Thread: Chaos Padma

Chaos Padma

So, I recently played this deck as listed below at the 2013 Arkansas PTC and came in the bottom half of the top 8. I figured I would ask for advice on this build. I have a lot of fun playing it and when it works it positively flys with potential to 2/3rd turn kill 26 vitality characters and that potential skyrocketing to potential of 1 turn kills on higher vitality characters on 4th or 5th turn. So without further ado here is a deck that confuses people when I sit down across from them.

Characters:
    1x Padma
    1x White Crane

Attacks:
    4x Fury of the Ancients
    4x Piercing Howl
    4x Two Deadly Rings Technique
    4x Zi Mei's Wheel Kick
    4x Flash Lightning

Foundations:
    4x For the Money
    4x Chasing After the Power
    4x Maniacal Laughter
    4x Treacherous Offspring
    4x Mishima Zaibatsu Leader
    4x Communing with the Ancients
    4x Body of Souls
    3x Driven By Fear

Actions:
    4x Ascending Zephyr

Assets:
    3x Autumn's Kiss

Sideboard:
    2x Bernstein Stadium
    2x Heaven's Punishment
    4x Peaceful Messenger

What you want to have possibility of t2 kill:
    1st: Attack(Preferably Flash lightning), E: Ascending Zephyr, For The Money/Chasing After Power, Play as much of your hand as you can.
    2nd: Wheel Kick, (Flash Lightnings if you have any), Fury w/ Multiple(x3)

Yes, this is the low side of enough Damage to t2 Kill someone with 26 vitality, but if you delay till t3 the potential for damage skyrockets with the potential to do around 40-ish damage provided your hand doesn't screw you.
    I tried to build the deck for consistency and speed based on some older deck concepts I saw for this lady. I also attempted to add in contingency if possible with Peaceful Mess. being in SB to help against throw decks, and Heaven's Punishment, Stadium helping against anyone running Man Behind the mask or other forms of Damage reductions.
    I had looked originally at doing the Rites as my kill mechanic, but found more often than not I would not have the correct cards in hand to combo-out.
    I also had looked at the possibility of building this as a throw deck (would be hilariously broken), but there was simply not enough throws in her symbols to make it viable as far as I could tell, hence being built on multiple.

MVP card of the deck was easily Wheel Kick allowing me to stun people out before going in for the kill.
    Retrospective on playing it in PTC: Often I found that I was not drawing into my kill (no fury in hand) and found that also despite my best efforts I was not always getting For The Money/Chasing After Power into play, and as such I most likely will try to find a way to squeeze Stadium onto main-board.

So, I would appreciate any advice you folks would have for me on this build.
    2013 Arkansas PTC Top 8: Padma(Chaos)

Apparently I build promo decks.

Surprised to not see Out Of Your League anywhere on this list - do you not just get rolled by Revoke, Undisputed Ruler, etc? I also don't quite get the White Crane, it doesn't look like she'd be able to kill anything with this lineup. Omar seems like he'd be a far better option.

I've always been a fan of Choke Throw and Alphard Maliki in Chaos Padma; just because you can't make it a "throw deck" doesn't mean you're not allowed to run some throws. They do tend to wind up in your momentum to fuel your FotA, and it gives you something positive you can do when you don't have a FoTA hand assembled. I think the ability to abuse those two throws are possibly the only thing Chaos Padma has going for her, in the sense that if you are just going to go straight up stuns and multiples it becomes really hard to justify why you wouldn't just run Omar in such a deck instead of the snake lady.

Hi There! This is a very cool Padma concept, and I think I have a couple suggestions that might help, but some might not be necessary:

First thing I want to address...I don't know how you normally play, so you may already do this, but...THE card you want to see in your hand T1 so that you always have the option of going all-in on T2 is Fury of the Ancients. I think this is your mulligan condition. Period. If you don't see it in your opening draw, you mully and try and draw into it. Going 2nd on T1 also affords you the ability to further pitch one/draw one before the start of your Combat Phase. This, plus you are a 7 hs character means you SHOULD be able to have at least one Fury in hand on T1 more often than not.

