Thread: Character 'Gems' Corner: Team Ikari Warriors, another review of KOF XIII 1

Character 'Gems' Corner: Team Ikari Warriors, another review of KOF XIII 1

Welcome back to another and the Final edition of Character "Gems" Corner, KOF XIII Review edition, today we look at Team Ikari Warriors,

Leona
    [Fire, Good, Life]
    Hand: 8
    Vitality: 17
    At the beginning of your End Phase, discard 1 card.
    R: After you commit any number of foundations to pass a control check to play an attack, that attack gets +2 speed.
    E: Commit: Your [Fire] and [Good] attack gets +3 Damage.

Currently the only (natural) 8 hander in Standard, yeah you must discard a card at the end of your turn but you still see a good chunk of your deck durring each turn and this will be helpful to you later on in the game. Her R may not look that good at first... but when you consider that your attack is gonna get a speed pump that is not an enhance just for commiting to pass a control check then this should seem like a godsend in an ability. The E... well it's not the BEST damage pump in the world but hey... who's gonna laugh at +3 damage.

Clark2
    [Fire, Good, Order]
    Hand: 5
    Vitality: 34
    R(4+): After you take damage, commit 1 of your opponent's foundations and draw 1 card.
    First E: Commit 1 foundation: This attack gets +1 damage for each card in your hand(Max 4). Playable while committed.

Well a 5 hand is not my style and more than likely not anyone elses either... but after you read what he does... it may change someones mind... for taking damage i can commit ANY foundation in my opponent's staging area and then draw 1 card... considering with 34 health they have to rush you down fairly quickly... yeah... His First E gives a significant damage pump for just 1 foundation... i can see why this got a cap of Max 4(considering it's playable while commited)... because stack on the Promo version and have a 8-12 card hand by turn 3... yeah... +7-11 to an attack is pretty dumb.

Ralf
    [Fire, Good, Void]
    Hand: 6
    Vitality: 26
    F: Commit 1 foundation, reveal 1 block in your hand: For the rest of this turn, after you play an attack that shares at least 2 resource symbols with your character, it gets +X damage. X equals 4 minus the printed block modifier of the revealed card. Only playable once per turn.
    First E: Commit: Your opponent discards their entire hand and draws up to their printed hand size minus 1.

Wow... +4 damage for revealing a Character to all my attacks... yeah... i like that... His E is also fairly good... because Attack Based Pseudo-mill is VERY fair... now if only there was a way to naturally ready him... hmm... i'll get back to everyone on that later on.

Earring Bomb[R](Action)[Ranged]
    [Fire, Good, Life]
    Block: +1M
    F: The next time you commit 1 or more foundations in order to pass a control check to play an attack this turn, that attack gets +2 speed and +2 damage.
    R: Discard this card from your card pool: After your opponent plays a breaker or reversal ability, cancel its effects. Only playable while this card is in your card pool.
    Diff: 2 Control: 5

Clark's Sun Glasses[UR](Asset)[Unique]
    [Fire, Good, Order]
    Block: +3M
    R: Commit 1 foundation: After an enhance ability is played, your opponent commits 1 of their foundations. Only playable once per enhance step.
    Clark E: Commit: If this attack deals damage, draw 1 card.

Team Ikari WarriorS[UR](Asset)[Ally][Unique]
    [Fire, Good, Life, Order, Void]
    F: Destroy this asset: Add 1 [Fire] and [Good] foundation fron your discard pile to your hand.
    F: Commit: Draw 1 card. If your opponent has 4 or more cards in hand, they discard 1 card. Only playable if you have played an attack this turn.

First up for the non-traditional card support we have Earring Bomb... which i badly mis-read the first time i saw it... but IF you commit foundations to pass the check of your next attack this turn it gets +2/+2, not bad... considering it has Ranged(which will come into play later) and a good block on it. The R on it pretty much makes this card a darn near auto pack in decks that can pack it, Because kicking it from your card pool to negate Breaker OR Reversal is always something a deck would like to have. Next up we have Clark's Sun Glasses(or as a friend of mine calls it.. the People's Shades, Raw Deal Reference +1...) The first ability on this card... gives you the ability to make your opponent make tough choices every attack... especially when it comes to whether they play enhances or not, because telling an opponent... "Ok so that was your enhance... now commit 1 more foundation" is always fun... The Clark E is a decent ability... but really his R on him is probably better than the Sun Glasses are. Team Ikari Warriors... hmmm, ok you blew up my foundation last turn... i'm gonna pick it up now, thank you... yeah that's all i have for that Ability... well... i'll get into another use later... maybe. The 2nd ability, well if you time it just right... this could give you exactly the attack you need AND get your opponent down to where they really have limited options to stop you, now off of Void you can cause so much extra discard it's not even funny... but that's for another day.

