Thread: Character 'Gems' Corner: Team Yagami, another review of KOF XIII 1

Character 'Gems' Corner: Team Yagami, another review of KOF XIII 1

Next up on Character "Gems" Corner, KOF 13 Review Edition... we have Team Yagami, their Gimmick this time is Desperation... and 'cutting' themselves to force themselves into desperation and put their opponents almost on a clock on killing them, so without further adue... let's start with the characters that make up the team.

Iori
    [Chaos, Earth, Evil]
    Hand: 7
    Vitality: 20
    While you are at desperation, your opponent must discard 1 momentum as an additional cost to play an ability that would commit a card in your staging area.
    E: Lose 2 vitality: If this attack deals damage, remove it from the game.
    E: Lose 1 vitality: Your desperation attack gets +2 Damage.

Basically while at Desperation makes it to where Stun and Stun Like abilities are pretty much useless by forcing them to discard a momentum to even use said abilities, now how do you get into desperation with him... look at his 2 abilities, He can either lose 2 vitality to remove an attack from the game if it deals damage OR Lose 1 vitality to give a Desperation Attack +2 damage... need we say how good he can be... and i'll point out in a few cards what can make him REALLY good.

Mature
    [Chaos, Evil, Good]
    Hand: 6
    Vitality: 27
    While you are at Desperation, cards that would be added to your opponent's momentum durring the Combat Phase are added durring the End Phase instead.
    First F: Lose 2 Vitality: Until the end of this Combat Phase, your control checks to play mid attacks get +2.
    Desperation E: Your mid attack gets +3 damage.

One of my extended playgroup found a way to play this character and Kill people Turn 2 with almost no set up at all and i will leave it to you the people to find a way to build her... Also i see a potential rules issue happening with her Desperation Ability... but what really matters is her Control checks are +2 and her Mid attacks get +3 damage... all you really need with her is a couple good speed pumps and you have a good all around character.

Vice
    [Chaos, Death, Evil]
    Hand: 6
    Vitality: 27
    While you are at Desperation, your opponent must discard 1 momentum as an additional cost to play action cards.
    Desperation E(4+): Your [Chaos] and [Evil] attack gets +2 Damage and +2 Speed.
    First F: Add the top card of your deck to your momentum. Only playable if there are at least 3 attacks in your discard pile.

Forcing your opponent to discard momentum to play an action(When the Moon, Revoke, Out of Your League...) while at desperation is VERY Good, as are the abilities to give your Chaos/Evil attacks +2/+2 add in your FREE Momentum gen starting 2nd turn... and you just have a very good character.

Acrobatic Maneuvers[R](Action)
    [Chaos, Evil, Good]
    Block: +0H
    E: Your opponent's mid block modifiers get +2 for the rest of this turn. If your character is Mature, discard this card from your card pool.
    R: After your opponent plays a desperation ability, cancel its effects and your opponent discards their entire momentum.
    Diff: 2[D: 0] Control: 5

Give up Yet?[UR](Action)
    [Chaos, Death, Evil]
    Block: +2M
    R: After your unblocked attack deals damage, if your opponent has 0 momentum, add this card and the top card of your deck to your momentum.
    F: Discard 1 card: Draw 2 cards.
    Diff: 2 Control: 5

Iori's Guitar[UR](Asset)[Unique][Iori ONLY]
    [Chaos, Earth, Evil]
    E: Commit, lose 2 vitality: Reduce this attack's damage to 0.
    Desperation F: Remove this card from the game: Gain 4 vitality. Playable while commited.
    Diff: 3[D: 1] Control: 5

As for our non-traditionally packed stuff... we have 3 decent cards... First we have an action to give your opponent's block mods(for mid blocks) +2 hmm... this + Amy's Bouncy Castle of Fun(Throne Room) and Mature OR Vice... and you basically have a potential kill condtion in an Action... also an ability to cancel Desperation yeah... and a +0H Block... sign me up. Give Up Yet... hmm free 2 momentum for your attack dealing damage and your opponent having 0 momentum... Or you can trade it and 1 other card to draw 2 cards... with a decent block on it... yeah good card... wish it wasn't an Ultra Rare though. Iori's Guitar, hmm... near costless damage reduction, and a way to gain vitality while it's commited... not a bad card for Iori to have in his deck.

