Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back seat judging in teams events

Back seat judging in teams events

what are the rules on back seat judging, like, if I am out of my game and watching my team play, and they check a hero's training for an attack but forget to trigger, it isn't a may ability, so can I point it out?

what if a mate's opponent basically cheats, even if it is something minor can I point that out?
    Looking for a Nats team

You can do it, but you know the losing side will talk mad ish to you afterwards and behind you back. I mean, but who really cares, you're a bau5.

I assume everyone already knows I love trash talk
    Looking for a Nats team

I love it when trash fills my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip Se7ens View Post
    I love it when trash fills my mouth.

I heard you take it deep too. Now question is do you shallow?

The thing is, and this how sean toysa, a pro level mtg player explained it: both players are responsible for maintining and enforcing the proper game-state. In your specific example the static effect absolutely must trigger since the wording implies that neither player has a say in the matter and the effect occurs automatically.

In this instance, because the game-state is not a choice, if player a forgets to apply the +3 dmg, then player b is obligated to remind player a. If the static were optional, than this would not be the case.
    "Music is not trying to be a formula every time, y'know? It's not a conveyor-belt. It's an expression of a moment in time." -- Maxwell, VH1 Storytellers.

On good days, I win more than I lose.

Well, that wouldn't be a good analogy any more, in the last week they changed the rules in magic so that the opponent is not at fault for missed triggers on the other side, even if they were aware of it being missed. (but still have full reign to make them happen if his opponent forgets)
    Last edited by Magnusotls; 02-06-2013 at 02:04 AM.
    Looking for a Nats team

Quote Originally Posted by Magnusotls View Post
    Well, that wouldn't be a good analogy any more, in the last week they changed the rules in magic so that the opponent is not at fault for missed triggers on the other side, even if they were aware of it being missed.
    touche'! :P
    "Music is not trying to be a formula every time, y'know? It's not a conveyor-belt. It's an expression of a moment in time." -- Maxwell, VH1 Storytellers.

On good days, I win more than I lose.

Now with magic, missing a trigger is the responsability of the controller of the effect, and even if it must happen ( no you may in the text ) it is now possble to forget and there is no sanction for the opponent.Personnaly i think it is a good thing because as a judge (i m judge for mtg ), i don't want to play for someone who don't remember his effects.
    Like mtg, i think the only case where spectators could interfere is where something illegal is done.

To be complete, the rulling in mtg didn't change last week, it was just an adjustement.The rulling on forgetting trigger happened before, last week they had that before any visible change on the game ( a creature die, a player loose life, tec..), trigger effect are considered done and are not considered missed if they are not announced in the right timing.

My understanding has always been that outsiders cannot point out optional triggers, but can remind players of mandatory triggers. IE, no saying you forgot to use X ability, but you can remind the players of hero's training because it's not optional. I don't know of many mandatory triggers in ufs, so I don't think it would come up often.

Magic trigger rules are in a weird place right now; they're still adjusting for the ruling that you must announce EVERY trigger you cause during the course of a game at high level (competitive/professional REL). It's been a weird ruling and there's a fair amount of player backlash, so they had to change the opponent's responsibility. I believe the previous ruling was more fair; both players are responsible for mandatory triggers that effect game state. Optionals are still, and will always remain, your responsibility alone.