Baltic Launcher2[U](Ranged)
    [Fire, Good, Life]
    SZD: 0M4
    E: Discard 1 card: If this attack is blocked, you may add 1 copy of this attack from your discard pile to your hand.
    Diff: 2 Control: 3

Dynamite Ralf Punch(Punch)[C][Pow: 2]
    [Fire, Good, Void]
    SZD: 1M4
    E: Reveal an attack card in your hand: If this attack is not completely blocked, your next punch this turn gets +3 Speed.
    Diff: 4 Control: 3

Gatling Attack[C](Punch)[Multi: 1]
    [Fire, Good, Order]
    SZD: 4H3
    E(5+): If your printed hand size is less than your opponent's printed hand size, add 1 card from your discard pile to your momentum face up.

Jet Vulcan Punch[R](Punch)[Stun: 2][Ralf Combo: Punch, Punch]
    [Fire, Good, Void]
    SZD: 2MX
    X equals the number of [Fire] and [Good] cards in your card pool +1.
    Combo E: If this attack deals damage, you may play it again(no check necassary). Only one copy of this ability may be played per turn.
    Diff: 5 Control: 3

Leona Blade[UR](Weapon)[Combo: Ranged]
    [Fire, Good, Life]
    Block: +2L
    SZD: 3M8
    Combo E: This attack gets Stun: 3. Ready all cards commited to pass the control check to play-this attack.
    Leona R: Discard this card from your card pool: After your opponent plays a response ability, cancel its effects.
    Diff: 5 Control: 2

Super Argentine Backbreaker[C](Throw)
    [Fire, Good, Order]
    SZD: 2M4
    E: Commit 1 foundation: This attack gets +2 damage. If this attack deals damage, choose 1 of your opponent's commited foundations. That card does not ready durring their next Ready Step.

Ultra Clark Buster[UR](Throw)
    [Fire, Good, Order]
    Block: +0L
    SZD: 3M5
    Clark E: Discard 1 momentum: If this attack deals 6 or more damage, your opponent loses 1 vitality for each of their commited foundations.
    E: Commit 1 foundation: The damage of this attack cannot be reduced by effects.
    Diff: 5 Control: 2

V-Slasher[C](attack)
    [Fire, Good, Life]
    Block: +2H
    SZD: 4H3
    E: Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a [Fire] and [Good] card, this attack gets +2 damage.
    E: Draw 1 card. Only playable if you commited 1 or more foundations to pass the control check to play this card.

Vulcan Punch2[R](Punch)[Combo: Punch]
    [Fire, Good, Void]
    Block: +2M
    SZD: 2M4
    Combo E: Your opponent discards half the number of cards in their hand(Rounded down). If they have more cards in their hand than you do, they discard those cards at random instead.