Second thing (this is turning into a Dr Seuss post very quickly, lolz!)... You might consider adding Solitary Assassin to your deck. It allows you play FotA's M:3 and then commit itself to add the top 3 cards of your deck to your momentum so you can follow up with another fully multipled FotA.

Third thing... I don't know that you need Autumn's Kiss in your deck. I'd rather see you play Bernstein's Stadium main-boarded, as it's a +2 CC hack in your favor AND a +2 dmg pump. In my experience, not many opponents will utilize it's damage pump against you, because it costs them a foundation (which they usually want to keep).

Fourth thing... At least in the sideboard for when you play against Revoke-using decks...Out of Your League is a must!

In fact, I would try this: -4 Ascending Zephyr, -3 Autumn's Kiss, +3 Solitary Assassin, +2 Out of Your League (with 1 in the SB), +3 Bernstein Stadium.

Hope these suggestions help!
    "Music is not trying to be a formula every time, y'know? It's not a conveyor-belt. It's an expression of a moment in time." -- Maxwell, VH1 Storytellers.

On good days, I win more than I lose.

Thanks for the quick replies, so here's what I gt coming back at you.

Firstly, and you'll roll at this. Almost no one in my playgroup runs enhance cancellations beyond The Devil Within so I never thought about it being a huge issue.

I originally when building this had Choke Throws in, but never put in the Alphard Maliki because I didn't want 2 checks in this at all cause it can mess up me Zephyring T1. If I was going to toss Choke Throws back in the only ones I am looking at as a possibility for hem replacing is either Howls or Two Deadly, which will require a little reworking on the foundations to either up my momentum gain or put in some speed boost to counter the stun loss, but trust me I long for the next set to maybe see one or two more throws.
    As far as Omar goes he is lovely, but I like going off super fast and he would slow me down with the 6HS and his damage boost depends on foundation base, which I am attempting to avoid needing by going off early.

Alright, on to this next post... I immediately face palmed here as I go back and read solitary assassin.
    Honestly, I thought it's E needed to be played before the multiple, but since it doesn't that is immediately making it in main-board. I honestly feel pretty dumb for not having read that one right, also you just improved a Q-Bee build of mine with this suggestion.
    I was going to add Stadiums main-board as they are stupid useful when combined with Chasing After The Power (Didn't realize this til a Kyoufu build I'm working on), and I'll probably try to take out those Autumn's Kisses, but I'm a little hesitant as being able to multiple 5 a Fury is Pretty brutal if the game goes to T4 or T5 (But I'll give it a shot).
    My only hesitation on Out of Your League is that it will be at least a 5 check to play it, but with stadiums in I think it should be easily feasible T3.

So I'm going to give this a try probably on Tuesday between rounds at our weekly event and I'll post back here with any useful notes.
    Deck Changes for This week:
    Drop(6): -3 Autumn's Kiss, -1 Ascending Zephyr, -1 Mishima Zaibatsu Leader -1 White Crane(never really used her)
    Gain(8): +3 Solitary Assassin +3 Bernstein Stadium
    New Sideboard: 3x Out of Your League(Swaps for Zephyr), 3x Messengers (Swaps with Driven By Fear), 2x Autumn's Kiss (Swaps for 1 Stadium and Remaining Zephyr)

Thanks for the advice guys we'll see what happens. Depending if I become a CC god with those stadiums I might put Choke Throw for Howls.

Actually, you would only play OOYL in response to your opponent Revoking/canceling your Multiple enhance. You must remember that Momentum is DISCARDED FIRST as a cost to paying the Multiple Enhance. So, if your opponent Revokes this enhance, your Momentum hasn't yet made it into the card pool. It is only IF your Multiple enhance resolves that the discarded momentum is added to your card pool facedown.

So, you should NOT be playing OOYL at anything more than a 3-diff. (Assuming you lead in with ZMWK and then play FotA).

Just saying...
    "Music is not trying to be a formula every time, y'know? It's not a conveyor-belt. It's an expression of a moment in time." -- Maxwell, VH1 Storytellers.

On good days, I win more than I lose.

Good point I did not think of that.