Thread: Regarding Decklists...

Regarding Decklists...

For some background, I come from a background of playing high level, competitive magic. In magic, deck lists of top finishers at every significant event are easily found online and deck lists are often copied, card-for-card, with little regard to the original creator of the deck or who popularized it.

In UFS, in contrast, it seems that there is little discussion of deck lists and even fewer resources to look up the deck lists of top finishers at significant events. I would suppose this is due to the diversification rule which makes top players want to break new decks at big events, but does it make it bad manners to discuss deck lists?

They are either in our deck list section or tournament reports section on the forums.
    There are no words for a Rider Kick. Just an EXPLOSION OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE!
    Owner and Operator of Total Justice Gaming: The first UFS fan site to bring you deck profiles and interviews from both champs and new players!

http://totaljusticegaming.blogspot.com

The problem is multi-fold. You hit the nail ont he head about people wanting to reserve their big guns for major tournaments, but that's only part of the stigma against net-decking and deck discussion.

The biggest roadblock to constructive deck discussion is the small player pool. Pretty much everyone who goes to the larger tournaments knows everyone else by face, name, and handle, and there's a lot of camaraderie and good mannered competition, even at the finals table. Because we tend to all get along, we tend to not want to step on one another's toes. I know that I certainly wouldn't play a character that my CA buddies would throw down with because I don't want to indirectly compete with them. And I feel like that idea holds true across most of the player base.

Furthermore, because the player base is so small, it is VERY easy to link a particular deck to it's originator(s), and it is somewhat bad manner to play that exact deck in the same tournament the originator is in. Most folks would rather try and build their own new archetype and take a champ card that way, rather than by net-decking someone else's mojo.

Lastly, again because the player base is so small, there is a ton of room for inovation in UFS, and plenty of card combinations and strategies that individuals will discover, and want to keep under wraps until a champ card is on the line. We (perhaps foolishly) believe that nobody else has figured out X card with Y character in Z meta before, and often enough we're right! If we had thousands and thousands of players in the pool, various strategies would be publicly cracked far more frequently. But when you have maybe a hundred or so players at the hyper-competitive level, you only have a hundred or so data points for innovating new strategies.

Frankly, I would love to talk deck strategies more often, but I know that I couldn't discuss anything without talking about my teammate's and buddy's secret kung-fu too.
    Updated 7/21 - VaporGecko's Trade Thread

2015 PTC - Scott's Valley - Vicarious Champion - Skull Man1 piloted by Sal Mazzurco
    2015 PTC - Scott's Valley - Top 8 - Pharaoh Man1
    2014 US Nats - Singles - Top 8 - K'1
    2014 US Nats - Teams - Top 8 - K'1
    2013 PTC - Scott's Valley - Top 4 - Nina Williams1
    2013 US Nats - Singles - Top 8 - Lu Chen2
    2013 US Nats - Teams - 2nd Place - Kazuya1
    2012 PTC - Scott's Valley - 2nd Place - Lu Chen2

best advice i can give when it comes to deck strategies is you can do one of three things:

1) Read tournament reports or look in the deck building sub forums, probably the best way to do this to get some view of how a meta is in certain areas thru reports.

2) The Chat room(in my sig) usually has people in there that discuss some strategy behind some characters but not always.

3) The articles sub forum, yeah it may not be the BEST way to do it but some of us do dedicate some time to making articles on how to play certain characters and what their strengths and weaknesses are and some of us usually give a rough build on how to go about making the character work.

outside of that, best advice i can give is just Build a deck and see what you can find that interacts well and works for you.

N.J.
    NJ Spade sole survivor of the Card Gaming Dynasty known as Cookeville Corp.

Writer of Articles for TCO and Jasco Games for UFS

Achievements
    2006: 3rd place Nashville-Franklin FoP(Life X***); 2007: 18th place Murfreesboro AOP(Fire Athena2); 2008: 5th place(2nd thru swiss) Middlesboro AOP(Fire Athena2); 2009: 28th place SEC @ MTAC Mt. Juliet(Life Yuri)

I don't think it's bad manners; just people don't really do it a lot. I know I've posted a number of threads in the Deck Building subforum of decks I'm tuning to win tournaments (including a couple that I've won actual events with -- eg, two summers ago I won a plane ticket and posted the list) and comment pretty regularly on others' decks as well.
    http://i.imgur.com/nxMBqb4.gifv

To edit a post, click Edit Post (brings up the Quick Edit thing over your post - ignore it), then click Edit Post again (this takes you to the detailed post page, where your edit can actually save)

Living Game Rules document v03.txt, because maybe you want to search through it?

Another thing you can do is simply PM and ask, some times, probably most we'll shed light on some of our decks. I know I will.
    There are no words for a Rider Kick. Just an EXPLOSION OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE!
    Owner and Operator of Total Justice Gaming: The first UFS fan site to bring you deck profiles and interviews from both champs and new players!

http://totaljusticegaming.blogspot.com

A lot of people do post their lists, at least the ones that are on the forums. I think the only forum regular that made top 8 at Canadian Nationals and didn't post a list is that jerk who runs Kazuya. It's really more that there haven't been any high-profile majors since then, (and that was October) as any time you get anywhere near a new set coming out people tend to hold off until its release to hold their PTCs and such.

Things should even out more once Jasco gets ahead of the game and sets come out on more of a real schedule, but this year again you can probably expect to see something like 10 PTCs/Regionals stuffed into the 4 months or so between KOF set 1 release and Worlds.

We do run a little regional circuit up in New York, and there seems to have been a similar effort down south but I haven't heard much about it. But for this year's Empire Circuit I've taken to building experimental decks off of characters and/or symbols that people don't think are any good, and posting them up afterwards. Ragnar and Sophitia are done thus far, trying to figure out what my next plot for Long Island (March 2nd!) is going to be. I have one verifiably insane idea to try that probably won't work, still trying to figure out the backup plan.

I do think it'd be cool if we could agree to post all of the top 8 lists from Nats this year - can't think of anybody it'd bother when there aren't going to be any more majors until after KoF comes out and shakes things up (or at least adds a bunch of card options to the pool) anyway.

There are a lot of people who don't post their decklists, just because they're fscking lazy.
    I DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR OPINION

Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiates View Post
    For some background, I come from a background of playing high level, competitive magic. In magic, deck lists of top finishers at every significant event are easily found online and deck lists are often copied, card-for-card, with little regard to the original creator of the deck or who popularized it.

In UFS, in contrast, it seems that there is little discussion of deck lists and even fewer resources to look up the deck lists of top finishers at significant events. I would suppose this is due to the diversification rule which makes top players want to break new decks at big events, but does it make it bad manners to discuss deck lists?
    If you don't mind me asking, what format are you trying to play? I only play Legacy so I can't help you out with Standard, but others here will help you with that. But if you do play Legacy then I can start posting some Legacy stuff in the deckbuilding section, I've already got one deck posted in there.