203 Shiki Tsuchi Tsubaki[C](Throw)[Combo: Desperation]
    [Chaos, Earth, Evil]
    Block: +2H
    SZD: 4H3
    Combo E: Choose 1 card in your card pool. This attack gets a damage bonus equal to the desperation rating on the chosen card.
    Diff: 5[D: 4] Control: 3

Death Row(attack)[C][Combo: Mid]
    [Chaos, Evil, Good]
    SZD: 4M4
    Combo E: Your opponent discards their entire momentum.
    E: This attack gets +2 Speed. Only playable if your opponent has 0 Momentum.
    Diff: 4 Control: 3

Deicide[R](attack)
    [Chaos, Death, Evil]
    Block: +2H
    SZD: 6M0
    While this card is in your card pool after you play a combo attack, you may change one of it's combo requirements to "Deicide" until the end of this turn.
    E: If this attack is not blocked, add 1 card from your card pool to your momentum.

Heaven's Gate(attack)[R]
    [Chaos, Evil, Good]
    SZD: 3M3
    You may only play 1 enhance durring this attack's Enhance Step.
    R: After you play this attack, it gets +3 damage and +3 speed for each copy of Heaven's Gate in your discard pile.
    Diff: 5 Control: 3

Kin 1211 Shiki Yaotome[U](attack)
    [Chaos, Earth, Evil]
    Block: +1M
    SZD: 5M3
    Desperation E: Choose 1 card in your removed from the game pile. This attack gets +X damage. X equals the chosen card's desperation rating.
    Desperation R: After you play this card as an attack, turn all face down cards in your staging are face up. Remove all non-foundation cards turned face up by this effect from the game.
    Diff: 4[D: 3] Control: 3

Kin 1218 Shiki YATAGARASU[UR](Ranged)[Iori ONLY]
    [Chaos, Earth, Evil]
    Block: +3M
    SZD: 0M6
    E: RFG, Discard 2 momentum: Your opponent loses 6 vitality. Draw 2 cards.
    Desperation E: This attack gets +X Speed. X equals your current vitality(Max 9).
    Diff: 5[D: 3] Control: 3

Mature's Awakening Blood[UR](attack)
    [Chaos, Evil, Good]
    SZD: 5M8
    Mature E: Discard 2 momentum: This attack gets +3 Damage for each mid attack in your card pool.
    E: If your opponent completely blocks this attack, draw 2 cards at the end of your turn.
    Diff: 6 Control: 3

Negative Gain[C](Throw)[Combo: High]
    [Chaos, Death, Evil]
    SZD: 2H3
    After all multiple copies of this attack resolve, discard them from your card pool.
    Combo E: This attack gets multi: 2.

Vice's Awaking Blood[UR](attack)
    [Chaos, Death, Evil]
    SZD: 3M7
    Vice First E: Discard 3 momentum: Destroy all foundations in both players' staging areas. only playable if you have played at least 2 other attacks this combat phase.
    Diff: 5 Control: 2

First up we have Tsubaki, this Throw gets a damage bonus equal to ANY desperation attack, including itself, considering it's a Combo ability and it's looking for desperation effects, i think you can see the trend to the support to Team Yagami. Death Row, well if nothing else, this attack is a 6M4 and makes your opponent have NO momentum, always a great thing, though it's kinda over-shadowed by the other attacks this set for Team Yagami, it may however find uses in other characters. Deicide... wow... just... wow... replacing Combo on any more annoying cards to get a combo off on is ALWAYS nice. Heaven's Gate... yeah this attack is the definition of a Finishing attack if i've ever seen one... have 3 in your grave it's 12M12... and you can blow up Brilliant Tactitian to make sure your opponent doesn't mess with it... i like this attack... plus i'm sure people will find ways to make it even MORE stupid... i'll get into that at a later time. Kin 1211, well let's see here... remember how Iori removed his attacks from the game... this attack gives you a reason to... a damage bonus equal to any of your Removed from the game card's desperation rating, nice; oh and it has an ability that tells Face Down tricks to go F*** off, yes i like it. Kin 1218... hmm... let me get this right... i can either RFG this and draw 2 cards and FORCE a burn of 6... OR i can make this attack a 9M6... yeah it's Iori ONLY but... wow... Mature's Blood... This with Mature or Vice is pretty much a kill condition... +3D for EVERY mid attack(including itself) in your card pool... with any speed pump this will kill people... oh and if they SOMEHOW block it... you can draw 2 cards at the end of your turn... nice. Negative Gain, hmm the fact that the multiple copies kick themselves after they resolve guarentee that they will NEVER interrupt your combo abilities, 2H3 on a 4 diff throw may not seem like much... but add in Vice's ability and i'm sure you'll find it to be a useful attack. Vice's Blood... Attack based Start Over??? yep, yeah it's a 7 difficulty verson of it but it's also gonna be pretty damn hard for them to block unless they've gotten very lucky, 7 Damage coming right at them with limited ways to block it is always a tough thing for people to deal with.

