Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: Judging

  1. #11
    Senior Member Dillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Birch View Post
    You know what makes us look like a laughing stock? How about that the deck check wasnt private and that ever single person who walked by the table was told what was wrong with it. Thats not how deck checks work.
    I would like to reiterate this. I was very very uncomfortable with my standard deck being laid out on the table for deck checks. Especially when I saw the person I was supposed to be playing next looking at it... (nothing on Tim, I don't think he even knew it was my deck at the time, he was just lookin' around)

  2. #12
    Scout NJBrock22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Livingston/Crossville, TN
    Posts
    1,965
    well deck checks are not supposed to be done in FRONT of everyone it's supposed to be Judges + the player involved ONLY... so something doesnt sound right there if EVERYONE was looking at your deck...

    N.J.
    NJ Spade sole survivor of the Card Gaming Dynasty known as Cookeville Corp.

    Writer of Articles for TCO and Jasco Games for UFS

    Achievements
    2006: 3rd place Nashville-Franklin FoP(Life X***); 2007: 18th place Murfreesboro AOP(Fire Athena2); 2008: 5th place(2nd thru swiss) Middlesboro AOP(Fire Athena2); 2009: 28th place SEC @ MTAC Mt. Juliet(Life Yuri)

  3. #13
    Scout Grizzlegrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    AMERICA!
    Posts
    2,364
    I agree with the deck checks thing however... It is your responsibility to make sure your deck is correct before turning it in for a deck check, sleeves aren't even $10 invest in some before major events just saying it doesn't matter if it was a honest mistake or on purpose it should still be treated the same just saying...
    UFS Canadian National/Legacy World/Team National Champion (Garett Brett, Kirk Polka, & Matt Kohls)/Team World Champion (Garett Brett, Kirk Polka, & Aj Murray)
    My Trades List http://forums.jascogames.com/forums/...1518#post41518
    I am a Warlock assassin sent from the Vatican just like Charlie Sheen
    Here's a napkin, clean yourself off

  4. #14
    Penguin Shaneth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,759
    I am here for the juice!


    Quote Originally Posted by Magnusotls View Post
    I would rather be disqualified than have people abandon tournament play because of what happened.
    This.



    Disqualification should be taken more seriously.

    Yo I dunno how laid back the TOs are now, but back in Nam, tournaments were super strict. I should have gotten disqualified for my actions in Worlds 2007 top 16 (how my mistake slipped by will forever be a miracle) and I haven't the slightest idea why Steve and Hata didn't disqualify me in top 4 of team Worlds 2009 for failing my deck check, and my mistake was that I wrote a 3 instead of a 2, not a 4 instead of a 6. In fact, my whole team should have suffered because I was foolish enough to neglect the accuracy of my decklist.

    Giving someone a game loss is just a slap on the wrist. Bust out the suspension list and fill it up.
    Maybe people would actually play if they knew that the tournaments they traveled so far too were being taken seriously.
    ~ Shane Duckworth - UFS is too damn good

  5. #15
    Senior Member dutpotd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    6,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaneth View Post
    Maybe people would actually play if they knew that the tournaments they traveled so far too were being taken seriously.
    What you say is correct. But this is only a maybe. If serious tournaments and organization is your only incentive to travel and play then you will always find something to complain about. That is what Birch is mad about re: this thread. Complaining is just that. Do something about it instead, be CONSTRUCTIVE.

    Everyone has their own reasons to travel, mine is because travelling is fun, seeing and spending time with like-minded friends is fun, the game itself is better than any other card game I play or have played, and the UFS community is the best.

    I don't care about prize support. I don't care about the process needing to be perfect (sh1t happens). That said, you had better believe I will do my best to make it better if I can. We had more people at nats this year than last, and more than the year before. Other people love the experience, or the game, or both. There is passion, there is a good product, let's all help Jason and his crew put the work in to mix the two to make more good experiences down the road.
    "No, no, not by the hair on my chinny chin Chin."