Baltic Launcher2, well thank god this says copies of this attack... because picking up Baltic Launcher1 would be so dumb *sarcasm* but seriously.. a spam attack that can fetch more copies of itself to do more damage... yeah it's a good card. Dynamite Ralf Punch... well lets see here... Punch support for Good(and an alternate for Void), makes your next Punch harder to block... yeah not bad, good block, powerful... i like it. Gatling Attack... this card plus Yi-Shan2, need i say more... Jet Vulcan Punch... nice... usually gonna be a 2M5 that IF your opponent lets thru they're taking 10 damage(more than likely) to the face, heck if you time it right this CAN be a kill condition, oh and look it gave Fire and Void even MORE Stun... Leona Blade... remember what i said about Earring Bomb's Form... this is what you're forming into... +2/+2 +2 more speed from Leona so effective 7M10 with Stun 3 AND all the cards you commited ready... and the bonus effect of being able to kick it from your card pool to negate a response ability(including reversal), yeah this is such a good attack, well worth the 2 check to pack. Super Argentine Backbreaker, yeah... a throw that for commiting one foundation you get to choose 1 opponent's foundation that cant ready next turn... yeah i like it. Ultra Clark Buster... yeah this is Clark's finisher alright... me and a few friends figured out a trick with this attack... play United We Stand into it... and just say "hi... if this deals 8 or more... you burn THREE For each commited foundation" yeah... can you say... overkill... add in the attack also has a "you cant reduce damage" button on it, which makes the attack THAT much better... oh and it has a +0 Low block... nice. V-Slasher... hmm a 4 High 5 with a card draw ability... need i say any more about this attack, not a bad set-up attack for any Fire deck. And Finally we have Vulcan Punch2, Random Discard for you playing the combo enhance... yeah... time this attack just right... and you may end up discarding ALL of their good blocks and force them into a bad situation against you... nice attack overall.

Accomplished Grappler[C](Foundation)
    [Fire, Good, Order]
    After this foundation is commited due to your opponent's effect, their attacks get -1 damage and -1 speed for the rest of this turn(min 1).
    R: Commit: After you play your second attack this turn, draw 1 card. Only playable if your hand size is less than your opponent's.

Action Hero2[U](Foundation)
    [Fire, Good, Void]
    R: Commit: Before your opponent makes a control check to play a reversal, if you have revealed an attack card from your hand as a part of a cost this Combat Phase, your opponent must discard 1 card as an additional cost to play that reversal.
    Diff: 2 Control: 6

Comfort in a Bottle[U](Foundation)[Unique]
    [Fire, Good, Void]
    F: Commit: Discard 1 card and then draw 1 card. If you revealed an attack card from your hand as a part of a cost this combat phase, discard 2 cards and then draw 2 cards instead.

Heidern's Prodigy[U](Foundation)
    [Fire, Good, Life]
    After this card is commited to pass a control check to play an attack, commit 1 of your opponent's assets.
    R: Commit: After you discard a card, look at the top 2 cards of your deck and replace them in any order.

Hidden Laughter[R](Foundation)
    [Fire, Good, Life]
    This card ignores progressive difficulty.
    E: Discard 1 momentum: Ready this foundation. Only playable while commited.

Leona's Orochi Blood(Foundation)[C]
    [Fire, Good, Life]
    Block: +2M
    F: Commit: Your [Fire] and [Good] attacks get +1 damage for the rest of this Combat Phase.
    E: Destroy this card: This attack gets -2 Speed. If this is a [Fire] and [Good] attack, it gets +2 Speed instead. Playable while commited.

Limitless Strength[C](Foundation)
    [Fire, Good, Order]
    After this foundation is commited durring your attack's Enhance Step, your attack gets +3 damage.
    Diff: 3 Control: 5

Orders From Heidern[U](Foundation)
    [Fire, Good, Order]
    After this foundation is committed durring your attack's Enhance Step, your attack gets +2 damage.
    E: Destroy this foundation: Choose 1 attack in your opponent's card pool. It may not be removed from the card pool for the rest of this Combat Phase. Playable while commited.

Plays with Knives[C](Foundation)
    [Fire, Good, Void]
    E: Commit: Remove 1 card in your card pool from the game. Your attack gets +1 damage. Only playable if you have revealed a card from your hand as part of a cost this Combat Phase.

Tough and Cool(Foundation)
    [Fire, Good, Order]
    After this foundation is commited durring your attack's Enhance Step, your attack gets +2 speed.
    E: Commit: Durring the Block Step of this attack, choose 1 random card in your momentum and reveal it. If the revealed card could normally be played as a block against this attack, attempt to block with it as if it were in your hand.

Watchful Instructor(Foundation)
    [Fire, Good, Void]
    First F: Destroy this foundation, reveal 1 [Fire] and [Good] card in your hand: Players may not play abilities that would draw or add cards to a players hand for the rest of this combat phase.