Brash and Agressive[C](Foundation)
    [Chaos, Death, Evil]
    R(4+): After you discard 1 or more momentum durring this enhance step, this attack gets +1 damage and +1 speed.

Hakkesshu of Death[U](Foundation)
    [Chaos, Death, Evil]
    First E: Lose 2 vitality: Add 1 card from your momentum to your hand. Only playable if you have not dealt damage this turn.
    R: Commit: After 1 or more of your card are commited due to your opponent's effect, both players lose X vitality. X equals your momentum.

Hakkesshu of Light[R](Foundation)
    [Chaos, Evil, Good]
    F: Commit, discard 1 momentum: Your opponent discards 2 momentum. Your next mid attack this turn gets +2 damage and +2 speed.

Irritable[U](Foundation)
    [Chaos, Earth, Evil]
    R(5+): After you lose 2 or more vitality as a part of a cost, gain 1 vitality.
    Desperation R: Commit: After you make a control check to play a desperation attack, that check gets +2.
    Diff: 2[D: 1] Control: 5

Nimble Assassin[U](Foundation)
    [Chaos, Evil, Good]
    R: Commit: Before you make a control check to play a mid attack, that check gets -X. If you pas that control check, your next control check to play a mid attack this turn gets +X.
    R: RFG: After you fail a control check to play a mid attack, add that attack to your hand instead of discarding it. Your Combat Phase does not end.
    Diff: 1 Control: 5

Plum Eater[R](Foundation)
    [Chaos, Death, Evil]
    E: Destroy this foundation: If this attack has a printed difficulty of 5 or more, it gets -3 damage(min 1). Only playable if you have at least 1 momentum.
    E: Destroy this foundation: Both players discard 2 momentum. Playable while commited

Powerful Assassin[U](Foundation)
    [Chaos, Death, Evil]
    R: Lose 2 vitality: After your opponent plays an attack (not as a block), if your opponent has 0 momentum, draw 1 card. Only playable once per turn.
    E: Commit: Choose 1 foundation in your staging area and add it to your hand: This attack gets +2 damage and -2 speed.

Ruthless Woman[U](Foundation)
    [Chaos, Evil, Good]
    R: Lose 1 vitality: After you play a mid attack, that attack gets +1 damage.
    Desperation R: Commit: after your opponent plays an attack, reduce that attack's speed to 0. Only playable if your opponent has 0 momentum.

Snowboarding Enthusiast[C](Foundation)
    [Chaos, Evil, Good]
    R: Commit: After your non-throw mid attack deals damage, choose 1 foundation in your discard pile and add it to your hand.

Unbridled Instinct(Foundation)[R]
    [Chaos, Earth, Evil]
    Desperation E: Commit: This attack gets +X damage. X equals this attack's desperation rating.
    E: RFG: You may play desperation abilities on cards in your staging area as though you were at desperation for the rest of this Enhance Step.

Vengeful Intentions[C](Foundation)
    [Chaos, Earth, Evil]
    E: Commit: If your non-throw attack deals damage, your opponent loses 2 vitality.
    Desperation E: Your attack gets +1 speed.

Violent(Foundation)
    [Chaos, Earth, Evil]
    R: Commit: After a card is removed from the game due to an effect, draw 1 card.
    Iori E: Lose 1 vitality: Your attack gets +1 damage and +1 speed.

