no attacks and can only wait for the inevitable. Garret attacks again on his next turn and knocks me and Team Random Encounter out of title contention.

Major props has to go to everyone i played against in teams but especially to Garret, who reassures me that i played one heck of a match and have nothing to be disappointed about. For now its time to regroup and move onto Singles the following day.

The sun rises Saturday morning and i bring myself, my Team Bring It shirt, my lucky SF Giants hat, my zebra print thong, and my deck into the gladiator ring that is UFS.

Round 1 vs Slam and All Jon Herr/Misturugi
    Right of the bat i decide that i need to do YokoCharmingFox a solid and make sure he doesnt have to worry about fighting diversity in the later rounds; to be blunt, i have to win. All Jon Herr is a great deck and Slam is a player to watch out for because im sure he will be making top cuts soon enough. Game 1 is my standard, boring wall up and kill the guy scheme and it works to perfection. Zing!, Righteousness, and BSK lead me to victory as they often do and i take game 1. Before game 2 I am thrown threw a loop as Slam boards into Misturugi! Who still plays that guy!? He gets to go first and ends up killing me on turn three with a barrage of big damage and high speed. We go to a game three and i realize that i dont have the time to kill so i end up playing for a draw. And i get it. I finish off the first round of worlds 0-0-1.

Round 2 vs Dave "Fancy Hair" Wagoner and Air Tira
    Before i start, I have never beaten Dave in a tournament setting and today would be know different. Dave wins the dice roll and gets to attach the Daddy Issues action to Tira game 1. Lucky me. Dave's deck is a masterpiece of defense and offense, he has ways to play alot of attacks in own turn and ways to ensure that he can block an opponent's attack. Needless to say i was in trouble from the get-go. Game 1 has Dave just punches me in the face like we all known he wants to in real life, and he does it alot. I can only soak up so much damage before he kills me. Game 2, knowing that i will be going first, Dave boards into Mike Lowe. Now game 2 is a rather interesting one. Neither Dave or myself can kill one another and we are stuck sitting on foundations and trying to mill the other, a fight that i was going to win. Dave decides to take a chance and scoops up his cards to go to game 3. Dave boards back into Tira as he will be going first again. Time is called as Dave goes into his final turn and he starts digging. He has one copy of Playboy in play and plays foundations waiting for an attack to hit the discard pile. And he gets it. The luck of the.....whatever nationality Dave is smiles upon him. He picks up his attack with Playboy, clears the card pool with Driven by Fear, and kills me with no time on the clock. My record falls to 0-1-1.

Right now im feeling pretty demoralized as this was not the start i was looking for and im fighting diversity. But i decide to man up and bring it for the next four rounds, taking it one round at a time.

Round 3 vs Kevin "Sugar Tits" Broberg and Weapons Algol
    Now to be fair Kevin didnt have a deck for this event, Algol was given to him by Tim Keefe so Kevin could play in the event. The deck's concept is really really cool and i was glad i got to play against it. Game 1 went to me as i just play alot of Snap Kick and DR to hold Kevin at bay and slowly take away his vitality. Game 2 Algol absolutely explodes on me and i get about a dozen attacks thrown my way and i just cant survive them all. Game 3 comes and i realize i cant afford to make any mistakes. And i dont. I take game 3 to stay alive in the top 16 hunt. Record is now 1-1-1.

Round 4 vs Christopher Word from the ATL and Fire Ragnar
    Now this was Word's first UFS event and i was glad to see the ATL player base growing. I win the dice roll and get to go first and my deck is very kind to me. I wall up well and keep him off alot of attacks through Grey and military uniform. I never take any opponent lightly so i pull no punches the whole match. I give Word some helpful tips in game but i always maintain my control. I win games 1 and 2 with a combination of throws and high damage Righteousness. Record 2-1-1.

Round 5 vs Rockstar and Life Angels
    I knew this match well after playing it in teams so i knew what i had to do. The second Omneil hit the board i went into full on turtle mode and trust my deck to help me weather the storm. Eventually i get him down to 14 vitality and very few cards in his deck. I sling a 14 damage Chi Disruptor at him and leave him with literally no options; if he blocks he will mill and if he doesnt block he will lose all his vitality. I take game 1 in excellent fashion. Now there are 16 minutes left in the round going in game 2. I could have just sat back, slow-played, and taken the win that way. But that is not how i was taught to play the game. I tell Iari straight up that i am going to give him a fair chance to win and we start the game. He gets Omneil out early and begins to burn me. I'm not able to get enough DR on the board and he eventually puts me to two. I wall up as much as i can and pass my turn hoping he will see no attacks on his final turn. He doesnt see any but he does see an angel and he burns me for my final 2 life and the match ends in a draw. It was truly a pleasure to meet you sir, and should i go to Nats i look forward to seeing you there. Record 2-1-2

Round 6 vs Don Chambers and Vespera
    Now i had not tested the Vespera match at all back in Georgia so i had no clue what would happen in this match. All i knew is i had to win to stay alive. Luckily for me Don's deck was not running P-touch so i didnt have to worry about that. Game 1 sees me remove an Eradicate (Vespa's 7 diff attack) with Grey's enhance on my Righteousness and its clear sailing from there. I loop my grabs and hold my BSKs to take game one. Game two goes in my favor as well as i see some of my best foundations and just bring the pain as best i can. Win the match and i have some hope. Record 3-1-2.