Young Mercenary[U](Foundation)
    [Fire, Good, Life]
    F: Destroy this foundation: Until the beginning of your next turn, the difficulty of attack cards cannot be modified by effects.
    E: Destroy 1 commited foundation: Your opponent commits 1 card in their staging area. Only playable durring your attack.

Now a little gimick to Team Ikari's foundations... you'll notice as you read thru that they each have their own little "you commit me... something good/bad happens" this will be a theme throughout them... First we have Accomplished Grappler... your opponent uses Stun or any form of lockdown to hit this card... -1/-1 to all their attacks this turn... nice... also a nice hand refill ability with multiples of this out, i like it. Action Hero2, yeah... you wanna play a reversal to my attack... discard cards to play it... yeah this card is pretty good... probably one of the cards that boarderline made Vespara's playablilty go down. Comfort in a Bottle, hmm a way to cycle thru my deck for cards i need... if only it wasn't Unique... Heidern's Prodigy, being able to commit an opponent's ANNOYING asset for commiting this card to pass a check, nice; being able to look at what cards are on top of your deck... icing on the cake. Hidden Laughter, well... this card is obviously a better card than it looks like... ever almost over extended trying to build on a turn? here's your foundation that ignores progressive, also make note that this includes blocking... so if your opponent thinks clogging your card pool up is gonna make blocking THAT much more difficult, well this card says otherwise, also it can re-ready itself for 1 momentum... eh... the rest of the card is what makes it good. Leona's Orochi Blood, well lets see here... multiples of these are a free +1-4 damage each turn, always a good thing... and an emergency speed pump or redux for just blowing it up, yes nice. Limitless Strength, wow... commit it for an enhance's cost and give it +3 damage ON TOP of whatever the enhance is... yeah... i like it. Orders from Heidern... see above, also it keeps your opponent from LOOPING attacks or kicking them from their card pool to keep their attacks coming at you. Plays with Knives, one very good use for this that i saw... Ivy7 plus this plus Switching Weapon Styles, now you don't have to worry about Genius Alchemist anymore, plus this card has a block. Tough and Cool, +2 speed eh... nice... and as an enhance you get a free use out of a card from last block "Tira's Contract"... because being able to block with cards outside of your hand as though they were in your hand is always a good thing. Watchful Instructor... well again... remember what was said about a card that shuts certain deck types down, this is one of those cards... because being able to make it to where NO CARDS may be drawn or added to a hand durring this combat phase is always a very dangerous thing for either player... yeah you'd almost never use it in Clark himself... but i'm sure if you see a very draw heavy or retrieval heavy deck across from you that can do stuff on your turn, this will be the first card you want down to deal with them. Young Mercenary, well here's a card that can tell cards like Soul Thresher & Playful Slice, NO! it also allows you to use your commited foundations 1 more time durring your attack to effectively tap your opponent down quickly.

Now as to who i'm gonna build for this article, that's a no-brainer... Leona Heidern was one of my favorites from the game so she'll be who i make, and keeping with a simple theme i'm gonna try to make it to where MOST of the cards in the deck will be both [Fire] and [Good].

Character(1)
    Leona3

Action(4)
    Earring Bomb x4 2/5 Ranged +1M

Asset(3)
    Team Ikari Warriors x3 2/5 Ally Unique

Attack(20)
    Baltic Launcher2 x4 2/3 0M4 Ranged +3M
    Fire Shadow x4 3/3 3L3 +0H
    Hilt Impact x4 4/3 3H3 Stun: 2 +1M
    Leona Blade x4 5/2 3M8 Weapon Combo: Ranged +2L
    V-Slasher x4 4/3 4H3 +2H

Foundation(40)
    Action Hero2 x4 2/6
    Heidern's Prodigy x4 2/5
    Hidden Laughter x4 2/5 +3M
    Hope for One's People x4 0/5 +3H
    Hunt for Jin x4 1/5 +2L
    Leona's Orochi Blood x4 2/5 +2M
    Limitless Strength x4 3/5
    Man Behind the Mask x4 0/5 +3M
    Orders From Heidern x4 2/5 +3M
    Young Mercenary x4 2/5 +3M

Until next time when I review Team Fatal Fury(probably in the next few days) this is NJ "Brock" Spade Signing off
    Last edited by NJBrock22; 07-10-2013 at 10:19 PM.