Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me, or are Death decks pretty similar?

Is it just me, or are Death decks pretty similar?

Maybe it's just me or something...but every Death deck I've built (and try to build...since I WAS working on Death Dan*...) seems to be exactly the same. I mean...sure, I don't have a LOT of the newer stuff, but it just seems to me that they're all pretty much the same (in Legacy anyways). It usually ends up like so for me.

4x Mega Stake
    4x Delta A
    1x Shoulder Rush
    2x Soul-Piette (would be x4)
    1x Monster Lariat (would be x4)
    4x Wandering Monk
    4x Lost Memories
    2x Tira's Contracts (would be x4)
    3x YWNE
    3x Yoga Mastery
    4x Tsuji Hayate
    4x A Beautiful Nightmare
    2x Roam the World (normally x4)
    4x F&R
    4x Devil of Daybreak
    2x Superiority (or 4x of Lord Raptor's version)
    4x Pieces of Eight

That's GENERALLY how it looks...first character I really did this with was Bishamon, then it went to Lilith which was pretty much the same, and now Dan which is....pretty similar. Just wondering if anyone else notices this or not. Granted, that's all I remember seeing in my Death deck, but was curious about this so thought I'd ask.

*Goes off to find another deck to build other than Death ^^;; *

Well, sad to say, if you can find a good reason to NOT include one of these cards, please. We're all ears.

No seriously.

(Also, is it Mega STAKE or Mega SPIKE? The throw is Spike, right?)

Head Judge
    Well, TBH I don't see why you're running that many attacks (PLUS YWNE, you're running like 23 3ccs). Delta A is kinda mediocre, should rather be Drop Kick. Also Soul-Piette, Cryokenesis is better if you really want a reversal without a 2cc.

Also, doubling up on Yoga and Pieces is a bit much especially with Wandering Monk also in the deck (11 4diff foundations with 23 3ccs?), and you aren't running Megalomania, Soul Power, Fortune Teller, Glimpse of Fate, Preparation, Tiamat's Rampage...

And that's before introducing newer cards to the mix. Merciless Fighter/Hunt is On, Maniacal Laughter, Need to Destroy (LOL TIAMAT'S WITH NEED TO DESTROY), Ka Technique, Treacherous Offspring, Cold and Indifferent, Lion Slayer if you're Cody, Maniacal Laughter, Spinning Demon, Demon Slayer... and that's just from Tekken.

So no, I don't see all Death decks being the same. We just built a fun one, actually, off the Rera* promo. With Merciless Fighter she can throw out pretty good damage, and her ability combined with wonderful cards like Intolerant of Failure makes for some huge turns.
    hay guise, im ofishul

Oldschool Deck articles! I II III IV V

Ka Technique is full of hilarity. I remember going to Ft. Myers back in SCC and having a match where I was playing J's Hilde and he looked at me funny when I said "If this attack deals damage, I choose a foundation or asset and blank it". He says, "hold on, if THIS attack?" Because it was his attack.

That was the most one-sided match I've ever had in my life. Back before rotation, when Holding Ground, Stone Mail were still legal and Shadowar had just been released. Hilde vs. Anakaris. Then game 2, I sided into Rashotep. More extreme one-sidedness.

But thanks to that I was able to place in SOMETHING. Second place in teams lol

@Tag: I usually always run about 16-20 attacks. Never did like running 12 or less (mainly because I ALWAYS somehow find a way to check my attacks. I've gone matches with decks that run 20 attacks to NEVER see a single attack ever due to them being checked for playing foundations...). While Glimpse I have considered multiple times, I just never thought it'd be worth it (then again, I could be wrong) while with Fortune Teller...if there was more than 1, I WOULD use it (same with Soul Power. I mean, why WOULDN'T anyone use that stupid card? lol). Tiamat's...I know that card's good but...dunno how I feel about it.

As for the Yoga's, those are more or less in there just for the 6 CC than to play. Megalomania, thought about it, but not really that many cards I think that would match 2 or more resources with my characters (though I do have a Death toolbox atm so it may now). Delta A was more or less a filler attack (more for a block since Death seems to not like high blocks...then again, Air didn't seem to like high blocks that much either x_x). Also, 2CC? Soul-Piette is a 3CC if that's what you're referring to being the 2CC o.o?

these are the foundations you need/should be running in a death deck in leagcy imo

4x Yoga Mastery
    4x Friends and Rivals
    4x Megalomania
    4x Manifest Destiny
    4x Lost Memories
    4x Fortune Teller
    4x Roam the World
    4x Inhuman Perception

Hulking brute maybe for the draw.

These are like MANDATORY imo in any death deck to combat all the bs you will run into in legacy.

the mandatory orange cards are imo Launcher/Shoulder rush, knight breaker/Timmy's one or the other piece of the combo imo. with other utility cards like ichi and tsuji or maybe another cheap orange card to combat ywne.

these are the characters you should consider for death in legacy
    blue cody 7/24
    Donovan 7/20 and insane card draw off like shoulder rush, mega spike, jaw smash etc.
    dhalsim 8/20
    naks 8/19
    adon 8/22(he is actually disguisting off death, real with the right orange cards, plus 8 22 is godlike)
    Victor with the loop and all the death control, with hulking brute to cheat his handsize.
    tira, nuff said
    Last edited by ScottGaines; 08-23-2010 at 01:34 PM.
    Aka The Godfather of Orange Card Blue Card

2007: 6th Blackthorn Tn AOP
    2008: 4th KY AOP. 23rd US Nats, 34th Worlds, T16 Team Worlds, 5th Legacy Worlds.
    2009: 9th at SEC, 11th PotM, 1st PotM legacy, 4th at KY Regionals, 21st US Nats, T8 Team Nats, 3rd Legacy Worlds, 7th team worlds
    2010: 2nd Legacy Worlds, 16th Worlds
    2012: 1st Blackthorn AOP, 6th @ 2nd Blackthorn AOP, 5th SE RB #1 ATL, 2nd at SE RB #2 Blackthorn
    2013: 9th Legacy Worlds(2nd after swiss) 6th Team Worlds

Head Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenomic View Post
    @Tag: I usually always run about 16-20 attacks. Never did like running 12 or less (mainly because I ALWAYS somehow find a way to check my attacks. I've gone matches with decks that run 20 attacks to NEVER see a single attack ever due to them being checked for playing foundations...).
    Well I'm not saying you should only run 12 or fewer attacks, I'm just saying you're running 20 attacks and 3 YWNE for a backbreaking 23 3ccs. I've personally never run that many 3ccs outside a hilariously janky 8th Bill deck that relied heavily on hitting Hop/Jackknife Kick or a 2nd turn Challenge the Master (even on a tapout) to win, and Rare Yun-Seong because he just doesn't care at all.

While Glimpse I have considered multiple times, I just never thought it'd be worth it (then again, I could be wrong) while with Fortune Teller...if there was more than 1, I WOULD use it (same with Soul Power. I mean, why WOULDN'T anyone use that stupid card? lol).
    Glimpse stacks your checks for the turn so you KNOW for a FACT how many foundations you'll have to commit for the turn (if any) and you can push the attacks to the bottom of the 6 cards you see to make sure you DRAW THEM next turn! It's just absurdly good. Fortune Teller ensures control checks but not quite as consistently. The AoP I won, I used both in my deck lol.

Tiamat's...I know that card's good but...dunno how I feel about it.
    It really depends on the character. If you're a 6 hand size character Timmy's isn't that reliable but I was just throwing out suggestions. It straight up wins the game once played, though - not much is gonna stop it against your Death foundations.

As for the Yoga's, those are more or less in there just for the 6 CC than to play. Megalomania, thought about it, but not really that many cards I think that would match 2 or more resources with my characters (though I do have a Death toolbox atm so it may now).
    Even if there's only a handful of cards that match 2 resources, if a handful of those have blocks, Megalomania is still great for spamming out. Maybe Unkown Force would be better if you don't match enough for Megalo, but one of those types of cards is practically mandatory really.

Delta A was more or less a filler attack (more for a block since Death seems to not like high blocks...then again, Air didn't seem to like high blocks that much either x_x). Also, 2CC? Soul-Piette is a 3CC if that's what you're referring to being the 2CC o.o?
    I know Soul-Piette is a 3cc, I said the 2cc thing because the only Death reversals better than Cryokenesis are 2ccs or less (Captive Serpent Jab, Darkness Blade, Imeru Shikite, Namtar's Claw, Morning Glories, Pink Blossoms, Shadow Blade, Soul Spiral). Actually I take that back, there's also Soul Fist and Enkidu the Valiant but those aren't as good as most of the 2cc ones.

Drop Kick is pretty much just better all around than Delta A, it even still has the high block. If you want a ridiculously good high block for Death, you could also go with good old Nergal's Poison Sting lol. Or for better filler attacks there's also stuff like Ichi no Tachi, Harmonic Wing, Mega Spike (also a high block!)...
    hay guise, im ofishul

Oldschool Deck articles! I II III IV V

What would be good replacements for Shoulder/Launcher (if you have none or only 1 of them) and Breaker/Tiamat (same here)? As well as Inhuman Perception (if none are avialble), FT (if only 1), and Manifest (if only 1)? I was thinking that Sole Survivor would be decent (if used with some of Demitri's stuff perhaps?). Removed 2x Mega Stakes for 4x Ichis since those are rather nice (haven't tested, but I remember them being nice), and Delta A for the Drop Kicks (only 2 though) and Tiamat's, and just got rid of the Soul-Piettes for less 3CCs.

As for characters, wouldn't Lilith*, Cassie***, Dan*, or Jenet* work as well? Lilith more for the "I get anything back" deal, Cassie for making those slow things like Shoulders and Tiamat's faster, Dan just for the possibility of damage redux and the card draw, and Jenet well....cuz she's a 8HS character lol?

I guess this would almost go to the Deck Building thread wouldn't it? ^^;; Also, still don't really like that Dhalsim lol...

EDIT: You know what guys? I'll just make the thread on the Death toolbox deck I have over on the DB forums and let that go there. I plan on making a Life toolbox too since that's almost how I feel about Death...almost...lol
    Last edited by Xenomic; 08-23-2010 at 02:43 PM.

other death kills that are viable are going off symbol for a one shot with discard, like high plasma beam, moonbeam slicer etc.

other death orange cards are you can mentally unstable, reanimate loop mega spike with victor, that deck is really really good.

death/fire can kill super easy with chain throw cheatery. death/evil the same etc.
    Aka The Godfather of Orange Card Blue Card

2007: 6th Blackthorn Tn AOP
    2008: 4th KY AOP. 23rd US Nats, 34th Worlds, T16 Team Worlds, 5th Legacy Worlds.
    2009: 9th at SEC, 11th PotM, 1st PotM legacy, 4th at KY Regionals, 21st US Nats, T8 Team Nats, 3rd Legacy Worlds, 7th team worlds
    2010: 2nd Legacy Worlds, 16th Worlds
    2012: 1st Blackthorn AOP, 6th @ 2nd Blackthorn AOP, 5th SE RB #1 ATL, 2nd at SE RB #2 Blackthorn
    2013: 9th Legacy Worlds(2nd after swiss) 6th Team Worlds

This thread is making me tear through my stocks to build Death(?) Adon. Is a momentum gen for Death needed to fuel Timmy's or is it just flat out wallop?
    The infinite hype machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ATLDrew View Post
    Ya'll should be Team Emotional Rollercoaster. Thomas is super hype about everything, Syclic is super sad about everything, and Trips just says whatever the hell he is thinking.
    Trades