So thanks to ALOT of diversity and the magic of Disney i make it into top 16 the following day.

Top 16 vs Tim "Cetonis" Keefe and Chaos Kazuya
    If i could have faced a worse match up in top 16, i didnt know what it was. Kazuya absolutely pees in the corn flakes of Good Wall. Nonetheless i try my best to give Tim a solid match. He wins the dice roll ( i never seem to win those) and goes first game 1. Tim sees Kaz ALOT game 1, in fact he nukes the board about 6 times. Eventually i cant keep up with his foundation building and he is able to swing in with Divine Trib and kill me. Game 2 is going the same way game one does. I cant keep up on foundations because of Kaz and he is able to bash into me pretty hard. I leave him at ten and he proceeds to go into the kill turn. This is where some magic happened. He plays a Divine Trib and has another in his hand. Im holding only one card and it happens to be Garret's action. I enhance and retrieve Chi Disruptor from my discard pile hoping for some luck. I block with Chi Disruptor and reversal with it. I have one MBtM in play to put the damage to six and then leave it up to fate. I enhance with Grey and flip an attack off the top of Tim's deck to make the Chi Disruptor fatal and thankfully Tim has no blocks. I steal game 2. Game 3 has fate deciding im not deserving of another win as my deck takes a poop on me. I check a Righteous to try and block a 9 damage divine trib and i check attacks when trying to play foundations. Tim gets all he needs to kill me and puts my quest for cardboard to bed. I lose 2-1. Hats off to Tim for making it to top 8 and another thank you for allowing me to team with him.

Props:
    -The entire UFS community. As i said in the title, you guys are like a second family to me. You accept me and support me and welcome me back year after year and for that i truly am greatful.
    -Team Random encounter for getting top 4 in teams and for all of us making top 16 (Tim and Joe got top 8).
    -Garret, AJ, and Kirk for their win in teams and getting AJ his first piece of card board. Im still cleaning myself off after you guys kicked my ass.
    -Dave Wagoner for winning legacy. You finally got your own, solo piece of cardboard. Congrats man.
    -Piglet, Keenan, and Dave for making top 16 and giving another strong showing for yourselves.
    -Matt Kohls for giving me free beer. Sadly i failed when i tried to chug said beer.
    -Garret for buying my dinner at Boca. I got you back next year, count on it.
    -Amy from team New Jersey for being the first female to make top cuts in Standard Singles. A truly solid player from a truly awesome group.
    -The Rochester crew for being completely awesome, especially Sean O'Brian aka Sticky Lips.
    -The rest of the Jersey Crew
    -All of Michigan, always a cool group of guys. Andrew Olexa, i hope to play you next year.
    -The ATL for always representing.
    -And to anyone i forgot

Slops:
    -Me for not being able to beat Garret and win my team a card.
    -Me again, for not being able to chug a beer.
    -Jon Herr for getting way too drunk. Or maybe that should get props?
    2016 US Nationals Teams Champion (Team Caught Rod Handed)

2015 Worlds Standard Singles Top 16
    2015 US Nationals Standard Singles Top 16
    2015 US Nationals Teams Top 8
    2014 Worlds Standard Singles Top 8 (I think i got 6th?)
    2014 Worlds Teams Swiss Champs and Top 8
    2012 Worlds Standard Top 16
    2012 Worlds Teams 3rd Place
    2011 Worlds Standard Top 8

Next year my friend, I shall show you how to drink
    The infinite hype machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ATLDrew View Post
    Ya'll should be Team Emotional Rollercoaster. Thomas is super hype about everything, Syclic is super sad about everything, and Trips just says whatever the hell he is thinking.
    Trades

Regular Member generalreaction2.0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HypeMan! View Post
    Next year my friend, I shall show you how to drink
    A drunk Alex Marco.......seems unsafe
    2016 US Nationals Teams Champion (Team Caught Rod Handed)

2015 Worlds Standard Singles Top 16
    2015 US Nationals Standard Singles Top 16
    2015 US Nationals Teams Top 8
    2014 Worlds Standard Singles Top 8 (I think i got 6th?)
    2014 Worlds Teams Swiss Champs and Top 8
    2012 Worlds Standard Top 16
    2012 Worlds Teams 3rd Place
    2011 Worlds Standard Top 8

Quote Originally Posted by generalreaction2.0 View Post
    A drunk Alex Marco.......seems unsafe
    Unsafe only if you scream/cry.
    The infinite hype machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ATLDrew View Post
    Ya'll should be Team Emotional Rollercoaster. Thomas is super hype about everything, Syclic is super sad about everything, and Trips just says whatever the hell he is thinking.
    Trades