Brash and Agressive, when i first saw this card... i thought that this card plus any 1 momentum enhance could help make an attack beefy enough to be a threat to anyone, talking it over with some of my friends, they think the card is not worth playing... but i'm sure SOMEONE will prrove them wrong. Hakkeshu of Death... yeah free momentum recursion durring either player's turn OR burn equal to your momentum... yeah, i like it. Hakkeshu of Light... yeah me and my friends have mixed feelings about this card... they feel it's 100% useless due to the fact that you want to keep as much of your momentum as possible... i feel that being able to kill all of your opponent's momentum AND Give a speed and damage pump is more important than momentum could be... oh well, we'll let everyone else decide... Irritable... well, here's a little trick for everyone... Irritable + Ragnar OR Iori... because being able to "Cut" yourself into desperation AND THEN BACK OUT OF IT is always a funny thing to do; the desperation ability if nothing else gives you a good way to make sure your attack gets played, the artwork is nice too. Nimble Assassin... hmm, this card... it's a remake of 2 cards from earlier in the game... Stained Honor and Burning Soul, anyone who played either of these cards back in the day know how useful at least Stained Honor was... burning soul didnt get much play because of its 3 check but was still useful, this version... well yeah it only works on Mid's... but i'm sure we can find MANY uses for it. Plum Eater... well it seems to be EVERYONE's favorite artwork in the set... but most everyone i've talked to says it's the worst of the Rares in the set. Mainly because everyone i talk to say "Evil needs its momentum" meh... Powerful Assassin... wow... Mai just got Put thru a Table/Crate/Something... well Free Card Draw for your opponent playing an attack OR you can pick up a card that's either locked down by your opponent's effect(points at chinese boxing or Program malfunction or the Ilk) or flipped face down... and give a damage pump at the cost of speed redux... do note this works on your OPPONENT's attacks too... so if you need to reduce it's speed and you have a facedown in your staging area... this is always a good option. Ruthless Woman... that R... no the Desperation R, yeah that one... ever been pinned behind your opponent playing a 4-6 speed attack at the end of an attack string and need a way out? Here's your way out... make it that much easier on yourself to block it, especially if they've already commited themselves out to try and finish you off, because trust me... blocking at a 4-5 is MUCH easier than blocking at a 10-12. Snowboarding Enthusiast... ever had one of your key foundation's blown up? Here's a way to get it back, oh and you can use multiple copies on your attack... lead off with 1 attack, pick up 4 foundations to keep building or have defensive options if your opponent survives. Unbridled Instinct... what can be said that has not already been said about this one... because the ability to play desperation abilities when you're at or near full is always a good thing. Vengeful Intentions, extra damage for your opponent letting an attack thru AND a free speed pump, not bad. Violent... hey Vince Grey... you need more card draw? Here it is, same for you Zhao, oh and its a +1/+1 for Iori, nice.

Now as to who to highlight for this team... Iori's taken by one of my buddies... Mature also... so i guess that leaves Vice... and yes i will be going with a very simple to the point theme since her ability requires it... so without further adue... here's Vice.

Character(1)
    Vice x1

Attack(20)
    Chasm Buster x4 5/3 4M4 Stun: 2 +2M
    Death Row x4 4/3 4M4 Combo: Mid +2M
    Deicide x4 4/3 6M0 +2H
    Hell's Salvation x4 5/2 5M5 Weapon Combo: High, Combo +3M
    Negative Gain x4 4/3 2H3 Combo: High

Foundation(40)
    Alluring Temptress x4 0/5 +4L
    Brash and Agressive x4 2/5 +2M
    Friends in High Places x4 2/5
    Hakkeshu of Death x4 2/5
    Observing the Fight x4 2/6
    *Plum Eater x4 2/5 +3M
    Powerful Assassin x4 2/5
    Ruthless Woman x4 2/5 +3M
    Sheep's Clothing x4 1/5 +3M
    Sweet Nothings x4 2/4
    *Nimble Assassin x4 1/5

-choose which you want or both

yeah it's a very 'themed' deck as EVERY card has [Chaos] + [Evil] but i'm pretty sure the deck works as it's typed out... so guys until next time when i review Team Fatal Fury... this is NJ "Brock" Spade... signing off.
    Last edited by NJBrock22; 07-10-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Nice breakdown of the cards... I'd definitely be interested in seeing the other two decks built.... I'm currently repping this Team in my playgroup myself and its always nice to see some new ideas. I need some more cards for my deck to be the way I want but from what I pulled out of my box I think I have a pretty decent one so far. Once I have my final tweaks made I'll share mine.
    - Bathe in Chaos, clense thyself in the madness of it all, and drown in the abandonment of hope. I have arrived. -

it was really a nice breakdown i could understand that actually

yeah, eventually i'll get back to doing these, just not had much inspiration to do so at the moment...

N.J.
    NJ Spade sole survivor of the Card Gaming Dynasty known as Cookeville Corp.

Writer of Articles for TCO and Jasco Games for UFS

Achievements
    2006: 3rd place Nashville-Franklin FoP(Life X***); 2007: 18th place Murfreesboro AOP(Fire Athena2); 2008: 5th place(2nd thru swiss) Middlesboro AOP(Fire Athena2); 2009: 28th place SEC @ MTAC Mt. Juliet(Life Yuri)