  6. #16
    Regular Member squrlmstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Orleans all day!
    Posts
    296
    Too many threads all echoing the same cr@p. The forums are being clogged up with bile and I think personal problems that are being voiced to certain members need to take it to PM's. Letting this all out in a publlic forum only scares the visitors away.(Seriously I just got a call from a friend)

    So please?*cute face*
    The man the myth the bad ass ****ing legend
    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/GulfCoastUFS/"]Gulf Coast UFS Facebook Page
    Tim
    Scout for Go 4 Games, Metairie, Louisiana
    UFS Nationals 2014: Yuri- 1 billionth place

  7. #17
    Senior Member Cetonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Vernon, CT
    Posts
    3,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    I would like to reiterate this. I was very very uncomfortable with my standard deck being laid out on the table for deck checks. Especially when I saw the person I was supposed to be playing next looking at it... (nothing on Tim, I don't think he even knew it was my deck at the time, he was just lookin' around)
    Well, to be honest other players had already pretty much given me the lowdown on what your deck ran so it didn't much matter. (and we spent so much time doing nothing game 1 that we checked half our decks anyway :P) But yeah, it was right there plain as day -.-'
    Last edited by Cetonis; 02-12-2013 at 06:22 AM.

  8. #18
    Penguin Shaneth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,759
    Quote Originally Posted by dutpotd View Post
    Complaining is just that. Do something about it instead, be CONSTRUCTIVE.
    While I am in agreeance with that general statement, I don't believe it can be disputed that there are certain instances where prominent obstacles prevent productivity. This situation is one of them.

    It is quite impossible for us players to be constructive when we are incapable of having any authoritative powers over organized play to reflect integrity. We just show up with money in hand and play under a set of rules that are given to us. We expect those guidelines to be advocated. After all, isn't it a "sanctioned" tournament?

    It is not the problem of the player that the rules are not enforced because the player cannot do anything about the rules. I think of the community's reaction to this past event to be similar to a strike. Workers will not work unless the benefits of going to work are either restored or increased. In this case, players will not play until proper action is taken to reconstitute righteousness.
    ~ Shane Duckworth - UFS is too damn good

  9. #19
    Senior Member dutpotd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    6,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaneth View Post

    It is quite impossible for us players to be constructive when we are incapable of having any authoritative powers over organized play to reflect integrity. We just show up with money in hand and play under a set of rules that are given to us. We expect those guidelines to be advocated. After all, isn't it a "sanctioned" tournament?

    It is not the problem of the player that the rules are not enforced because the player cannot do anything about the rules. I think of the community's reaction to this past event to be similar to a strike. Workers will not work unless the benefits of going to work are either restored or increased. In this case, players will not play until proper action is taken to reconstitute righteousness.
    I like your analogy.

    It is always possible to be constructive, in this case offering your opinion on things and suggesting ways for it to improve is likely all you can do. But it is better than just saying 'this is why more people don't play'. Obviously, it is a fact we can't ignore.

    I wasn't just asking you to be constructive, your post was actually somewhat constructive to begin with. I was generally putting it out there for other people in this thread and others who flat out weren't constructive in their assessment of issues.
    "No, no, not by the hair on my chinny chin Chin."

  10. #20
    Scout Birch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    I would like to reiterate this. I was very very uncomfortable with my standard deck being laid out on the table for deck checks. Especially when I saw the person I was supposed to be playing next looking at it... (nothing on Tim, I don't think he even knew it was my deck at the time, he was just lookin' around)
    I'm guilty of it at almost every tournament where deck checks arent a secret. i usually just stand around that table and see what people are playing. Is it something that should be allowed? No, not at all, but I dont have a reason not to honestly. Until it is done in private there isnt any reason for me to think that it isnt something allowed.

    Step 1 to correcting everything imo is to first change deck check procedure.


    Also Gratz Dillon you did really well this weekend.
    Oh, you think the 2 checks are your ally. But you merely adopted the 2s; I was born in them, moulded by them. I didn't see 3s until i was already a man, and by then they were nothing to me but BLINDING! The 2s betray you because they belong to me!
    Trade thread.
    http://forums.jascogames.com/forums/...3786#post83786

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO